Menu

New flooring is going in upstairs even as I type!!

StaceyinLA

We are in the middle of a HUGE remodel that has been a long time coming. This morning, my husband and a couple of neighbors are installing the new flooring upstairs. SO excited to see how my new paint color actually looks with the floors (really hard to tell down here where we have sample walls painted because of the interference from the old, bright wall color and the slate floors).

Phase 1 is almost complete!!

• Like 8

I’m doing a luxury vinyl plank - looks like wood/laminate, but it’s waterproof and has a lifetime warranty. I wanted something I could put everywhere. Our downstairs has been slate ceramic tile (it’s what we put when we moved in), and, though I LOVE how great of a floor it has been, the colors in it have really hindered my decorating over the years. I love that this “wood†will be much more neutral and allow me to do a lot of different things.

Our upstairs was carpeted (we did that more for insulation when all the kids were living at home), so this is gonna be an amazing change for up there!

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 2

Please let me know what you think of it.  That is my dream floor.  When we redid all of the flooring on our main floor before we moved into our current house we went with Laminate.  The vinyl plank flooring was too new for me to have even heard about it.  How I WISH I had the waterproof stuff.   Dog, cat, kids, farm, snow, mud, etc.  UGG

What brand did you get?  Is this something that can go in a kitchen?  We are thinking of replacing the carpeting with a hard floor surface in the dining room which is naturally adjacent to the kitchen and I think it would flow better to have the two the same.  I doubt you have a kitchen upstairs, but wondered if you were putting it in a bathroom where water would be an issue.  Hope you're enjoying it!

We had vinyl plank in the bathrooms and laundry room in our old house. I absolutely loved those floors! Would definitely replace our current floors with it when they need to be redone.

This is interesting. I've never thought of using this for a bathroom. Was it fairly easy to install or a big head-ache? We need now bathroom flooring soon. I assumed I'd be going with tile, but I'm open other options.

We have the super cheap.....like cheapest they make at Home Depot...vinyl plank flooring in our basement bathroom, hall and one bedroom. It is the kind that just has a sticky edge to stick it to the next plank.

It looks like brand new after 6 years. Water SITS on it for hours (ok, maybe days) at a time and it just wipes up.

I would suggest a but higher quality for a main bath, etc but I am super pleased even with the very low end stuff.

This is interesting. I've never thought of using this for a bathroom. Was it fairly easy to install or a big head-ache? We need now bathroom flooring soon. I assumed I'd be going with tile, but I'm open other options.

They were already in the house when we bought it, but I have heard they aren’t too hard to install. Ours looked like tile and had a slight texture, so weren’t slippery.

They don't get too slippery when wet? Is there a texture to them? 

We have Armstrong Alterna luxury vinyl tile in our bathrooms. We had it professionally installed and grouted in. It has a slight texture to it and isn't slippery at all. It's close to two years old and looks brand new.

I installed Trafficmaster Allure vinyl planks in most of our upstairs a few months ago. They're much less expensive than the Armstrong product, but our upstairs gets little traffic/use since the boys are both at college. It was easy to DIY and I'm very happy with it. It's a huge improvement from the old carpet!