Menu

What's with the ads?

Slache

2nd Grade Planning Thread For 2018/2019

The final count:

Bible: Bible Study Guide For All Ages in the morning, Training Hearts, Teaching Minds in the evenings, Heroes For Young Readers in the book basket.

Language Arts: Reading Lessons Through Literature, IEW Bible Heroes, Super Grammar.

Math: Beast Academy with Ray's Intellectual Arithmetic.

Foreign Language: Elementary Greek, Japanese From Zero.

Fine Arts: Artistic Pursuits, Art of The Day app, Singing Made Easy, piano.

Content Subjects: Interest led.

Considering

Language Arts: Barton and either Build Your Own Library or Torchlight plus narrating across the curriculum

Math: Singapore and Beast Academy

History: Middle Ages Year 2 with either Torchlight or Build Your Own Library

Science: Mr Q Earth Science

PE: Swimming and martial arts

Considering adding piano and voice with not sure what maybe Hoffman for piano? 

On 1/25/2018 at 5:24 PM, Syllieann said:

My second grader will be doing:

CLE math 3, fan math speed math, and fan math problem solving

Language arts: moving beyond the page 7-9 and rod and staff spelling 3

Mystery Science

Story of civilization-ancients

Story of the Bible-old Testament

Other fun stuff: Home Art Studio 2, we choose virtues, classics for kids, CCM alpha

I’ve done it with two kids and had no problem with using it sans the parent course.

I’m still pretty much planning on this, but I’m vascilating between Mystery Science and BFSU.  I’ve also decided to do Virtues in practice https://www.nashvilledominican.org/apostolate/evangelization-and-catechesis/virtues-in-practice/ instead of we choose virtues.  We’ve been doing we choose virtues for several years;  it’s time for something fresh.

We are continuing with almost everything from first.  He is a pretty easy going kiddo and likes everything!

Math: Singapore 2B/3A, Beast Academy 2

Writing: WWE 2

Grammar: FLL 2

Spelling: AAS 3

History: Tapestry of Grace Year 1 Ancients

Science: Life Science Year probably following WTM recommendations

Latin: Song School Latin 2

Art: ??  I would like big brother who is in 5th to do an online drawing class but I'm not sure that will work for my 2nd grader.  I might pull Artistic Pursuits off the shelf.  I might purchase something online or video based for him.

Music: Piano lessons

Morning Time as a family but I haven't planned it yet. 

Rough idea...

Geography: BYL 0 + extras. This will be a group subject with both Level 0 and Level 7 used (depending on the kid)

History: SOTW 3 Early Modern (group subject)

Science: Mr. Q (group subject) + Mystery Science

Math: MM 2

Language Arts:

Canadian Handwriting B

First Language Lessons 2

Writing With Ease 2

All About Spelling 2

French: L'Art de Dire?

I'm also considering something to reinforce outdoor safety. A unit study, maybe? The bears are out now and she keeps thinking her first reaction should be to run.

Morning Time/Group Subjects with sisters: 

Bible (reading, memorization)

VP History of Art

SQUILT (not completely sure about this one yet)

Poetry Memorization

Hymn Study

Beautiful Feet Around the World with Picture Books

SOTW 2

Mystery Science

Individual Studies:

CLE Math 2 + Xtra Math

FLL 2

CLE I Can Write Cursive

Spelling You See C

CLE Reading 2

On 1/24/2018 at 4:22 PM, SGPS said:

Miquon, Math Mammoth 

MAYBE Rod and Staff English, maybe Igniting Your Writing, Spelling Workout, Writing With Ease, copywork and studied dictation

Apologia Elementary Series, Zoology Science in the Beginning

Sonlight D, American history; Draw the USA; States and Capitals

Ukulele Piano with tutor

Spanish ... but I don’t know with what, yet. Currently working through Getting Started with Spanish. Big Book of Lively Latin Spanish & Greek

Ugh, I keep flopping between Memoria Press and Mater Amabilis  (a Catholic C. Mason program), so I have no idea if the following is the same as what I posted before - it very well could not be!

Lit and Writing: MP Literature mostly 2nd grade, but also Farmer Boy from 3rd

Grammar: FLL 2

Spelling: Spelling Workout C with Spalding phonogram reinforcement (I love the Spalding Method, but I can't keep up with it week to week)

Handwriting: Pentime 2 and 3 - learning cursive 

Math: Math Mammoth Grade 3

History: reading and narrations from Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans (MP) and listening to This Country of Ours (MA)

Science: Rod and Staff's Patterns of Nature (MP) and Nature Study  (MA/CM)

Religion: The Life of Our Lord by Hunt, Faith and Life book 2, saints...? (MA)

Latin: continuing Prima Latina (MP)

Fine arts: continuing piano, a vague plan of composer, artist, and poet studies (MA/CM)

And gymnastics. And hiking and biking.

