Menu

This year's flu is scary but confusing. What advice are you hearing?

6packofun

So, my husband is on his way right now to pick up our daughter from work; she's being sent home because she is sick to her stomach, lightheaded, and had diarrhea (not sure she disclosed that to her boss, lol).

Around here, we keep hearing on the news to go see the dr. at the first sign of flu.  A local newswoman died suddenly from the flu or complications of the flu after having just "a slight cough and not feeling well" according to her husband.  Ummm, if that's all it takes to need to rush to the dr. isn't everyone going to be going at some point this winter???

What do doctors DO for you if your symptoms are mild?  Some of these people dying seem like they have a cold and then are in the hospital and dead within 24-48 hours.  And saying no Tamiflu for certain people.  I don't get it!  But I don't want to be that poor parent who doesn't do enough.  It's very confusing to me and as someone who does NOT usually take kids to the dr. for a cold or even flu as long as the person can hold down liquids and isn't listless, etc. I feel unsure this season.

What advice are you being given about this?  (I'm really not super stressed, but now that dd is coming home possibly sick I want INFO.  Going to CDC website now...)

• Like 2

Typically, the flu isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t a stomach bug. There are lots of things going around right now, so it sounds like your dd has something other than the flu. Usually the flu is fever, cough, feeling achy, etc.

I am not a doctor, but I would take my child to the dr if they were acting really lethargic or having trouble breathing or getting worse. I guess if I thought they had the flu and wanted to get them tamiflu I would bring them in earlier. We have never been offered tamiflu (my kids all were over 2 when they had it and are generally healthy..but that was 2 years ago so things may have changed).

• Like 8

IDK.  I think my oldest had the flu right after Christmas.  She had a fever/lethargy for a couple of days, followed by a horrible cold/cough.  We didn't go in...we maybe should've?  But we were traveling during the worst of it, so I figured it'd be too late by the time we got home.  She steadily improved and was fine after a week or so.  Honestly, though, I've not seen any info about people dying suddenly from the flu so that's probably a good thing (I would've been freaked, probably).

• Like 1

I would take someone with flu symptoms to the doctor if they were experiencing:

trouble breathing or shortness of breath

fever that doesn't respond to medication

something feeling "wrong"

I would take someone with gastro symptoms to the doctor if they were experiencing:

lasts more than three days

can't keep anything down after 24 hours

severe vomiting

Calling the doctor is always a good option. They can help you figure out if it's time to go in or not.

• Like 6

So, my husband is on his way right now to pick up our daughter from work; she's being sent home because she is sick to her stomach, lightheaded, and had diarrhea (not sure she disclosed that to her boss, lol).

Around here, we keep hearing on the news to go see the dr. at the first sign of flu.  A local newswoman died suddenly from the flu or complications of the flu after having just "a slight cough and not feeling well" according to her husband.  Ummm, if that's all it takes to need to rush to the dr. isn't everyone going to be going at some point this winter???

What do doctors DO for you if your symptoms are mild?  Some of these people dying seem like they have a cold and then are in the hospital and dead within 24-48 hours.  And saying no Tamiflu for certain people.  I don't get it!  But I don't want to be that poor parent who doesn't do enough.  It's very confusing to me and as someone who does NOT usually take kids to the dr. for a cold or even flu as long as the person can hold down liquids and isn't listless, etc. I feel unsure this season.

What advice are you being given about this?  (I'm really not super stressed, but now that dd is coming home possibly sick I want INFO.  Going to CDC website now...)

We must live in the same area.  The story about the young local newswoman is so sad and scary.  Like you, it makes me wonder what to do if someone comes down with symptoms since we would normally not go to the doctor for flu symptoms until they became severe. I'm at the point where I just want us to hibernate at home until flu season is over, but that's not possible.    

I hope your dd feels better soon.  

I might liken the flu to a getting-hit-by-a-truck feeling, more full-body than a stomach bug.

Why would someone go to the dr at the first sign of the flu - just for Tamiflu?  I believe that more dangerous symptoms, such as breathing and hydration problems, would need to be present for the doc to have any treatment to offer (besides Tamiflu).

FWIW, there are issues with Tamiflu, e.g. banned in Japan for pediatric use.  (For my kids with immune system and neuropsychiatric issues, it is way off the table.)

