Menu

Has anyone been to Athens?

mommyoffive

I have been to Athens, but it was many years ago as a teenager.

It was okay. The Parthenon was pretty cool, but the rest of Athens I don’t recall particularly enjoying (but again, I was a teenager). Santorini, Crete, Delphi,, etc were memorable and beautiful.

I would love to go to Greece again someday, and I’d likely still visit Athens because I’m sure, as an adult making my own agenda, there are many beautiful and valuable sites to visit. But I would likely spend the bulk of my time elsewhere.

Some of the islands are definitely more touristy, but the people are so very friendly and the scenery so very beautiful that I just couldn’t skip it all to spend more time in Athens. I guess it depends on your purpose and goals for the trip.

I didn’t have children at the time, but I don’t imagine young children would have much fun. Older children, especially those interested in the ancients &/or mythology, would likely really enjoy a trip to Greece. I’ve always wished I could take my oldest daughter, who has been a mythology buff since age 9 or so, to Greece. It would be an amazing trip for her.

I have been to Athens, but it was many years ago as a teenager.

It was okay. The Parthenon was pretty cool, but the rest of Athens I don’t recall particularly enjoying (but again, I was a teenager). Santorini, Crete, Delphi,, etc were memorable and beautiful.

I would love to go to Greece again someday, and I’d likely still visit Athens because I’m sure, as an adult making my own agenda, there are many beautiful and valuable sites to visit. But I would likely spend the bulk of my time elsewhere.

Some of the islands are definitely more touristy, but the people are so very friendly and the scenery so very beautiful that I just couldn’t skip it all to spend more time in Athens. I guess it depends on your purpose and goals for the trip.

I didn’t have children at the time, but I don’t imagine young children would have much fun. Older children, especially those interested in the ancients &/or mythology, would likely really enjoy a trip to Greece. I’ve always wished I could take my oldest daughter, who has been a mythology buff since age 9 or so, to Greece. It would be an amazing trip for her.

That is why we would go.  My ds is and would like to see places that Percy Jackson has in his books. 

We took the kids to Rome and all of them loved the ancient sites there, so I think they would enjoy it too. 

I have to admit I am far from an expert as I only have been to Athens once on a cruise but personally, I think it is one of the less interesting cities. It definitely is good for a day (or maybe two) - we visited the acropolis (kids were rather disappointed due to the scaffolding/renovations etc.), the plaka (I think that is what it was called), and the old town/shopping area. It was nice but I don't think there were many sights we missed out on (well, we didn't visit the main museum but that is it). We went on a second cruise to Greece and I had a hard time coming up with something to do in Athens (I could find weeks of stuff to do in London, Rome, etc.) but as it turned out that stop got cancelled and we went to Split instead!

Maybe take a look at Tripadvisor/a travel guide to see which attractions you are interested in? Don't get me wrong - I did enjoy the day we spent there but I just don't think there are that many touristy things to do for a longer stay. Personally, I would combine a day or two in Athens with some time at the beach/on an island etc.

Yes. Most recently, stayed a couple weeks with friends at their place a few blocks from the Parthenon. Took kid. Mostly ate and drank a lot of wonderful things but did some archaeology and museum stuff too. Had a marvelous time and look forward to returning.

I hadn't been back since the construction of the new Acropolis museum. It's brilliant and I loved it.

Athens is a great city. You should go and take the kids.

ETA in contrast to PP, I find the city vibrant and fascinating with tons and tons of interesting things to do. I would happily go back again and again.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

Out of all of Greece, we found Athens to be the.....well, it wasn't very nice away from the Acropolis.  It's crowded and dirty.  We did it as part of a tour of Greece but found we enjoyed the other stops much better: Katakolon(Olympia) and Corfu were two of our favorites.  I don't think I would take children to go hang out in Athens without being part of a tour, and that's saying a lot since I prefer to explore on my own.

Yes. Most recently, stayed a couple weeks with friends at their place a few blocks from the Parthenon. Took kid. Mostly ate and drank a lot of wonderful things but did some archaeology and museum stuff too. Had a marvelous time and look forward to returning.

I hadn't been back since the construction of the new Acropolis museum. It's brilliant and I loved it.

Athens is a great city. You should go and take the kids.

ETA in contrast to PP, I find the city vibrant and fascinating with tons and tons of interesting things to do. I would happily go back again and again.

I am sure you are right - it is a very different experience staying for a longer time with people living there and enjoying the atmosphere of a city (we did enjoy what we saw and the atmosphere). So I didn't mean to imply that it isn't a cool city - I just couldn't find many sights that sounded exciting when I thought we would spend another day there. But I will follow the thread to see what else people are recommending in case we do get to go back again! 

• Like 1

We spent a day on a cruise with a 12 yo mythology buff. The Acropolis was cool, and we briefly visited some other ruins close by. My kids aren’t museum fans, so they liked the Acropolis and the ruins, and then were basically done even though we dragged them through the museum. I thought it was great for the day, but have no real desire to go back. We visited some Greek islands and I would love to return there, plus I would love to visit Delphi.

