Menu

2018-2019 planning for your AL

SeaConquest

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

Sorta related, but are any ALs in Dicentra's new chem class? We are hoping to do Clover Creek in 5th and Dicentra's class in 6th to prepare for APs or DE classes in middle school. 

None here, but an fyi for Clover Creek - I think the requirements were to have completed Algebra, as she provides Algebra based homework. Not sure if concurrent is an option.

I would love to do Dicentra's class after but alas the plan right now is to transition back to middle school by eighth. We're tapping out on socialization apparently and I can't clone myself unfortunately. Maybe hire another driver. Or get another husband. Options....

2 hours ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

None here, but an fyi for Clover Creek - I think the requirements were to have completed Algebra, as she provides Algebra based homework. Not sure if concurrent is an option.

I would love to do Dicentra's class after but alas the plan right now is to transition back to middle school by eighth. We're tapping out on socialization apparently and I can't clone myself unfortunately. Maybe hire another driver. Or get another husband. Options....

Thanks. I already talked to Jetta about it (and got on the interest list, since it fills up so fast). Sacha is doing AoPS PA and a regular algebra (Jacobs) at the same time next year to try to get into Epsilon (they want algebra to apply). He will take AoPS Algebra concurrent with Jetta's class in 5th, and she said that was fine.

• Like 2

I have heard of Clover Creek Physics, but I am unsure what Dicentra’s class is. Would you mind sharing? 

I am a bit lost about science plans for next year. I think we might sign up for a co-op for enrichment. One of the classes offered is a science fair advisory. He is still working on his turbine. He has had trouble with his bridge rectifier. This plus hopefully getting a more mentor relationship with local professor help fill the science spot, but his projects are always on-going and I need something else. Maybe spend the year on astronomy and draw lots of star charts. This seems basic to me, but I am sure we can find some topic to delve into. I will try to get a plan together soon to post, but open to ideas.

15 hours ago, arliemaria said:

I have heard of Clover Creek Physics, but I am unsure what Dicentra’s class is. Would you mind sharing? 

I am a bit lost about science plans for next year. I think we might sign up for a co-op for enrichment. One of the classes offered is a science fair advisory. He is still working on his turbine. He has had trouble with his bridge rectifier. This plus hopefully getting a more mentor relationship with local professor help fill the science spot, but his projects are always on-going and I need something else. Maybe spend the year on astronomy and draw lots of star charts. This seems basic to me, but I am sure we can find some topic to delve into. I will try to get a plan together soon to post, but open to ideas.

Sure. http://www.clovervalleychemistry.com/

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 9:00 AM, Runningmom80 said:

I am finally ready to post my plans!

(well what I have of them)

oldest (11.5) seventh grade

• BYL year 8 (History of Science)
  • Lord of the Rings class at G3
  • Bravewriter passion for fiction online
  • Science - Physics (I need to figure out something for this)
  • Math - Finish up Jacobs Algebra and start Geometry somehow lol

twins: (8) third grade

• Singapore math for DD and BA for DS
  • mystery science 
  • history unboxed
  • lots of Art
  • Bravewriter Partnership Writing
  • MCT Island

Decided against BYL.  As much as I love the idea of it, and I obviously do because I post that I'm using it every year, ? it's not going to work for my asynchronous guy.

So he's doing 

• Online G3 Lord of the Rings study in the Fall, and something else they offer for Spring
  • Oak Meadow Chemistry (unless i can get us into this clover valley situation)
  • Finish Jacobs, start Geometry, probably Derek Owens
  • Oak Meadow World History & Geography
  • Masterclasses! Jane Goodall and Judy Blume ?
  • HSA for Spanish (we've been so very happy with this)
  •  

In other news, one of my twins is probably going to public school!  I'm really conflicted about it. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 7:33 AM, Runningmom80 said:

Decided against BYL.  As much as I love the idea of it, and I obviously do because I post that I'm using it every year, ? it's not going to work for my asynchronous guy.

So he's doing 

• Online G3 Lord of the Rings study in the Fall, and something else they offer for Spring
  •  

In other news, one of my twins is probably going to public school!  I'm really conflicted about it. 

Half my kids go to public school.  It was hard to make the decision, but it's worked out very well.  Everyone is happy and getting their needs met.  Just curious, what's spurring the change?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cake and Pi said:

Half my kids go to public school.  It was hard to make the decision, but it's worked out very well.  Everyone is happy and getting their needs met.  Just curious, what's spurring the change?