Edited by wapiti

Like you I wouldn't know exactly where to draw the line. We don't go to the doctor for the vast majority of things.  We've definitely heard all over the news how this is a very bad flu year for actual numbers and deaths, though I'm unsure if the deaths is due to the higher numbers or if it's statistically higher too.

I guess I'm in the camp of "glad I got my flu shot to help, glad I don't normally get the flu anyway, and pray that we all stay safe."

I've been teaching literally right behind teachers who've had the flu (tested flu) and haven't had even an ounce of illness, so so far, all is ok here.

I hope your dd is ok.

• Like 1

Typically, the flu isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t a stomach bug. There are lots of things going around right now, so it sounds like your dd has something other than the flu. Usually the flu is fever, cough, feeling achy, etc.

I am not a doctor, but I would take my child to the dr if they were acting really lethargic or having trouble breathing or getting worse. I guess if I thought they had the flu and wanted to get them tamiflu I would bring them in earlier. We have never been offered tamiflu (my kids all were over 2 when they had it and are generally healthy..but that was 2 years ago so things may have changed).

Typically, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m the one going around and correcting people when they call a stomach virus the flu, however, ddĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s boyfriend, his mom, and my best friend have all had confirmed influenza A and they all 3 started with stomach symptoms, then transitioned into the typical high fever/cough/body aches. So at least with this strain, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s totally possible.

My 2 girls both caught it, but had some vaccine protection and had much milder symptoms with no stomach involvement.

• Like 4

To the OP, my girls got it before the sepsis reports started rolling in. We just did our usual virus care routine, no dr. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t love the idea of Tamiflu, but I would consider going in for it. My family was vaccinated and I think that is helping to keep the severity down. If I was in the position of having non-vaccinated kids and one of them caught something today, I would probably take them in for a Flu swab and only give tamiflu if they had a confirmed case.

With my vaccinated kids, I would probably do normal virus care but keep a closer eye on them.

I got the flu the week before Christmas. It started with a runny nose and slight cough and within hours I was really sick. I had a horrible headache, chills, severe neck and shoulder aches, runny nose, congestion, cough, sneezing. I went to bed and didn't get up for two days. I barely ate or drank either. A few days after Christmas, dh had it too. We are both feeling better now, but we still can't get rid of the chest congestion and cough! Almost everyone I know has been sick this year and two of my friends have been hospitalized. There have been many people reporting stomach issues along with flu symptoms so I'm not sure if it's part of this flu or something else going around that affects people who are already weak. The stories of healthy teens and children dying within days of getting ill are really scary!

• Like 3

I'm sorry about your dd. I'd take her to the doctor. The recommendation around here is to go in early.

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/doctors-urge-residents-not-to-ignore-flu-symptoms-following-orlando-mans-death/685964517

I'm concerned for my niece. She and her family didn't get the vaccine. Now her 8 month old baby and her 83 yo grandmother who lives with them both have the flu. She also has 9yo twins who so far aren't sick. She just told me her grandmother is in the ER. I hope after this year they decide to get everyone vaccinated. 

I guess I'm in the camp of "glad I got my flu shot to help, glad I don't normally get the flu anyway, and pray that we all stay safe."

Same here. We rarely used to get the flu but the last time we did get it was the last time we wanted to. We've been getting the vaccine ever since. Even if we end up with the flu at least it will be milder than if we weren't vaccinated.

• Like 1

Typically, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m the one going around and correcting people when they call a stomach virus the flu, however, ddĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s boyfriend, his mom, and my best friend have all had confirmed influenza A and they all 3 started with stomach symptoms, then transitioned into the typical high fever/cough/body aches. So at least with this strain, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s totally possible.

One flu strain going around does start with gastro symptoms.  My husband had a stomach bug and while he was really sick for a couple days, it clearly was not flu since it was just tummy stuff and a low fever.

They are encouraging people to go in quickly if they suspect flu so they can be tested for it in the first 24 or so hours because Tamiflu for people who can use it works well.

This flu season is definitely scary.

