Menu

Age breast buds?

ktgrok

DD7 will be 8 in a few weeks, and today told me one nipple felt "hard and tender". I had noticed that she seemed to be showing through her t-shirts more than before lately. She seems to be sprouting breast buds. 8 seems to be the absolute earliest that is normal, per the inter web. I was an early bloomer, but not this early. She's not overweight at all, which is the other factor the internet says is linked to early puberty. She's healthy, strong, muscular (buns of steel we joke) but no excess body fat. 

Right now I'm alternating between cursing all the plastic plates/cups/etc we've used and shrugging and saying it's no big deal. 

Any thoughts? 

(She's not weirded out, we matter of factly talked about it, and I told her if they were sensitive, or she felt they showed too much in her shirts that we could get her some camisoles to wear under them. If not, no need. And we've discussed the next steps of puberty, hair growth, menstruation, etc. As soon as I assured her it was normal and just a sign of getting older she was fine with it.)

My daughter was not much past her 8th bday when she started developing breast buds.

At 9.5 she most definitely needs a bralette under her shirts - she said it feels very uncomfortable to just have nothing under her shirt. She's tall and slender for her age, so it became really noticeable very quickly and she was a bit self conscious at first.

I really wasn't ready for this to be happening this early!

I had one dd with breast buds at maybe 8 and a half--I was in denial, but the doctor confirmed it when she had her check up around her 9th birthday. Sister growing up under the same conditions was more like 12 or 13, so I think environmental influence is minimal. My sister and my mom both had early puberty, so it's in the gene pool. I was worried she would be incredibly short as she was only 4'6" at the time, but the doc said not to worry and she was right. Dd grew 7" over the next two years (I was so happy when she hit 5'0"). She didn't get her period until 12.5 and she topped out at 5'2". So in hindsight, no need to worry.

• Like 1

I took my youngest to the endocrinologist back in December and he felt buds that aren’t yet obvious visibly. After testing her hormones and finding she has not yet started puberty, he said it was probably environmental exposure. Apparently both lavender and tea tree can cause this and he told me to change what I use in her bath routine to eliminate those ingredients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t sound really outside of normal. I had them when I was 8, and first period at 10. I wasn’t overweight either. My mom was early, as was my grandmother. My sister wasn’t, though, and was 13 when she had a period. I think it’s more genetics than anything else. I grew until I was 11, but I was 5’7 in sixth grade.

What is her height and weight?

I THINK she's 51 inches and about 55 pounds, but not positive. i know she's always at the 50% for both height and weight when measured at the pediatrician's office. 

Reading, it seems that they are seeing a delay between breast buds and menses, so it is an average of 6 years now. So that would put menses for her just before 11 or around there, which doesn't seem so abnormal after all. I was 11 years old I think, possibly 10. 

• Like 1

My DD started budding at that age and I was very surprised as well... as she is small and very light for her age...I actually thought she would be delayed. However I found out it is quite common for girls to sprout buds at 8 and then have no further development for a while. Thats what happened to my DD...she had small buds for 3 years that were quite noticeable under her shirts and then at about 10.5 they started growing slowly and now she is 11.5 and they are still only half grown - she doesn't even wear a bra yet.  LOL. So your DD may still be a long way off developing fully. My DD was always the advanced developer though...she lost her first tooth at five and had lost the complete set and grown in all her adult ones including the 12 year old molars by the time she was 10 LOL.

Don't worry too much yet but if she seems to be developing really quickly into full bloom I would take her to the doctor. If it stays just buds I wouldn't bother..

Edited by sewingmama
  • Like 1

8/9ish for mine, but no periods until 13.  "Real bras" didn't come into play until a year or so before that. Neither of mine were or are overweight, but one has always been tall and thick, the other tiny in comparison. 

My 15yo is probably her full adult size, at around 5'7" and a size 9/9.5 shoe.  We could share dresses, but her pants are way too small for me, lol.

My 14yo may or may not be close to finished growing. She can't squeeze into kiddie clothes anymore, but she can share shoes with her 10yo brother, and it's hard to find junior sizes that suit her shape.  A 3 can be both too big and too small all at the same time. @@

Anyway, my point is that they're very different body types but had almost identical puberty progressions.

• Like 1

My youngest had buds around 8 years old, started her period just after her 10th birthday.   She was chunky at 7/8/9 years old but between her 9 year old physical and her 10 year old physical she grew 5 1/2 inches but only put on 1 pound.   She's currently about 61 inches and 102 pounds at 10 1/2 years old.

I wasn't surprised because I started my period at 9 years old.

I was 9 and very slim then, very slim now. Healthy, low-meat, very natural diet. PM me if you want to talk about kids, but basically, one kid is following her dad's family's path more, one is following my family's path more.

8 is not by any means out of the ordinary.

Coincidentally got into a conversation about this tonight. Very slender 7 year old we know started developing buds too..  The pediatrician dismissed it as epigenetic - she was slim, but mom was plus sized.  The pediatrician said there were multiple studies linking earlier puberty to the mom's weight before and during pregnancy.