A -

N -

T - Past Perfect, Present Tense

H -

E - Editor-Proof Your Writing

M - The Scarlet Slipper Mystery

U -

M - How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind

I'm not doing quite at well as Kara (Peaceful Chaos) with the flower challenge but I'm doing better than I expected! Off to look for a London book with a "U" in the title...

Wodehouse's Uncle Fred books, most of which start with U, are set on an estate just outside London.

• Like 7

Just came home from the library with the first Charles Lenox title, A Beautiful Blue Death, and with a mystery set in Australia, Kittyhawk Down, an Inspector Hal Challis mystery. I scored at the library's used book store, too, with a couple of PD James titles and that western several of you read last year, The Sisters Brothers.

Now to have lunch and settle down with a book!

I have "A Beatiful Blue Death" on hold.  Hopefully I will get it before next week1

• Like 7

I plan on doing a mix of rebel and detective for the Brit trip. Can't wait to start. Thank you MumtoTwo for putting the list up on GoodReads! It makes researching so much easier.

I am so happy the list is working well for you. Is it sorting the books by county for you automatically after you add the recommender in. I've been having problems on my iPad with that but all the other devices Amy and I have tried work just fine.

We really enjoyed compiling and suspect Amy and I will probably be the biggest beneficiaries! Generally with series only the first book is listed if they all appear to take place in the same area. I think it needs to be considered a work in progress because I added a few new ones this morning and am happy to take recommendations. The list will grow as our adventure progresses!

I am also starting to put books set generally in England, Scotland.....at the end of the list by putting a Z in front of the location. The Flavia books are a perfect example of that because Buckley is a made up village. I am secretly (not so secret now ;) l hoping to be able to pick a county when I read the latest one in the series next week!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 11

I have a couple of chapters of the first Ian Rutledge completed on my Kindle and have the admit I am now a bit concerned. ;). I remember how enthusiastic you all were...

I think you will like the Charles Finch series.   

You can hop back on when your events are over! Enjoy all the special memories....Married 60 years, how amazing.

Charles Finch is an author I cannot get through our library loan yet, nor via audible.

( ETA:  So I've procured a print copy of the first book via book depository.)

Thank you. We're looking forward to creating some special memories.  60 years is amazing!  (It's twice the amount of time DH & I have been married.)

You both made it farther than I did. I only read the first Ian Rutledge book and decided not to read any more. 

I'm with you on that series of Charles Todd's.  Totally enjoyed/am enjoying the Bess Crawford series - maybe Todd's mum had more writing input in those books?

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 7

So what is in my stacks for the start of the trip?

Gnomon by Nick Harkaway https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34974738-gnomon is my rebel book of choice. I love his books and am so happy that my hold arrived! I am probably going to sit on both buses because I found so many tempting choices that I don't think I will be able to resist!

Charles Todd...I have the first two books in the Ian Rutledge series because I am planning to read the series this year. The series covers so many Brit Trip locations and he is a Scotland Yard Detective......

Charles Finch, I am listening to A Death in the Small Hours https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33827377-a-death-in-the-small-hours which is set in Somerset and plan to continue my listening spree.

Whose Body? By Dorothy Sayers is on hold. I want to kick off my Sayers reread, plus it is set in London in part.

Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie. Start of my multi year Cristie reread. Hopefully in order this time through!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 10

I am so happy the list is working well for you. Is it sorting the books by county for you automatically after you add the recommender in. Image been having problems on my iPad with that but all the other devices Amy and I have tried work just fine.

We really enjoyed compiling and suspect Amy and I will probably be the biggest beneficiaries! Generally with series only the first book is listed if they all appear to take place in the same area. I think it needs to be considered a work in progress because I added a few new ones this morning and am happy to take recommendations. The list will grow as our adventure progresses!

I am also starting to put books set generally in England, Scotland.....at the end of the list by putting a Z in front of the location. The Flavia books are a perfect example of that because Buckley is a made up village. I am secretly (not so secret now ;) l hoping to be able to pick a county when I read the latest one in the series next week!

The only problem I have is picking which book.  I may wind up staying in London for a while before moving on.  I actually love researching books and compiling TBR lists, but I so appreciate you and Amy doing all this work.  I know it takes a lot of times.  Thanks again!