She is! She’s a bubbly extrovert, she needs lots of interaction on a daily basis that I just can’t give her. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2018 at 1:15 PM, FarmingMomma said:

My son is 11 and will be in 6th grade next year.

Math: Saxon 8/7 w/ Pre-algebra

English: Rod and Staff 7, finish up WWS 1 and Start WWS 2  Research Writing Intensive from Open Tent Academy in July, then the second half of WWS 1. Also a few Bravewriter Arrows

History: All American History Vols. 1 and 2, plus a short reading list  Just Vol. 1, and a long list of books about explorers, particularly the journals of Lewis & Clark.  If we move to Canada as we are hoping to, I'll keep the American history and add in Canadian history, focusing on explorers of all of North America

Science: Guest Hollow Chemistry in the Kitchen, The Joy of Chemistry, and probably some short online science classes from Outschool. Science is his passion and he will probably add plenty more to this list.  Also the Memoria press insects and birds studies that we never finished

Latin: Second Form Latin

Greek: ?? We might do Elementary Greek 2, or we might hold off on continuing Greek for now  We'll pick back up with Greek in a couple of years

French: Breaking the French Barrier 2  Middle school French online with Global Goose Languages

Piano and Guitar

4-H: lots of science and animal projects

Co-op: Hopefully a PE class and chess club  If we move there probably won't be a homeschool co-op

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Five months after originally posting and things are looking looking very, very different.  It seems like hardly anything is the same, lol!  Maybe I should wait until mid-summer to begin planning next year...  

This is all pretty much finalized now.

DS#1 - 10yo, grade 5

• Finish AoPS Online Prealgebra courses, begin Intro to Algebra (not sure about doing it  through AoPS Online, though)
  • MCT Voyage, likely saving the essay writing book for next year
  • OnlineG3 Lightning Lit 7, and then maybe 8 depending on how 7 goes
  • International Towne macroeconomics
  • Pottery class
  • Sewing class 

DS#3 - 6yo, grade complicated

• AoPS Prealgebra
  • MCT Town 
  • Lego Mindstorms
  • Beginning Spanish class
  • Maker Space class

Both boys together

• Writing and Rhetoric Fable and Narrative I (and perhaps Narrative II?)
  • Sequential Spelling 2
  • REAL Science Odyssey Astronomy 2, then the 2nd semester of RSO Bio 2
  • Hakim's History of US books 5-10 as a history spine with related documentaries
  • Swimming lessons
  • Piano class
  • Cooking class
  • Coding class at HS enrichment program, Python for Kids at home
  • Shop with Daddy (building a gas powered go cart)
  • Supplemental stuff one or both will probably use inconsistently for at least some part of the year: Language Mechanic, A Sentence a Day, All About Homophones, Vocabulary Workshop, Reading Detective, Killgallons elementary books, Evan-Moor Daily Geography, Blast Off with Logic series, Sharon Kay Philosophy, Algebra Lab Gear, Beast Academy 5 guides, Patty Paper Geometry, RightStart level G, etc.
Edited by Cake and Pi
to add classes done through our HS enrichment program

I had initially responded to this back in January when we had only a basic outline of a plan and had not yet known for sure or when we would be moving from NJ to NC. With the move, dd changed dual enrollment to a community college in our new town. In NC her DE is free but does require a bit more "hoop jumping"...there are courses she is required to take before she is able to take the courses she is really interested in. So, now she has taken the placements tests and is registered for fall classes which begin in a little less than a month. We forgot school begins earlier here in the south.

Here is the current plan for her 11th grade year...

Fall Dual Enrollment (all online): English 112, Sociology 1, Statistics, and a 1 credit required course about transferring to a university

All year: French 3 and Irish 

Dd will decide her spring dual enrollment classes in a couple months but with last school year's classes, all of which transferred, and the current fall semester, she only has two more required courses...a science and a higher level English so will pick one of each and another course or two.

