Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW4: River by Shuntaro Tanikawa

Robin M

Okay, my favorite kid's detective series has not been mentioned - my favorite series was The Happy Hollisters.  Which only one of my three kids loved, but I'll take it. :)  After I was done with those, I liked The Three Investigators.  I read some, but never really loved, Nancy Drew.  I don't think I even knew about Trixie Belden or Cherry Ames.

I absolutely loved Narnia, and also The Lord of the Rings, but I didn't read the latter till high school.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 6

I remember Pippi Longstocking's, Dr Seuss, Old Yeller,  Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, the Hardy Boys and Narnia books when I was young. As a teen I devoured Harlequin's - all g rated at that time - before I got into science fiction through Edgar Rice Burroughs.    I introduced James to the Hardy Boys and he wasn't too impressed.  Although we did play some Nancy Drew mystery computer games which we both enjoyed.

A few links from my internet wanderings:

Mystery Writers of America announces Edgar Award Nominations

2018 Pen America Literary Award Finalists 

Modern Mrs. Darcy's 25 classics that are not remotely boring - I'll confess, I have yet to read To Kill a Mockingbird. Maybe this year. 

Why you should absolutely watch The Neverending Story as an adult (I've seen it three times.  Get something new out of it each time)

• Like 7

Why you should absolutely watch The Neverending Story as an adult (I've seen it three times.  Get something new out of it each time)

That movie was really well done, and followed the book very closely.  But...  it only covered the first half of the book, and then just ended!!!!  And the movie sequel was, very disappointingly, not the second half of the book!  

So, you should also read the book. :)  Heck, now I want to go reread the book.  :D

• Like 8

All this talk of kids' books is making me think of my family's favorite -- the Swallows and Amazons books by Arthur Ransome.  I think they are considered for readers about ages 9-12, but we did them as read-alouds.  We have very clear memories of reading the first book. It started off quite dull for us (a lot of technical sailing information, too much for us).  I was about to give it up, but for some reason took it on vacation with us.  We were hanging out in our hotel room, at a family reunion, waiting for other people to show up, and I started reading.  Suddenly, with the arrival of a certain character, we were in the story and could barely stop for all the reunion activities.

Then we went on and read all the rest of the books, one after the other, with no breaks for other books in between.  Most of them are quite good.  A couple reflect the thinking of the time with terms (such as black pearls named using a word we don't use anymore) and racial stereotypes; we just talked through those as I read.  But mostly they are just the most wonderful books ever.  We have such fond memories and will never give up our paperback copies. I envision my kids fighting over them if/when they have children of their own to read to.  (Though I hope they are still in print forever.)

• Like 5

I gobbled up the Nancy Drew books when I was young but never read any of the others. I knew about The Bobsey Twins but those didn't interest me. I was unaware of Trixie Beldon or Cherry Ames until I was much older and had outgrown those kinds of books.

I credit the enigmatic Carolyn Keene for my interest in mysteries and amateur sleuths to this day. Of course at the time, I thought she was a real author and wanted to be just like her. 

So what books did you read with a flashlight after bedtime as a kid?

What's sad is while I have a clear picture of reading with a flashlight with the covers over my head (so the light didn't show under my door, or so I thought), I don't remember most of the books. They were probably twaddle. I read  the "good stuff" during the day. I do remember one series that I used to read in bed with a flashlight when I was in middle school - Dinny Gordon. And while you all know I'm old I'm not that old lol. They were already dated and old fashioned when I read them, but I connected with the bookish, studious, Dinny. Plus I wasn't in high school yet so I had no idea how unrealistic the stories were. :D

Oh my! This was one of my favorites. I wish I still had it and could sell it for the outrageous price listed!

• Like 4

I gobbled up the Nancy Drew books when I was young but never read any of the others. I knew about The Bobsey Twins but those didn't interest me. I was unaware of Trixie Beldon or Cherry Ames until I was much older and had outgrown those kinds of books.

I credit the enigmatic Carolyn Keene for my interest in mysteries and amateur sleuths to this day. Of course at the time, I thought she was a real author and wanted to be just like her. 

What's sad is while I have a clear picture of reading with a flashlight with the covers over my head (so the light didn't show under my door, or so I thought), I don't remember most of the books. They were probably twaddle. I read  the "good stuff" during the day. I do remember one series that I used to read in bed with a flashlight when I was in middle school - Dinny Gordon. And while you all know I'm old I'm not that old lol. They were already dated and old fashioned when I read them, but I connected with the bookish, studious, Dinny. Plus I wasn't in high school yet so I had no idea how unrealistic the stories were. :D

Oh my! This was one of my favorites. I wish I still had it and could sell it for the outrageous price listed!

I never heard of Dinny but wish I had. I have to say my teen favorite was far cheaper when I bought it last week at £3. Waiting for Lionors to arrive.....not a teen book BTW, probably one I shouldn't have been reading. Looking forward to finding out!

To my Goodreads friends I apologize. I know I am filling your list with books but I am working really hard to be ready for the Brit Tripping announcement tomorrow.

• Like 4

I remember Pippi Longstocking's, Dr Seuss, Old Yeller,  Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, the Hardy Boys and Narnia books when I was young. As a teen I devoured Harlequin's - all g rated at that time - before I got into science fiction through Edgar Rice Burroughs.    I introduced James to the Hardy Boys and he wasn't too impressed.  Although we did play some Nancy Drew mystery computer games which we both enjoyed.