Edited by LuvToRead
  • Like 7

Barely hanging on with my teeth so I don't check in here as often as I'd like. This year is starting quite slow with reading. I haven't finished anything but maybe because I am reading too many things at once. I'm also working on ds's blanket in spare moments instead of reading. 

Maybe I will be able to post a finished book this week. 

I will also be joining Brit Tripping at Bertram Wooster level with the one caveat that I will attempt to avoid multiple engagements. My dh gets annoyed when I find myself in such guffaws. 

• Like 12

This lady darby mystery is cheaper now:

https://www.amazon.com/Pressing-Engagement-Lady-Darby-Mystery-ebook/dp/B014EOUNZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517321866&sr=8-1&keywords=annalee+huber+kindle

I wonder why the other volumes are 10-15 euro per volume... :(

I just lost a mostly finished post with lots of multiquotes. Going back one at a time!

This newsletter from the author came to my email yesterday. https://mailchi.mp/2467d96d7aa8/anna-lee-huber-february-newsletter-giveaway-ebook-deal-release-events-more?e=fc8bf14bff. Basically I think it is because of her new release next month. The news letter indicates that As Death Draws Near should be the discounted volume but it must be part of the new release.

• Like 8

Sandy, Amy: What actual county/counties would "Wessex" be?

I like this map the best http://www.destinationwessex.org.uk/about-wessex.htm So the counties are Somerset, Wiltshire, Hampshire, and Dorset. If you can identify something like Stonehenge as part of the main setting put it in the appropriate county otherwise I would just make a note that it can go in any of the four and keep reading. ;)

• Like 10

I'm with you on that series of Charles Todd's.  Totally enjoyed/am enjoying the Bess Crawford series - maybe Todd's mum had more writing input in those books?

If I knew he had another series I probably didn't bother because of the one I didn't like. I'll give Bess Crawford mysteries a chance.

• Like 7

The only problem I have is picking which book. I may wind up staying in London for a while before moving on. I actually love researching books and compiling TBR lists, but I so appreciate you and Amy doing all this work. I know it takes a lot of times. Thanks again!

We purposely tried to pick roads where we had a good assortment of counties, some with lots of choice and others very little choice. Perfectly fine to sit on the caravan and read the bounty from a prior or future stop!

Charles Finch is an author I can not get through our library loan yet, nor via audible.

Thank you. We're looking forward to creating some special memories. 60 years is amazing! (It's twice the amount of time DH & I have been married.)

I'm with you on that series of Charles Todd's. Totally enjoyed/am enjoying the Bess Crawford series - maybe Todd's mum had more writing input in those books?

You all have me worried about Charles Todd. So far they are good. I read a prequel back in December.

I had a hard time finding Charles Finch also. I managed a couple of books, tried being out of order (which never works for me and gave up) then during our planning phase I discovered that one of my libraries has them all!

When I was writing the note about your in-laws I was thinking half that long also! :lol: 30 years this June.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 7

You all have me worried about Charles Todd. So far they are good. I read a prequel back in December.

I have an IRL friend who loves mysteries and we often recommend a series to each other. I told her about the Ian Rutledge series when I found it but before I read the first one. It sounded good and I thought we'd both enjoy the books. I ended up abandoning it after one and she ended up liking it and reading the whole series.

IOW, don't let us turn you away from a series before you try it. You might like it.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 10

Wodehouse's Uncle Fred books, most of which start with U, are set on an estate just outside London.

It's no great challenge for me to read a Wodehouse book! I just downloaded Uncle Dynamite, which is #2 in the series.

Barely hanging on with my teeth so I don't check in here as often as I'd like. This year is starting quite slow with reading. I haven't finished anything but maybe because I am reading too many things at once. I'm also working on ds's blanket in spare moments instead of reading. 

Maybe I will be able to post a finished book this week. 

I will also be joining Brit Tripping at Bertram Wooster level with the one caveat that I will attempt to avoid multiple engagements. My dh gets annoyed when I find myself in such guffaws. 

LOL. Best of luck to you this year avoiding engagements!

