Menu

Online math programs for pre-algebra

Maize, are you wanting to completely get rid of paper, or is it that you just want online instruction?  We like Derek Owens, too, but there's still a lot of paper involved; notetaking, practice problems, homework problems, and tests are all done on paper.  

Edited by klmama
  • Like 3

Maize, are you wanting to completely get rid of paper, or is it that you just want online instruction? We like Derek Owens, too, but there's still a lot of paper involved; notetaking, practice problems, homework problems, and tests are all done on paper.

I think he needs to be primarily working on the computer.

I will encourage whatever paper work I can but just getting some math done on a regular basis would be an improvement from where we are at.

In the past he has done Math Mammoth and Beast Academy, with Prodigy for extra practice.

We did do CTC mat for awhile a couple of years ago, I will take another look at that.

I don't know if he is ready to keep up with a live class; I'd have to think about that one. It could be just the motivation he needs, or it could be a disaster.

I think he needs to be primarily working on the computer.

I will encourage whatever paper work I can but just getting some math done on a regular basis would be an improvement from where we are at.

I don't know if he is ready to keep up with a live class; I'd have to think about that one. It could be just the motivation he needs, or it could be a disaster.

The WHA class still requires lots of work on paper, so would not fit your criteria. It moves fairly fast. 

What about Tablet Class? I think DerekSurfs has posted about their classes before. 

• Like 1

Maize, Khan Academy has prealgebra at https://www.khanacademy.org/math/pre-algebra. I think Jean in Newcastle said she used it for her dc, so she might have more info for you.  

Have you looked at ALEKS?  https://www.aleks.com/ I believe it's all on the computer, although I'm not sure if it's really a full course.  They used to give homeschoolers a free month trial - you could ask if that's still available. 

Most live classes are already in progress, so it might not work to join those now.  Derek Owens is not live, so you have more flexibility and there are no other students to waste time during instruction.  If DO's program doesn't work for your ds, you can drop it.  You can choose to do the grading yourself for half price - you just need to ask for that option.  You can print out all of the notetaking pages (text) and practice pages individually to put into a binder, or you can buy them prebound from Lulu in two volumes - chapters 1-4 and 5-10.  Either way, you still have to print out the graded homework pages and tests.  FWIW, my dc is currently in DO's prealgebra and enjoys it.  You can see the syllabus here https://derekowens.com/CourseSyllabuses2.aspx?Location=Online&Day=Monday&Year=2017-2018&Course=Prealgebra&Teacher=Mr.%20Owens. The instructional videos for the first several chapters are free on YouTube.  https://www.youtube.com/user/derekowens    

I hope you figure out something that will work for your ds!

• Like 1

What about Tablet Class? I think DerekSurfs has posted about their classes before.

My oldest is using Tablet Class Pre-Algebra. Tablet Class has lesson videos and solution videos that walk you through every step, but the problems, review, and tests are all done on paper. I suppose you could use a tablet and stylus and write on the screen, but I don't think it sounds like what you're looking for.

• Like 1