Menu

Computer Science Online Classes

You might have already read this thread, but in post 8 I recommended a few excellent programming courses on Udemy. Super cheap, and *awesome* - especially the Web Dev course by Colt Steele. One of the best things about it for a newbie programmer is that he introduces you to lots of excellent free development tools online. And even more importantly, he shows you conventions and best practices (rather than just quick and dirty ways to do things). As you work through the course, you code along with him and develop lots of little projects, which are extrmely helpful at both reviewing what has has taught you previously as well as integrating new learning and giving you a good overall picture of the process. The TA for the course is extremely active in answering questions, too, which is a huge help when you hit a brick wall in a project.

• Like 4

Yes. And that's a big downer, but there seems to be a huge shortage of *live meeting* programming classes (Java, Python, C++).

:lurk5:

It's not just programming either. There appears to be a shortage of *live meeting* computer science classes in general.  :thumbdown:

Edited for typo.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 1

My daughter did the PAHS comp sci A class in 2015-2016 with Lang, and really enjoyed it. She had zero comp sci experience prior and went on to get a 5 on the exam, and "A" grades in subsequent comp sci classes at college. In fact, she was chosen to be a comp sci "grader" this year for one of the classes at school. I don't remember any complaints about disorganization.

Edited by GoodGrief
  • Like 4

My son is currently in the Computer Science Principles class.  He's really enjoying it.  He's a geek (term of endearment) to begin with so he's knows quite a bit of it, but he's learning some as well.  He needs structure and organization (he's ADHD) and seems to feel fine with how this class is going in terms of that.  There is a live component, if you are available to attend, which I think is invaluable for him.

I just asked him what he thinks of the class.  He really likes it and feel like he is learning.  He feels like his teacher is organized and knows what she's talking about (for what that's worth).  Keep in mind, he's 14.

Hope that helps!

-Lisa

• Like 5

My son is currently in the Computer Science Principles class.  He's really enjoying it.  He's a geek (term of endearment) to begin with so he's knows quite a bit of it, but he's learning some as well.  He needs structure and organization (he's ADHD) and seems to feel fine with how this class is going in terms of that.  There is a live component, if you are available to attend, which I think is invaluable for him.

I just asked him what he thinks of the class.  He really likes it and feel like he is learning.  He feels like his teacher is organized and knows what she's talking about (for what that's worth).  Keep in mind, he's 14.

Hope that helps!

-Lisa

Thanks! Do you have any insight into how the class is structured? Is it mostly group work or independent work?  If it's a mix, how often is there required group work? Once a week, once a month, every day? 

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 1

We took Edhesive last year - I don't know if you were looking into that. Great course, and though not live, the videos/activities were engaging and my son earned a 4 on the AP CS-A exam.

We'll be using them for AP Stats this coming year. For $150, you can't beat the price.

Thanks! 

Are there due dates of any kind? How does grading work?

Edhesive is self-paced. We started really late in the game, in Nov/Dec when my ds decided he wanted to try AP CS. You work module to module, so they release one week's worth of material at a time - (for us, we were a couple months behind, so could always work ahead as we got caught up). This would include videos by Mrs. Dovi (my ds liked her), and there were activities. You would work with the javascript you learned online in a javascript-simulator type program and create code. You can ask questions on the discussion board and get answers quickly. Exams/quizzes would come up at the end of each unit, and all is graded. You got a final grade with the class based on activities/quizzes/exams. It used to be free, but now it's only the $150 homeschool fee. (We paid $150 anyway for the homeschooler coach's version - which was great as I had access to written exams to use as practice ahead of his online tests/exams, etc)

• Like 4

Thanks! Are the quizzes and exams on set dates or just when the student gets around to them? 

Are most of the students working through the class material every week or are there students at all different points of the class at any given time?

Nope, everything is self-paced. Like Derek Owens really. I'd say most kids are more or less on track week to week - which did make it harder for my son who was about 3 months behind as the discussion board Qs were more geared to current work.

• Like 1

We are also using Edhesive. Ds is in the Intro class and really likes it. I think he will do the AP class next year.

The self-paced nature has worked for us as it’s been nice to have the flexibility to do more or less each week depending on his workload in other classes. But since I can see exactly where he is in the modules I can easily make sure he is keeping up.

• Like 2

Thanks! Do you have any insight into how the class is structured? Is it mostly group work or independent work? If it's a mix, how often is there required group work? Once a week, once a month, every day?

Please forgive my very delayed reply to your questions. I just saw this.

The teacher uses Schoology for assignments and join.me for the live class portion. Also, she uses the code.org curriculum. My son said that the teacher goes over the past material at the beginning of class and then goes over the upcoming work highlighting anything that might be confusing, etc.

He said the majority is independent work. However, they do have group projects. He thinks the group projects happen about once a month.

Hope that helps!

Lisa

• Like 2

Edhesive classes can be listed as AP, correct? I couldn't find it listed on the site, but I'm presuming the syllabuses/syllabi have been approved. Does anyone know where to find this information?

in theory they should be in:

https://apcourseaudit.inflexion.org/ledger/

I tried "Edhesive"  and got a whole lot of worthless hits.  Who designs this crap SW??

It may be out of date anyways if their first approval was this school year.

You may have to contact Edhesive to see if they have College Board approval.

Has anyone looked at The Potter's School for Computer classes?

My son is taking Intro to Computer Programming there this year- and we are planning

either C++ next year, or Game Programming I.

They also have a Java course with a supplement for an AP track.

I also looked at Derek Owens- but when I looked/contacted him- his course was not yet online. I see ^^^ that it now is.

Interested in anyone's thoughts.

Rebecca

• Like 1