• Like 1

I am sure you are right - it is a very different experience staying for a longer time with people living there and enjoying the atmosphere of a city (we did enjoy what we saw and the atmosphere). So I didn't mean to imply that it isn't a cool city - I just couldn't find many sights that sounded exciting when I thought we would spend another day there. But I will follow the thread to see what else people are recommending in case we do get to go back again!

Hey, different strokes. I just felt it my duty to defend a city that treated me well, especially because Athens often gets a bad rap. And yes, seeing a place with locals is always more fun and interesting. I have always managed to enjoy myself in Athens even traveling solo, but big and congested and noisy and colorful adds to the fun for me. ;)

• Like 3

We took our kids (then ~20, 16, 12) a few years ago, along with another family with kids of similar ages.  

Our family group arrived in Athens two days before the other family, and we wandered around on our own, over the Agora, the stadium, Temple of Zeus, archaeology museum (which gave a sort of useful frame onto which we could hang much of what we saw), the ancient synagogue and associated museum, the changing of the Parliament guard (#Awesome; remember Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks ? anyhow...) and poking into casual tavernas and learning what to eat in Greece (mmmmmmm......).

Then our friends arrived and with them we saw the Acropolis itself (you can easily arrange for a half-day guide or tour, which I recommend) and, from Athens, did a long day trip to Delphi (HIGHLY recommended).

Then we went off to the islands, where we did a mix of Great Sights and boat-and-beach-and-whitewashed-village frolicking.

Then we returned through another night Athens, where we saw a bit more and had a wonderful final evening at one of those clifftop restaurants overlooking the gloriously lit Parthenon.

All in probably four nights (?) in Athens, which I felt was a good amount.  It's one of those cities that has a whole lot in it worth seeing, but the city itself doesn't cohere in quite the fabulous way that others do.

• Like 1

It is my dream to go. I minored in classical studies in college with a focus on Ancient Greek. I fell in love with Greece through that minor and I have since wanted to go badly. We want to wait until the kids are a few years older though. I believe, for those passionate about Western history, it would be a powerful experience.

• Like 2

I went about 6 or 7 years ago.  I accompanied Dh on a business trip so no kids and we had about 4 days there, IIRC.

I loved it.  We went to the Acropolis, a bunch of the museums, wandered around using the subway.   I would love to go back and have more time.  We went in December so it was chilly and we didn't make it to any of the beaches or islands.

• Like 1

The kids and I went a few years ago with Lukeion. The National Archaeological Museum is amazing — I wish we'd had more time there. I think we were there for 3 days total, and we also visited the Acropolis, Acropolis Museum, Agora, Plaka, and I forget what else. If your kids are into mythology and Greek history, I highly recommend a day tour from Athens to Mycenae! That was one of the highlights of the tour for both DS and myself.

ETA: Just to give you an idea, here's a TripAdvisor blurb about a day trip from Athens to Nafplio, Epidauros (also really interesting) and Mycenae. We did almost the exact same route in one day, albeit with Lukeion, not this particular tour. Totally worth it!

• Like 1

The National Archaeological Museum is amazing — 

If your kids are into mythology and Greek history, I highly recommend a day tour from Athens to Mycenae! 

Agree with both of these. And heck, go even if your kids aren't into mythology and Greek history: Mycenae is a marvel. (Although I recommend - instead of just a day trip - staying overnight at La Petite Planete for more time at the ruins, breathtaking views, good food, and warm welcome. The pool and the puppies are pretty sweet too. :) )

Edited by bibiche

I have been to Athens twice--the first time was about 5 years ago; I was there for business and spent about five days in Athens.  I enjoyed the trip immensely; I did get to go to the Acropolis, the Acropolis Museum, and the Temple of Poseidon (along with a visit to a wonderful beach), and a few other tourist activities.  DD and I went on a cruise last summer that stopped in Athens for the day, as well as several of the Greek Isles.  Different areas of Greece definitely have a different feel.  Athens is a big city with all of that comes along with a big city; if you want to see the beach or quaint side of Greece, you will need to leave Athens.  DD went to Delphi as part of her study abroad program and really enjoyed that.  I am eager to see more of Greece.

We stayed one or two nights there on our trip to Europe when the kids were 7.

It was July and as hot as Hades.  Because of the heat, we pretty much hated it.  Which is a shame, since that is a really interesting place if you aren't dying.

The late evenings were pleasant.  We ate at restaurants with tables on the sidewalks.  The restaurant TVs were showing the soccer championships and it was the US vs. Somebody, so it was fun to see folks rooting for or against us.  :P  People were nice, especially to kids.

• 1 month later...

With a bunch of little kids you might prefer to base yourself in Poros. By hydrofoil it's only about an hour to Piraeus.

I looked into that, but it was like 220 Euros for a round trip ferry ride. 

Some people suggested staying there and going into Athens for the day.   

Not for that cost. 

But maybe stay 2 nights in Athens and then go out there? 

What is there to do in Poros? 

What is there to do in Poros? 

There's a cute little town, beach, apparently an archaeological museum. I've never spent much time, just a couple overnights so am not terribly familiar with it, but it is nice, pretty, relaxing, and close to Athens. We always say that when we have more time we will spend a few days there. :)