Menu

2018-2019 planning for your AL

SeaConquest

Please share what you are thinking about doing with your AL. I love getting ideas from others!

I am still working on a plan, but have some idea. I will be starting nursing school in August, so I am outsourcing a ton.

Sacha (4th): 

Math: AoPS Academy Pre-A

Literature: Online G3 Lightning Lit 7/8

Writing: Still deciding -- maybe WTMA Prep for Expository Writing, maybe CLRC (Language Arts I), maybe Schole (CAP Writing & Rhetoric series)

Grammar: MCT -- I think we may try the Literature level, depending on how far we get this year in Voyage

Science: Athena's Story of Science 

History: The World in Ancient Times series from Oxford Univ Press -- depending on the schedule, we may use CLRC

Latin: Currently using a mix of Latin Prep and Lingua Latina at home, but thinking of outsourcing this to CLRC as well

French: Galore Park French and Duolingo at home

Hebrew: Shalom Ivrit and Duolingo at home

He will also do art, guitar, Spanish, and likely some programming through his charter school. He is already doing gymnastics, but we may add some kind of martial arts for PE next year.

Ronen (Kinder):

We are also still deciding if we will add my younger DS to our homeschool/charter or send him to regular public school. He isn't as accelerated as older brother, and is a much more spirited child, so things are still up in the air.

Math: Singapore 1 with heavy use of gameschooling, Prodigy

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears Kinder

Science: Earth and Space with books and documentaries, Brain Pop

History: SOTW Ancients

Reading: Progressive Phonics and tons of read-alouds/Audible books

He will get art, music, Spanish, and some other enrichment through the charter, if we go that route. He would also likely do martial arts and gymnastics with older brother.

• Like 3

Next year DS (5) will be in Primary 1 / US Kindy. He’ll be using: 

Singapore (beginning with 2B) + Intensive Practice

MCT Island

History Odyssey Ancients / Torchlight Year 1 / LivingMath Unit 1

Mr. Q Life Science / RSO Life

Soccer, gymnastics, & possibly swimming

Various Evan Moor ebook supplements

• Like 2

2018-2019 plans, version 1.0

DS#1 (will be 10yo)

Finish the rest of AoPS pre-A, Jacobs MHE, and Picciotto Algebra

Finish MCT Town (writing, poetry, and final 1/2 of practice)

Fix It level 3

IEW Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course B (to begin after finishing MCT, probably in  the spring)

Spelling You See level E

DS#3 (6yo)

Right Start level F and begin G?  Or maybe skip F and go straight to G?  Undecided.

Beast Academy 4

Finish Algebra Lab Gear book 1 (and begin book 2?)

Start MCT Town (grammar, vocab, and first 1/2 of practice only)

Fix It level 2

IEW Student Writing Intensive A... or maybe All Things Fun and Fascinating...

Spelling You See level D

DS#1 and DS#3 together

Finish Real Science Odyssey Biology 2

Begin RSO Astronomy 2

Build Your Library level 6 history, lit, readers, and poetry (and technically science, too, except not following the BYL schedule for RSO)

Swimming

Spanish??? We might actually have time next year.

They'll both also continue in the HS enrichment program, but I won't know what classes they'll be in until much closer to August.  DS#1 wants to take cooking, sewing, and continue in pottery.  DS#3 just wants all the Lego and science classes.

• Like 2

*Changes made in May 2018 are in strikeout or blue.*

I'm leaning more and more unschoolish over time. DD wanted so much information in front of her and stuffed into her head when she was younger that she was pretty insistent on classes, but now she's more ready to lead her own way. DD turns 8 in May, and next year will be third grade.

Math Stream #1: continue on from however far we get in Beast Academy, currently in 4B 5B. Move directly from BA to AOPS Intro to Algebra. She wants to aim for Epsilon Camp in 2019, and I'm attempting to facilitate her goal.

Math Stream #2: Hands On Equations, Amazing Math Projects Book, old Math Kangaroo tests, maybe a MOEMS book, math games, whatever else looks good.

Language Arts: Brave Writer's Partnership Writing and Arrows. Maybe NaNoWriMo again. If we get bored with this, we'll go back and finish up the last few lessons in Paragraph Town. (completed) Poetry teas, Vocabulary Cartoons, 1100 Words You Need To Know, Editor in Chief all thrown in as we go along.

Foreign Language: DH is teaching French, using Galore Park as a spine. DD wants to continue on with Homeschool Spanish Academy once per week to keep up her Spanish skills.

That's it for things I intend to control. There will be two 1.5 more hours scheduled into each day. Half an hour will be dedicated to working on things she wants to do for her Destination Imagination team. The other hour can be filled with anything of DD's choosing that I agree has some educational benefit. Possibilities include Athena's classes, music, reading good books, programming, science experiments, games, Zometool building, stuff on DIY.org, Great Courses/Coursera courses, competition prep...

Other stuff we always do: Logic games, family read alouds, summer camps, field trips, museum passes

Edited by Jackie
Time passed. Things changed.
  • Like 3

2018-19 should largely be doing the next level of the things we're doing now. So, with the grades they'll be in come fall...

