Menu

interactive online class for social 5th grader?

rbk mama

Does this exist?  I have an extroverted 5th/6th grade DD who would benefit from a socially interactive class.  Right now we're living in a place with very little available in terms of IRL classes she can take.  The subject matter could be almost anything - if it was a fun class, we could work it in somehow.  

I am uncertain if you are looking for something right now, something in the summer or something in the fall but a source you might consider for right now is Outschool.  Some classes are self-paced but some are live and include discussion.  I don't guarantee there would be direct interaction with the other students.  Some have them and some don't  There are many Outschool classes that are of shorter duration and inexpensive so if it didn't work out as well as you had hoped then no big deal.  If it did and your child liked the teacher they will probably offer other classes, too.  Most have more than one offering.

https://outschool.com/#abjcxfy110

My daughter's art and art history classes at Excelsior have all been interactive, in real time, with the teacher and the students but I think those classes start with 8th graders.  Other teachers at Excelsior would be using the same platform so they may allow a lot of interaction, too, and some of those classes are for 6th graders.  The fall schedule is not out yet and Spring has already closed.  The fall schedule will theoretically be a lot larger than what they currently have listed for Spring.  I don't know if they will offer summer classes nor do I know when they will release their schedule for this coming school year but you could glance through for an idea of what they offered this Spring.

http://excelsiorclasses.com/#slide1

Classes through Open Tent Academy are frequently interactive at least during part of the class.  They don't have their fall schedule out, which will be much larger than what they have up for their Winter (what some call Spring) classes currently listed (and already closed) but you might keep an eye out.  I think they may release their preliminary schedule for fall sometime in February.

http://www.opententacademy.com/

If I think of anything else I will post.

ETA: Outschool has classes starting up all the time (Most classes don't go by a standard PS schedule.)  Sometimes teachers will allow suggestions for a time/date for a particular class.  If enough other people agree to sign up for that time/day of the week (usually 5 students) then you can have it at a convenient time/day for you.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

Oh one thing to keep in mind is that many on-line classes do class interaction through a chat function so a student needs to be able to type.  Some also have live video interaction but many teachers limit that or don't have it at all, especially for younger kids because they tend to get off topic quite easily.  

Does your daughter type?

• Like 1

I am uncertain if you are looking for something right now, something in the summer or something in the fall but a source you might consider for right now is Outschool.  Some classes are self-paced but some are live and include discussion.  I don't guarantee there would be direct interaction with the other students.  Some have them and some don't  There are many Outschool classes that are of shorter duration and inexpensive so if it didn't work out as well as you had hoped then no big deal.  If it did and your child liked the teacher they will probably offer other classes, too.  Most have more than one offering.

https://outschool.com/#abjcxfy110

My daughter's art and art history classes at Excelsior have all been interactive, in real time, with the teacher and the students but I think those classes start with 8th graders.  Other teachers at Excelsior would be using the same platform so they may allow a lot of interaction, too, and some of those classes are for 6th graders.  The fall schedule is not out yet and Spring has already closed.  The fall schedule will theoretically be a lot larger than what they currently have listed for Spring.  I don't know if they will offer summer classes nor do I know when they will release their schedule for this coming school year but you could glance through for an idea of what they offered this Spring.

http://excelsiorclasses.com/#slide1

Classes through Open Tent Academy are frequently interactive at least during part of the class.  They don't have their fall schedule out, which will be much larger than what they have up for their Winter (what some call Spring) classes currently listed (and already closed) but you might keep an eye out.  I think they may release their preliminary schedule for fall sometime in February.

http://www.opententacademy.com/

If I think of anything else I will post.

ETA: Outschool has classes starting up all the time (Most classes don't go by a standard PS schedule.)  Sometimes teachers will allow suggestions for a time/date for a particular class.  If enough other people agree to sign up for that time/day of the week (usually 5 students) then you can have it at a convenient time/day for you.

WOW, Outschool looks AMAZING!  And some of the classes haven't started yet.  Since I only started looking now, I was assuming most options would be for this Fall, but if we can find short classes for this semester, that would be great.  I love their classes, too - they look very fun and right up this kid's alley.  Looks like the other two you mentioned are more traditional in terms of timing, but I will go through them while making plans for this Fall.  Thank you!!