My 6yo will be starting grade 2 next Sept. too. I'm not much of a planner. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants more than I should. Here are my very rough plans:

Bible: daily family Bible reading and memorization practice. This WILL happen (assuming the Lord tarries and the children are in my care).

Reading: Alphaphonics with Progressive Phonics and McGuffey Primer. This, writing and math are my primary focus, the 3R's. I never thought that I would say that but that's what I've come to with my young ones.

Writing: WWE 1 or 2 depending on his ability. I'm not sure how to place him yet. I may ditch it for another year if he's keen to do his own free writing. He's pretty excited about writing songs at the moment and I suspect that once he can spell a little better he'll start writing stories on his own.

Spelling: SWR modified to my liking. I'm considering dictation day by day instead though. I think that this fellow would do better with a more integrated approach to spelling for now.

Penmanship: I'll wing it.

Math: MEP Y1, second half & CSMP for enrichment and fun.

Science: library books and maybe a nature notebook (see below)

History: library books and A Child's History of the World

Music: singing during our family devotions. His older siblings are working on singing the different voices of the hymns so I think that he'll pick some of that up.

All these plans might be completely blown out of the water though. We're thinking of taking the family to Bangladesh for several month of next year! If that's the case then we'll probably add a crash course in Bengali and drop a whole lot of these plans.

On a different note, I've been thinking about the standard nature notebook idea and I've been thinking of modifying it a little to be a journal of beauty. I'd imagine that most entries would be nature but it could then include poems or paintings or anything that the owner of journal ran across that was beautiful. What do you think? Would I lose too much science if I messed with the standard formula or would it be a lovely variation?

• Like 1

Here's what I know for sure:

Math - Continue with Singapore

History - Story of the World Vol. 2

Grammar - FLL 2

Science - Interest led, lots of books, experiments here and there

Handwriting - HWT Printing Power, very slowly since he resists writing for school.

Music - Learning the recorder with The Progressive Recorder Method for Young Beginners

Other Stuff - Composer studies, Artist studies, possibly Drawing with Children, baseball and soccer

Everything Else?

Bible - I may continue on with Telling God's Story Vol. 2, or I may try a family Bible study or just read from the Bible...

Reading - I'm stuck on what to do next. We're finishing OPGTR, but I don't know what to do next. Should I just have him read a lot, or move on to something like Wise Owl Polysyllables? We'll probably work through Sonlight & Mensa Reading lists.

Spelling - Add in Spelling or wait? We both hated Spelling Workout and just quit doing spelling all together for now. 

On 4/19/2018 at 11:01 PM, rose said:

On a different note, I've been thinking about the standard nature notebook idea and I've been thinking of modifying it a little to be a journal of beauty. I'd imagine that most entries would be nature but it could then include poems or paintings or anything that the owner of journal ran across that was beautiful. What do you think? Would I lose too much science if I messed with the standard formula or would it be a lovely variation?

It seems like something that would depend on the kid. It's one of those things that sounds oh-so-lovely, but it is definitely something my dd in 2nd grade was not into. She didn't like to draw or write much, and would prefer to sit on the couch to read over most other activities. Her brother will be in K next year, and he is very outdoorsy and very much interested in birds, so I will try the whole nature journal thing again with both of them at that point. I never got the idea that a nature journal was ALL about science anyway -- it seems they also incorporate beauty and wonder.

I have NO idea what we are going to do bc my "baby" is not reading yet.  May be I should stop calling him "baby", but he is my last baby!!!!

On 4/19/2018 at 10:01 PM, rose said:

Would you lose some science? Probably, yes. But, you'd gain other things (as you already know). So...whether that's good or bad will depend on your family. I can say that I've been toying with doing something similar, though I've been thinking of it as notebooks of joy. So I'm casting my vote for "a lovely variation." 

• Like 1

Tapestry of Grace (Year 2)

WWE3 and FLL3

Spelling Workout C and D

Continue with cursive practice

Right Start D

Science - Probably Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy (Although I wasn't crazy about Elemental Science Biology this year, it got done and DS learned a lot)

Piano

Composer and Artist studies

Home Art Studio Grade 2

Spanish ?? I need something to followup after completing Song School Spanish this year

Thinking of doing Chess club

Looking into some team sports

18 hours ago, mommysanders said:

Tapestry of Grace (Year 2)

WWE3 and FLL3

Spelling Workout C and D

Continue with cursive practice

Right Start D

Science - Probably Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy (Although I wasn't crazy about Elemental Science Biology this year, it got done and DS learned a lot)

Piano

Composer and Artist studies

Home Art Studio Grade 2

Spanish ?? I need something to followup after completing Song School Spanish this year

Thinking of doing Chess club

Looking into some team sports

Getting Started With Spanish and The Fun Spanish are both good options.

