Menu

WTMA class schedules for 2018-19?

Here's what y'all posted last year about WTMA schedules for this school year. I'd assume something similar - or just a bit later (because of the snow chaos) - this year. So, maybe schedule posted mid-Feb & registration at the end of the month?

WTMA told me classes will be posted first week of February with registration opening on the 15th.

• Like 1

I am hoping their schedule is posted soon.... figuring out all the classes we need without conflicts is always difficult, and I don't like signing up for anything until I have schedules from every provider. :001_unsure:

ITA. I can’t book anything with WHA until I see schedules from CLRC and WTMA. So I wait...
  • Like 2

I emailed WTMA and asked. They gave me a special preview, but I promised not to share. (Not really. No such luck. No preview given.   ;)  :laugh: ) 

The response was that class information will be updated around Feb 15. (I was going to say early June, but didn't want to panic anyone.... ;) )

From the schedules released from various schools thus far, I can tell that our scheduling for next year is not going to be nearly as smooth as the previous two years have been. We've already had to make difficult choices. I hope more difficult choices about classes aren't on the horizon...

Best of luck to everyone!  :cheers2:

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 4

I am hoping their schedule is posted soon.... figuring out all the classes we need without conflicts is always difficult, and I don't like signing up for anything until I have schedules from every provider. :001_unsure:

I'm in the same boat here.  Our co-op registration opened up yesterday and I'm trying to figure out what to do and not get closed out of classes, especially high school bio.

I emailed WTMA and asked. They gave me a special preview, but I promised not to share. (Not really....

I totally read this the wrong way at first - thinking your follow-up line was, "No, really." I thought that WTMA folks would get inundated with others emailing and asking for the same privilege!

Sorry the schedules aren't meshing this year, WMA. We are in a holding pattern until local college posts the class schedule for the fall, which I think will go up in March sometime for April registration. Then, we can fit other classes around that, hopefully.

• Like 1

I totally read this the wrong way at first - thinking your follow-up line was, "No, really." I thought that WTMA folks would get inundated with others emailing and asking for the same privilege!

Sorry the schedules aren't meshing this year, WMA. We are in a holding pattern until local college posts the class schedule for the fall, which I think will go up in March sometime for April registration. Then, we can fit other classes around that, hopefully.

Oh no! Maybe I should edit my post to make it clearer! Oops!  :laugh:

Waiting is hard! I hope everything falls into place for you.

Oh no! Maybe I should edit my post to make it clearer! Oops! :laugh:

No, no. It was clear. I've just been missing things lately. The emojies at the end finally woke up my brain.

Thanks. I hope the alternative plans you are looking at end up being even better than the original plan.

• Like 1

Class offerings http://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/

Schedule https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rLBAOQluifT3iqQhe3LlLPIrp7gDu0JuxfMe7526-nA/mobilebasic

ETA

http://www.wtmacademy.com/tuition/

“2018-19 TUITION AND FEES

Tuition for individual courses is listed on our registration page (will be posted February 15).

Summer Courses: $224-$324

One-Semester Courses (Fall and Spring): $299-$324

Full-Year Courses: $599-$999

Fees:

Student Registration Fee – $60 per student

Non-refundable, Charged Once per Academic Year

This fee covers administrative costs related to student enrollment and retention.

Technology Fee – $40 per student

Refundable, Charged Once per Academic Year

This fee covers server costs and classroom access licensing through Blackboard.

The technology fee will be refunded in full if a student withdraws from all courses at the Academy.â€

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 6

$599-$999 + $100 registration.  It's official, homeschool online classes have become as expensive as the local private school, and more expensive than the local CC.  I think my kids days as homeschoolers are numbered, which is just depressing. :(

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 3

yes it's true, they are pricey. it was $599 for us history this year - but that's not including the annual $100 admin fee. so while i like to tell myself the class is only about $600 - it's really $700. times that by 3-5 online classes for 1 child (my ds is taking 5 in that ballpark and some more this year alone), and it becomes cost-prohibitive! it's not like homeschoolers as a rule are rich, plus many tend to have larger families. it is really becoming cost-prohibitive. i think those admin fees (wtma/wha) really do a number on pushing the fees out of the ballpark for many. i do like how PAH is just a set fee, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 3

I'm not seeing anything about an early registration discount :(

I'm not really complaining. It's pricey but competitive with the other choices out there and we have been happy with the classes. But, yes, it adds up.

I tell myself it's private school at home. It works for us but it is a big investment. Definitely have to be choosy versus just signing up for a slate of classes.

• Like 1

I tell myself it's private school at home. It works for us but it is a big investment. Definitely have to be choosy versus just signing up for a slate of classes.

i agree, time to get choosy. ;-) that's where the cheap online options like edhesive, thinkwell or free options like big history project, etc really come into play!