We have had some luck with Elderberry syrup this year after reading about it on these forums. It did not work for me unfortunately, as I was laid out on the couch for a week with the flu. However my kids and husband took it at the first sniffle as indicated (3-4 times a day) and no one else caught it despite being with me all week. I am officially a convert. It wouldn't hurt to keep some on hand and try it at the first sign of the flu in your family. In some small studies, it appeared to be as effective as Tamiflu. I was rather impressed. I was sure we were all going down!

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20031222/elderberry-fights-flu-symptoms#1

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 5

DS2 spiked a 102 fever last night.  This morning it was 103 and his throat hurt.  No other symptoms, no congestion.

Having seen the tragic story of the girl in Colorado who died after being misdiagnosed with flu (it was strep, untreated), I wanted to get a strep test done asap, so I took him to a clinic down the street this morning.  Negative for flu, negative rapid strep.  (They are testing everyone who comes in with any fever or congestion for flu.)  They are sending out the other swab for the longer strep test. So, probably just a random virus.  

The doctor told me to watch for tiredness or rapid or painful breathing, and to have him seen again if anything gets worse.  

For myself, I felt a little weird yesterday.  I have been hitting zinc/EmergenC/vitamin D3 hard.  I feel better today. 

Edited by laundrycrisis
  • Like 1

My husband had the flu and we went in for tamiflu. My understanding is that tamiflu can only be given in the first 72 hours and is more effective the sooner you start it. Our whole family was prescribed it because we have 2 higher risk people in the family. I'm glad we did now that it's turning out to be so deadly.

To limit exposure , the doctors in my state are being advised to just call in prescriptions now, without requiring a visit.

• Like 1

DS2 spiked a 102 fever last night. This morning it was 103 and his throat hurt. No other symptoms, no congestion.

Having seen the tragic story of the girl in Colorado who died after being misdiagnosed with flu (it was strep, untreated), I wanted to get a strep test done asap, so I took him to a clinic down the street this morning. Negative for flu, negative rapid strep. (They are testing everyone who comes in with any fever or congestion for flu.) They are sending out the other swab for the longer strep test. So, probably just a random virus.

The doctor told me to watch for tiredness or rapid or painful breathing, and to have him seen again if anything gets worse.

My sonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s classroom has had an outbreak of strep. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m with you- I would want both swabs.

The dominant flu strain this year (H3N2) is really bad; it's related to the 1918 pandemic strain and the 2009 swine flu, it's prone to cause complications that can get bad quickly, and the current vaccine is not very effective against it.

I have an elderly relative who lives in an assisted living facility nearby, and they had so many residents and staff sick that they were on full quarantine for 2 weeks, with hospital-level sterilization measures, residents not allowed to leave their rooms (meals and meds were brought in), etc. And pretty much everyone who lives or works there had had the flu shot.

It's really scary this year.   :sad:

• Like 2

I think some of the increased severity is coming from a few things:

1. It's primarily Influenza A strains (H3N2) that people are infected with.  H3N2 mutates pretty quickly as it moves through the population, and it's hard to get a good match to it.  In addition, it's hard to grow strains in egg cultures with H3N2. (Still, vaccines help!) Australia was hit pretty hard during their winter, and this year was expected to be more severe for the US as a result.

2. Most people here in the US have not been exposed before, so there's not much immunity in the population---so it's doing what viruses do in novel situations--mowing everybody down with it. If a lot of people have novel exposures this year, there shouldn't be as much severity next year (even though the virus mutates quickly). 

3. We have more vulnerable people out in society than we have had historically.  Pre-modern medicine, some of them would not have survived their initial illnesses, iywkim.  There's a reason that the elderly, chronically ill, and children have higher risks of complications.

• Like 2

I don't understand the idea of going to the doctor for fatigue in flu. I've never had flu that didn't involve extreme fatigue. And Tamiflu is extremely expensive for relatively little help for most people.

My family had flu a number of years ago. The first person infected was tested, positive A strain, within a few hours of showing symptoms and prescribed Tamiflu. Two more got sick that night, and all of non-Tamiflu (3 of us), started Sambucol.

I never had symptoms, but stayed on Sambucol as a preventative given I was living with and caring for 3 with flu. My husband and other son on Sambucol had a shorter duration than the one on Tamiflu. My only hesitation is that in some years you can have a cytocine (I think that's it/probably wrong spelling) storm, and stimulating the immune system is a bad idea in those cases.