Both Girls

Science: Elemental Science - Earth Science & Astronomy for the Logic Stage

History: Story of the World 4

Writing: Writing & Rhetoric - Narrative II, Chreia & Proverb

Reading: Mom-selected books

DD#1 - 4th grade

Grammar: Continuing Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind (stretching year 1 over two years)

Math: Beast Academy 5

Latin: Continuing/finishing Lively Latin Big Book 2

Logic: probably Fallacy Detective; also something code-related, probably continuing with Scratch and also learning Python

DD#2 - 1st grade

Grammar: First Language Lessons 4

Math: Beast Academy 4

Latin: Continuing/finishing Lively Latin Big Book 1

Logic: continuing wherever she is in the Logic Countdown series; continuing Code.org courses

DS - pre-K

He's doing A Beka K5 right now (phonics & math). So A Beka 1st grade is a good possibility at that point, but by no means a certainty. He is similar to DD#2 with the learning in spurts, but not in exactly the same way...anyway, it's still hard for me to predict where he'll be a few months down the road. 

Oh, and choir for all three kids, and piano for the girls. I may start DS on piano within the next year, once his reading skills are stronger.

Edited by purpleowl
  • Like 1

Next year is a combination of 11th/12th grade I suppose, so dd will attend a lot of exams.

As we try to pass Geography and French (oral and written) this year, we will try anything but Latin, Math and Science next year.

As not all the exam topics are equally interesting we try to supplement with subjects like Philosophy, Psychology and Sociology. The last year home (2019-2020) I would like to do some WTM / Great Books style.

• Like 2

dd1 (4th)

Math: Singapore 5 and BA5.  If we finish those with more time, I think we'll do just Challenging Word Problems from Singapore 6.  I'm also looking forward to Beast Academy Online coming out, and incorporating that into our schooling.

English: Finish MCT Town, maybe start Voyage.  R&S Spelling 4/5.  She'll be done with our handwriting curriculum, so I think typing and/or calligraphy.

Logic: Logic Liftoff

Latin: Online class, don't know which option yet.

German?: She's started asking to learn.  I haven't decided what to do about this yet, as this has been dd2's "thing" this year, and I think it has been good for her to have an area she is proud of where she is not overshadowed by her siblings' accomplishments.  Of course, dd2 would be the knowledgeable one that had a year on dd1 in the subject--at least at first.  Hmm.

Music: Piano lessons.  She has also begun dabbling in violin; I'm not sure if this will grow to a full second instrument subject or not.

dd2 (2nd)

Math: Singapore 3B/4A and BA3.

English: AAR 3/4, AAS 3/4, slowly introduce MCT Island.  Calligraphy as she loves handwriting, and will have completed Pictures in Cursive.

German: Skype tutor.

Music: Violin, and continue self-directed piano with Hoffmann Academy.

ds1 (1st)

Math: Singapore 2 and BA2/3

English: Finish off OPGtR if he hasn't yet.  R&S Spelling 2.  HWOT K/1.  Considering including him with MCT Island.

Music: Cello lessons, and continue self-directed piano with Hoffmann Academy.

ds2 (pre-K)

Math: Singapore 1

English: Phonics, either OPG or AAR.  HWOT K/maybe 1.

Music: Violin with Mom.

All:

History: SOTW4

Science: Combination of Mystery Science, BFSU2, and possibly science fair again.

P.E.: Probably all 4 will do soccer in the Fall, and something else (probably T-ball for boys, ? for girls) in the Spring.

• Like 2

UPDATED

DS10
Maths - AoPS Intro to Algebra, Jacobs' Elementary Algebra, a variety of books for competitive maths, olympiad maths club.                                                  Olympiad programming with a tutor.
English - reading + an online course of the creative writing.
Science - Physical science, Life science and Earth and Space science. Not sure what to use yet. Maybe Holt Science and Technology.
Mindstorms with his brother.
Public speaking and debate club.
Foreign languages: Latin - Galore park. French at French center.   Russian with mummy.
Piano, songwriting and maybe vocal lessons (so far we decided to postpone it till 11yo due to a lack of time).

Swimming, gymnastics and athletics.

DS8
Maths - Beast academy 3 online + a variety of books for the competitive level.
English - Galore park + an online course of creative writing.
Science - Galore park.
Art & pottery lessons.
Programming with Minecraft. Mindstorms with his brother.

Inventors club.
Languages - Russian with mummy. German at German circle and Japanese with a tutor.
Swimming & gymnastics 

• Like 1

Not as advanced as some :) ,  and I think we're going to take next year as a holding year for language arts to build writing stamina:

DS 8yo/3rd grade

LA - still deciding between MBTP 8-10yo units or continuing with ELTL style of narrations/copywork/poetry with books we choose for a year.

Math - LOF Kidneys, Liver, Mineshaft, finish Right Start E and move to F.

Science - BFSU2 or Mystery Science (or both)

Latin.....still deciding.  He'll finish GSWL first semester, but I want him to look at some options in person before deciding on his next.  Right now he wants Latin's Not So Tough level 4.

French - continue with One Third Stories and....GSWF?  Again, still deciding.

Spanish - Duolingo

ASL - Lifeprint & weekly study group

History - SOTW 3, and building our own American history study

Art - Artistic Pursuits

Music - violin lessons

P.E. is outsourced in the form of a sport and regular weekly P.E.

• Like 2

Ds8 is advanced a bit in some areas but I has the potential to jump ahead now he is home schooling. We have to be efficient as I have work to do as well.

