Menu

What's with the ads?

camyblue7

TYCTR in 100 EL for Kindergartener

Hi, my kindergartener is struggling with phonics and blending so we are starting 100EL next week. Did you use any other sources with 100EL? Bob books or Nora Gaydos books? Anything?

Hi,

I have used this for two kids now (well, on lesson 80 with the second one). With the second I didn’t use anything else at all, he took to it well and at the end went almost directly into magic treehouse level books pretty quickly. With this second one, I have needed to slow it down a bit an take some lighter days with McGuffey type readers as his personality hasn’t been able to go straight through. But no, I don’t think it is necessary usually.

I used 100EZ with all three of my dc and truthfully, it isn't a great book. I threw it out when we finished it.

BUT, if you've already purchased it, yes adding things is great once you've reached a point where your child can do some blending. I liked the online, free Progressive Phonics. I printed out the books and went through that with my youngest. It was essentially free and no problems alternating days.

I See Sam is another program where I think the first level was available free online, although we didn't like that one as much.

The progression of the Bob books mystified me, so we never went beyond the ones available at our library.

• Like 2

I used 100EZ with all three of my dc and truthfully, it isn't a great book. I threw it out when we finished it.

BUT, if you've already purchased it, yes adding things is great once you've reached a point where your child can do some blending. I liked the online, free Progressive Phonics. I printed out the books and went through that with my youngest. It was essentially free and no problems alternating days.

I See Sam is another program where I think the first level was available free online, although we didn't like that one as much.

The progression of the Bob books mystified me, so we never went beyond the ones available at our library.

Agree with this 100%. Imo the best thing about 100EZ is teaching the “say it fast†concept. I used it for both of my kids for that and then switched to Progressive Phonics. My youngest needs extra practice beyond PP to cement new things, so I just write out sentences for her on paper and then use a variety of BOB books and Suess type books.

• Like 1

We used 100 EZ lessons, but I supplemented.  I used blue/red letters on a tray to make it hands on instead of the book, and created word cards (same blue/red pattern for consonants/vowels) so that we had those instead of reading directly from the book.  Everything was left on a low table so that it was available any time.  We did NOT do the writing activities.  He wasn't ready at the same time, so we held back.  When he did start, we used a Montessori/Charlotte Mason approach: tactile letters, a spindle and sand box, and School-Rite guides before switching to paper/pencil with a very slow introduction.  Every step repeated stroke order sequences - starting with 'l', then 't' and 'i', then 'c', 'a', 'd'...obviously not the same as the order letters are presented in 100 EZ Lessons, which are great for reading but not so great for writing introduction.

Thank you everyone! Great suggestions. I definitely think I will have to supplement with some of these. I never thought about the letter trays and cards. I think my kiddo would really benefit from that.

I've used 100 ez lessons for 3 kids and it was great! I supplemented with I see sam books when it seemed like they needed a break from the book. My 3 boys read very well and always above grade level (they are nothing alike either). I tried PP but it was so confusing for me and overwhelming for my boys that I ditched it after trying multiple times to use it. I liked 100 ez lessons much better.

I just found these on teachers pay teacher that go with 100 ez lessons and they look like they could be a great addition if needed! She has a bunch of others listed underneath so check those too.

Edited by seemesew

Hi,

I have used this for two kids now (well, on lesson 80 with the second one). With the second I didn’t use anything else at all, he took to it well and at the end went almost directly into magic treehouse level books pretty quickly. With this second one, I have needed to slow it down a bit an take some lighter days with McGuffey type readers as his personality hasn’t been able to go straight through. But no, I don’t think it is necessary usually.

This was my same experience with my children when I taught them to read a hundred years ago! I loved 100EZ. BTW you can skip the writing portion, and often times I only had them read the "story" once.

Interesting. I've used it with my oldest two and working thru it with my youngest now.

I think it's great for blending and say it fast.

It is very challenging for me to sit through. I'm greatly looking forward to chucking that stupid thing out of my life.

We move to opgtr after 100ez and I only include other reading books if they really want to. Usually they are done by the end of the lesson. My little secret is that they aren't as 'done' as mama... I just hide that fact.

I loved the I See Sam books for teaching reading, esp if they struggle. Simple, easy, and the first 52 can be printed free if desired.

It is very challenging for me to sit through. I'm greatly looking forward to chucking that stupid thing out of my life.

My little secret is that they aren't as 'done' as mama... I just hide that fact.

I just want to say amen to this. 100EZ got both my girls reading, but it nearly killed me. 🙄 By the second, I did wise up and knit while we did the lessons.

My nearly 4yo is asking to learn to read. It's 100EZ again (or OPGTR, but the whole letter sound poem thing at the beginning of that also drives me nuts). 😂

• Like 1

Teaching children to read is hard work, and it is not the fault of any of the programs!

100EZ worked for all of my kids, even my 3-year old who was anxious to learn so that she could be like her older siblings. Teach the letters and basic letter sounds before starting 100 EZ. Don’t do the writing. Take multiple days to do a lesson if needed. After 100EZ, use Dr. Seuss books, and then use whatever easy readers you like.

• Like 1