• Thanks 1

I have been mulling this over since Christmas. I kind of want to turn our homeschool on its head next year, so I am not sure. When I go to our Homeschool Conference in June I hope to have a better idea. 

So far...

All About Reading 3 and Explode the Code 5 and up, moving at his pace <---- These are working! 

All About Spelling 2 or Spelling you See, I am not sure about this one. AAS doesn't seem to be clicking. 

Write Source Grade 2 with Skillsbook and Language Workbook / Paragraph Writing from Evan Moore

Grammaropolis??? 

Math??? I am not sure, we finished MM1 and he hated it so we are going to mix this up hopefully. We will do the Subtraction Facts that stick and Building Math Fluency from Evan Moore

Daily Science and Mystery Science, maybe something else? It gets done, fast and easy but not ideal.

History, I am totally failing at doing SOTW right now. I NEED to get it going. I may change this up to Veritas Press. 

Stack the States / Evan Moore Geography, they have a ton of stuff and I will pick something or go in another direction.

I love the suggestion of the Daily Art App, we might add this in. I think I am going to get some more apps, so I can work with one kid and switch the other to an app. I am going to start Touch Type Read and Spell in June. I might add Spanish, don't ask me how yet. Maybe music and/or art???

Very much still working on it, but here is my start.  I' trying not to overload,  but I'm hoping she gets better with independent work!!!  This kid is very quick to learn but very short attention span.

Math

Saxon 2 (2nd half) and MM2, she is also doing Math Seeds.  If I need more, I may get MiF or BA.

Language Arts

AAR 3 and 4

Soaring with Spelling 

McRuffy handwriting

I think I'll keep writing interest based and mama made, no formal grammar but maybe another language wirkbook?  Still looking.

History

My family focus is 20th Century, so thinking American Girl books for this one, she should be able to read these aloud to me I think.  

Science

No idea yet.  I was thinking chemistry and physics for our family focus this year, but not sure how much z 2nd grader can do.  Possibly Noeo.  Or scrap the family thing and have her just read from my Usborne and Nat Geo collection.

Art

I think we will also do a family art study,  this kiddo lover art, so it should be fun.

Looks like I've got a lot kept yo plan!  

History and science are done as a family, but at different levels if possible.  This one is quite a bit younger, the next up are 5h grade, so not sure if science will work with this model this next year.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:33 AM, Chelli said:

For my son next year:

Math: Math in Focus 2

Phonics: LOE Foundations C and D (he started reading this year so we've got to finish!) This will be our only language arts since it includes spelling and some gramamar and literature in Level D.

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Everything Else (science, history, geography, CM stuff): A Gentle Feast Red Year mixed with some Wildwood Curriculum

Extras: Our weekly co-op and our Power Hour time each morning, plus he'll play baseball in the spring

What is your Power Hour?

On 1/25/2018 at 12:54 PM, wendyroo said:
DS6 will be in second next year.

This is our plan:

Math Mammoth 5

Beast Academy 3

Singapore Word Problems

Balance Benders and then Hands on Equations

Xtramath

Manuscript copywork (I'm experimenting with both of my older boys doing Spanish copywork)

Introduction to cursive letter formation

Typing.com

Wise Owl Polysyllables

The Sentence Family

Basher punctuation + worksheets for reinforcement

Assigned literature, eventually with one sentence written narrations

WWE 2

AAS 3

Mr. Q Physical Science

Steve Spangler science kits

SOTW 3 with additional American History

Weekly Immersion Spanish class

Rosetta Stone

Duolingo

Code Monkey

Microbit Programming

Anki Memorization:

Geography, poems, quotes, speeches, Spanish vocab, spelling and grammar rules, musical notation, etc.

Hoffman Academy Piano

Art class, Speech Therapy, Gym, Swimming

Wendy

Great plan! Could you share about MicroBit Programming?

5 hours ago, arliemaria said:

http://microbit.org/code/

https://www.amazon.com/BBC-micro-micro-controller-detection-Bluetooth/dp/B01G8WUGWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1526338409&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=microbit

I am interested to hear how Wendy uses it too but I have played around with it and it is neat and younger kid friendly ?