• Like 3

$599-$999 + $100 registration. It's official, homeschool online classes have become as expensive as the local private school, and more expensive than the local CC. I think my kids days as homeschoolers are numbered, which is just depressing. :(

$5000 is a lot and beyond our reach right now, for sure.

But academically excellent private school here runs $20-30K, plus trips, uniforms and multiple smaller expenses. If I could get WTMA quality high school here for $5K, I'd seriously consider going to work to pay for it.

• Like 4

But academically excellent private school here runs $20-30K, plus trips, uniforms and multiple smaller expenses. If I could get WTMA quality high school here for $5K, I'd seriously consider going to work to pay for it.

It's about $12K/year/student here for a classical private school (plus trips, uniforms, etc.).  I thought that was a lot!!

It's about $12K/year/student here for a classical private school (plus trips, uniforms, etc.).  I thought that was a lot!!

We have an a la carte option at the local private school.  It runs $1,200 a year per course.  We also have the family option at the local private schools, so we only pay for the first few children with more volunteer hours required.

We have noticed a significant change in the writing class with WTMA this year.  I'm really debating if it's worth $700 for my child.  I end up having to go through the lessons with DS and the feedback has been very limited, which is nothing like our experience with previous children.

It's definitely time to get choosy.

• Like 3

$599-$999 + $100 registration.  It's official, homeschool online classes have become as expensive as the local private school, and more expensive than the local CC.  I think my kids days as homeschoolers are numbered, which is just depressing. :(

It is hard. I don't feel like it is out of the realm of what it costs to provide quality classes with dedicated, experienced teachers and still make a profit. The reality is it just pushes it out of reach (or out of reason) for many families. I appreciate WTMA for what it provides. I appreciate the refund policy and the payment plan option. I really don't feel like WTMA is gouging people. I think the prices are competitive and it is just what it costs.

What makes it hardest for me is that it pushes us to dual enrollment. I really feel like my current high schooler is better served by rigorous online classes than by de at the local cc. I wish that it didn't cost more for a good online high school class than it does for a college class yielding credit. But I am pretty sure WTMA Precalculus with AOPS blows the local cc precalculus out of the water.(not saying this is true for all cc, but the one I am familiar with it is all online. Students sit in a computer lab and work through tutorials and take quizzes online and it resets again and again until they get 80%)

I have no complaints about WTMA or the pricing. Just stating the reality of what it costs. I'm nearing the end of my homeschool journey and half my kids are on to college. These prices would be pretty overwhelming to me if I was just getting started with my oldest.

I do wish my kids were the kind of motivated and independent learners that didn't need the structure of a class but they aren't. Of course, I can't blame my kids because I'm not the kind of homeschool teacher that has done a good job staying on track for high school. I wish I was. I admire the ones who do it on their own. But for my family homeschool high school means outsourcing.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 6

We have noticed a significant change in the writing class with WTMA this year.  I'm really debating if it's worth $700 for my child.  I end up having to go through the lessons with DS and the feedback has been very limited, which is nothing like our experience with previous children.

we do writing through writeathome. $159 8-week workshops, of which we do 3 (=~450), paid 3x throughout the year. seems much more do-able. i noticed this past workshop my ds got the same a coach with limited feedback. so fortunately with writeathome, we were able to request a new coach who gives oodles of feedback, so that is good stuff.  :thumbup:

(but this thread has spurred me to go back through and actually do a real accounting of how much this 10th grade year cost me, as i like to stick my head in the sand and ignore it. if i see a cold, hard number, i'm sure it will spur me to make changes. he's my eldest of many, and there are classes this year that i don't feel are worth it, so it is time to get choosy for next kids in line. it's not the fault of WTMA - as we're in this thread. it's a general overall pushing - WHA raised prices, WTMA has inched up prices since its inception, heck you've got cindy lange who jumped from wha to her own and i see her classes are >$1000 - it's an overall price increase, enough to make even those like me who tried to pay very little attention to it, take a step back and assess. i would never pay for private school, nor would i put my child in private school - that's anathema to all the reasons why i homeschool. i want them home with me. anyway that's my 2c)

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 2

yes it's true, they are pricey. it was $599 for us history this year - but that's not including the annual $100 admin fee. so while i like to tell myself the class is only about $600 - it's really $700. times that by 3-5 online classes for 1 child (my ds is taking 5 in that ballpark and some more this year alone), and it becomes cost-prohibitive! it's not like homeschoolers as a rule are rich, plus many tend to have larger families. it is really becoming cost-prohibitive. i think those admin fees (wtma/wha) really do a number on pushing the fees out of the ballpark for many. i do like how PAH is just a set fee, nothing more, nothing less.

