Menu

What is/was breakfast this morning?

creekland

This thread is making my stomach growl. I had coffee with unsweetened almond milk and steel cut oats with maple syrup, blueberries, and almond milk. It's pretty typical but sometimes I save time with old-fashioned oats in the microwave. 

dd16: smoothie with frozen mango, spinach, oats, whatever else is on hand. Hot tea with honey.

dd18: peanut butter toast I think. Milk

• Like 2

I eat one of these for breakfast pretty much every day: http://www.emilybites.com/2011/10/sausage-egg-cheese-hash-brown-cups.html

I'm getting really bored with them after 6 months of these 6+ days a week, but:

• They're easily made up ahead of time
  • They're within my calorie/carb limits
  • They're microwave and go

I keep meaning to find something else to eat for breakfasts, but I keep coming back to these. I pair it with 1/2 a bottle of Crystal Light Wild Strawberry Energy water.

• Like 1

Me: coffee with almond milk and cocoa powder. Very typical. There isn’t much that settles well for me first thing in the morning. If I do eat it is usually a half of a banana and a TBS of nut butter or Greek yogurt with berries.

All 4 kids had cinnamon rolls and berries for breakfast. This is NOT typical. It’s oldest’s bday. They typically have oatmeal, eggs, yogurt parfaits, English muffins, etc. (not all at the same time😉).

Yesterday, while helping put away groceries, dd #3 dropped an egg carton and cracked seven eggs.  I took this recipe:

https://bellyfull.net/2013/09/18/make-ahead-breakfast-enchiladas/

And modified it by using 2 C leftover ham, cubed & 3 leftover baked potatoes, grated.  I used 5 of the cracked eggs & regular (lactose free) milk.  I even had some flour tortillas that had been left open and were a little stale on the ends. Because my tortillas were a little stale, I warmed them to roll around the filling and when I poured in the egg business, I made sure the hard ends were under the egg/ milk mixture to soften up.  I baked it this morning.  2 of the 3 kids liked it enough to have seconds.  Without cheese, it needs more seasoning (like salsa!)  The remainder I wrapped individually & put in the freezer for the kid whose college classes start next week.

I had 1/3 of an enchilada, a mug of herbal tea & a tangerine.  For breakfast I usually have just the tea & fruit, so for lunch I'll have a small salad.  Dh has a protein shake every morning after his work out.  The kids make their own.

My kids are older so they are generally in charge of their own breakfasts.  They scramble eggs, make one-eyed Jills, warm up leftovers from dinner, or make PB toast.  Very rarely, we have cold cereal in the house.  Sometimes when eggs are cheap (ish) I make 6-8 egg patties, cook a couple lbs of turkey breakfast sausage or bacon & have all the makings in the refrigerator for breakfast paninis.   

I scrambled the last 2 cracked eggs for tonight's veggie fried rice, just in case anyone was wondering.

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ
  • Like 1

Today was two eggs fried, and some sautéed onions and peppers. I buy the frozen bag of precut onion/pepper blend, so it's super easy to dump some of it in the skillet and then when almost done move it to the side of the pan and fry the eggs next to it. Plus coffee with half and half and whipped cream (from a can) on top. The coffee is first, then breakfast. 

Other times breakfast is just the coffee (often) or a premier protein shake. Once this week I had a homemade pancake and a sausage link, but that's unusual. I try to make it a protein plus a veggie or fruit. Or skip it all together. 

Today was a little bit of Lentil Risotto and a banana.  Typical?  Not exactly, I always end up with a little bit of my son's lunch for breakfast but he takes something different everyday.  I heat up a bowl full for him every morning to put in his thermos that he takes to school/work with him but it's hard to judge just how much I need (and he wants it packed as full as possible because he's always hungry) so I end up heating a little extra to make sure I have enough and then I just eat the extra heated amount for breakfast.  

DS and I eat the same breakfast M-F, but it differs from week to week (I make a week's worth every Sunday).