Maths - Pearson NZ 3A and BA3

Composition - SWIA

Latin - Latin's not so tough 2

History - SOTW3 and part of 4 (1600 to 19xx). Oxford English History, who was books.

Science - based on who was books plus gardening and anything that comes up locally.

Geography - in with History

Music - who was books with appropriate CDs, marimba lessons.

Arts - probably crafts - unsure. We have just done 2 pottery classes.

Other - term 1 Home School PE and swimming, basketball skills classes (hope to find him a team for term 2), coding class at library term 2. See what comes up later for terms 3 and 4

Our year starts next Wednesday.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 2

Dd and I have not decided exactly what she'll be doing next school year.

She is going to take dual enrollment courses (which will depend on what is available online when it is time to register) and asked me to make her other courses (except foreign languages) run on a fall/spring semester schedule.

Here is a very general plan...

Fall:

Physics (at home): I have a couple Teaching Company courses and two texts to chose from

Dual Enrollment: possibly a Films Course (she'd love Films of Alfred Hitchcock) and a math

Spring:

Pre-Calculus (at home)

Dual Enrollment: possibly Western Civ and Nutrition course

All Year:

Irish Gaelic: (continue with tutor) 

French: Breaking the Barrier 3 (and hopefully a tutor for practice using the language)...another option is French 1 through DE.

Language Arts with tutor

• Like 1

First grade DS:

Math: CWP 3 and BA 2/3 plus extras as usual

Writing: I think I'll try out W&R Fables

Grammar: continue MCT Island

Geography: Maps, Charts, and Graphs D

Spanish: might try Homeschool Spanish Academy and Duolingo again

Science: kits, Discover and Do, and living books

History: living books, probably focusing on medieval history

Technology: code.org and Typing Instructor for Kids

PE: hopefully swimming lessons, basketball, and maybe gymnastics again

• Like 2

We go Jan-Dec, so only through the end of 2018 and The Boys are currently enrolled but won't be returning to BM school in the fall. January is over so our year breaks down as follows.

Feb-May  (Supplementary Home schooling around the BM school schedule)

• Intensive Spanish -- mix n match resources, native recreational media, weekly presentations in Spanish language.
  • Mathematics -- secondary pass of the topics we studied last year, emphasis on building fluency and learning applications.
  • Computer/ Electronics -- hardware focus and lite coding

June-Dec. (Home schooling fully)

• Intensive Spanish -- unit studies in content areas (1 per month), weekly presentations in Spanish, deep-read 3 kids chapter books in Spanish.
  • mathematics -- third pass over the material we studied last year, fluency checks and greater emphasis on applications.
  • Computer/Electronics -- hardware focus and lite networking (or ramp up the coding, not sure yet).
  • Like 1

For DD12, who will be in 8th, I think we are doing:

Latin 2 with Lukeion

Geometry (still searching for a text after Dolciani's Pre-A and Alg, which she really likes)

Clover Creek Physics

WWS3 (slowish)

CLRC's Hunger Games and Dystopian Fiction course

or maaaaybe

CLRC's Great Books 1

Art History with an eye toward taking the AP test, but over the course of 2 years.

• Like 1

Now that DD13 has registered for fall classes, I can update. She is officially matriculated, but is sticking with 3/4 time for now since she can’t move on campus anywhere until she is 16. 

Fall:

Statistics

English Comp 2

Western Civilizations l

Spring-TBA, but may include:

Speech and Communications

Spanish 3

Sociology

Anthropology

At home

Spanish somewhere to continue conversational skills, plus reading in Spanish (Spanish 3 isn’t offered when she can do it in the Fall)

Epidemeology, Infectious Disease, and microbiology (small study group with a PhD mentor, college textbooks, but not college credit)

Teach Herpetology 2 at Athena’s, lead Team MLP (environmental science/zoology club), assist with STEM club and word study group.

Cheer team

Piano, music theory

Teacher training workshops in Environmental science and education (probably Project Wild and Project WET)

Obviously, some of these will be fall and some Spring. We’ll Supplement with other content the other semester.

Summer-

Careers in Marine Biology camp, Herpetology conference, write Herpetology course materials, teacher training workshops (including Learning Without Tears, Words their Way and Project Learning Tree).

• Like 1

Please share what you are thinking about doing with your AL. I love getting ideas from others!

I am still working on a plan, but have some idea. I will be starting nursing school in August, so I am outsourcing a ton.

Sacha (4th): 

Literature: Online G3 Lightning Lit 7/8

Writing: Still deciding -- maybe WTMA Prep for Expository Writing, maybe CLRC (Language Arts I), maybe Schole (CAP Writing & Rhetoric series)

Grammar: MCT -- I think we may try the Literature level, depending on how far we get this year in Voyage

Science: Athena's Story of Science 

History: The World in Ancient Times series from Oxford Univ Press -- depending on the schedule, we may use CLRC

Latin: Currently using a mix of Latin Prep and Lingua Latina at home, but thinking of outsourcing this to CLRC as well

He will also do art, guitar, Spanish, and likely some programming through his charter school. He is already doing gymnastics, but we may add some kind of martial arts for PE next year.

Just an update: we've decided to do Latin, Writing, and Ancient History through CLRC. It will be our first time with their classes, so we are jumping right in. We are secular homeschoolers, so I am hoping the classes are as secular as people have said on the High School board.

