Menu

S/O best homeschool Curriculum ever

BearWallowSchool

AAS too many pieces and too much time on spelling here!

LOE Foundations- we got through A, B, and C but it made me twitchy with all of the words cut out for games

Miquon

Science programs with a weekly demonstration or experiment using household items

Any program that requires me to get specific books from the library every week. If I don't own the books it rarely gets done.

I thought I would be a hands on learning through games kind of homeschool mom but in reality we all prefer a get it done straightforward approach.

• Like 2

AAS too many pieces and too much time on spelling here!

LOE Foundations- we got through A, B, and C but it made me twitchy with all of the words cut out for games

Miquon

Science programs with a weekly demonstration or experiment using household items

Any program that requires me to get specific books from the library every week. If I don't own the books it rarely gets done.

I thought I would be a hands on learning through games kind of homeschool mom but in reality we all prefer a get it done straightforward approach.

That's funny. AAS and Miquon are two of my streamlined get-it-done types. It helps that we use an app for AAS instead of tiles.

BFSU never happened here. Anything involving crafts never happen here. So the SOTW activity book never happened. I Speak Latin didn't make it past 1 day. I need "do-the-next-thing" style curricula without lots of pieces. If I have to time books from the library, that doesn't work either.

Oh, MEP reception. Tried it like 3 times. Nope.

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 1

What is your “fancy†stuff that sounded so wonderful, but never got done?

AAS- I’ve tried to make it work more than once. Started R&S 4 at the beginning of January and it’s getting done after not doing ANY spelling for MONTHS!!!

AAS was a bust here too. I've only tried it once (so far) and was just starting to feel tempted to try it again, but your post has me reconsidering 😊 Maybe I should look at R&S...

Drawing With Children. It's not all that fancy, I suppose, but I got excited about it reading various threads and then was thrilled to find it it used. I put a bunch of time into lesson planning for it, hut I never really got my mind around it and it fizzled after a few lessons. I still think it's too bad...

• Like 4

I tend to block out such things, the ones that stick in my head as especially bad....

AAS- tried it twice- 

NOEO Science- made it a couple of weeks, maybe a month- 

Atelier Art- the kids didn't like it

Miquon- I've done a bit with both my older girls but never kept with it, again neither of them much cared for it. With my last girl, I'm going to try really hard to just use MiF, I really love the K book especially.

We did BFSU for awhile, dropped it, did it again. I finally sold it. That has been so long ago I don't even remember the specifics. 

I used LoE all the way through with 2 girls but I didn't do all the games we were supposed to do.

I used Right Start with ds all the way through, I tried it with both girls and they both hated it, it was PERFECT for him, truly, I have many fond memories of using it with him.

I used MCT with ds, again it was a great fit for him. But I just started it again this spring with dd1 and ds, dd1 had decided she didn't like FLL and ds finished his grammar for the year and I already had MCT Essay Voyage (bought for $5 used ages ago and had Island from using with ds)- just yesterday I retired them again. I don't have the mental energy now to do them, they were going fine but life is crazy right now.

• Like 1

I was just thinking the same thing about science I hate the way all the programs look and while I like the idea of demonstrations and such I just don't want to do them. My son loved all the intensive programs and it worked well with him being the oldest but now with schooling more I don't have as much time and my girls seem to hate those things anyway, they are much more independent, just give me workbook/textbook kind of girls.

• Like 1

So far, I've avoided really large curriculum purchases that didn't get done because I second guess myself a lot before it gets done.

The one thing that has never really gotten done is every Spanish curriculum I have purchased. There's just not enough hours. SSS worked for a bit, but then I had a baby and got busy. The only thing that helped Spanish get done was Duolingo...and it was a free app my son started doing!

Also science curricula with tons of experiments. I want to be a hands on science experiment person, but it's just a timing thing.

Well, the whole list might be quite embarrassing  :lol:

I have homeschooled for a total of 15 years if you count pre-k.  When they were little I was convinced that the right curriculum would make it all magic.  

Off the top of my head ..... sonlight, my father's world, classical conversations, IEW (like I could never actually get that done), and I could go on and on.  A fortune spent on things that I couldn't quite execute the way I wanted (which was perfectly, by the way).  Part of the issue was me.  I would spend tons of time trying to plan it to be perfect and when I couldn't execute it the way I wanted, I would quit.  It turned out there wasn't magic after all.  The reality, nothing is perfect.  Everything has flaws because we are human and we are flawed.  And life gets crazy too.  Something that requires oodles of time to execute perfectly just can't always happen perfectly.  

I think this was mentioned by someone in my original post.  You can take on a complicated, time consuming or ideal subject here or there but you can't do that for every single subject. It is just too much.  We have limits as moms.  Especially when you have more than 1 kid that you are homeschooling, have little ones, or have health issues.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 4

Hmmm....what's the character limit for a post? :)

Seriously, I have PAGES of lists of curriculum that didn't work out for one reason or another.

This for me. I had "grass is greener" syndrome really bad when the girls were younger.

Things we dropped:

AAR/AAS -- more than once!!

McRuffy

MFW K -- kindergarten drop-out!!

Pretty much every phonics program known to man

Right Start Math Games - never even used before selling

Veritas SP history - dropped halfway through Ancients and early-American

BSGFAA

I can't even remember them all. I've blocked the memories out of shame.