This week, it was biscuits, bacon and scrambled eggs.  I toasted my biscuit, put butter and cheese on it and put it back in the toaster oven, then made a sandwich with my eggs & bacon.  I think DS just ate each thing separately.  In his opinion, toasting something is too time-consuming.  I'm lucky he's OK with microwaving.  ;)

For next week I'll make sausage/egg/cheese sandwiches with the English muffins I bought last week but no one has eaten yet.

Oh, I also had black coffee.  Lots and lots of coffee, before, during and after.  Every day.

On weekends, he eats cereal and I eat a bagel.

I had an omelet with two eggs, cheese, mushrooms, and bacon bits, plus coffee with cream and stevia. That’s pretty much what I eat every day. I vary the cheese and other stuff that goes into the omelet, but mushrooms are almost always included.

The kids vary — I make eggs or oatmeal a lot, but they’ll make toast or English muffins on their own. Or peanut butter sandwiches.

Breakfast will be a handful of Brazil nuts. Typical for a not working day. Work days I add a couple of eggs or some fish or ham or something protein. Brazil nuts because they are very high in selenium and while not technically deficient, my body does a very poor job of converting thyroid hormone which needs selenium.

That's interesting with the Brazil nuts.  I keep some on my counter and often have 3 or 4 in the morning simply because I like them and nuts, in general, are healthy.  Now I know why those nuts are healthy if anyone asks.  I've been too lazy to google.  I just recall walnuts, almonds, and Brazil nuts being among the healthier choices.  I can't recall if cashews are there too or not.  I also have those on my counter for snacking.

This thread is making my stomach growl.

Me too.  I'm wondering if the Hive is more varied for breakfast than we tend to be for supper/dinner as I read through this thread!  So much sounds interesting to try.  I feel like our breakfast lives are pretty boring.

My kids are older so they are generally in charge of their own breakfasts.  They scramble eggs, make one-eyed Jills

For those of us too lazy to google, what's a one-eyed Jill?  It sounds like something with a fried or poached egg, but I've no clue what.

chicken biscuit (biscuit with a chicken patty on it).... I live in the South :)

Chick Fil A introduced those almost everywhere now.  They're yummy!  

So many of the south's biscuit options are scrumptious - that and their grits with red-eye gravy.  For whatever reason, those haven't made it into the "common" north yet.  I think they would do well if they did, but the best we get for biscuits (most places) are fast food varieties (and some of those are good TBH - others not so much).  It's rare to see anything "grits" other than the plain or buttered version.

• Like 1

A one-eyed Jill is the cousin to a one-eyed Jack  :laugh:

For a one-eyed Jack you take a piece of bread and cut a round or square hole in it, leaving a bread frame.  We butter the bread or brush with olive oil.  The bread goes into a skillet warmed to med-high.  You break an egg into the hole & once it is set enough you flip the whole business overand cook until the bread  is toasted & the egg is set to your liking.  Salt & pepper to taste. Don't forget to toast the cut out bread at the same time.

One-eyed Jill is the same thing except you beat the egg in a bowl before pouring into the toast frame.  Your skillet needs to be warm enough to start cooking the egg right away.  The kids use a spoon to scooch the egg around like scrambled eggs while keeping a solid bottom.  Flip, toast & serve.

Amber in SJ

• Like 2

For a one-eyed Jack you take a piece of bread and cut a round or square hole in it, leaving a bread frame.  We butter the bread or brush with olive oil.  The bread goes into a skillet warmed to med-high.  You break an egg into the hole & once it is set enough you flip the whole business overand cook until the bread  is toasted & the egg is set to your liking.  Salt & pepper to taste. Don't forget to toast the cut out bread at the same time.

One-eyed Jill is the same thing except you beat the egg in a bowl before pouring into the toast frame.  Your skillet needs to be warm enough to start cooking the egg right away.  The kids use a spoon to scooch the egg around like scrambled eggs while keeping a solid bottom.  Flip, toast & serve.

