Menu

How to search for colleges

Roadrunner

that offer French Literature degrees, not French Language, but specifically French Literature. It’s for a friend whose child is fluent in French (no further instruction needed. Native ability) but would like to major in French Literature. They reside in the US and would like to attend the college here.

We are aware that some of the really tippy top schools offer such degrees, but since those schools have unrealistic acceptance rates, the family would like to cast a wider net.

If there's a school you know that offers the desired degree, tippy top or not, you can send an e-mail to a prof in the department asking the exact question you've asked here.  They often know their peers better than anyone else and most profs are quite willing to help out in our experience.  They might even add in their personal thoughts about various programs (stronger in this than that, etc).

• Like 4

I would investigate large universities -- small schools will have smaller faculty sizes and not be able to offer as much literature after staffing the language instruction curriculum.

I'd also consider Canada since French is one of their official languages. International tuition in Canada is generally more affordable than out of state in the US.

• Like 3

I would investigate large universities -- small schools will have smaller faculty sizes and not be able to offer as much literature after staffing the language instruction curriculum.

I'd also consider Canada since French is one of their official languages. International tuition in Canada is generally more affordable than out of state in the US.

Depending on the university, international fees may be waived:

http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/exemption/frenchcourses

https://www.uottawa.ca/university-fees/differential-tuition-fee-exemption

(My dd considered them but the cold ultimately persuaded her otherwise.  ;) )

• Like 1

I used to be acquainted with a woman who was finishing a PhD in French Literature at Howard University in DC. She told me they had the largest collection of Caribbean French Literature in the US. At the time it was not catalogued very well which made research difficult.

We used to attend the same church and we talked about this just before I left, so I know how ago this was--21 years. Perhaps, the organization has improved.

• Like 1

Bryn Mawr and Haverford would be easier to get into than some others. They offer a literature track.

I also think for French lit, if this kid doesn’t get into the handful of super selective schools/LACs that offer a real literature track, she’s better off going to a European uni.

My own DS is not fluent, but he would have taken all the 300 and 400 classes offered by my local 4 yr public by middle of high school. So I have no idea what he does if he wants to study French lit.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

Smith College had a great French Lit degree!  And it has an excellent year abroad study program in Paris and in Geneva. Unlike some schools where students just go to Paris, for example, and take classes taught by American professors in Paris, Smith students become fully matriculated students at the Sorbonne or at the University of Geneva for a full year. They are no different than any other student at the Sorbonne or at the University of Geneva, except that there is a Smith professor locally who handles any administrative/residential/etc issues.

I'm not sure I'd agree that larger universities would be more likely to have strong French Lit programs, but I haven't looked recently. I'd continue to look at both SLACs & larger universities and at the specific courses each offered.

Please post back here with your findings, if you have time!

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 2

Smith College had a great French Lit degree! And it has an excellent year abroad study program in Paris and in Geneva. Unlike some schools where students just go to Paris, for example, and take classes taught by American professors in Paris, Smith students become fully matriculated students at the Sorbonne or at the University of Geneva for a full year. They are no different than any other student at the Sorbonne or at the University of Geneva,

!

That sounds wonderful. My dd's program does something similar with Dauphine for Econ. She is super excited about it.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...