Menu

Welp, dh is furloughed. Again. Anyone else affected by the shutdown?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They still don't know about the ice cream! Tee-hee! I got it into the house and into the freezer without anyone seeing. It's still sitting in there, waiting to be discovered. I can't wait until some

Haha! DH is IRS and he's out. As are a few acquaintances from my days at IRS.  DH says that taxes will be due the next business day after april 15. So if the shutdown happened to carry on until May 7t

DH is furloughed.  He has a list of things he plans to accomplish while out.  I have a list for him as well. They have very little overlap. :closedeyes:

Dh is currently a 'critical civilian'.  Meaning, he will continue to go to work, but may not get paid.  They will continue to pay them until the money runs out and then start lay-offs.  As they're almost already down to a skeleton crew, it will be interesting.  He may be laid off or he may work 12-on, 12-off.  If it isn't resolved, they will not be renewing their contract and dh will be out of a job entirely.

Yay.  I'd like to go back in time and kick our founding fathers for not seeing that Congress needs a way to be held accountable for their actions.

• Like 3

Sorry... I hope it is a very short shutdown. I can't "Like" your post. Was the Ice Cream well received?

They still don't know about the ice cream! Tee-hee! I got it into the house and into the freezer without anyone seeing. It's still sitting in there, waiting to be discovered. I can't wait until someone finds it!

• Like 25

:grouphug: to all involved.  May it get resolved reasonably soon.  (I know, but one can dream, right?)

I asked hubby if any of his jobs went up to the federal level and he said no, just state for us.  I don't know if any of his clients (aka, those who pay us) will be affected.

Dh will report to work Monday and then probably be sent home.

I'm trying to look on the bright side; I have a tour of a charter school we are considering sending one of our kids to scheduled for Monday afternoon, if he's home in time he can come with me.

In general Dh home with nothing to do = more stress for everyone, so I'm going to have to figure out ways to keep him busy and preferably out of the house as much as possible.

• Like 6

One thing I'm confused about, well, it is really that I don't believe the internet.   'They' say that when the shutdown is over, the people who were sent home will be given back pay for the days that they were home.  Is that right?   The reason I am confused is that 'They' said the opposite last time.   

Yeah, my dh is affected. We live in Europe, and he is in the states right now - 2 weeks into a 4-week class. Looks like he'll be sent home with nothing to show for the absolute ton of work he's put into this class. My guess is it will take months to get another spot for this class, and then he will have to miss another month of work and travel to the states again to start all over. What a frustrating waste of his time! While he's on furlough we can't really go far because he has to be ready to report back to work. I think we might take some time off school and take some off-season day trips. With our luck, the furlough will end as soon as he gets home.

• Like 3

Yeah, my dh is affected. We live in Europe, and he is in the states right now - 2 weeks into a 4-week class. Looks like he'll be sent home with nothing to show for the absolute ton of work he's put into this class. My guess is it will take months to get another spot for this class, and then he will have to miss another month of work and travel to the states again to start all over. What a frustrating waste of his time! While he's on furlough we can't really go far because he has to be ready to report back to work. I think we might take some time off school and take some off-season day trips. With our luck, the furlough will end as soon as he gets home.

So efficient huh?

• Like 3

One thing I'm confused about, well, it is really that I don't believe the internet.   'They' say that when the shutdown is over, the people who were sent home will be given back pay for the days that they were home.  Is that right?   The reason I am confused is that 'They' said the opposite last time.   

The federal workers do normally get the back pay. Defense contractors do not get it, unless their company chooses to give it to them. Bigger companies usually can do this, as they have enough reserves. Smaller companies, not so much, but there are many variables. On any given military base, you're likely to have just as many, if not more, contractors than federal workers. 

• Like 1

I'm not getting political, I'm talking about both sides of the aisle. I am sick and tired of the parties being so split that they cannot compromise on anything. The main job of congress is to pass a budget. I will not vote for any sitting senators or congressmen in the elections to come. They are a bunch of infants: NO, MY WAY IS RIGHT, I'M PUTTING MY FINGERS IN MY EARS LALALALALA can't hear you, other-party person.