Sacha decided to attend 'Through the Microscope' at CTY camp this summer, so he wants to do Athena's Bio next year and just read the Hakim Story of Science series on his own.

• Like 5

dd1 (4th)

Math: Singapore 5 and BA5. If we finish those with more time, I think we'll do just Challenging Word Problems from Singapore 6. I'm also looking forward to Beast Academy Online coming out, and incorporating that into our schooling.

English: Finish MCT Town, maybe start Voyage. R&S Spelling 4/5. She'll be done with our handwriting curriculum, so I think typing and/or calligraphy.

Logic: Logic Liftoff

Latin: Online class, don't know which option yet.

German?: She's started asking to learn. I haven't decided what to do about this yet, as this has been dd2's "thing" this year, and I think it has been good for her to have an area she is proud of where she is not overshadowed by her siblings' accomplishments. Of course, dd2 would be the knowledgeable one that had a year on dd1 in the subject--at least at first. Hmm.

Music: Piano lessons. She has also begun dabbling in violin; I'm not sure if this will grow to a full second instrument subject or not.

dd2 (2nd)

Math: Singapore 3B/4A and BA3.

English: AAR 3/4, AAS 3/4, slowly introduce MCT Island. Calligraphy as she loves handwriting, and will have completed Pictures in Cursive.

German: Skype tutor.

Music: Violin, and continue self-directed piano with Hoffmann Academy.

ds1 (1st)

Math: Singapore 2 and BA2/3

English: Finish off OPGtR if he hasn't yet. R&S Spelling 2. HWOT K/1. Considering including him with MCT Island.

Music: Cello lessons, and continue self-directed piano with Hoffmann Academy.

ds2 (pre-K)

Math: Singapore 1

English: Phonics, either OPG or AAR. HWOT K/maybe 1.

Music: Violin with Mom.

All:

History: SOTW4

Science: Combination of Mystery Science, BFSU2, and possibly science fair again.

P.E.: Probably all 4 will do soccer in the Fall, and something else (probably T-ball for boys, ? for girls) in the Spring.

Ds2 has dictated: AAR is begun and he has started self-directed piano with Hoffmann

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My son is 11 and will be in 6th grade next year.

Math: Saxon 8/7 w/ Pre-algebra

English: Rod and Staff 7, finish up WWS 1 and Start WWS 2

History: All American History Vols. 1 and 2, plus a short reading list

Science: Guest Hollow Chemistry in the Kitchen, The Joy of Chemistry, and probably some short online science classes from Outschool. Science is his passion and he will probably add plenty more to this list.  

Latin: Second Form Latin

Greek: ?? We might do Elementary Greek 2, or we might hold off on continuing Greek for now

French: Breaking the French Barrier 2

Piano and Guitar

4-H: lots of science and animal projects

Co-op: Hopefully a PE class and chess club

Edited by FarmingMomma
  • Like 2

For DD12, who will be in 8th, I think we are doing:

Latin 2 with Lukeion

Geometry (still searching for a text after Dolciani's Pre-A and Alg, which she really likes)

Clover Creek Physics

WWS3 (slowish)

CLRC's Hunger Games and Dystopian Fiction course

or maaaaybe

CLRC's Great Books 1

Art History with an eye toward taking the AP test, but over the course of 2 years.

Well, I think we might do CLRC's Hunger Games and Dystopian Fiction (if they offer it again) AND their GB 1 course.  Alternatively, maybe the Hunger Games class and the Muse on the Loose/ReLoosed classes at Lukeion (they are also ancient history/myth/lit as far as I understand).  

Alternatively, DD would love a semi-performance-based Shakespeare class if I can find one that meets her requirements.  I know G3 has the comedies in fall but I am just not sure about G3; she took a couple of Athena's classes and they were hit-and-miss.  I wish we lived nearer a big city so she could find local classes - the live component to Shakespeare is what she's looking for, I think.

• Like 2

DD5 is prek right now, technically.

Kindergarten homeschool will start this fall.

Math- either Horizon 1st or 2nd grade depending. Ray's Arithmetic, cds and videos about math facts. Living math books for fun.

Science- dvds, read alouds, experiments, nature walks and field trips. Follow wherever it takes us. Her favorite subject.

Continue on with phonics and get her more confident in her reading ability. Will be using for school the McGuffy readers. Will give her access to appropriate books for her level. Have her read, read and read. Talk to her about what she reads.

Audio books and reads alouds. The classics, State History and geography of the USA (already started this) and whatever else she wants to learn or read about.

Writing (her least favorite). She hates to trace and wants to free hand it but needs to trace to get more familiar with it. Her wants and ability arent aligned and she doesnt like that. She is young and fatigues easily. She writes, at this point, when she wants to. She wants to learn cursive so we will be doing that in kindergarten.

Lots of park days, open gym, swim lessons, free swim, storytime, playgroup, library, circus school and as much outside time, as weather permits.

Edited by Mommyof1
  • Like 3

I have been waiting to post because things are still up in the air with school applications. We won't know for another month. So, I have reading up on the topics on the high school board, trying to sort of plan for homeschooling, and getting kind of excited about various options, while still really hoping dc gets into their first choice school. Ugh, so frustrating!