Amber in SJ

Interesting!  I've never heard of that (or anything similar) at all.  Do you know the origin?  (region?  ethnicity? family tradition? something else?)

Check another box of "Learn Something New Every Day" up to the Hive!

• Like 1

So many good sounding breakfasts. I would love to have the energy for any of those but I have a "long re-entry period" in the morning, still tired, back is stiff, dog needs to go out right away, cat needs to be fed. All I can manage is cutting a slice of bread off and boil an egg. ;)

Amber in SJ

My mother called that a ranch egg. 

• Like 1

Interesting! I've never heard of that (or anything similar) at all. Do you know the origin? (region? ethnicity? family tradition? something else?)

Check another box of "Learn Something New Every Day" up to the Hive!

Me too. We have the one eyed jacks here all the time. But we called them a hole in one. But I've never heard of the scramble diversion. Interesting. My kids might like that better. My husband calls the one eyed jacks a toad in the hole.

• Like 3

DH let me sleep in and woke up early with DD5. He made cereal and they watched cartoons and played legos.

Later we had brunch and he made us ham & cheese omelette.

DH doesn't eat breakfast on work days. Just when he is home.

Me sometime I have breakfast sometimes no. Just whats available.

<snip>

<snip>

My husband makes this every so often.  I don't remember what, if anything, he calls it.  But he's been eating them since he was a kid.

A real Toad in the Hole (link to BBC Food) involves sausage, so it's not the same thing.  (That has nothing to do with this particular post, but a subsequent one.)   But I did see recipes for the egg-in-toast that called it that so maybe that's the Americanized version.  :-)

• Like 2

Baked oatmeal. The same thing I have 6 days a week.

I've tweaked a recipe to make it pretty healthy. Oats, flaxseed meal, applesauce, blueberries, an apple, milk, 2 eggs, cinnamon, baking powder, salt. And I recently cut the brown sugar in half to just 2 Tbs for 6 servings. Good stuff.

3/4 of those of us eating at home this morning had boiled eggs. 2/4 of us ate frozen smoothie popsicles with it- made with yesterday's leftover smoothie- yogurt, fruit, oatmeal,  2/4 of us had coffee, 1/4 of us had a glass of milk with it. All normal rotation stuff here. 

But 1/4 of us had leftover fried ham and brussel sprouts. not typical, lol. But she missed dinner last night while at a church event, and wanted it first thing this morning. 

I don’t like breakfast. I eat dinner late and have tea when I wake up, so those two combined mean I don’t get hungry until noon or later. I do have a smoothie I make sometimes when I want to put off real food for longer. I mix oat flour, almond meal, banana, yogurt, milk, and cinnamon in the vitamix. I can coast until 2pm on that.

• Like 1

I made oatmeal with a half-cup of oats, mashed a banana into it, and stirred in 2 Tbsp. PB2 powder. It's 5 points using the WW Points+ calculator.

Other days I will have:

• 3/4 cup homemade yogurt with fruit
  • a hard-boiled egg and a Babybel cheese
  • a fried egg on a piece of wheat toast with Vegemite
  • 1/2 cup of Kodiak Cakes pancake mix (makes 3 little pancakes) which I usually eat with a banana for sweetness instead of syrup

It's nothing fancy, just filling and low-cal. I don't care for veggies in the morning.

2 eggs (one w/o yolk) scrambled with yellow peppers and fat free cheese

100 calorie rounds 

the above made into a sandwich.  

Coffee 

Coffee.....ALWAYS!

The other is something I used to eat more regularly but then stopped 

I am on WW now, so that breakfast fits the WW plan pretty well.

I tried low carb, high fat and gained weight and felt horrible, so back to a more carb balanced approach

chicken biscuit (biscuit with a chicken patty on it).... I live in the South :)

When we moved north 25 years ago we really missed chicken biscuits for breakfast. For years our friends thought that was the weirdest breakfast combo in the world. Then Chick-fil-A arrived here and they started to understand. 

