Menu

What's with the ads?

Is Classical homeschooling becoming more popular and/or cliquish as far as groups in your area, or has it always been that way and I'm simply becoming more aware of it? And I'm not targeting CC by that question. 

I've been looking for general get together groups locally for my kids, and have had to broaden my area search. Suddenly everything seems labeled as Classical, but they have these very specific rules and groupings and formalities. I didn't notice that earlier in our journey, but perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place. I'd give anything for a group of eclectic people or CM or unschoolers or anything as long as they just cared about hanging out at a park and letting the kids play, rather than making sure I followed a prescriptive program and didn't let my kids listen to non-classical music.  :confused1: What gives?  I can't figure out what all these in and out groups have to do with labeling one's self as a Classical Homeschooler. 

• Like 1

Not where I have lived. In one place there was another lady doing CM with her kids and that was nice, but we were part of an open to anyone park day where we all shared whatever we wanted and talked about whatever. Where I live now, the scene as such is almost completely dominated by extroverted unschoolers who make things happen (organize trips and activities and classes) and they couldn't care less about what I am doing with my kids at home as long as we're nice. 

Now, I'd LOVE to have people irl who like to do the same kinds of school things as me, but the "being nice" thing is about a trillion times more important!

• Like 6

Is Classical homeschooling becoming more popular and/or cliquish as far as groups in your area, or has it always been that way and I'm simply becoming more aware of it? And I'm not targeting CC by that question. 

I've been looking for general get together groups locally for my kids, and have had to broaden my area search. Suddenly everything seems labeled as Classical, but they have these very specific rules and groupings and formalities. I didn't notice that earlier in our journey, but perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place. I'd give anything for a group of eclectic people or CM or unschoolers or anything as long as they just cared about hanging out at a park and letting the kids play, rather than making sure I followed a prescriptive program and didn't let my kids listen to non-classical music.  :confused1: What gives?  I can't figure out what all these in and out groups have to do with labeling one's self as a Classical Homeschooler. 

Jerks all over :( What a bummer.  At least where people want to divy themselves up into religious groups, you could go to church to find someone who thought along similar lines as you. Classical music only? Absurd. 

• Like 1

We moved this summer and the only groups around are co-op focused. My solution? I'm advertising to start a group focused on social activities, mom's night out, etc. I'll see how many people interested.

• Like 8

Not where I have lived. In one place there was another lady doing CM with her kids and that was nice, but we were part of an open to anyone park day where we all shared whatever we wanted and talked about whatever. Where I live now, the scene as such is almost completely dominated by extroverted unschoolers who make things happen (organize trips and activities and classes) and they couldn't care less about what I am doing with my kids at home as long as we're nice.

Now, I'd LOVE to have people irl who like to do the same kinds of school things as me, but the "being nice" thing is about a trillion times more important!

I randomly met another (non-judgy!) homeschool Mom and she told me about one of one of those Park days like you describe a couple of towns over so I’m hoping to try that next week. Apparently there is a paid membership web group- that isn’t philosophy dependent- you can join to find out about these things in this area......

• Like 1

We moved this summer and the only groups around are co-op focused. My solution? I'm advertising to start a group focused on social activities, mom's night out, etc. I'll see how many people interested.

Where are you advertising? I’m thinking of doing the same thing but I don’t know where to start. I’m not on FB. Are there other good places?

Good luck! Informal, but planned and regular, park days are the best. You kind of need a mild climate for it though. Where I live now, the outside is unbearable for like seven months a year ha.

• Like 1

My area is clique-y but not towards a classical bent. My area is unfortunately the crew who churns their own butter and clutches their hemp necklaces at the thought of their kids eating something out of a package. Good times. ;) 

I've seen things advertised on Meetup, FB and our area's big mass email newsletter thing. The library bulletin board might be a good option. :) 

• Like 11

Some of those groups have had to go underground somewhat... I know of one here where you have to know the right people and get invited. It is very open and relaxed, park days, mixed methods, they just had some issues with cliquiness trying to take over so they are careful now.