The catch being that the technology at PAHS is nothing compared to WHA or WTMA. I would willingly and cheerfully pay a technology and/or admin fee for a more easily navigated, less clunky learning environment at PAHS. Obviously circumstances differ and not everyone, especially those with many children, is in a position to pay the extra fees. My point is that the fees aren't for nothing. There is an obvious return for the money.

• Like 2

The catch being that the technology at PAHS is nothing compared to WHA or WTMA. I would willingly and cheerfully pay a technology and/or admin fee for a more easily navigated, less clunky learning environment at PAHS. Obviously circumstances differ and not everyone, especially those with many children, is in a position to pay the extra fees. My point is that the fees aren't for nothing. There is an obvious return for the money.

Agree!

• Like 1

oh totally understand! esp as we had a meh PAH experience last year (wasted money) but enjoying our 3 PAH classes this year very much.

it's just more for those of us who pick and choose curriculum providers - then that $100 or whatever admin fee doesn't spread out amongst many classes, but is tacked onto a single class, making a $650 class $750, or $599 class $699. kwim?

fwiw - i am tallying our classes from last year and see that PAH AP Chem has raised prices to $819 for next year. So the price increases are really just across the board. Well worth it, for sure - but still going to price out many homeschoolers soon. ;)

Edited by mirabillis

oh totally understand! esp as we had a meh PAH experience last year (wasted money) but enjoying our 3 PAH classes this year very much.

it's just more for those of us who pick and choose curriculum providers - then that $100 or whatever admin fee doesn't spread out amongst many classes, but is tacked onto a single class, making a $650 class $750, or $599 class $600. kwim?

fwiw - i am tallying our classes from last year and see that PAH AP Chem has raised prices to $819 for next year. So the price increases are really just across the board. Well worth it, for sure - but still going to price out many homeschoolers soon. ;)

Given that I'm one of those who pick and choose curriculum providers (to the tune of 3-4+ different online schools each year), I understand exactly. I am still happy to pay the fees that allow for a better experience.  I consider the fees a worthwhile investment.

• Like 2

ok so i tallied from this past year, with my 10th grader outsourcing all... we used WHA, WTMA, HSA, CfL, Roy Speed, WAH, PAH (x3), Thinkwell...grand total just under $5K. Looking at next year's line up, I'm in the $2700 range. Whew! Much better. And that's including a pricey WHA AP class, plus student services fee - making it a costly single class. ;)

The private Catholic school 30 minutes away would cost us just over $13,000 for all five kids (total). Tuition is just under $3,000 per year for middle/high school for the first kid and goes down with each successive kid you have enrolled. There is a "technology fee" added per kid. That doesn't include uniform costs.

I already pick & choose classes carefully. I'm grateful for the opportunities out there. It makes it even more important to choose classes wisely because mistakes can be very costly! (WTMA's generous refund policy is wonderful.)

Back on topic, however... Did the WTMA music theory classes use to be high school? A couple of years ago, I seem to remember them being listed as middle school because I wished they were high school level. A positive change, in my opinion... I see Mrs. Quintero isn't teaching all the AoPS classes this year and that they've added an extra class period each week to those classes. I like how WTMA is willing to grow & change with the feedback it receives.

For those interested in Socratic Discussion:  I don't know anything about the classes, but I did see that Angelicum Academy has online Socratic Discussion classes for 3rd-8th grades.

• Like 3

ok so i tallied from this past year, with my 10th grader outsourcing all... we used WHA, WTMA, HSA, CfL, Roy Speed, WAH, PAH (x3), Thinkwell...grand total just under $5K. Looking at next year's line up, I'm in the $2700 range. Whew! Much better. And that's including a pricey WHA AP class, plus student services fee - making it a costly single class. ;)

I'm curious why you used so many online providers this past year.  Did your son have 10 classes, including 3 APs? I'm presuming they weren't all of the same caliber -- live classes, etc. 

(ETA: We outsource everything as well, but unless we used multiple providers for some classes, I can't imagine needing 10 providers. We aren't doing 10 credits a year, so there's that...)

Glad the costs are looking better for you this year!

I'm curious why you used so many online providers this past year.  Did your son have 10 classes, including 3 APs? I'm presuming they weren't all of the same caliber -- live classes, etc. 

(ETA: We outsource everything as well, but unless we used multiple providers for some classes, I can't imagine needing 10 providers. We aren't doing 10 credits a year, so there's that...)

Glad the costs are looking better for you this year!

no 7 credits total (3 parts to English - Comp + Lit for single Eng credit).