She has a busy music year coming up with a two week tour of the west coast in late September, a weekend camp and trip to Ireland in October, and another visit to Thailand in January. She has two, possibly three, recording projects in the works and is continuing work on her novel and her new vegan blog. She also currently has five fiddle students she is enjoying teaching online. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 9:33 AM, Runningmom80 said:

So he's doing 

•  

Well it's been a hot minute. I'm a little unraveled but I'll get back on track. Here's my update:

- No one is going to school, we just like our freedom too much. Maybe by high school we will be ready. 

- I had to come back to this thread to see what I had planned because we moved and I completely dropped the ball on preparing for the school year, and also completely forgot what I wanted to do.  ?

- I did however randomly spend $100 at the Target back to school section in an attempt to help myself feel prepared. The highlight of this purchase is definitely the giant pack of G2's I gifted myself.

How is everyone else doing?  Better than me I hope!

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2018 at 10:23 PM, purpleowl said:

2018-19 should largely be doing the next level of the things we're doing now. So, with the grades they'll be in come fall...

Both Girls

Science: Elemental Science - Earth Science & Astronomy for the Logic Stage Mom-developed earth science & astronomy. We've already started, and I'm excited about this. ? 

History: Story of the World 4

Writing: Writing & Rhetoric - Narrative II, Chreia & Proverb - we will probably also start Refutation & Confirmation before the end of the school year

Reading: Mom-selected books

DD#1 - 4th grade

Grammar: Continuing Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind (stretching year 1 over two years)

Math: Beast Academy 5

Latin: Continuing/finishing Lively Latin Big Book 2

Logic: probably Fallacy Detective; also something code-related, probably continuing with Scratch and also learning Python (maybe later in the school year for Python, but not at the start)

DD#2 - 1st grade

Grammar: First Language Lessons 4

Math: Beast Academy 4

Latin: Continuing/finishing Lively Latin Big Book 1

Logic: continuing wherever she is in the Logic Countdown series; continuing Code.org courses

DS - pre-K

He's doing A Beka K5 right now (phonics & math). So A Beka 1st grade is a good possibility at that point, but by no means a certainty. He is similar to DD#2 with the learning in spurts, but not in exactly the same way...anyway, it's still hard for me to predict where he'll be a few months down the road. He will be attending pre-K at a private school (half-day program). This is a good decision for him and for the rest of us, for many reasons. I may still do some reading instruction with him in the afternoons, since he's ahead of where the classroom instruction will be. The plan right now is that it will just be for this school year, and then he'll be back home with his sisters.

Oh, and choir for all three kids, and piano for the girls. I may start DS on piano within the next year, once his reading skills are stronger.

Changes noted above in strikeouts & red text. We've also started doing a monthly-ish "recitation night" with a few other families at our church, so the kids are all doing some memory work for that.

On 1/29/2018 at 5:25 PM, Rush said:

We are finally done with changes and ready to start slowly next month :)

DS10
Maths - AoPS Pre-Algebra (to finish) + Intro to Algebra, Jacobs' Elementary Algebra, a variety of books for competitive maths, Olympiad maths club.               Olympiad programming with a tutor.
English - Ignite English + library
Science - Physical science, Life science and Earth and Space science. Holt Science and Technology, Activate's textbook + a pile of thematic books.
Mindstorms with his brother.
Public speaking and debate club.
Foreign languages: Latin - Galore park. French at French centre. German at German circle. Russian with mummy.
Piano, songwriting, vocal lessons. 

History - I've hijacked from SeaConquest The World in Ancient Times series from Oxford Univ Press :)

Tennis (incl agility, athletics and physical coach), Swimming and gymnastics 

DS8
Maths - Beast academy 3-4 online + a variety of books for the competitive level.
English - Galore park + an online course of creative writing.
Science - Galore park + lots of the thematic books.                                                                                                                                                                                                            Story of the World - 1 & 2
Art & pottery lessons.
Programming with Minecraft. Mindstorms with his brother.                                                                                                                                                                                Music school (piano or guitar - depends on which instrument they will accept him. If not then 2nd year of Preparatory course).                                                       Inventors club.
Languages - Russian with mummy. German at German circle (we leave it till next year) and Japanese with a tutor.
Swimming,  Gymnastics and Sailing

Edited by Rush

On 8/6/2018 at 5:37 AM, Runningmom80 said:

How is everyone else doing?  Better than me I hope!

I discovered that in moving towards letting DD8 pretty much decide her own schooling, her fall includes language and math... and that’s it, lol.

