Menu

anti anxiety supplements question

jrn

A quick search on the internet makes my head spin. Info overload.

Are there any tried and true, over the counter supplements for anxiety?

I currently take a daily multivitamin and am working on other self care as recommended by my therapist.

I also am planning to schedule an appointment with my doctor within the month to discuss prescription anti anxiety meds. 

Thank you for any direction you can point me in.

A doctor I respect suggests Lemon balm (aka Melissa?) for anxiety. Maybe you could discuss this option with your doctor.

:grouphug:

Angie -- I was just going to say this. You get Lemon Balm at health food stores. Make it like a tea. They give it to newborns and elderly in the late afternoons to help them through sundowner's syndrome.

It's totally legal. I would just say only have it in the evenings and don't plan on driving. It made me really sleepy. I used to take it when I had insomnia and it really helped.

Alley

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is just a Canadian product, or if you could find this in the US, but I used this for a while and found it helpful. I was waiting to see my doc about anxiety medication, and this was highly recommended at the natural foods store I go to so I gave it a shot.

It's good, but for some people supplements like this won't work as well as anti-anxiety medications.

https://www.veeva.ca/veeva-anxiety-formula

I ditto L-theanine. I find it can be taken sporadically, just when you need it. 

5htp is in our experience more long lasting & you have to take it for a while to see an effect. 

for night time, another source of lemon balm is the supplement called Melissa Dream by New Nordic. It's got the lemon balm, l-theanine plus magnesium and some vit B. 

• Like 2

Angie -- I was just going to say this. You get Lemon Balm at health food stores. Make it like a tea. They give it to newborns and elderly in the late afternoons to help them through sundowner's syndrome.

It's totally legal. I would just say only have it in the evenings and don't plan on driving. It made me really sleepy. I used to take it when I had insomnia and it really helped.

Alley

No opinion on its use for anxiety, but we grow tons of lemon balm and you can eat it too. We snack on it in the garden constantly...it's in the mint family. I add it to our smoothies as well and we do use if for tea. I pick a couple handfuls and pour boiling water over it and let it steep awhile, then strain it out and refrigerate the liquid which we drink cold in the summer. I also make lemon balm jelly with it. Being in the mint family it's super easy to grow so I recommend growing it for anyone who likes it as it has a lot of yummy uses. Edited by OrganicJen
  • Like 2

No opinion on its use for anxiety, but we grow tons of lemon balm and you can eat it too. We snack on it in the garden constantly...it's in the mint family. I add it to our smoothies as well and we do use if for tea. I pick a couple handfuls and pour boiling water over it and let it steep awhile, then strain it out and refrigerate the liquid which we drink cold in the summer. I also make lemon balm jelly with it. Being in the mint family it's super easy to grow so I recommend growing it for anyone who likes it as it has a lot of yummy uses.

Well are y'all a generally mellow family?   :laugh:

• Like 2

Well are y'all a generally mellow family? :laugh:

Lol...in some ways yes definitely, although lately we have some super stressful things going on so things aren't the norm right now. I have a child with multiple disabilities and an anxiety disorder and one of his favorite garden snacks is the lemon balm and I haven't really paid attention or noticed any calming effects from it.

• Like 1

ok - suggestion

for a multi - please make sure it is a quality bioavailable.  

a good quality  b-complex. - I like emerald labs.

this is what is rec'd by our ND.  we've found it very helpful.

Ashwagandha.  600mg - 2X perday.  (that's 2caps, 2x perday)  I had been doing douglas, but availability problems has me using jarrow.   Amazon has it on subscribe and save, so I may stick with it as it is cheaper than the douglas labs and similar concentration.    concentration  the is percent of withaniloids, so the brand does matter.  some are quite dilute.

works best combined with:

bacopa monerii by pure encapsulation. 1 cap 2X per day.  that bottle will last about three months.

things that can be helpful for anxiety.

l.-theanine

GABA

Relora - especially if it's adrenal-function based anxiety.

A lot of people have good results taking n-acetyl cysteine. It did amazing things for my OCD, though sadly I ended up having to stop taking it because it made my heartbeat irregular. Apparently that's really rare, though.

hmm - I switched from the cap to the tablet 'cause it was cheaper.  I think I need to go back.

A quick search on the internet makes my head spin. Info overload.

Are there any tried and true, over the counter supplements for anxiety?

I currently take a daily multivitamin and am working on other self care as recommended by my therapist.

I also am planning to schedule an appointment with my doctor within the month to discuss prescription anti anxiety meds. 

Thank you for any direction you can point me in.

My ds has significant issues with anxiety and other emotions connected with his autism, so I've been looking for options. We did genetic testing on him (23andme.com sale and then run it through promethease) and it popped up the exact genes effected, which is giving us ways to target the underlying causes. If you like digging in on stuff like that, it's one way to go at it. 

low or no caffeine

Total aside, but caffeine is a methyl donor. So if someone has high methyl levels anyway connected with their anxiety, then the caffeine could give them more symptoms, yes. Interestingly, the solution in that case would be the total inverse of what is normally suggested (anti-depressants), because anti-depressants are also methyl donors, even the natural ones like Sam-e. 

I've been looking into 5-HTP for my ds. There are a couple genes involved there and it got complicated. Same gig though, that if you have that genetic defect it's a good fit and if not it's not. 

If you're lucky, you're in sort of the genetic majority and the run of normal/typical things work. My ds doesn't seem to be, and for him niacin seems to be better. Overmethylation and Undermethylation: Case Study - MTHFR.Net