PAH - Macro  (1)       async

PAH - Micro  (.5)       async

PAH - Chem  (1)       async

WHA - Math  (1)        live

WTMA - Hist (1)        live

HSA - Span  (1)        live

TW - AP Gov (.5)      async

CfL - Brit Lit (Eng 1)  live - 1x/mo

Roy Speed - (Eng)    live (10wks) - added just b/c it sounded cool

WAH - Comp (Eng)  async

p.s sorry for hijacking the thread off-topic!!!

but we're still in it with WTMA for next year. just for my rising 9th grader only. :D

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 4

We have an a la carte option at the local private school.  It runs $1,200 a year per course.  We also have the family option at the local private schools, so we only pay for the first few children with more volunteer hours required.

Which writing classes have you noticed a change in? My oldest dd has done Rhetoric 1 & 2 and they have been fantastic for her. I'm thinking about classes for my youngest dd who is going into 9th next year so wondered which you meant.

it's just more for those of us who pick and choose curriculum providers - then that $100 or whatever admin fee doesn't spread out amongst many classes, but is tacked onto a single class, making a $650 class $750, or $599 class $699. kwim?

These prices are just about as much as taking a DE course at a university though. I liked the idea before of taking a class in high school that would give you credit for college but be cheaper and therefore a better deal.

Which writing classes have you noticed a change in? My oldest dd has done Rhetoric 1 & 2 and they have been fantastic for her. I'm thinking about classes for my youngest dd who is going into 9th next year so wondered which you meant.

I'm curious as well. It's my understanding the Rhetoric classes are being revamped. 

I'm curious as well. It's my understanding the Rhetoric classes are being revamped.

Really? Is there anywhere to read more info about this?

I see that they say teachers and times for Rhetoric, Latin, and a couple of others will be available by April 1. I hope they are able to finalize these well before April, as our other choices will need to be made soon.

• Like 1

Really? Is there anywhere to read more info about this?

I was told there would be changes when I emailed asking questions about the Rhetoric classes. I'm not sure if there's anything posted yet or not. I haven't seen anything.

ETA: I might have misunderstood, but it is my understanding that more info about the updated classes would be available by Feb. 15 when registration begins.

• Like 1

no 7 credits total (3 parts to English - Comp + Lit for single Eng credit).

PAH - Macro  (1)       async

PAH - Micro  (.5)       async

PAH - Chem  (1)       async

WHA - Math  (1)        live

WTMA - Hist (1)        live

HSA - Span  (1)        live

TW - AP Gov (.5)      async

CfL - Brit Lit (Eng 1)  live - 1x/mo

Roy Speed - (Eng)    live (10wks) - added just b/c it sounded cool

WAH - Comp (Eng)  async

p.s sorry for hijacking the thread off-topic!!!

but we're still in it with WTMA for next year. just for my rising 9th grader only. :D

Did I see you mention you want to take Statistics with Edhesive? If so, check with them. Some of their classes aren't open to individuals yet. I know Python and Java can be bought individually, but I tried buying Explorations in Coding ( a basic course) from them and when I emailed them, I was told it wasn't open to individuals. Exploration in Coding course gives you "get in touch" button instead of "enroll now." I am mentioning this because when I clicked on statistics (just out of curiosity), it gives me a "get in touch" button again. That doesn't mean they won't sell it to homeschoolers, but it's a red flag to me to go email them and make sure they plan on opening it up for everybody this coming fall. Otherwise you need to find alternatives. 

I hope I am not mistaking you for somebody else. 

• Like 1

These prices are just about as much as taking a DE course at a university though. I liked the idea before of taking a class in high school that would give you credit for college but be cheaper and therefore a better deal.

DD is taking math and science at the CC this semester for 12th grade, both are 5 credits.  Each is $670, with the lab on the science being an extra $54.  It will now cost more for my middle schooler to take an online class.

My problem this year with WTA is with an Expository Writing class. I debated Rhetoric for next year for the twins, as DD took Rhetoric I, but they will probably be at the CC instead. I'm not sure if we will continue with EW next year for DS.

I do very much appreciate the refund policy with WTMA, it is a huge positive and makes me more likely to choose from their class list.

I have not heard of Edhesive, but will be looking into it.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

How much was the PAH Chem last year? We're planning to take it this year, and I *thought* it had gone up, but couldn't remember just how much!

Back on topic, however... Did the WTMA music theory classes use to be high school? A couple of years ago, I seem to remember them being listed as middle school because I wished they were high school level. A positive change, in my opinion... I see Mrs. Quintero isn't teaching all the AoPS classes this year and that they've added an extra class period each week to those classes. I like how WTMA is willing to grow & change with the feedback it receives.

I think the first year it was just Beginner's Music Theory. Then they offered both beginner's and advanced. I have a kid in the advanced class and we like it very much.

• Like 1