I have an IRL friend who loves mysteries and we often recommend a series to each other. I told her about the Ian Rutledge series when I found it but before I read the first one. It sounded good and I thought we'd both enjoy the books. I ended up abandoning it after one and she ended up liking it and reading the whole series.

IOW, don't let us turn you away from a series before you try it. You might like it.

I actually have two Rutledge books I just picked up from the library. I read that the later ones are better for character development which was my main complaint. Well, I don't want to say too much and influence anyone's first opinion of the books so I'll just sit quietly and wait for Mumto to finish book 1.

• Like 8

I like this map the best http://www.destinationwessex.org.uk/about-wessex.htm So the counties are Somerset, Wiltshire, Hampshire, and Dorset. If you can identify something like Stonehenge as part of the main setting put it in the appropriate county otherwise I would just make a note that it can go in any of the four and keep reading. ;)

So if I read four Thomas Hardy novels I'm good. Excellent!

• Like 9

I've got four books on my nightstand waiting for the Mystery Bus to take off next week and I'm undecided on which one to pick up. I really want to read all of them!

Now You See Me by Sharon Bolton

King Solomon's Carpet by Barabara Vine

A Stranger in Mayfair by Charles Lennox

• Like 10

So I revived my long dormant (not looked at since some time in 2012) Goodreads account in order to try to sort through books for the Brit Tripping.  I've checked out MumToTwo's page and found the 540 books listed.

Here's my plea:  is there some sort of Goodreads for dummies available?  I'm not sure if I want to start tracking things on Goodreads and if so, what's the best way to start.  I'm a bit afraid of adding another thing to my plate.  I am already tracking things in two places (here and just in a word document on my computer) but I suppose I could replace the latter with Goodreads.  What are some of the benefits of Goodreads?  Thoughts?

• Like 8

So I revived my long dormant (not looked at since some time in 2012) Goodreads account in order to try to sort through books for the Brit Tripping.  I've checked out MumToTwo's page and found the 540 books listed.

Here's my plea:  is there some sort of Goodreads for dummies available?  I'm not sure if I want to start tracking things on Goodreads and if so, what's the best way to start.  I'm a bit afraid of adding another thing to my plate.  I am already tracking things in two places (here and just in a word document on my computer) but I suppose I could replace the latter with Goodreads.  What are some of the benefits of Goodreads?  Thoughts?

I revived my long dormant account last year, and now I am a convert :)

The best aspect is being Goodreads friends with all of us!!

You can fiddle with tracking and shelving as much or as little as you want. You can start by simply adding what you are currently reading. I would suggest adding some of us as Goodreads friends then peeking at how we arrange our shelves. Everyone does it a bit differently.

Here is my page, and I am happy to be Goodreads friends with any of the posters here. When I started sending friend requests, I would add a message Hi this is Penguin from WTM since my two user names do not match.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4554525-jayne

• Like 5

(snip)

A Man Called Ove. I just finished it today and I will miss all the characters from it. I can see this book becoming a very good movie if they got really good actors.

(snip)

I have not seen it, but there is a Swedish film available with English subtitles on some streaming sites. 

• Like 5

I've got four books on my nightstand waiting for the Mystery Bus to take off next week and I'm undecided on which one to pick up. I really want to read all of them!

Now You See Me by Sharon Bolton

King Solomon's Carpet by Barabara Vine

A Stranger in Mayfair by Charles Lennox

FYI, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think anyone would ever describe Now you see me as fluffy!

Obviously everyone is welcome to friend me. Of course my friends all just got flooded with those 540 books but I am not anticipating another data entry binge ever!https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/51042385

The first couple of years I used Goodreads it was to simply keep track of how many books and to help me read in series order. Seriously that was awesome. Then I learned about shelves and the ability to sort shelves which was a real game changer for challenges like the A to Z ones. I started those mid year last year because Matryoshka appeared to be having such a great time by simply creating shelves, alphabetically arranging things different ways and filling the shelves. I wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t done but had a really good start!

• Like 10

For BritTripping, is it necessary to read in the order that you have mapped out? May a Rebel read in whichever order she likes?  ;)   I started listening to Blackout by Connie Willis last night, and right off the bat got Oxford and Warwickshire.