My dc13 will be in grade 9 next year, and has applied to several local public high schools, with entry by either audition (choice #1: performing arts high school) or by lottery (choice #2: an IB high school and choice #3: a high school with a graphic design certificate program). Homeschooling high school is also an option, if they don't get in to a school they want to attend, or if it just doesn't work for them. Choices #1 and #2 each take fewer than 25% of applicants, choice #3 is the "safety school" but we have agreed that they can opt out of that one at any point. 

If dc gets into a school, I will have to deal with the fact that my kid is ready and eager for Algebra 2, while the public school's typical sequence is to have students take that class in grade 11 (some students then take pre-Calc in the summer, to be ready for Calculus in grade 12). Most public school students in our city who are on an accelerated math track attend one of the exam schools (which my dc chose not to apply for), so the rest of the high schools don't really offer as much in the way of math. Also, dc's charter middle school has allowed the advanced math class (with just 9 kids) to move at an unusual pace, both "wide" and "deep," so I think a regular math class will be frustrating. I am thinking of proposing that dc be allowed to do math independently, possibly using AOPS. I would like to find something that allows math discussion with other students though, and am not sure how much the AOPS online classes involve that kind of interaction. My dc wants nothing to do with any math competition, so I am thinking that AOPS might not be the right crowd of kids. I will be back here asking lots of questions once we are further along in the process.

My dc really wants to finish high school in 3 years if we homeschool, which has me a bit panicked about being able to hit the ground running 6 months from now, since I would have to be very efficient to structure it all to fit in to 3 years. 

I have been learning as much as I can about local dual-enrollment options. We have a bunch of different options in our area, depending on which way I want to drive. If we homeschool, dc will start taking some DE online classes right away (will be 14 by then), and then switch over to on-campus classes later (maybe age 15-16, depending on the class and the campus vibe). 

We are going to start learn ASL soon, whatever the schooling situation. High school #3 offers ASL as one of the language options, and I found a couple of community colleges that have ASL classes.

• Like 2

14yo is really wanting to do full time de, so she’s taking the chspe to be able to do so in the fall. We might still do AP LIt at home.

First grade plans for 5yo:

Math: BA 3

Violin and piano lessons

Gymnastics

Everything else: lots of reading and exploring outside.

Edited by Kinspired
  • Like 1

Our tentative plans for dd6 (will be 7 late Sept)..who knows what will change. We will just start whenever we finish whatever we are doing now..still need to decide for sure on LA..

MathBeast Academy + Singapore (possibly just challenging word problems, we shall see- lots of math integration with literature & rabbit trails as well)

Language ArtsMCT OR Guest Hollow's Language Arts with big sister + Cursive and TONS of reading
HistoryPre-History + Darwin/Evolution Unit Studies from BYL & then followed with- SOTW 1: Ancients with big sister
Classical StudiesMP D'Aulaires' Greek Myths with big sister
ScienceDr Dave's Science (RFWP) + tons of rabbit trails- she is my science girl

SpanishSong School Spanish OR GSWS + Outschool classes or Immersion classes. She's doing a 2 week Spanish Immersion camp this summer. She did last summer as well and she really enjoys it.
Nature StudiesExploring Nature With Children

PEHiking, Swimming, Kayaking, Biking, Skiing (in winter, obviously) etc. 

ExtrasArtist & Composer Studies, Coding, Minecraft, Logic, Weekly Co-op, KWOT, Prodigy Math, possibly Piano or Ukulele Lessons, and just spending as much time in nature as possible.

• Like 2

Next year. One kiddo. Subject, rather than grade- based transcript. A little fuzzy on grade.

Almost "plug and play" Integrated World History and Literature year 1 of 2 (Humanistic Tradition, America Reads Classics in World Literature, and bought on super-duper sale Great Courses Western Lit and Odyssey). Probably 2 additional novels.

French (Breaking the Barrier with French in Action or an accelerated course through a local uni)

Henle Latin (keep going with year 1, maybe start year 2 when we get there). Dd likes Magistra Jones' materials.

Dolciani Algebra and Trig with some Holt Algebra 2 for reference. She's already self studied Trig, so I'll probably add some competition math.

Holt Biology for anatomy topics + first aid = Health. Dd will probably do the MIT OCW Biology the next year, which doesn't cover anatomy.

World of Chemistry + probably the Novare Chemistry at home labs since HST has a kit.

MIT OWC Psychology

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed your evolving plans on last year's thread!

I appreciate how you used the phrase "evolving plans" instead of "mental breakdown."  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm having a hard time planning for next year!  I am stuck on what to do for my oldest so I've hardly thought about the youngers.  Poor twins, they have never gotten their individual fair shares of attention.  :laugh:

• Like 3

I appreciate how you used the phrase "evolving plans" instead of "mental breakdown."  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm having a hard time planning for next year!  I am stuck on what to do for my oldest so I've hardly thought about the youngers.  Poor twins, they have never gotten their individual fair shares of attention.  :laugh:

Well, what are your thoughts so far?  Maybe we can help!

• Like 1

Well, what are your thoughts so far?  Maybe we can help!

I think what's really tripping me up is the possibility of public high school.  DS has previously said he'd like to go, but is slowly becoming hesitant. 

If it were up to me I think he would do better at home, I think he's not going to be adequately challenged and he will have a really hard time socially. Not that I want to shelter him, but he's an anxious creative with food allergies and I'm just....  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:   I know he has time to mature, yada yada yada.....