5 hours ago, arliemaria said:

Both of my boys have had a lot of fun with ours.  My first grader codes it via the drag and drop blocks.  My third grader uses python.  We have had it for a year and we are still discovering new things it can do.  http://microbit.org/

Wendy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nixpix5 said:

http://microbit.org/code/

https://www.amazon.com/BBC-micro-micro-controller-detection-Bluetooth/dp/B01G8WUGWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1526338409&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=microbit

I am interested to hear how Wendy uses it too but I have played around with it and it is neat and younger kid friendly ?

I don't really have lesson plans or anything.  Mostly I let the boys play with it, and then casually throw out optional (often open-ended) challenge ideas:  "I wonder if you could use it to play rock, paper, scissors.",  "I bet you could teach it Morse Code.", "If you were to tell it how many coins you had, could you program it to tell you how much they are worth?"

Each challenge might keep the boys going for an hour or a month - I never know.

Wendy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2018 at 8:00 PM, vaquitita said:

DS#3 will be in 2nd... Everything he's using this year is going well, so we'll probably just continue with the next level for everything

Math: Right Start level C and Beast Academy 2 c&d

LA: Spelling You See level C, brave writer lifestyle, HWOT

History & Science: Evan Moore Daily Science. And going to try Layers of Learning year 3.

Music: hopefully he'll start piano, I'm just waiting for him to be mature enough that daily practicing won't be torture. ?

I pretty much ended up changing everything. ? I am splitting my older two off to do their own thing, so now this guy gets history and science catered to him. After 7 years of homeschooling, I am also DONE with planning everything. So we are giving Bookshark a try. His line up is now:

Math: Beast Academy 2 B&C, Singapore Dimensions 2

LA: Bookshark LA2 regular readers. Explode the Code 4-6. HWOT.

History: Bookshark level K

Science: Bookshark K

extras: Keyboarding without Tears, drawing, gymnastics, tennis, BitsBox

Edited by vaquitita

OK, so apparently I didn't post on this before with my plan! Our official 1st day of school was August 1st, although we immediately left on a long vacation, so today is more of our official year start. DD is an older 2nd grader.

Math: Various Beast Academy programs starting with 3D, 2B, and Online and continuing as appropriate
Literature: Bookshelf of Mommy-aproved literature suggestions
Writing: CAP Fable and Killgallon Sentence Composing
Spelling: AAS 3
Grammar: FLL3
Piano: Hoffman Academy and Mommy-picked pieces
History: Mostly hodgepodge of resources informally used. We do SOTW audio, Liberty's Kids, TV shows and Docuentaries, books from the library, and literature, Junior Ranger program
Science: Similar to history.
Typing: TypingClub

Edited by MeaganS

At this point most things have changed so here is the final plan...

Twin 1:

Rightstart D and finish BJU 3

Bookshark 3 readers and language arts with a couple of MP guides thrown in from core 2 

TGTB 2

SYS C

SCM-proverbs cursive

Prima Latina

Twin 2:

Saxon 3 and finish up BJU 2

Bookshark 2 readers and language arts

TGTB 2

SYS C

SCM-proverbs cursive 

Prima Latina

Together:

Bookshark History and Geography level 2/C along with my pieced together biblioplan/SOTW/MoH hodgepodge. I just take my favorite bits from everything. We will use duct tape warfare knights book and our book of catapults and various other fun things like that.

Along with Bookshark geography we will also do Draw Europe, cook around the world, My Book House readings by origin country, 10 Days in Europe game and Europe geopuzzle along with some country specific books if time allows.

We will finish up BJU Science 3 and then are doing TGTB Arthropods along with Supercharged Science units and a lot of nature study and Journaling. We have been doing this all summer and our watercolor notebooks look fantastic! 

Art we will keep using Home Art Studio this semester. We took a break from MTM and have really been enjoying the DVD based art alot. 

I'm an afterschooler, so my plans are likely to be overtaken by events.

SOTW 1: We read alternating paragraphs at bedtime. Kills three birds with one stone: history for him, history for his younger sister, and helps me work explicitly on his reading.
Pentime 1B: Handwriting. Will either progress to 2 or circle back to 1A. He's so very, very bad at this. 
Singapore Math 2A/B, also Xtramath. I set up an account for him on a mac that autolocks after 30 minutes; if he's been good he can do a set of xtramath practices and then watch a video or play an allegedly educational game.
He'll be playing baseball and swimming fall and spring. 
Thinking about piano, which will help with his sorely lacking manual dexterity. Seems like his days are already going to be pretty full, though. 

Edited by jboo