Warning to y'all: I just started poking around in my Goodreads account, and am figuring out how to use it. I'll probably try to friend most of you, and I'll mention my screen name when I do so. If I can figure it out. I got an account ages ago, and then never used it.

Thanks for books suggestions earlier in the thread. I downloaded the Kindle version of Death on the Nile, and also have ordered a copy of The Rage and the Pride.

Still plodding along with:

Kristin Lavransdatter

How to Read Literature Like a Professor

The Noonday Devil

and have added:

The Princess and the Goblin (read-aloud for DD)

Blackout (audiobook)

• Like 10

Goodreads is the awesomest.  I will admit to also keeping a Word doc that is more limited than my TR list and has which challenge I read or plan to read the book for.  But To keep track of what I'm reading and want to read in general, a word doc does not come close to a database, no less one with all those reviews.  I use it all the time to look up reviews to make sure I even want to put a book on my TR list.  And I will also say being friends with all the folks here on GR is the best.  I can also see who from here's read a book and how they liked it (whether just stars or a full review) or plans to read it.  And since I check in there at least once a day, I find the feed with who's adding things to their TR list or rating books they've read really nice for getting book ideas (yes, sometimes they're here too, but much easier to look into over at GR).  I used to look at Amazon for book reviews, but now I pretty much exclusively use GR for that.  The quality of review is better (and you never get ones that say 'received in good condition - 4 stars' or 'dropped in a puddle - one star!')

I do not participate in any groups or chats over there; this space is where I do the chatting. :)  But BaW doesn't have a built-in database - so GR it is!

• Like 12

Serendipity! I just picked up Ghostwalk which received a high rating from mumto2 and takes place in Cambridgeshire which is the next county after London (if one is trying to follow along perfectly, which I surely won't be)... maybe I will pull off more than a Bertram Wooster on this road trip after all!  

My Goodreads link is in my sig!  

• Like 8

For BritTripping, is it necessary to read in the order that you have mapped out? May a Rebel read in whichever order she likes?  ;)   I started listening to Blackout by Connie Willis last night, and right off the bat got Oxford and Warwickshire.

Warning to y'all: I just started poking around in my Goodreads account, and am figuring out how to use it. I'll probably try to friend most of you, and I'll mention my screen name when I do so. If I can figure it out. I got an account ages ago, and then never used it.

Thanks for books suggestions earlier in the thread. I downloaded the Kindle version of Death on the Nile, and also have ordered a copy of The Rage and the Pride.

Still plodding along with:

Kristin Lavransdatter

How to Read Literature Like a Professor

The Noonday Devil

and have added:

The Princess and the Goblin (read-aloud for DD)

Blackout (audiobook)

I will be really impressed if I manage to read in order! I have found many mystery series that I want to read this year that pretty much hit all the countyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s but are never going to be able to line up in the right order for the Roads. I have no serious intention of trying to force it to work. When it does wonderful! Of course you may read the counties out of order. Our primary objective is to have fun......when you are off somewhere else just consider yourself curled up in the caravan reading!

Serendipity! I just picked up Ghostwalk which received a high rating from mumto2 and takes place in Cambridgeshire which is the next county after London (if one is trying to follow along perfectly, which I surely won't be)... maybe I will pull off more than a Bertram Wooster on this road trip after all!  

My Goodreads link is in my sig!

My best friend sent me Ghostwalk as a birthday present a few years ago. Obviously I liked it! I hope you do too.

Reading planned out for London, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, and Bedfordshire. Fun!

So what are you reading for Bedfordshire? Personally I find that county to be hard.

• Like 8

I will probably pull a Bertie Wooster, unless I spread out more in England serendipitously.  I definitely will end up reading a bunch of books set in England, just not sure I want to seek out books just based on which shire they're from. ;)  I'll have to check retrospectively...

• Like 10

You may read in any order, Rebel. I'm attempting to keep with the schedule but I've accidentally read two books set in Devon so I'm a bit out of order.

I will probably pull a Bertie Wooster, unless I spread out more in England serendipitously.  I definitely will end up reading a bunch of books set in England, just not sure I want to seek out books just based on which shire they're from. ;)  I'll have to check retrospectively...

There's no shame at all in being a Bertie. Ranks are awarded for even five books read different counties from England. Our goal was to make this as inclusive and fun as possible!