That said, if he needs to be prepared to enter school then I need a whole different plan than our "structured unschooling" situation that we've fallen into.

• Like 2

Made a few more changes, but think we have things worked out. Will most likely end up homeschooling both kids:

Sacha (4th): 

Literature: OG3 Lightning Lit 7/8

Writing: CLRC Language Arts I

Grammar: MCT Literature Level at home

Science: AIM Academy General Biology 

History: CLRC Ancient History

Latin: CLRC Latin

PE: EMH Sports, Gymnastics, and Martial Arts

Art, guitar, Spanish, and programming through his charter school.

Ronen (Kinder):

Math: Math in Focus 1 with heavy use of gameschooling, Prodigy

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears Kinder

Science: Zoology with books and documentaries, Brain Pop

History: SOTW Ancients

Reading: Logic of English Foundations, Progressive Phonics, and tons of read-alouds/Audible books

PE: EMH Sports, Gymnastics, and Martial Arts

Art, music, Spanish, and some other enrichment through the charter. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been waiting to post because things are still up in the air with school applications. We won't know for another month. So, I have reading up on the topics on the high school board, trying to sort of plan for homeschooling, and getting kind of excited about various options, while still really hoping dc gets into their first choice school. Ugh, so frustrating!

My dc13 will be in grade 9 next year, and has applied to several local public high schools, with entry by either audition (choice #1: performing arts high school) or by lottery (choice #2: an IB high school and choice #3: a high school with a graphic design certificate program). Homeschooling high school is also an option, if they don't get in to a school they want to attend, or if it just doesn't work for them. Choices #1 and #2 each take fewer than 25% of applicants, choice #3 is the "safety school" but we have agreed that they can opt out of that one at any point. 

If dc gets into a school, I will have to deal with the fact that my kid is ready and eager for Algebra 2, while the public school's typical sequence is to have students take that class in grade 11 (some students then take pre-Calc in the summer, to be ready for Calculus in grade 12). Most public school students in our city who are on an accelerated math track attend one of the exam schools (which my dc chose not to apply for), so the rest of the high schools don't really offer as much in the way of math. Also, dc's charter middle school has allowed the advanced math class (with just 9 kids) to move at an unusual pace, both "wide" and "deep," so I think a regular math class will be frustrating. I am thinking of proposing that dc be allowed to do math independently, possibly using AOPS. I would like to find something that allows math discussion with other students though, and am not sure how much the AOPS online classes involve that kind of interaction. My dc wants nothing to do with any math competition, so I am thinking that AOPS might not be the right crowd of kids. I will be back here asking lots of questions once we are further along in the process.

My dc really wants to finish high school in 3 years if we homeschool, which has me a bit panicked about being able to hit the ground running 6 months from now, since I would have to be very efficient to structure it all to fit in to 3 years. 

I have been learning as much as I can about local dual-enrollment options. We have a bunch of different options in our area, depending on which way I want to drive. If we homeschool, dc will start taking some DE online classes right away (will be 14 by then), and then switch over to on-campus classes later (maybe age 15-16, depending on the class and the campus vibe). 

We are going to start learn ASL soon, whatever the schooling situation. High school #3 offers ASL as one of the language options, and I found a couple of community colleges that have ASL classes.

Very exciting news.... Dc13 got accepted for the first choice school, the arts high school! This public school only admits 30 students for the visual arts program each year, in a city with over 30 public high schools, so the odds were not good. Woohoo!

So, for better or worse, we are off the hook for homeschool planning for now.

Now I just need to see if I can get the school to allow a subject acceleration in math. The school has all 9th graders take geometry, and then either algebra 1 or 2 in 10th, but my kid is just finishing up an honors geometry class now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Grade 4 and Grade 7 next year. We are pretty chill with academics... both kids are ahead in science so usually by the time I have things organized and ready to go they are ready to move on to the next level...

Math: CLE (with a bit of Miquon and Montessori for younger)

Literature: Mosdos Press

Writing: Voyages in English

Grammar: Voyages in English and some Montessori together with Analytical Grammar as needed

Science: CPO Physics for Grade 7, not sure about Grade 4. She's obsessed with snakes and dinosaurs so maybe something with that.

History: K12 Human Odyssey and "A Childs History of Art" from Calvert and Montessori art history.

Latin: English from the Roots Up, and Visual Latin. Doodle Notes from TpT.

German: "Nico's Weg" and "Willkommen in Deutschland"

PE: homeschool gymnastics

Haven't figured out what to do for art besides art history, but I'd like to incorporate a lot more art projects.

• Like 1

Ds8 is advanced a bit in some areas but I has the potential to jump ahead now he is home schooling. We have to be efficient as I have work to do as well.

Maths - Pearson NZ 3A and BA3

Composition - SWIA

Latin - Latin's not so tough 2

History - SOTW3 and part of 4 (1600 to 19xx). Oxford English History, who was books.

Science - based on who was books plus gardening and anything that comes up locally.

Geography - in with History

Music - who was books with appropriate CDs, marimba lessons.

Arts - probably crafts - unsure. We have just done 2 pottery classes.

Other - term 1 Home School PE and swimming, basketball skills classes (hope to find him a team for term 2), coding class at library term 2. See what comes up later for terms 3 and 4

Our year starts next Wednesday.

