Menu

dr hive- dr is stumped.

gardenmom5

in dec, 1ds was bleeding internally for several days - after drinking a big glass of eggnog .   they did a colonoscopy - removed three small polyps and sent them off to the lab.  benign.

they also did an MRI. - all was well.

however -

there was quite a bit of redness in the small colon where it meets the large colon - biopsy, benign, but no explanation

any ideas?

I did suggest he eat more fiber . . .

I agree about looking at allergens (surely the doc thought of this?).  I would be a little careful about adding more fiber, as for some people that's the opposite direction to go.  It can be irritating and for some can even exacerbate constipation.

Did they also do an endoscopy?  My kid had that this week, but without the colonoscopy.  Had polyp removed from the stomach and many biopsies for infection (in stomach and duodenum), which apparently can be a common cause of stomach polyps, though he also said that the cause of a polyp is not always identified.

My son had a GI hemorrhage four years ago and they never found the cause. I have had to learn not to worry. In total, he had eight units of blood and two of FFP and spent three days on a ventilator. They think there is little to no risk of recurrence since all tests and exploratory surgery turned up nothing, although his appendix was removed at the time because it was full of blood. Keep in touch with the doctors and if he feels faint or looks too pale, bring him in. Also, make sure he knows that he should tell you if he sees any blood in his stool. I don’t want to freak you out, but do stay on top of it like you are doing. Like I said, I have learned not to worry and don’t often think about it these days, but a lot of time has passed for us, too.

• Like 1