Menu

Hey Lanny, looks rumbly in your part of the world

Seasider

Hello Seasider. I am not aware of any earthquakes around here. The USGS.GOV web site is the world-wide authority on earthquakes:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

When we do feel an earthquake, I try to remember to report to them on their "Did you feel it?" page. Not sure if that's the title. Our house was designed with the anti-seismic design methods used in 2003 when the blueprints were made.  There is a lot of Rebar in the Foundation and Concrete Walls, but heavy as this house is, it does sway a little, as it was designed to do, during a strong earthquake.

• Like 3

I found this one. Extremely close to one of our tiny islands in the Caribbean Sea. It was a 4.8 on the Richter Scale. Isla San Andres (San Andres Island) is a favorite vacation spot for Colombians and there are a lot of packages that go there. From where we live, in S.W. Colombia, it is 2 hours in a nonstop jet to go there.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000cm5z#executive

• Like 1

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity! Glad to know you're not feeling anything of consequence.

My app is obviously not the top of the line for earthquake detection, but as I check radar each morning and when thunderstorms are brewing, I've gotten used to the little red markers indicating quakes. The western and South Pacific are always busy, with occasional markers near Alaska and western SA, but this afternoon there was that whole line of red dots. Made me wonder.

• Like 1

Yes, one of the major earthquake lines is just off the Pacific Coast of North and South America. I forget what it is called. Actually, I think it winds around into Asia. The Plates move around...  It is better for a lot of minor quakes, which we normally do not feel, than a really strong quake.  After we moved into this house, during March 2004, I think it was that same year that there was a major quake. About 4 A.M. We woke up and you could hear the Shingles (that's not the word, they are sort of like Tiles) on the roof moving around.  Nothing like that since then in our location. However, that same quake, in certain sections of the city of Cali, did MAJOR damage to 2 hospitals and to some tall apartment buildings. And most buildings had no damage at all. The only thing my wife and I could come up with was that either they were built on unstable land, which seemed doubtful, due to nearby buildings without damage, or, more probably, that the design was improper and/or the materials and construction methods used were faulty.    Sometimes we will feel an earthquake here and later find out the epicenter was 100 or 200 miles away.  We are about that distance by air from a place in Ecuador where there was a major earthquake, probably 1 or 2 years ago by now.  My wife is from the Coffee growing region of Colombia and during January 1999 that area was struck by a severe Earthquake and there was a huge amount of property damage. I forget how many fatalities. It took them years to rebuild from that. Hopefully with better construction methods...

There was a major quake, 1 or 2 weeks ago,  in or near Central America, and there was a Tsunami Alert in the Caribbean, which really surprised me...

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1