Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

Welp, dh is furloughed. Again. Anyone else affected by the shutdown?

Edit: okay, I am definitely thinking of 2011. I don’t remember the details but I think the government shut down between pay periods and we didn’t think we would get paid, but then they had a deal in time for us to get paid at the regular time.

That is what my husband and I are thinking of.

I have no idea with 2013.

My husband is active duty military.

I think in 2013 we weren’t concerned because in 2011 it turned out to work out after so much concern.

I’m not sure though.

Ugh, I don’t want to think about it.

I am counting on this resolving soon and no problems.

We definitely almost had a shutdown in 2011. I remember it well. I was single and had no liquid savings, because I had just bought a condo. I was super relieved when it was called off at the last minute!

2013 I was 37 weeks pregnant. I spend the whole shutdown dozing on the couch. It was glorious!

• Like 5

That is funny! I’m glad the timing worked out for you :)

I am hoping this is done soon! I don’t know why I don’t know about the one in 2013. Maybe my husband was deployed and didn’t want to worry me or something. He was deployed part of that year I think.

In 2011 I was just going “How can this happen? Don’t they know people need to pay their bills and support their families?â€

• Like 1

At this point my husband is working and getting paid as usual. If it lasts very long he might work and not get paid.

He says he worked without pay in 2011 but I have literally no memory of it. I would have had 2- or 3-year-old twins at the time so I’m sure that is why.

I’m sorry for everyone. I hope this is resolved quickly!

Rabbit trail. I have a bunch of friends with twins and every single one reports this same thing. Huge chunks of time in the early years that they have no memory of.

Edit: okay, I am definitely thinking of 2011. I don’t remember the details but I think the government shut down between pay periods and we didn’t think we would get paid, but then they had a deal in time for us to get paid at the regular time.

There was no actual shutdown in 2011 unless you count the time between midnight and 12:30am.  They made a deal at the last minute (or a half hour past the last minute) so a shutdown never happened.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/08/government-shutdown-2011-live-updates

The government actually shutdown in 2013 (October 1-16).

Well, if anyone is interested, this is the official release. Note that this is the response for Big Bend National Park ONLY, not necessarily all NP's:

Important Notice to Park Visitors

Due to the lapse in federal appropriations, the National Park Service (NPS) is unable to fully staff the properties under its management. It is not feasible to close or otherwise prohibit all access to NPS properties. Park visitors are advised to use extreme caution if choosing to enter NPS property, as NPS personnel will not be available to provide guidance, assistance, maintenance, or emergency response. Any entry onto NPS property during this period of federal government shutdown is at the visitor’s sole risk.

The NPS will not operate parks during the shutdown period, and no visitor services will be provided. The NPS will not issue permits, conduct educational programs, collect trash, operate or provide restrooms, maintain roads or walkways (including plowing and ice melting), or provide visitor information.

The NPS will cease providing services for NPS-operated campgrounds, including maintenance, janitorial, bathrooms, showers, check-in/check-out, and reservations. Visitors in campgrounds will not be asked to leave, but no services will be available, including check-in/check-out services. Visitors holding campground reservations should be aware that there is no guarantee their reserved campsite will be ready and available should they arrive during a government shutdown.

During a Federal government shutdown, we do not monitor or update social media.

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 4

I'm sorry for you all but we will have to add this to the list of things people not in the US just can't understand. How the hell can a government shut down? Is this the time to declare war on the US as no one is there to defend?

• Like 6

I'm sorry for you all but we will have to add this to the list of things people not in the US just can't understand. How the hell can a government shut down? Is this the time to declare war on the US as no one is there to defend?

No. Military personnel are essential and work with or without pay.

• Like 1

No. Military personnel are essential and work with or without pay.

But military support, i.e. contractors, are not subject. More of our military has been turned over to civilian jobs.  DH is literally doing exactly what he was doing when he was active duty, but it is all civilian here and at several other sites.

This worries me more than anything during a shutdown.  Lots of DFACs are civilian run.  AFN is backed by civilians (it's currently down overseas). Support for tech is civilian run.

Yes, the military is essential.  Contractors?  Not necessarily so.

• Like 2

But military support, i.e. contractors, are not subject. More of our military has been turned over to civilian jobs.  DH is literally doing exactly what he was doing when he was active duty, but it is all civilian here and at several other sites.

This worries me more than anything during a shutdown.  Lots of DFACs are civilian run.  AFN is backed by civilians (it's currently down overseas). Support for tech is civilian run.

Yes, the military is essential.  Contractors?  Not necessarily so.