• Like 1

Oh one thing to keep in mind is that many on-line classes do class interaction through a chat function so a student needs to be able to type.  Some also have live video interaction but many teachers limit that or don't have it at all, especially for younger kids because they tend to get off topic quite easily.  

Does your daughter type?

She's working on her typing - it's definitely not up to the level where she can do it easily.  I would probably need to help her if she needed to respond real time to something.

• Like 1

Athena's Academy is worth checking out. They really encourage socialization and chatting outside of class and have heavily moderated forums for that purpose. Their classes tend to be input heavy, with a lot of optional extras, but output light, and most classes do not give grades. Be aware that since they focus on gifted kids, the average age tends to be a little lower than the grade level (a middle school level class will be a lot of 3rd-5th graders, for example). Online G3 is similar, but doesn't seem to stress the social component quite as much, and DD has made a lot more friends at Athena's. DD's typing improved a lot when she started doing online classes, so I wouldn't hold back for that reason except maybe for something like AoPS where it is ALL typing and kids who don't type quickly can be left out. Athena's has some 8-week classes that will start in March.

And, a small plug-DD13 is a junior instructor at Athena's and will be teaching a second session of her Introduction to Herpetology class in the Spring. I moderate the class and the forums for the class, and it definitely was a social experience for the kids last semester-many of whom seemed to be practically ready to explode at finally having someone to talk about snakes and frogs with.

Edited by Dmmetler2
  • Like 5

She's working on her typing - it's definitely not up to the level where she can do it easily.  I would probably need to help her if she needed to respond real time to something.

Is she using a program?  I found that the kids improved more quickly when we used a typing program, and one that specifically focused on accuracy over speed.  Speed improves more quickly in the long run if the student is CONSISTENTLY, every single time, placing their fingers on the keys correctly and hitting them correctly, even if they have to go slow to do it and if they are spending at least 5-10 minutes a day practicing.    The most effective way to build up muscle and procedural memory is accuracy and consistency of typing.  Once accuracy becomes more automatic then speed starts to improve.  Working on speed first means the student may be inconsistently hitting the keys so muscle and procedural memory are not being reinforced.  

I agree, though, that while typing is improving she will probably have far richer responses if you are typing for her during class.  I did that with both kids for a while until their typing was fast enough they could respond and carry on a conversation.  It can be really frustrating if by the time you finally type your response they have moved on to another topic or they think your response is to the immediate question/comment but you meant it for something spoken prior to that.  And then the student is also potentially missing important material because they are so worried about and focused on typing out responses.  I had to be VERY careful not to take over the conversation/responses though.  It isn't my class, it is their class.  I needed to make sure I was typing what they asked me to type.  Yes, sometimes I made suggestions if I felt a response might accidentally offend someone or be confusing but they need to feel they are being respected and that even though you are the one typing it is still their own responses that are being read and responded to.

DD is very independent now in her classes but when she started out she needed a lot of scaffolding so I sat in on every class.  I don't regret that time.  I was able to see where she needed more explicit instruction and practice and scaffolding to stay on top of assignments and communication, etc.  I also got to share the experiences with her and frequently did the assignments myself as well for my own experience/expanding knowledge/improved skill sets.  DD and I thoroughly enjoyed our time together and love to talk about various things that happened in those classes or fun/exciting projects we loved.

I will say that both kids have had some nice on-line classes but DD especially has really thoroughly enjoyed getting to know teachers and classmates and interacting with them weekly.  She has has one teacher in particular for 6-7 semesters (different classes) and some of the students have been in many of those classes with her so they have gotten to know each other better over the years.  Me, too, actually.  I consider her teacher a friend now and adore several of DD's classmates.  DD and I will be a bit sad when this semester ends.  There will be no more classes this teacher offers.  At the same time it has been a really nice experience.  I hope your daughter and you find something similar.

Oh, in looking up the link for you I read further and I noticed that at least Open Tent Academy will also be offering some clubs/unit studies/short duration classes this summer but the schedule has not been released yet.  

• Like 1

Athena's Academy looks great!  I wish she were interested in all things reptilian because that would be too cool if she took the class taught by your daughter, Dmmetler!  My boys would have loved that.  Sigh.  Anyway, I love the look of their community.  Do you happen to know how their Minecraft courses work? (Or even how to find the ones that use Minecraft?  A simple "Minecraft" search doesn't work.)  Thanks!

