Menu

Abeka arithmetic

countrymum

I am using Abeka arithmetic for 1st and k this year and like it. Is there any reason not to keep up with it through 7th grade?? Does anyone else like it? I pull in some Rod and Staff drill and some word problems from Strayer Upton sometimes...Should I switch to one of those for our main math instead?

Edited by Rjha

Back in the day, many jumped ship from Abeka to Saxon between Abeka 3 to Saxon 5/4. Abeka 3, in my experience, starts off quickly and doesn't let up on new skills until halfway through. Those who left complained of how difficult it was, often abandoning before getting halfway through Arithmetic 3. I completely understand this as Arithmetic 1 and 2 start off with a lot of review and then gradually ramp up in difficulty. Book 3 is a different animal.

Those who stick with it find that Arithmetic 4-6 introduce new skills slowly and drill the old ones with bigger and bigger numbers. So, if your kid needs the practice and slower pace with lots & lots of practice (as many of mine do), it is a good series to stick with. If you decide to switch at this point, a placement test is often advised because sometimes you'll place higher in other programs after Abeka 3.

That doesn't mean there aren't holes. Abeka's Scope & Sequence doesn't push geometry or geometrical figures as much in the younger levels as some other programs (like Horizons). They are also light on metric practice in the earlier years, IMO.

I've used Arithmetic 1 - Algebra 1 (old edition), but never used their Basic Mathematics 7 book. I used Pre-Algebra twice, but with my third child, I determined to use a different Pre-Algebra program. My fourth & fifth kids will also switch out at or before Pre-A. I'm waiting to see how my third kid does.  :coolgleamA:

As long as you are liking it and finding that it works, I'd stick with it. When it doesn't work or there are copious tears, I wouldn't feel bad about bailing to another program. (Most of) My kids need the spiral aspect of skill introduction and the massive amounts of practice that Abeka offers. I teach things conceptually when the kids need it, adapting the program to our needs.

I am using Abeka arithmetic for 1st and k this year and like it. Is there any reason not to keep up with it through 7th grade?? Does anyone else like it? I pull in some Rod and Staff drill and some word problems from Strayer Upton sometimes...Should I switch to one of those for our main math instead?

I like using the strayer Upton, I use it for my both my girls and my son

I loved Abeka and still use it for K.  I'm fine with the scope and sequence, and I think it gives a solid foundation in math.  My reason for switching was that so much of the program was contained in the teacher's guides.  But the teacher's guides have WAY MORE information and review than I needed.  My personality had a hard time sorting through it all after the 2nd grade level.  We switched to CLE because at the 3rd grade level, the teaching is in the student books.  I have 5 kids and didn't have time to keep up with that many teacher's guides. I was very pleased with the switch around 3rd grade.

(I should note that we no longer use CLE now either)

• Like 1