• Like 10

The federal workers do normally get the back pay. Defense contractors do not get it, unless their company chooses to give it to them. Bigger companies usually can do this, as they have enough reserves. Smaller companies, not so much, but there are many variables. On any given military base, you're likely to have just as many, if not more, contractors than federal workers. 

Quoting myself.... lol............ That said, dh's travel for next week will still happen as it was already approved. They verified that yesterday. If the shutdown continues past next week, he'll telecommute, as his company's contract is fully funded through March 31st. He has to telecommute because the center he works at will be closed. Meetings, via Skype, won't have the govt counterparts in attendance, which can slow things down.....

So does the whole park shut down then?

I ought to expand my answer.

No, the park is not totally shut down. Law enforcement rangers will still work, more or less. Of course, the border patrol will continue to work. The concessioners that run the campgrounds, lodge, and restaurant will continue operations. Everything else is closed.

• Like 4

One thing I'm confused about, well, it is really that I don't believe the internet. 'They' say that when the shutdown is over, the people who were sent home will be given back pay for the days that they were home. Is that right? The reason I am confused is that 'They' said the opposite last time.

The last shutdown in 2013 lasted 16 days, iirc. Federal workers did get backpay at that time, but it was not guaranteed. Same thing this time.

"They" always say back pay is not guaranteed.  And it isn't.  But every time the government has shut down (which, by the way, has never helped anything in the end), federal employees have been given their back pay anyway (including last time in 2013).  So while it isn't definite, history tells us they will be paid.  Those who are not directly employed by the government may or may not be paid and may or may not be forced to use leave if they want to get paid.  That depends on how the company they work for handles it.

We are affected but in a different way.  My husband is essential so he has to work and do the job of multiple people.  And then, when the dust settles and everything is back up and running, when people get paid, his fellow employees he was doing the job of get paid the same as him.

Government shutdowns are just plain stupid.

• Like 5

The last shut down is why dh finally left for private business. He was deemed ‘essential’ so he continued to work, but when they back-paid the govt employees (like they always do) they tried not to pay the contractors. That’s a big nope.

My sister lives near base and she said it’s eerily quiet this morning—no helicopters, no bombs...

First time no helicopters and no bombs was BAD news that I've read about!

(Not an anti-military post at all -- just struck me as kinda funny)

• Like 2

At this point my husband is working and getting paid as usual. If it lasts very long he might work and not get paid.

He says he worked without pay in 2011 but I have literally no memory of it. I would have had 2- or 3-year-old twins at the time so I’m sure that is why.

I’m sorry for everyone. I hope this is resolved quickly!

• Like 1

My husband works for a private company which is contracted by the government.  Their budget will allow them to function for one week past the shut-down.  One week.  So I'm hoping the shut down gets resolved in a week or less, because, well, we've grown rather attached to those paychecks!   :001_smile: But we'll be okay.  I know others have it a whole lot worse, so my whining is light-hearted.

I don’t like shutdowns. The support staff in my high COL city are not highly paid. I would not be surprised if many of them live paycheck to paycheck. That said, I already thinking about the clutter clusters I could attack with a few days alone at home! (Kids will still go to daycare. We’ve already paid for it!)

I went through this multiple times as a government contractor and then government employee. I was concerned in 2013 because I was just working part-time and DH was home, but he did eventually get paid. When I was a government program manager with GS-7 employees supporting children, I actually sent several of them gift cards.

DS leaves for basic training in nine days, and it's not affected, although he may not get paid for awhile. Supposedly payroll is "non-essential."

• Like 1

One thing I'm confused about, well, it is really that I don't believe the internet. 'They' say that when the shutdown is over, the people who were sent home will be given back pay for the days that they were home. Is that right? The reason I am confused is that 'They' said the opposite last time.

