Menu

What's with the ads?

Jaybee

Pros and cons of Capital One banking

I dunno. I like my account. Not sure what you are looking for. What are you comparing it to? its a bank. They bought ING Direct so I got swallowed up in that. I don't think we even have a physical branch here but that's never been a problem.

• Like 1

I dunno. I like my account. Not sure what you are looking for. What are you comparing it to? its a bank. They bought ING Direct so I got swallowed up in that. I don't think we even have a physical branch here but that's never been a problem.

We moved from a place where there is a large local bank, to a place where that bank does not exist. We are wanting something that is more convenient to use here, and are trying to decide whether to use a local one, or open an account with Capital One. Mainly we want to know if there are any reasons it would be better to go with a local one.

We've been with them a long time and have no complaints.  We do everything online, which is how I prefer to do things.  I've only had one instance where I had to visit a branch - closest one is about an hour away.  (We received a large insurance check from a car accident and it was too big to deposit online.  It's the only time that has ever happened.  Sadly, we don't get ginormous checks in the mail very often.)  They have great customer service.  I had my debit card hacked one time and they were great to work with.  They had closed the card before I even realized what had happened and refunded the stolen money within a day or two.  

• Like 2

We moved from a place where there is a large local bank, to a place where that bank does not exist. We are wanting something that is more convenient to use here, and are trying to decide whether to use a local one, or open an account with Capital One. Mainly we want to know if there are any reasons it would be better to go with a local one.

Ah. Our main banking is done at a local bank. We deposite money there and then transfer to and from Capital One for various things.

• Like 1

I originally only had a savings account from there, and my main banking was done through Chase. Chase started being really annoying and they closed the branch in town, while Capital One opened a branch up the street from where we have our po box, so we switched checking to them. The fees are less than Chase and they clear deposits faster. Customer service is great. I have yet to go in the branch, but I do use the atm there. They make it easy to open and have multiple savings with savings goals, which is nice to save up for future purchases or to earmark funds for certain uses. I have an emergency fund and a Christmas account at the moment. I will probably open a new one to save for our next used car soon. 

• Like 2

Same here. Old ING customer and no branch. I've only needed a branch one time. I had to mail the deposit in but it went smoothly.

We had Regions and CapOne but when Regions started doing shady stuff, we moved everything to CapOne and have never had an issue.

• Like 1

I’ve had a savings with ING direct (bought by Capital One) for about 20 years. No problems at all. I had a mortgage with them for 10 years as well. Same. I do still have a local Credit Union accounting by though.

• Like 1

I have accounts with Capital One and use their mobile check deposit service all the time. Easy-peasy. 

I only VERY recently bought a smartphone.  So I didn't think of that! 

Most of the checks I cash are gifts made out to my kids (in their names).  I wonder how that would work out.  My bank will cash them for me. 

I hate checks.  I wish they'd just die.  LOL

• Like 1

We are happy long-time customers. 

We transfer $$ between our savings account with Cap One & our local checking account. 

It takes a few days, but is not bothersome to us.

You may find that Ally (www.ally.com) provides similar services and has a higher rate of return on their savings accounts.

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

I’ve had a savings with ING direct (bought by Capital One) for about 20 years. No problems at all. I had a mortgage with them for 10 years as well. Same. I do still have a local Credit Union accounting by though.

Wait--so they do mortgages too? I looked for that, but didn't see it on the site as one of their offerings. Only car loans.

We only use it for savings.  The con is if you have to deposit a check or cash a check...you can't. 

They have mobile check deposit and it's great!

• Like 1

Overall, I’m very happy. We use a different regular bank for most day to day stuff, but like Capital One for easy transfers and better interest rates. We were with them way back when they were ING. The only issue I’ve ever had is pretty unique, so likely wouldn’t be a problem for most. When my son was applying for a student visa for grad school in the UK, we needed bank statements or a letter from the bank that met very strict requirements. Neither Capital One or our local bank could do it. We ended up opening a Chase account because they could actually produce two of the options.

Wait--so they do mortgages too? I looked for that, but didn't see it on the site as one of their offerings. Only car loans.

Hmmm. We got the mortgage as a part of ING Direct. Once the bank was acquired, it became a Capital One mortgage. I see on the website that they don’t do mortgages. I wonder why not.

• Like 1

We have had them for years but recently dumped them when they stopped a partnership with one of the ATM services. I'm not paying ATM fees. The closest fee-free ATM was a 25-minute drive.

We do still have the account because it is connected to our kids' accounts and it makes for easy transfers.

Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 1

I only VERY recently bought a smartphone.  So I didn't think of that! 

Most of the checks I cash are gifts made out to my kids (in their names).  I wonder how that would work out.  My bank will cash them for me. 

I hate checks.  I wish they'd just die.  LOL

I never had any problems using the mobile deposit for my kids' checks.

• Like 1