Yes, AFN (for those who don't know is American TV stations...about 10 of them we can watch overseas) is not essential.

• Like 1

If a federal worker or contractor is providing essential services, then they will continue working. Only some are essential, not all.

On Monday all employees at dh’s agency have to show up (unless sick or possibly on vacation/leave) for four hours so they can shut down in an orderly manner. This allows essential workers to get what they need from non-essential workers so that they can work.

Dh can retire in 2.5 years. Counting down....

Edited by MBM
  • Like 1

If a federal worker or contractor is providing essential services, then they will continue working. Only some are essential, not all.

On Monday all employees have to show up (unless sick or possibly on vacation/leave) for four hours so they can shut down in an orderly manner. This allows essential workers to get what they need from non-essential workers so that they can work.

Yes, DH has several civilians who will still be working to keep mission-critical systems up and running.

It's so obnoxious and I hate that I have absolutely no faith that anyone will ever actually fix the process so that we don't have to go through this nearly yearly. 

• Like 2

DON'T BRING POLITICAL BLATHER INTO THIS THREAD.

Because of the government shutdown, I guess I'll be entertaining dh at home for a while. *roll my eyes*

It sounds like "snow days" at our house. Cabin fever big time.

Good luck!

Alley

My ex-husband is "essential" so he has to go in to work anyway, but since we don't live together that's fine by me!

I only know because he called to let me know that he has to wait to file our taxes now. LOL 

• Like 1

I'm sorry for you all but we will have to add this to the list of things people not in the US just can't understand. How the hell can a government shut down?

We're just as befuddled as you all.

• Like 2

DON'T BRING POLITICAL BLATHER INTO THIS THREAD.

Because of the government shutdown, I guess I'll be entertaining dh at home for a while. *roll my eyes*

Is anyone else affected?

DH is furloughed.  He has a list of things he plans to accomplish while out.  I have a list for him as well. They have very little overlap. :closedeyes:

• Like 14

My ex-husband is "essential" so he has to go in to work anyway, but since we don't live together that's fine by me!

I only know because he called to let me know that he has to wait to file our taxes now. LOL

Ah man, I hadn't thought of not being able to file taxes. I've been hoping to get ours done soon.

• Like 1

I will never forget the shutdown in 2013, because we were IN Washington DC on vacation when it happened.   We obviously knew that it was a possibility before we left home, but we did need to rearrange our plans mid-week because all of the Smithsonian museums, the Capitol building, and the National Archives all shut down.   The only government institution that was still open for tourists was the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, and we had the place to ourselves.   They tried to shut down the national monuments by barricading them, but we watched news footage of 90-year-old WWII veterans who were in DC with an Honor Flight "storming" the barricades at the monuments.

I feel for those of you who are directly affected.   

Edited by SebastianCat
  • Like 3

Dd's bf is an airman. He will get paid for all of February in advance if the govt isnt up and running in 11 days.

That doesn't seem like it's right information.

Right now, banks like USAA and Navy Federal are offering interest-free loans, continuing paychecks and then when the back pay comes in, taking it back.

There is a bill being floated to continue paying the military, widows/widowers, and essential personnel for federal workers.  It hasn't passed or been brought to the floor even.  If it does pass, that will provide a measure of continuity for these folks.

• Like 2

My DH is as well...and he's overseas so no money for rent or other expenses. It's not like he can go the next town over and borrow $50 from Uncle Bob if things get tight.

So , if supporting two households on one income wasn't enough fun, now we get to try supporting two households in no incomes.  Time to clean out the pantry and eat from the freezer. :o

• Like 1

I have two that will keep working, defending our country, but not being paid. And another one whose stipend will not happen, which is going to make paying rent tough. Two of mine are not going to get a rent payment this month as their renters will not be getting a paycheck. However, their renters will be out there, putting their lives on the line, just not getting paid. 

That doesn't seem like it's right information.

Right now, banks like USAA and Navy Federal are offering interest-free loans, continuing paychecks and then when the back pay comes in, taking it back.

There is a bill being floated to continue paying the military, widows/widowers, and essential personnel for federal workers.  It hasn't passed or been brought to the floor even.  If it does pass, that will provide a measure of continuity for these folks.

Since we seem to have a government shut down annually now, this seems appropriate. I really thought they would continue paying military.

• Like 1

Since some people are furloughed and other are not - what constitutes essential government employee?  :)

As I said above, the military would fall into this category but evidently they are working without pay.

The military *will* get paid.  They just might not get paid on time (depending on if the shutdown crosses a payday).