It’s third grade and she has herself scheduled for 1.5 hours of English-related stuff, 1 hour of math-related stuff, .5 hour of foreign language, and working on any projects for Destination Imagination. I needed to remind myself that I actually don’t hold any belief that science and history need done consistently in elementary, that she reads a lot of nonfiction and watches Great Courses lectures for fun, we do as many field trips as we can fit in, and we always find some room for hands-on exploration.  Plus, we found some free middle school-level science workshops that let her join, and she’s enjoying them but not learning much because it’s all stuff she already knows, so clearly she’s doing fine.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 9:00 AM, Runningmom80 said:

I am finally ready to post my plans!

(well what I have of them)

oldest (11.5) seventh grade

• BYL year 8 (History of Science)
  • Lord of the Rings class at G3
  • Bravewriter passion for fiction online
  • Science - Physics (I need to figure out something for this)
  • Math - Finish up Jacobs Algebra and start Geometry somehow lol

twins: (8) third grade

• Singapore math for DD and BA for DS
  • mystery science 
  • history unboxed
  • lots of Art
  • Bravewriter Partnership Writing
  • MCT Island

Updates!

I'm attempting to follow TWTM and CM a little more closely, taking what works and leaving what doesn't, it only took me 7 years to figure it out. 

DS 11.5 (7th grade)

• History - Industrial Revolution study 
  • Science - Chemistry using MEL chemistry kits and You Be the Chemist challenge
  • Math - Second half of Jacobs Algebra and Waldorfish Geometry through Art for fun
  • Language Arts - Lord of the Rings class through Online G3; Grammar for High school and They Say, I Say study; NaNoWriMo;  Judy Bloom Masterclass.  Possibly a Bravewriter class or two, Literature from the Industrial Revolution time period, another G3 class in the Spring
  • Spanish - Homeschool Spanish Academy (still his favorite!)
  • Extras - Piano, swimming, more Masterclasses

Twins 8 (3rd Grade)

• Math - Singapore
  • Science - Mystery Science with a focus on Chemistry 
  • History - We are going to attempt to cover Medieval in Fall Semester and Renaissance Spring semester using the Gombrach book and also Horrible Histories 
  • French - SYRWTLF along with the Know it All videos
  • Language Arts - Literature pulled from TWTM and Ambleside lists; Bravewriter Partnership Writing; Grammar for Elementary School; cursive and typing
  • Extras - Piano for DS, violin for DD, both will do soccer

Morning Basket 

• Geography will be Asia this year
  • Modern Artist Study with the Art History Kids modern art bundle
  • Memory work 
  • Shakespeare
  • CNN 10
  • TedEd

Now I just have to purchase everything and organize the new school room 

Edited by Runningmom80

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2018 at 5:08 PM, Runningmom80 said:

Updates!

I'm attempting to follow TWTM and CM a little more closely, taking what works and leaving what doesn't, it only took me 7 years to figure it out. 

DS 11.5 (7th grade)

• History - Industrial Revolution study 
  • Science - Chemistry using MEL chemistry kits and You Be the Chemist challenge
  • Math - Second half of Jacobs Algebra and Waldorfish Geometry through Art for fun
  • Language Arts - Lord of the Rings class through Online G3; Grammar for High school and They Say, I Say study; NaNoWriMo;  Judy Bloom Masterclass.  Possibly a Bravewriter class or two, Literature from the Industrial Revolution time period, another G3 class in the Spring
  • Spanish - Homeschool Spanish Academy (still his favorite!)
  • Extras - Piano, swimming, more Masterclasses

Twins 8 (3rd Grade)

• Math - Singapore
  • Science - Mystery Science with a focus on Chemistry 
  • History - We are going to attempt to cover Medieval in Fall Semester and Renaissance Spring semester using the Gombrach book and also Horrible Histories 
  • French - SYRWTLF along with the Know it All videos
  • Language Arts - Literature pulled from TWTM and Ambleside lists; Bravewriter Partnership Writing; Grammar for Elementary School; cursive and typing
  • Extras - Piano for DS, violin for DD, both will do soccer

Morning Basket 

• Geography will be Asia this year
  • Modern Artist Study with the Art History Kids modern art bundle
  • Memory work 
  • Shakespeare
  • CNN 10
  • TedEd

Now I just have to purchase everything and organize the new school room 

How are you liking the Mel science kits?