During sequestration, we took a big financial hit and were not repaid in spite of the fact DS worked the same amount of hours spread out over 4 days. The workload never decreased either.

IDK whether shutdown people will get paid. DS is paid 2 weeks behind, so we are due one paycheck. I have no idea how or if medical or employee insurance premiums will be affected during this time. I guess we’ll know on Monday.

Edited by Heathermomster

The year of the big furlough, our income was cut by 20 percent for two or three or four months (?? I don't exactly remember), and we did NOT get that back.  Federal employee, not a contractor.  So I don't know who the lucky ones are that got it back, but I don't know any of them.

Currently, my dh will be working and getting paid, but we don't know how long that will last.  Technically, his agency is self-supporting, but that doesn't always matter in these things. 

He says he worked without pay in 2011 but I have literally no memory of it. I would have had 2- or 3-year-old twins at the time so I’m sure that is why.

Your memory is correct.  There was no government shutdown in 2011.  There was one in 2013 and before that was 1996.

The year of the big furlough, our income was cut by 20 percent for two or three or four months (?? I don't exactly remember), and we did NOT get that back.  Federal employee, not a contractor.  So I don't know who the lucky ones are that got it back, but I don't know any of them.

Furloughs with decreased work hours or pay reductions are different.  Back pay has always been given when there has been a complete shutdown.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 1

Edit: okay, I am definitely thinking of 2011. I don’t remember the details but I think the government shut down between pay periods and we didn’t think we would get paid, but then they had a deal in time for us to get paid at the regular time.

That is what my husband and I are thinking of.

I have no idea with 2013.

My husband is active duty military.

I think in 2013 we weren’t concerned because in 2011 it turned out to work out after so much concern.

I’m not sure though.

Ugh, I don’t want to think about it.

I am counting on this resolving soon and no problems.

Edited by Lecka

DH has to work. He worked through the last one too. I recently learned though that because we are stationed overseas our bank will not be extending us a no interest loan. So, we will use our savings to pay our local landlord and file our taxes as soon as we can. Of course, who’s there to approve tax payments? No clue. Hopefully this ends quickly. No one wants milmembers stationed overseas to show up on the nightly news next to their unhappy and unpaid local landlords.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear this. My dh is on the flip side. He offers a class that overseas folks attend. That class was scheduled to start Monday. Unfortunately, several of the people from overseas had already left before the shutdown, so they're en route to a class that isn't starting on time. Unfortunately, dh can't contact them to tell them because he's not allowed to work. He's figured out a workaround, but it's incredibly frustrating that the furlough even happened.

I'm thankful I have sub jobs 4 out of the next 5 days.

We hope not, but don't know yet. The last shutdown didn't affect him. The 45th Space Wing, where dh works for a civilian contractor, has said only uniformed personnel will come to work. But they also say mission essential personnel will report and his area is mission essential. 

http://www.patrick.a...hutdown-status/

The next NASA launch isn't scheduled until March but SpaceX has several scheduled for the next two months. The ISS will continue to get full support but dh's company isn't involved in that - only in launches. 

Fingers crossed they work something out before Monday, for the sake of everyone affected.

Edit: okay, I am definitely thinking of 2011. I don’t remember the details but I think the government shut down between pay periods and we didn’t think we would get paid, but then they had a deal in time for us to get paid at the regular time.

That is what my husband and I are thinking of.

I have no idea with 2013.

My husband is active duty military.

I think in 2013 we weren’t concerned because in 2011 it turned out to work out after so much concern.

I’m not sure though.

Ugh, I don’t want to think about it.

I am counting on this resolving soon and no problems.

We definitely almost had a shutdown in 2011. I remember it well. I was single and had no liquid savings, because I had just bought a condo. I was super relieved when it was called off at the last minute!

2013 I was 37 weeks pregnant. I spend the whole shutdown dozing on the couch. It was glorious!

• Like 4