Update. He can not do that many out of the house activities. We have cut to a swimming lesson and added a 1 day STEAM school while I work. Next term we will drop swimming and replace with PE or coding. Would be nice to do both though.

Work has been insane so maths has been Pearson plus prodigy. Bought a JAM subscription from group buys for art/science/tinkering with his brother. Are still working on KWO and oral retelling.

History is going well.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 2:09 PM, Runningmom80 said:

I think I should probably wait until at least May to post a plan since I usually change them 165 times.

I am finally ready to post my plans!

(well what I have of them)

oldest (11.5) seventh grade

• BYL year 8 (History of Science)
  • Lord of the Rings class at G3
  • Bravewriter passion for fiction online
  • Science - Physics (I need to figure out something for this)
  • Math - Finish up Jacobs Algebra and start Geometry somehow lol

twins: (8) third grade

• Singapore math for DD and BA for DS
  • mystery science 
  • history unboxed
  • lots of Art
  • Bravewriter Partnership Writing
  • MCT Island

• Like 1

My son is 16 and will be taking four classes at the public high school: AP Statistics, AP Psychology, AP Physics C, and French III.  At home my big plan is to get a syllabus approved for AP English Language.  His electives are going to be two advanced half credit history courses (we're thinking about African American history being one of them) and a half credit course using the Teaching Company course called Redefining Reality.

ETA:  Well, that plan is a bit dated!  So, he will still be taking the APs at the high school, but he will do French III with Oak Meadow.  For the rest of his classes, he'll be doing African American history and literature (1.5 cr), a course on the history of the USSR (0.5 cr), a course resembling AP English Language but not as intense, astronomy (1 cr), and photography (0.5 cr).  It a lot, but he wants to graduate a year early, so that's what it's going to take. 

Edited by EKS
  • Like 3

On 1/29/2018 at 8:14 AM, Expat_Mama_Shelli said:

Next year DS (5) will be in Primary 1 / US Kindy. He’ll be using: 

Singapore (beginning with 2B) + Intensive Practice

MCT Island

History Odyssey Ancients / Torchlight Year 1 / LivingMath Unit 1

Mr. Q Life Science / RSO Life

Soccer, gymnastics, & possibly swimming

Various Evan Moor ebook supplements

I am desperately trying not to add ALL THE THINGS as I’ve come across some great-looking new curricula. This year even with only math, language arts, & world cultures we’ve “lost the fun” from time to time... I need to work on pulling from a variety of sources without feeling like we must do each part of everything. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2018 at 6:14 PM, Cake and Pi said:

2018-2019 plans, version 1.0 2.1

DS#1 (will be 10yo)
Finish the rest of AoPS pre-A, Jacobs MHE, and Picciotto Algebra
Finish MCT Town (writing, poetry, and final 1/2 of practice)
MCT Voyage (grammar, vocab, and 1st 1/2 of practice only)
Fix It level 3
A Sentence a Day
IEW Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course B   (to begin after finishing MCT, probably in  the spring)
IEW Fables, Myths and Fairy Tales (his pick)
Spelling You See level E  ??? Sequential Spelling?  Spelling Power? Or....?
SK Philosophy Finding Faith
Logic Lift Off?

DS#3 (6yo)
Right Start level F and begin G?  Or maybe skip F and go straight to G?  Undecided.
Beast Academy 4 4D, 5A, 5B, 5C? or however far he gets into level 5
Finish Algebra Lab Gear book 1 (and begin book 2?)
Start MCT Town (grammar, vocab, and first 1/2 of practice only)
Fix It level 2
IEW Student Writing Intensive A... or maybe All Things Fun and Fascinating...
WriteShop Junior D (if C is well liked)
Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary

Spelling You See level D or maybe something else or nothing at all
SK Philosophy Theo Rising
Analogies for Beginners

DS#1 and DS#3 together
Finish Real Science Odyssey Biology 2
Begin RSO Astronomy 2
Build Your Library level 6 history, lit, readers, and poetry (and technically science, too, except not following the BYL schedule for RSO)
Swimming
Spanish??? We might actually have time next year.
Python for Kids

They'll both also continue in the HS enrichment program, but I won't know what classes they'll be in until much closer to August.  DS#1 wants to take cooking, sewing, and continue in pottery.  DS#3 just wants all the Lego and science classes.

Goodness how things change in just a couple months. My son has gotten into archery and horseback riding so those will be our main extracurriculars. And he specifically asked to learn Latin so we'll be switching focus off Spanish. But I'm hoping he'll still read in Spanish a little so to that end I'll be ordering High Five Bilingue. I hope it's not the same content as the regular High Five since my toddler already gets that.

• Like 1

DD (will be 11)-posted on 6th grade board too ?

Jacobs Algebra

Latin Prep

BYL 6 for lit and US History

Mix of MCT Voyage, going to try GFTWTM, Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Life Science at co-op along with stem/robotics and drawing/painting

We did WWS1 through WTMA this year, I’ve got WWS2 ready to go...something is telling me to try something else for next year. She tolerated, but didn’t love WWS. I’m thinking maybe try W&R? Maybe start with 7?

Wish I could find something awesome and secular for logic

15+ hours a week of competitive dance, piano at home with mom. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2018 at 10:23 PM, purpleowl said:

2018-19 should largely be doing the next level of the things we're doing now. So, with the grades they'll be in come fall...