Senator McCaskill (who is a Democrat) introduced a thing last night that would make it so military members and death benefits continue to get paid on time during the shutdown.  Mitch McConnell objected and shut it down so it was not voted on.  So, yeah.  That's why military will have to wait for back pay just like my husband (who is an essential federal employee and so will continue to work during the shutdown but will not receive a paycheck for that work until the shutdown has ended).

• Like 5

Since some people are furloughed and other are not - what constitutes essential government employee?  :)

As I said above, the military would fall into this category but evidently they are working without pay.

Mission critical, essential to the necessary operations of the country, does a job needed for national security, etc.

See my above post about working without pay.  People who are working are guaranteed to be paid for the time worked.  They just won't get paid until the shutdown is over.

• Like 3

Dd's bf is an airman. He will get paid for all of February in advance if the govt isnt up and running in 11 days.

Airman as is Air Force?

Military pay is always in arrears. We'll get paid for work done up to the nineteenth (so not a full pay period) in the next check, and that it's til they fix it.

Usaa and Navy Fed and probably others are spotting us a paycheck temporarily.

• Like 1

You get it. Lol

Time to get that deck built, or the hot tub hauled in and installed, the house painted, the dry rot replaced...OR send him on the grocery trips that take 2 hours with more dry ice...:lol:

• Like 2

One would think that a budget would just stay the same until a new one is voted on...

The federal government needs a new budget every fiscal year.  Things change, needs change.  Some things are temporary funding needs for special projects.  What they have done is passed continuing resolutions to basically kick the can down the road for when they'll need to actually make the budget (a CR continues funding at the current level).  This creates funding problems because the amount needed is no longer correct.  Shutdowns occur when they don't pass another CR.

More to the point, I doubt there ever would be a new budget if they had no deadline and knew it just stayed the same until they got around to voting on a new one.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 1

Dh got an automated phone call today from his company (a contractor) saying to report to work as scheduled. I guess he's essential.

• Like 1

Dh got an automated phone call today from his company (a contractor) saying to report to work as scheduled. I guess he's essential.

My understanding was that contractors are paid by their companies (who are then paid by the government), so wouldn't be part of the furlough. My dh has contractors working for him who aren't affected and are required to work next week. Reading about some contractors being furloughed has surprised me. Whether one is furloughed or not must depend on the type of contract.

My understanding was that contractors are paid by their companies (who are then paid by the government), so wouldn't be part of the furlough. My dh has contractors working for him who aren't affected and are required to work next week. Reading about some contractors being furloughed has surprised me. Whether one is furloughed or not must depend on the type of contract.

In 2013 a number of employees from his company were furloughed though his specific group was deemed essential. He's not an individual contractor. His company is a contractor with the Air Force. 

ETA: A different company has that contract now (he's been through several companies as different ones win the bid). It's possible that the old company wasn't going to pay employees if the gov't wasn't going to pay the company. This company might do things differently.

Edited by Lady Florida.

This is the latest message. Most of it is directed at military personnel but civilians were furloughed in 2013, some from dh's company.

http://www.patrick.af.mil/2018-Government-Shutdown/

A MESSAGE FROM BRIGADIER GENERAL WAYNE MONTEITH

Team,

By now, I’m sure you are well aware that a budget agreement was not reached last night resulting in a government-wide shutdown effective today.  Many in our workforce recall the impacts of the 2013 shutdown, and now 5 years later, we find ourselves in a similar situation.

The unfortunate reality of the current situation is that lives and operations are disrupted. That said, I want you to know I am committed to each and every one of you and believe that communication will be the key to working through this together. I encourage you to read this page as it contains information on the current shutdown, how it will impact base resources, and what financial resource options you have, should you need them.

If the government does not reopen by the end of the weekend, everyone will report at their regularly scheduled times on Monday, and we will begin carrying out an orderly shutdown and doing official furlough notifications. This day will be difficult on all of us, but know that I value all of you for the effort you make day in and day out. We simply cannot accomplish our primary mission of assured access to space without our incredible civilian workforce.  This challenging time should not divide but unite us. My hope is that the furlough’s duration will be brief and become a mere speed bump in our Drive to 48 launches a year.

Be patient, be kind to one another, and stay informed.  In the end, our Nation and our mission relies on us, and I rely on you.

• Like 1

My DH is supposed to fly to DC next Sunday and give a TedX talk to FEMA.  The flight and hotel are paid for regardless if anyone will show up.  I would drive the kids down from Boston to hang out for the day but the museums won't be open!