But I really wish we had more places to get a good chicken biscuit around here!!!

• Like 1

Salt & pepper cashews with a half dozen BIG Cheese-its.  I can't usually eat sweet things for breakfast, and I don't like to go through the bother of cooking something that requires dishes and pans.  I wish somebody would make a savory granola bar!  Think cheddar and seeds or nuts!

• Like 1

For me it was a meatball sub, and some gatorade. 

The meatball sub thing has been a thing(not daily, but a thing nonetheless) for the past 2 weeks, when I realized how easy it is to make, fry, and freeze meatballs to warm later for making meatball subs  :laugh:

The gatorade is totally unusual for us to even have at home. DH bought it last night when he was at the gym, and I've been dehydrated so I went for it. 

My usual is eggs and cheese wrapped in a tortilla. Sometimes with toast. Someone mentioned sauteed veggies with eggs, I had forgotten about that idea, and I'll have to start frying those with my eggs. I've been at a loss for healthy, palatable(for me), energy providing breakfast ideas. 

The kids usually have oatmeal or coco-wheats, but lately they've been asking for cheese-toast on sub bread (or as the little one says, "I want pizza") because I'm toasting sub bread with cheese for, you guessed it, meatball subs  :laugh:

• Like 1

Usually it’s eggs and veggies, maybe fruit. Sometimes a tofu scramble. In the past two weeks, it was Kalua Pig and cabbage, veggies, fruit and English muffins. I’m in the middle of a 60-hour fast now, so today it was black coffee.

Salt & pepper cashews with a half dozen BIG Cheese-its.  I can't usually eat sweet things for breakfast, and I don't like to go through the bother of cooking something that requires dishes and pans.  I wish somebody would make a savory granola bar!  Think cheddar and seeds or nuts!

We are split down the middle in our family with not eating sweet things for breakfast.  I don't along with 2 kids; and dh & other 2 kids can't get enough of sweets in the morning.  If Dh is having pancakes he will maple syrup the entire plate including eggs, sausage & hash browns. 

Kashi makes a savory bar.  The one I tried was quinoa with red peppers & corn.  It was ...... weird.  Not horrible, just weird.  There is another one flavored with white beans & rosemary.

Amber in SJ

We are split down the middle in our family with not eating sweet things for breakfast.  I don't along with 2 kids; and dh & other 2 kids can't get enough of sweets in the morning.  If Dh is having pancakes he will maple syrup the entire plate including eggs, sausage & hash browns. 

Kashi makes a savory bar.  The one I tried was quinoa with red peppers & corn.  It was ...... weird.  Not horrible, just weird.  There is another one flavored with white beans & rosemary.

Amber in SJ

Kind makes a savory one too I think...barbecue or hickory or something. 

We call it “egg in a hole.†Creative, huh? 😂

We call it that too!  

First time I ever had it was when I went to sleep away camp at seven.  As I was one of the younger campers, we were in our own cabin that had a kitchen and a rather grandmotherly like counselor.  She cooked that for us all the time.   I loved them and didn't have it again until I was an adult and made it myself. :)

I made oatmeal with a half-cup of oats, mashed a banana into it, and stirred in 2 Tbsp. PB2 powder. It's 5 points using the WW Points+ calculator.

Other days I will have:

• 3/4 cup homemade yogurt with fruit
  • a hard-boiled egg and a Babybel cheese
  • a fried egg on a piece of wheat toast with Vegemite
  • 1/2 cup of Kodiak Cakes pancake mix (makes 3 little pancakes) which I usually eat with a banana for sweetness instead of syrup
It's nothing fancy, just filling and low-cal. I don't care for veggies in the morning.

I had the smoothie version of your breakfast.

1/4 cup oat flour

1/4 cup almond flour

Cinnamon

Yogurt

Milk

1 banana

I keep the powdered stuff premixed so I can just add the banana, fridge stuff, and a scoop of my “smoothie mix.â€