Menu

iD Tech Camps?

RootAnn

My older boy went to the day camp and it won’t be worth paying for. He was filling up a vacancy (free spot) but he did find it boring despite enjoying the social aspects and having an okay instructor. For the price of their camps, we could get an equivalent class at the community colleges’ summer programs for kids or in the case of robotics our YMCA has summer day camps at a cheaper rate.

• Like 1

The material would be brand new for my kids, and we don't have anything like this within driving distance for day camps. Even in the Big City (1 1/2 hrs away), there aren't overnight camps like this.

It is very pricey (twice our local college classes for a semester of college credit), so thanks for the input.

My son took 2 classes last year, and actually loved them. He did day camp, and every night he came home talking about programming. I am not sure if it was worth it in terms of material learned, but it surely was worth it for igniting the passion. I don't know if it depends on the kid, the instructors or both.

• Like 1

I don't know if it depends on the kid, the instructors or both.

One problem is that many of the instructors are hired just for the summer or spring camps so you really don’t know who you might get. The instructor my kid had has worked for ID Tech for a few camps but isn’t returning because he is graduating, so basically it was an undergrad summer job for him. It makes it hard to base choosing a camp on past reviews since it’s not the same instructors and people in charge on site.

That is also a problem with CTY or Duke summer camps, the instructors aren’t a constant so it’s hard to decide based on past years experience by other people.

• Like 1

Mind, I’ve neither an accelerated nor STEM kid. He did day camp (but away from home—stayed with grandparents who drove him to campus everyday). It was okay. Nothing earth shattering. My kid’s coding career is such that he does it and well in a group setting and then never (ever) touches it at home. We wanted him to have some grandparent time but without sitting around all day so for that purpose it worked ;)

If you have the $$ setting fire to your pocket, there’s worse things I suppose.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2