• Like 2

Yes, I'm happy to sit and type for her if I need to.  She has used the free Dance Mat Typing off and on, but we just recently started TTRS (she is dyslexic; she doesn't love TTRS so far but I think its working.)  We're a bit late to get serious about typing for her.  :blushing:

• Like 1

Athena's Academy is worth checking out. They really encourage socialization and chatting outside of class and have heavily moderated forums for that purpose. Their classes tend to be input heavy, with a lot of optional extras, but output light, and most classes do not give grades. Be aware that since they focus on gifted kids, the average age tends to be a little lower than the grade level (a middle school level class will be a lot of 3rd-5th graders, for example). Online G3 is similar, but doesn't seem to stress the social component quite as much, and DD has made a lot more friends at Athena's. DD's typing improved a lot when she started doing online classes, so I wouldn't hold back for that reason except maybe for something like AoPS where it is ALL typing and kids who don't type quickly can be left out. Athena's has some 8-week classes that will start in March.

And, a small plug-DD13 is a junior instructor at Athena's and will be teaching a second session of her Introduction to Herpetology class in the Spring. I moderate the class and the forums for the class, and it definitely was a social experience for the kids last semester-many of whom seemed to be practically ready to explode at finally having someone to talk about snakes and frogs with.

Is she taking it again in autumn? We aren't ready yet.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm happy to sit and type for her if I need to. She has used the free Dance Mat Typing off and on, but we just recently started TTRS (she is dyslexic; she doesn't love TTRS so far but I think its working.) We're a bit late to get serious about typing for her. :blushing:

Hey never too late. I wasn't taught until high school. DD didn't really work consistently on typing until 7th grade. We both type just fine. :)

And yeah TTRS isn't the most scintillating of typing programs but it has some awesome elements that pair well with a dyslexic brain.

Oh has she had a chance to explore the settings? DS loves changing the background, voice/accent, etc. He types more because he wants to see/hear the changes he wrought. LOL

• Like 1

Athena's Academy looks great! I wish she were interested in all things reptilian because that would be too cool if she took the class taught by your daughter, Dmmetler! My boys would have loved that. Sigh. Anyway, I love the look of their community. Do you happen to know how their Minecraft courses work? (Or even how to find the ones that use Minecraft? A simple "Minecraft" search doesn't work.) Thanks!

The Minecraft classes usually have a statement about an optional Minecraft supplement. Usually it’s a situation where Minecraft is being used as a group sandbox as an optional output, like creating maps in geography or reconstructions to match history (at least, for the classes DD took).There are also open rooms to allow collaboration. Basically, it’s a very safe, closely monitored server with very specific rules.

• Like 2

Is she taking it again in autumn? We aren't ready yet.

She is planning a course on “venomous, poisonous, toothy, Giant, and just plain weird†herps for next fall which will then be in rotation with the intro course (with the idea that they can be taken in any order). She’ll be writing it this summer, hopefully.

• Like 1

She is planning a course on “venomous, poisonous, toothy, Giant, and just plain weird†herps for next fall which will then be in rotation with the intro course (with the idea that they can be taken in any order). She’ll be writing it this summer, hopefully.

Sounds fun. I think a 5 am class may be a hard sell for us though now I have checked the time conversions.

• Like 1

My 10 year old is loving Outschool this year. She has taken a variety of short (anywhere from 3-8 weeks) classes this year. None of them have required her to type/chat to interact with the instructor or other students- it's all done through webcam and microphone, raising her hand and waiting to be called on just like a "real" classroom. She is chatty and a child who does not shy away from participating, so of all the classes we've tried the best one for her so far has been a Socratic discussion book club. 

• Like 2

My daughter has taken a couple of Athena’s classes and loved them. In her first class, her two finger, hunt and peck typing was enough to minimally keep up with the in-class chat function. She definitely preferred to raise her hand and use the mic whenever possible. For her weekly assignments, I took dictation. By her second class, she was able to keep up with the in-class chat much better and thereby found the social side more satisfying. For that class, I had her type her own assignments, but checked them briefly before posting for major typos/grammatical stuff.

Both classes had some optional assignments in Minecraft. My daughter has no interest in Minecraft, so I have no idea how those group assignments worked.

I’m still hoping to interest her in dmmetler’s daughter’s classes, but herps haven’t made it to the top of her list yet, no matter how much she thinks they’re cute at the zoo.

• Like 3