Menu

Sympathize with me - Horse People *Happy Update*

Sdel

So, my DD's pony was diagnosed with navicular.  The vet and her trainer don't think she'll stay sound enough through the training to get her suitable for DD to ride, or anyone to ride.  We are all okay to give her the opportunity to try though.  

In the mean time, we are keeping our eyes open on for a replacement pony for DD.  So the trainer heard of a cheap, very well trained western pony.  My riding instructor, my daughter and I went and tried him, liked him, and were going to move towards trying to get a pre-purchase set up.....until the seller that he was a late geld and he had never been turned out with mares.  

So, we passed on him.  I currently can't manage to maintain a mare and gelding paddock.  

It may have been he wouldn't pass the PPE.  The guy was really trying to get me to forgo one and said several times he wouldn't pass one.  I'm not sure how he could be convinced that what appeared to be a reasonably sound 18 y/o horse couldn't pass a PPE for a kid that only wanted to do some weekly lessons and trail ride around in a pasture unless he knew something he wasn't advertising.

I'm having such a hard time with it because the guy said if he didn't find a home; today he would going to the auction.  They only gave him a week.

Stefanie

Update:  Just heard through my contact that he was bought by a local riding academy. 

Edited by Sdel
  • Like 1

I would be chewing on this as well.

Can you arrange to take him on a trial basis - perhaps for a month? This would give you a chance to see how he is working out with the mares and how the riding goes.

During this trial month, you would be responsible for feed and any other care.

• Like 1

I would be chewing on this as well.

Can you arrange to take him on a trial basis - perhaps for a month? This would give you a chance to see how he is working out with the mares and how the riding goes.

During this trial month, you would be responsible for feed and any other care.

No.  They had already dumped him off sort of as a donation to the local uni's horse program.  Since the person using him failed out, they were told to come get him.  Instead of taking him home and finding a home they were taking him to the auction.

They were very frank about not being interested in anything that meant dealing with him past today.  That is what is messing with me the most I think.

Stefanie

So sorry.

If you were in West Michigan I might be selling my 14hh mare.

If you were willing to ship her, we might be able to work something out.  We really are about 6 - 8 months away from having enough grazing though.  We have to knock down mesquite, burn, till and re-seed.

Stefanie

There's a reason he is cheap. Jus' sayin'....

ETA: This guy is manipulative and knows what he's doing, as far as getting a sale goes.

So, my DD's pony was diagnosed with navicular. The vet and her trainer don't think she'll stay sound enough through the training to get her suitable for DD to ride, or anyone to ride. We are all okay to give her the opportunity to try though.

In the mean time, we are keeping our eyes open on for a replacement pony for DD. So the trainer heard of a cheap, very well trained western pony. My riding instructor, my daughter and I went and tried him, liked him, and were going to move towards trying to get a pre-purchase set up.....until the seller that he was a late geld and he had never been turned out with mares.

So, we passed on him. I currently can't manage to maintain a mare and gelding paddock.

It may have been he wouldn't pass the PPE. The guy was really trying to get me to forgo one and said several times he wouldn't pass one. I'm not sure how he could be convinced that what appeared to be a reasonably sound 18 y/o horse couldn't pass a PPE for a kid that only wanted to do some weekly lessons and trail ride around in a pasture unless he knew something he wasn't advertising.

I'm having such a hard time with it because the guy said if he didn't find a home; today he would going to the auction. They only gave him a week.

Stefanie

Edited by reefgazer

There's a reason he is cheap. Jus' sayin'....

ETA: This guy is manipulative and knows what he's doing, as far as getting a sale goes.

Yes, it was a total bait and switch in some ways.  The original contact was the finance telling a friend of a friend that it was a "financial crisis" rehoming to a local children's home and when we went and talked to them it was a "can't be bothered" rehoming.  

But again, the horse was obviously well trained, well muscled and appeared reasonably sound.  

Stefanie

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud here...if it's not too late could you have a PPE performed and then you know what you are dealing with?

Can you talk to your vet about this situation. Maybe s/he'll reduce the fee a little?

No, I'm pretty sure he's already gone.  The guy wasn't bluffing that he'd be at the auction today.   

Stefanie

If you were willing to ship her, we might be able to work something out.  We really are about 6 - 8 months away from having enough grazing though.  We have to knock down mesquite, burn, till and re-seed.

Stefanie

We shipped one to Nebraska before :-).....a cute little 13hh Haflinger/paint pony.  My daughter decided to sell him and be done with horses.

The one that might be for sale is my mare.  She is 20 but is sound and should pass any vet exams.  No lameness, bite, buck, kick, etc.  She is short and squat.  She came from Colorado and was a ranch horse with some reining training.  I have just trail ridden her.  Changes in life means we might be looking for her a new home.  We also have a phenomenal gelding but he is 28 and while in great health/great teeth, etc. he is older.  He has done shows, a bit of jumping (not in the past few years), a bit of speed, lots of trails, etc.  He excels at nothing but is great at everything......meaning he won't win at big shows but is a horse a girl can do just about anything with.

Have you spoken to a farrier about your horse with navicular? My parents purchased an older barrel horse for me that had navicular and, with special shoes, I got several years out of her doing speed events, moving cattle, and and pasture riding.

Yes, she’s been seen by a farrier. Her navicular is pretty bad. She has a huge hole in the bone of her right front. She could make it through training, but will still probably never be suitable for my DD. The mare is a tester and my DD is very timid. As it stands right now, the pony scares DD, even on the ground.

Stefanie

Ottakee,

We are looking for a confidence builder and not much more right now. Something safe and gentle that she can canter around an arena or trail. She has processing issues that probably limit showing to local fun stuff, if even that. She has a lot of anxiety so she probably wouldn’t want to show anyway. She currently rides English but my instructor and I want to gear her more western. She has more opportunity to advance there if she chooses to than she probably would with English disciplines.

ETA: I have a 19-20 y/o mare for me that is similar. She has an jumping background so I’m learning low level dressage on her.

Stefanie

Edited by Sdel