Lowest Detective Rank - Adam Dalgliesh - five books + read one poem

Lowest Rebel Rank - Wilfred Owen - five books including one set during WWI + one WWI poem

Alternative Rebel Rank - JK Rowling - five books + one Harry Potter book

And for the new arrivals ... my goodreads is here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5684259-amy

• Like 9

I finished Ghost Bride today and honestly I loved it.  :lol:  It felt like a guilty-pleasure type of love it.  Like I could have picked this up at another time and maybe not liked it so much?  Idk.  

Either way, it was a great book for now.  :)

Next up is You Shall Know Our Velocity - and I also picked up Hyperbole and a Half, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, and Uncle Tom's Cabin today at the library.  

• Like 9

I finally got caught up on the thread but ran out of likes. I will not be Brit Tripping, unless accidentally, my only goal is just to read.

I also started listening to Trevor Noah's Born a Crime, as recommended by Erin, and it is fantastic.  

I am picking this up today at the library and looking forward to starting it with all the good reviews.

• Like 4

As I visit the Library once a month, I am looking forward.

Am I right that for Huntingdonshire no recommanded books are available?

And I can count a book both for BINGO and Brit trip right?

I had planned to go back and attempt to separate the Cambridge ones out but forgot. Sorry. I will work on it right now on Goodreads. The lists I looked at tended to ignore Huntingdonshire so I found it easier to also. In most people's minds the Huntingdonshire is sort of part of Cambridgeshire.

Can a book count for more than one county? I'm up to three so far in Blackout.

They can be used for more than one county on the list but you will need to read an extra book from somewhere depending on what level you are trying for. Definitely keep track of all the counties your books go through. There are a couple that may be harder for some of us. ;)
  • Like 5

I finally got caught up on the thread but ran out of likes. I will not be Brit Tripping, unless accidentally, my only goal is just to read.

I am picking this up today at the library and looking forward to starting it with all the good reviews.

I also picked up Born a Crime at the library yesterday.  I may have abandoned the other books I was reading in order to start this.  So far, definitely worth the abandoning.  I haven`t gotten too far (5 chapters in) but I will add to the good reviews.

• Like 8

I had planned to go back and attempt to separate the Cambridge ones out but forgot. Sorry. I will work on it right now on Goodreads. The lists I looked at tended to ignore Huntingdonshire so I found it easier to also. In most people's minds the Huntingdonshire is sort of part of Cambridgeshire.

They can be used for more than one county on the list but you will need to read an extra book from somewhere depending on what level you are trying for. Definitely keep track of all the counties your books go through. There are a couple that may be harder for some of us. ;)

Knowing I can use a Cambridge one works too!

I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to give you extra work...!!!

• Like 4

As I visit the Library once a month, I am looking forward.

Am I right that for Huntingdonshire no recommanded books are available?

And I can count a book both for BINGO and Brit trip right?

Do I give away my secret planned book for Huntingdonshire? ;)

ETA: I shall. T. S. Eliot's Four Quartets has been on my tbr pile for a while, and the fourth poem of it is "Little Gidding," which is of course in Huntingdonshire. The first three poems are named for places in Somersetshire, The Cotswolds, and Massachusetts, but I'm going to be good and only count it for the one county.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 8

Giving you all fair warning that I am thoroughly enjoying Goodreads as a cataloging device and will now be trying to friend a bunch of you via a process of guesswork and process of elimination.  Hoping I don't randomly friend someone who isn't part of BaW!

• Like 8

Giving you all fair warning that I am thoroughly enjoying Goodreads as a cataloging device and will now be trying to friend a bunch of you via a process of guesswork and process of elimination.  Hoping I don't randomly friend someone who isn't part of BaW!

Loesje, I just sent you a friend request in Goodreads, but it wouldn't let me attach a message. My first name is Heather.

When I get a friend request I usually look to see if we have mutual friends. If I see other BaW names I know the person sending the request is from here. :) Of course if someone is new they might not have friends yet so I approve the request, then if I later realize I don't know the person I just remove them.

I think this is the invitation to friend me (Heather I think you friended me this morning).

https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?feature=friend-invite-url&i=LTM1OTk5NjcyMzE6MzY1

• Like 7