Both Girls

Science: Elemental Science - Earth Science & Astronomy for the Logic Stage

History: Story of the World 4

Writing: Writing & Rhetoric - Narrative II, Chreia & Proverb

Reading: Mom-selected books

DD#1 - 4th grade

Grammar: Continuing Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind (stretching year 1 over two years)

Math: Beast Academy 5

Latin: Continuing/finishing Lively Latin Big Book 2

Logic: probably Fallacy Detective; also something code-related, probably continuing with Scratch and also learning Python

DD#2 - 1st grade

Grammar: First Language Lessons 4

Math: Beast Academy 4

Latin: Continuing/finishing Lively Latin Big Book 1

Logic: continuing wherever she is in the Logic Countdown series; continuing Code.org courses

DS - pre-K

He's doing A Beka K5 right now (phonics & math). So A Beka 1st grade is a good possibility at that point, but by no means a certainty. He is similar to DD#2 with the learning in spurts, but not in exactly the same way...anyway, it's still hard for me to predict where he'll be a few months down the road. 

Oh, and choir for all three kids, and piano for the girls. I may start DS on piano within the next year, once his reading skills are stronger.

This is still mostly accurate. I'm toying with not using Elemental Science next year, just putting together my own stuff for earth/space. I like Elemental Science, and the kids are absolutely learning a lot, but they're not terribly enthused. Science is an area where I'd like them to be enthused. I may still end up doing ES, but I'm not sure right now.

For logic, DD#1 will not be doing Fallacy Detective yet. I got my hands on a copy and am thinking I will wait until DD#2 is a little older and then have them do that together. So DD#1 is just doing Scratch and Code.org. I want her to learn Python, but right now she's resistant to that idea and enjoying playing around with Scratch, so I'm okay with waiting.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 1:50 AM, Airykah said:

DD (will be 11)-posted on 6th grade board too ?

We did WWS1 through WTMA this year, I’ve got WWS2 ready to go...something is telling me to try something else for next year. She tolerated, but didn’t love WWS. I’m thinking maybe try W&R? Maybe start with 7?

Wish I could find something awesome and secular for logic

I gave up on finding a single product for awesome and secular. Dd really likes logic, though, so just finding secular is good enough. Instead of writing across the curriculum, we're kind of doing logic across the curriculum.

We did "The Little Book of Fallacies" a couple of years ago, and we've been using the Warriner Composition & Grammar series. Our covers are like this: https://www.amazon.com/English-Composition-Grammar-Complete-Benchmark/dp/0153117362/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525688936&sr=8-2&keywords=composition+and+grammar The fifth course book has nice sections on Logical Thinking and Argumentation. The covers with the lamps seem to focus more on writing, although the grammar sections are nearly identical to the other editions. I haven't seen the all the other grades in the series. I bought the one I have because I could find a reasonable $ TE for 11th and had seen it inside on Open Library.

We're also using Dolciani for math (Algebra 2 this year), which has a lot of set theory and proofs.

For Rhetoric, we'll cover that in AP Language. Most AP Language texts have a section. Dd did some of the Writing & Rhetoric series, too. We looked at Rhetoric Alive (and as far along as you are it might be an option instead of picking up in the middle of the W&R series). I haven't been able to see a copy in real life. I have seen some AP text books I like pretty well to cover Rhetoric.

Next year we'll also do Mathematical Logic using EMF and have her work through Rulebook for Arguments. Backup plan is she'll switch to the secularized "charter school" MP Logic: https://charter.memoriapress.com/curriculum/logic-and-rhetoric/

• Thanks 1

Ok I'll bite.  I haven't signed up for the online classes yet, just decided on them, and I haven't decided whether to do foreign language or not.

DS 12

Math - Aops Online Intermediate Algebra

Science - Physics with Clover Creek

Brazilian Jui Jitsu and Drama and possibly homeschool choir and guitar

DD 12

Math -- Aops Prealgebra with me

Science -- Miller Levine Biology and Biology Biozone Workbook. Labs TBD

Ballet 11-12 hours per week; possibly homeschool choir

Together:

History -  Modern History using Journeys Across Time, Hakim's Story of US (condensed), and some documentaries, literature, and DBQ's.

Literature -- 8 week poetry workshop at Athena's and Shakespeare's Comedies through Online G3

Writing -- WWS 3 with me

MCT Grammer only -- Literature Level 

I know I should do some sort of foreign language, but we've been pretty light homeschoolers previously and this next year is really going to ramp up output. I don't know what will happen. Probably lots of meltdowns. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 11:15 AM, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

Science - Physics with Clover Creek

If you haven't signed up for online classes, Clover Creek is full.

Science -- Miller Levine Biology and Biology Biozone Workbook. Labs TBD

I have a Biozone book & answer key I'm about to take to the local resale. If you don't already have it, PM me and I'll sell you mine inexpensively.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 6:14 AM, MamaSprout said:

I signed up for Clover Creek 15 minutes after getting the email, fortunately! I had been following the last couple of years so I made sure to be on the email list:-) The other classes don't fill up quickly but I will definitely need to get around to it for my peace of mind. 

Bummer about the Biozone book -- I bought mine on Amazon a few weeks ago! Thank you anyway! 

• Like 2

Sorta related, but are any ALs in Dicentra's new chem class? We are hoping to do Clover Creek in 5th and Dicentra's class in 6th to prepare for APs or DE classes in middle school.