Homeschool groups are weird.

• Like 3

My area is clique-y but not towards a classical bent. My area is unfortunately the crew who churns their own butter and clutches their hemp necklaces at the thought of their kids eating something out of a package. Good times. ;)

I've seen things advertised on Meetup, FB and our area's big mass email newsletter thing. The library bulletin board might be a good option. :)

This made me choke on my drink! lol 

• Like 7

Sounds like Austin.  :lol:

• Like 4

Outside of CC, that’s the other clique here, too.

I think my area is heavily:

unschoolers

organic hobby farmers who run artsy day-camps from their homes

families that are part of a gazillion co-op classes and extracurricular activities

We don't fit into any of those categories.  We also occasionally (or more than) eat Happy Meals so it sometimes feels like we have the mark of Cain or something...

• Like 9

I think my area is heavily:

unschoolers

organic hobby farmers who run artsy day-camps from their homes

families that are part of a gazillion co-op classes and extracurricular activities

We don't fit into any of those categories.  We also occasionally (or more than) eat Happy Meals so it sometimes feels like we have the mark of Cain or something...

LOL--- I got to experience this over the summer, but they weren't homeschoolers. After a dance camp with our 4 year olds, another Mom and I suggested meeting up with the others at McDonald's and the other mothers were all..... :eek:  :willy_nilly: .....one Mom asked me if I realized I was feeding my child fake food by going there, another told us there were chemicals in the bread and they would NEVER EVER allow their children to eat from that place. Needless to say we did not invite them to hang out again after that. 

• Like 2

LOL--- I got to experience this over the summer, but they weren't homeschoolers. After a dance camp with our 4 year olds, another Mom and I suggested meeting up with the others at McDonald's and the other mothers were all..... :eek:  :willy_nilly: .....one Mom asked me if I realized I was feeding my child fake food by going there, another told us there were chemicals in the bread and they would NEVER EVER allow their children to eat from that place. Needless to say we did not invite them to hang out again after that. 

:lol:  :001_rolleyes:  :001_rolleyes:  :001_rolleyes:  :001_rolleyes:  :001_rolleyes:  :001_rolleyes:  

Just say no, thanks, dimwits!

• Like 5

I wish there was a nice group here that would let us join. It's all statement of faith people hrre and well, according to them, we aren't the right kind/Christian enough. I had one mom I met at the library who steered herself and kids away from me and mine when she asked what church we went to.

The one group that was started for homeschoolers of my religion fell apart after some pretty serious drama. I don't like co-ops or groups because we never fit in. I have the 2 NT kids and the one ASD kid plus baby. Even the special needs group didn;t work for us because apparently my son isn't special needs enough. And I swear the moms were SN, too! I tried to get some to chat but they were all one word responses.

How about some WTM'ers in Northwest Houston area? I'm game for park days, mom night outs, etc..

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 5

I wish there was a nice group here that would let us join. It's all statement of faith people hrre and well, according to them, we aren't the right kind/Christian enough. I had one mom I met at the library who steered herself and kids away from me and mine when she asked what church we went to.

The one group that was started for homeschoolers of my religion fell apart after some pretty serious drama. I don't like co-ops or groups because we never fit in. I have the 2 NT kids and the one ASD kid plus baby. Even the special needs group didn;t work for us because apparently my son isn't special needs enough. And I swear the moms were SN, too! I tried to get some to chat but they were all one word responses.

How about some WTM'ers in Northwest Houston area? I'm game for park days, mom night outs, etc..

I wish you weren't so far! I'd so take you up on that. I went up to Spring last week though- or Cypress maybe? Up off of 249 and Grand Parkway whatever that is, and it took me 2.5 hours to get home. :(  I think I've driven to Austin faster before. Beltway traffic was horrible! 