Oh man, anything with too many moving parts. I love the idea of all in one LA for example but I either don't trust it to be enough or it is too much effort. Trail Guide to Learning barely made it here 2 weeks. I think it looks great but I just cannot do it. Saxon...I am not sure why but the first 3 grade levels are just too much for me to handle.

A plug for AAS and AAR. We are getting those done now because we use the new app and its great. So easy and I don't have to spend 10 minutes everyday putting the tiles back in order after my 3 year old "plays" with them.

Ditto about the app. So simple. I also don't use the card box, just the book. I note the rules to review on a lined page and tuck it into the book. AAS is getting done. Partly because it was so necessary...

• Like 1

This for me. I had "grass is greener" syndrome really bad when the girls were younger.

Things we dropped:

Veritas SP history - dropped halfway through Ancients and early-American

I can't even remember them all. I've blocked the memories out of shame.

Oh no! I have been considering this for this coming school year! Someone on another thread I can no longer find was raving about how engaged their kids were and wanting to learn more history. But the price! :scared: What caused you to drop it?

Oh no! I have been considering this for this coming school year! Someone on another thread I can no longer find was raving about how engaged their kids were and wanting to learn more history. But the price! :scared: What caused you to drop it?

I wouldn't panic, there is always going to be some people who love and some people who don't love certain curriculum. I am often in the minority with my meh feelings for AAS for example. It has worked amazingly for so many people.

We happen to be a SP Veritas History family and my 3 kids cannot get enough of it. Our problem is them wanting to do too many lessons. It is easy for me, they independently do the lessons and I will supplement here and there with some books for them or for me to read aloud. I think it is really easy!

If it makes you feel any better, I attend an umbrella school and I personally know 6 other families currently using it and they too all rave about it.

• Like 1

Yep, everything is so subjective. VP would've worked better for us, had we had it unlocked from the beginning. But we didn't, so we couldn't skip the parts that we found tedious (the games, the review questions, the memory song). We also don't like to do history so very many days a week, nor am I as detail/date focused in my personal approach to teaching history.

So...just a poor fit for our family. It also may work better for a family that has less screen time, in general. My kids weren't impressed with the games or the videos because, well, they'd much rather be doing other games/videos. It wasn't funfunfun...it was most definitely school.

It is easy to implement, though! I wish my kids liked it more. I definitely recommend buying it when it's on sale (usually $99, still pricey but not so bad).

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

Yep, everything is so subjective. VP would've worked better for us, had we had it unlocked from the beginning. But we didn't, so we couldn't skip the parts that we found tedious (the games, the review questions, the memory song). We also don't like to do history so very many days a week, nor am I as detail/date focused in my personal approach to teaching history.

So...just a poor fit for our family. It also may work better for a family that has less screen time, in general. My kids weren't impressed with the games or the videos because, well, they'd much rather be doing other games/videos. It wasn't funfunfun...it was most definitely school.

It is easy to implement, though! I wish my kids liked it more. I definitely recommend buying it when it's on sale (usually $99, still pricey but not so bad).

This is a good point. We are tech free so the games were considered super fun by my crew haha.

• Like 2

All About Reading. (Went crying back to OPGTTR very quickly!)

Miquon and Life of Fred. I’m just disinterested in adding fun math on after we finish real math.

Latin for Children has been a struggle this year. There are long boring videos. One worksheet and a bunch of new vocab. I can’t figure out how to schedule it and practice the vocab and keep moving forward.

BFSU - While it is a fantastic and thorough program, I became overwhelmed every time I tried to put something together from that book. It just wasn't worth it for us when my kiddo ended up getting more out of living books, documentaries/shows, and experiments we did from kits on our own.

SOTW - Not fancy per se, but this one was hard to let go of. I LOVE it and had such high hopes but it confused my DS with the way it switched from historical facts to stories and myths. He had trouble deciphering truth from fiction. We let it go after a few chapters of volume 1. I'm hoping to go back to it at some point, if for nothing else than just to read a good book aloud together. Maybe this upcoming school year or even over the summer...

Pretty much every math program we've tried. MUS and BJU Math at the top of the list. Things start out okay but we would quickly lose steam. Recently switched to MM and things have been going pretty good. DD actually said she likes MM today. I asked why and gotta admit, her reason makes sense. "You only make me do it for 25 minutes, then let me play!" All the others I felt like we had to complete the lesson/worksheet(s) so we didn't get behind. I feel like MM is much more flexible, there's no juggling manipulatives or lesson plans, and it's all right there in front of us. There's no guilt when we stop halfway through a page and the 1st-3rd grade bundle was cheaper than just a single grade of the others.

• Like 1

AAR, I started and stopped this one so many times. A third of the way thru level 4, I finally threw in the towel. My daughter was very happy when I did. Lol

AAS, similar, I started and stopped this at least 3 times with my oldest. Tried it once with my daughter and am contemplating giving it another go with her because she really is an abysmal speller. Giving R&S spelling a try first, it's painless and gets done, but the jury's still out on whether it'll actually improve her spelling.

Singapore math- love the way it teaches, hate the book juggling.

Right Start math- hate all the pieces, but my current 1st grader LOVES it so I'm suffering thru it for now. But anytime life starts happening, this is one of the first things to get dropped.

Edited by vaquitita