A few links from my internet wanderings:

Mystery Writers of America announces Edgar Award Nominations

2018 Pen America Literary Award Finalists 

Modern Mrs. Darcy's 25 classics that are not remotely boring - I'll confess, I have yet to read To Kill a Mockingbird. Maybe this year. 

Alrighty. Here's the deal. You read To Kill a Mockingbird this year and I'll watch The Neverending Story.

• Like 5

I never heard of Dinny but wish I had. I have to say my teen favorite was far cheaper when I bought it last week at £3. Waiting for Lionors to arrive.....not a teen book BTW, probably one I shouldn't have been reading. Looking forward to finding out!

To my Goodreads friends I apologize. I know I am filling your list with books but I am working really hard to be ready for the Brit Tripping announcement tomorrow.

I am looking forward to this one!

I finally finished "Assaulted Caramel" a cozy mystery set in an Amish town in Ohio.  It was great because I could read it in 15 minute intervals.   I hate reading that way, but some weeks that is all I get.

I am currently reading "A Year of Living Danishly" by Helen Russell. 

• Like 4

I read the first book written by my writing buddy. Will start the sequel tonight.

What genre do you write in?  I'm sure I should know this but I've forgotten.  :blushing:

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 2

I absolutely loved Narnia, and also The Lord of the Rings, but I didn't read the latter till high school.

I have still never read The Lord of the Rings.  I tried to start on The Hobbit once, maybe 10ish years ago, but couldn't do it.  I couldn't make it past all the songs lol.  So I never picked up LOTR - DH, however, has read all of them, and those (along with the Harry Potter series lol) are the only two things I've ever seen him read.  I'm the reader, but he made it through that set of books I couldn't lol.  Link has read them all, as well.

I didn't read Narnia until I was in high school, but I don't remember them well from then.  But I HAD seen the old BBC The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and honestly I completely loved it as a kid.  :lol:  I think I even knew it was sort of awful but at the same time I watched it so. many. times.  I reread them as an adult and enjoyed them much more.

As for right now, I finished The Secret Keeper today.  It was a really good read!  I was hoping the ending 'twist' would be what it ended up being.  :D  I found myself thinking of that somewhere around halfway through?  And then the more the book went on, the more I really found myself hoping that was the case.  

I've never read anything else by her but apparently she's pretty formulaic in her writing?  If that's the case, I can't say I loved it enough to want to pick up other titles she's written.  But either way, this particular book was a fun read.  :)

I picked up The Ghost Bride at the library this week hoping I would be able to count it as my Silk Road book, then realized when I began reading that this book is not in China.  :lol:  But the characters are of Chinese descent, so...???  Ha!  I may cheat and count it anyway... :leaving: :lol:

• Like 3

I have still never read The Lord of the Rings.  I tried to start on The Hobbit once, maybe 10ish years ago, but couldn't do it.  I couldn't make it past all the songs lol.  So I never picked up LOTR - DH, however, has read all of them, and those (along with the Harry Potter series lol) are the only two things I've ever seen him read.  I'm the reader, but he made it through that set of books I couldn't lol.  Link has read them all, as well.

I tried LOTR and The Hobbit, also about ten years ago and just couldn't get far at all. Same with the Narnia books. I couldn't finish the movies from any of the books either. Those two series are the reason I resisted Harry Potter for so long. I thought the HP books would be similar. When I finally started the Potter books I couldn't stop until I finished. Fortunately I started when the final book was about to be released, so I didn't have to wait for each one. 

As for right now, I finished The Secret Keeper today.  It was a really good read!  I was hoping the ending 'twist' would be what it ended up being.   :D  I found myself thinking of that somewhere around halfway through?  And then the more the book went on, the more I really found myself hoping that was the case.  

I've never read anything else by her but apparently she's pretty formulaic in her writing?  If that's the case, I can't say I loved it enough to want to pick up other titles she's written.  But either way, this particular book was a fun read.   :)

The only Kate Morton I've read is The Lake House, and I liked it. I actually listened to the audio book, and I've been trying to decide how to use my Audible credit this month. Maybe I'll choose The Secret Keeper. I keep hearing good things about it.

I picked up The Ghost Bride at the library this week hoping I would be able to count it as my Silk Road book, then realized when I began reading that this book is not in China.   :lol:  But the characters are of Chinese descent, so...???  Ha!  I may cheat and count it anyway... :leaving: :lol:

I chose that one for book club a year or so ago when it was my turn to pick a book. I didn't realize it had actual ghosts in it. Duh. The title should have clued me in.  :lol:

• Like 3

What I managed in January:

We Never Asked for Wings (by the author of The Language of Flowers)

Holes (read aloud w/ my 11 year old)

Waylon: Even More Awesome (read aloud w/ my 9 year old)

Wild Things: Acts of Mischief in Children's Literature

Lies Jane Austen Told Me

The Gypsy Moth Summer

I think Grocery: The Buying and Selling of Food in America may be up next. Although, Erin's recommendation of Born a Crime comes not long after a dear friend just told me it was a fantastic read, so maybe I will do that one next... Too many books...too little time! 

• Like 3