*hug* to all of you searching for your people. It makes me happy to be where I am because my issue is I cannot decide what great events to do. I attend a homeschool umbrella a couple times per week while our kids take great classes and play with friends while we all commiserate. It is a total blessing. However, there is a small part of me that would love a pseudo classical group of moms who love classical curriculum and education as much as I do. Nothing extreme or pyramid schemey, just to have some peers that school like us. We have met a few but everyone I know is fairly diverse in how they do things.

• Like 1

:lol: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes:

Just say no, thanks, dimwits!

"We're going out for lunch soon after but we could grab some juice and coffee, sure! Thanks!"

Crisis averted! Holy cow some people have no social grace.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 4

"We're going out for lunch soon after but we could grab some juice and coffee, sure! Thanks!"

Crisis averted! Holy cow some people have no social grace.

Exactly.

There is some social shaming that seems to be viewed as ok to do lately. Fast food shaming is one of them. It is rude and tacky.

• Like 3

I'm south of Houston.  If you start something I would be interested!  I'm having a hard time finding any park days or groups for my little ones (4&5).  I'm on the verge of joining CC just for the community aspect.  

I'm south of Houston.  If you start something I would be interested!  I'm having a hard time finding any park days or groups for my little ones (4&5).  I'm on the verge of joining CC just for the community aspect.  

I'll PM you.

Alright- you're reading it here first. I'm going to organize park day meet up for the South/Southwest side of the greater Houston area. It will most likely be somewhere in Pearland as that's fairly central. Date/Time/Location TBD. 

PM me if you're interested and as I figure this out I'll get you more info. I'm x-posting on the Networking board. 

I want to make it clear- this is open to ALL. It won't be limited by homeschooling style, church attendance, group membership or anything else. I know we tend to bag on Classical Conversations here, but this isn't excluding anyone who is a member of CC. If you're in CC and are interested, you're welcome!!  If you're an unschooler, you're welcome. You don't have to be Classically educating. You don't have to be a certain religious persuasion. I want something for those of us who don't fit a box, don't want to/can't afford to pay for a membership, and/or don't want to have to sign up for an ideology in exchange for a homeschooling community. 

The one thing it won't be though is a FaceBook group. I don't do FaceBook. :) But I'll figure something else out. Bear with me while I sort through the logistics! 

• Like 7

Alright- you're reading it here first. I'm going to organize park day meet up for the South/Southwest side of the greater Houston area. It will most likely be somewhere in Pearland as that's fairly central. Date/Time/Location TBD.

PM me if you're interested and as I figure this out I'll get you more info. I'm x-posting on the Networking board.

I want to make it clear- this is open to ALL. It won't be limited by homeschooling style, church attendance, group membership or anything else. I know we tend to bag on Classical Conversations here, but this isn't excluding anyone who is a member of CC. If you're in CC and are interested, you're welcome!! If you're an unschooler, you're welcome. You don't have to be Classically educating. You don't have to be a certain religious persuasion. I want something for those of us who don't fit a box, don't want to/can't afford to pay for a membership, and/or don't want to have to sign up for an ideology in exchange for a homeschooling community.

The one thing it won't be though is a FaceBook group. I don't do FaceBook. :) But I'll figure something else out. Bear with me while I sort through the logistics!

That’s awesome. If we ever end up in Houston (likely with my husband’s job) I hope to be able to join you all.
  • Like 1

There are groups around and inside Houston that don't care what kind of homeschooling you do and what religion (if any) you are. A few are FB based, but some are on Meetup. I'd be happy to share any ideas via PM.

Edited by darshana
  • Like 1

I think often when people leave one system/community (public school) they may not be as sure of themselves as they think they are. They need to have their decisions validated by others, and take their cues from others (versus studying out and trying out what is best for their situation). Enter the homeschool clique, exclusive tenets/ statement of faith, etc, and what, for all intents and purposes, leads to the same standardization they left simply in a different form. For those who are at heart mavericks, who still want community but also still are averse to standardization/rules/one-path-to-the-goal, these cliques are the worst. This is why I do not follow WTM very closely, why I left my co-op when it became a TJEd Commonwealth, and why though there are things about CC I like I won't touch it with a 10 ft pole.

• Like 1