Since some people are furloughed and other are not - what constitutes essential government employee? :)

Usually the head of a department is made the essential employee, possibly others. Agencies sometimes interact with other agencies or provide information to the three different branches. For example, if a member of Congress wants information quickly from an agency for whatever reason, then the essential employee could provide it.

My husband would prefer to stay home and says he could just run in if anyone needed info. Oh well. :D

• Like 1

Our APO is closed! And I juuuuuust placed a few orders last week. Normally the postal system is not affected, so I don't know why they closed ours down. Luckily I don't have prescriptions arriving, but I would have liked to get the jeans I ordered, since none of mine fit. I guess I will pretend it's the 90s and baggy mom jeans are back in style.

I have two that will keep working, defending our country, but not being paid. And another one whose stipend will not happen, which is going to make paying rent tough. Two of mine are not going to get a rent payment this month as their renters will not be getting a paycheck. However, their renters will be out there, putting their lives on the line, just not getting paid.

Let them know to get in touch with Navy Fed or USAA and get an interest free loan. All the money will get paid on the back end. It will just be delayed.

We do all our business almost exclusively with USAA and Navy Fed. They really take care of military.

• Like 2

I work in DC. Fortunately not for the federal government so I won't be affected. I feel bad for all the people who work in restaurants, etc in DC. Their business will go way down and they won't be able to recoup those losses.

• Like 2

I must say, I love my town right now.  A notice was sent out to all the folks to let them know what would/wouldn't happen if the shutdown extends past this weekend.  Many of the folks here work for different parts of the government.  Landlords and businesses have stepped up, pledging to work with those affected, extend due dates, whatever was needed to keep people afloat.  It is a bit heartwarming. 

• Like 2

On Monday all employees at dh’s agency have to show up (unless sick or possibly on vacation/leave) for four hours so they can shut down in an orderly manner. This allows essential workers to get what they need from non-essential workers so that they can work.

Is DH a contractor?  Because the Feds I know aren't allowed to open their email, or set foot in their office as of Saturday at 12:01.  

Time to get that deck built, or the hot tub hauled in and installed, the house painted, the dry rot replaced...OR send him on the grocery trips that take 2 hours with more dry ice... :lol:

Except you have to be careful, because you can be called back in with no notice. 

I have plenty of friends who started projects in 2013, and then were called back.  Suddenly, they had the contents of their closets all pulled out, or drop cloths and half painted walls, but they were working tons of unpaid overtime to catch up with what they missed.

Is DH a contractor? Because the Feds I know aren't allowed to open their email, or set foot in their office as of Saturday at 12:01.

I think it depends on the agency.

My husband also has to go in on Monday to conduct "an orderly shut down".

He is civil service not a contractor.

• Like 3

Mission critical, essential to the necessary operations of the country, does a job needed for national security, etc.

See my above post about working without pay.  People who are working are guaranteed to be paid for the time worked.  They just won't get paid until the shutdown is over.

I think it's important to understand that words like "necessary" and "critical" and "essential" here are used in a bureaucratic sense, and are not synonyms for "important".  The people who are working don't do jobs that are more necessary, they just do jobs that are more time sensitive.

For example, at NIH, the security guards who guard the labs are still there, but the scientists have been locked out of the labs, except for a handful who do things like keep cell lines alive.  

Scientific research is why NIH is there.  They're not something "extra", but because it's possible to do tomorrow what would have been done today, they were sent home.  

Similarly, our soldiers, sailors, and airmen are working, but the diplomats who prevent war aren't.  One isn't more important than the other.  

• Like 7

I wouldn't assume that.  There are four hours tomorrow allowed for the orderly shutdown of business.

Is DH a contractor?  Because the Feds I know aren't allowed to open their email, or set foot in their office as of Saturday at 12:01.  

Not true.  Many federal employees must report tomorrow to help shut things down.  And many get instructions for doing that via email.  After the orderly shutdown, then they can't do anything work related.

I think it's important to understand that words like "necessary" and "critical" and "essential" here are used in a bureaucratic sense, and are not synonyms for "important".  The people who are working don't do jobs that are more necessary, they just do jobs that are more time sensitive.

Yes, this is true.  For example, my husband keeps the phones working for customs and border protection.  It is extremely time sensitive that those phones work when they are needed.

I am curious what would happen in the Census Bureau if a shutdown occurred early in a 10th year.  They are mandated by the Constitution to do the census.  Usually, during a shutdown, the Census Bureau is a ghost town.  But what if they were in the middle of conducting a census?  At that point, it would seem a job normally classified as non-essential would become essential (or would Congress not care about the Constitutional mandate during a shutdown?).

• Like 1