I don't think this is one of those years in terms of strain, so I am seriously considering doing some Sambucol as a preventative, and I will definitely start it if anyone shows symptoms. I can't get Sambucol locally, though. It has sold out. I had to order online. 

Lots and lots of people get flu and don't have any complications. The statistics are on all of our sides in that respect. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

Rabbit trail: For anyone interested making your own elderberry syrup and or tincture. I personally use the tincture and it knocks everything out. My kids prefer the syrup, of course. 

http://deeprootsathome.com/its-elderberry-time-making-cough-syrup-and-tincture/

You can make a quart of it for roughly the same price as a bottle of Sambucol.

ETA: The syrup can be made in a few hours. The tincture takes a minimum of  a few weeks so you can get some brewing now. I keep a bottle soaking year-round.

Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 10

My girls and I had gotten the flu shot back in September as they both are in a classroom and I volunteer at my youngestĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s school. DS I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t bother with since he doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do any B&M schooling.

But we were just at the PediatricianĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s office this morning to get antibiotics for a PANS flare-up. The doctor, who is normally pretty laid-back about vaccines (one reason we chose her) was very strongly encouraging me to have him get the flu shot this year even if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not very good. She said her vaccinated patients have a much lower rate of serious complications even though they are still getting sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't understand the idea of going to the doctor for fatigue in flu. 

To ward off complications. Some insurance companies cover Tamiflu so it's not expensive for everyone. To be on the safe side. A dear friend from high school lost her husband due to flu complications. He was 40 years old. A homeschool mom I know lost a dear friend to the flu a few years ago. She used to be anti-flu vaccine until she lost someone. 

The flu can kill. Going to the doctor early on can often prevent it from doing so. Why not go?

I recognize that I'm speaking from privilege as someone who pays a $20 copay to see a doctor, but if I didn't have ins. I'd do whatever it takes to make a visit affordable. I'd rather not take a chance.

• Like 3

But we were just at the PediatricianĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s office this morning to get antibiotics for a PANS flare-up.

FWIW, the flu shot is not an uncommon trigger for PANS flares. That doesn't mean it'll happen of course, but just FYI (Eta, pans is the wild west). Good luck with the antibiotics!

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

I don't understand the idea of going to the doctor for fatigue in flu. I've never had flu that didn't involve extreme flu. And Tamiflu is extremely expensive for relatively little help for most people.

My family had flu a number of years ago. The first person infected was tested, positive A strain, within a few hours of showing symptoms and prescribed Tamiflu. Two more got sick that night, and all of non-Tamiflu (3 of us), started Sambucol.

I never had symptoms, but stayed on Sambucol as a preventative given I was living with and caring for 3 with flu. My husband and other son on Sambucol had a shorter duration than the one on Tamiflu. My only hesitation is that in some years you can have a cytocine (I think that's it/probably wrong spelling) storm, and stimulating the immune system is a bad idea in those cases.

I don't think this is one of those years in terms of strain, so I am seriously considering doing some Sambucol as a preventative, and I will definitely start it if anyone shows symptoms. I can't get Sambucol locally, though. It has sold out. I had to order online.

Lots and lots of people get flu and don't have any complications. The statistics are on all of our sides in that respect.

The doctors believe that on the case of the 21 year old who died, the cytokine storm is precisely what happened. Be careful.

We don't often go for things like that.  It's a hold-over from coming from a medical family.  We sometimes joke that as kids, my sisters and I would be really terrified if we were taken to the doctor, because we knew we must be on death's door.

Anyway - I tend to agree with the things a lot of people have mentioned - breathing problems, feel with neck stiffness, fever with certain other symptoms or that doesn't go down for several days.

As far as the new lady - I'm not sure there is anything people can do to prevent that kind of thing.  Sometimes we get caught up in this idea that if we just do everything we are supposed to, we will never have things like that happen.  But - it's just not true.

• Like 2

My 2 girls both caught it, but had some vaccine protection and had much milder symptoms with no stomach involvement.

Yes, my kids got strain A and both had major nausea/vomiting. 

I took ds to the doc when his temp was 104 with ibuprofen and going up, and he could not keep any liquids down at all.

They gave him Zofran for the nausea and Tamiflu. He was sick for a week and exhausted with a terrible cough for another week. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

FWIW, the flu shot is not an uncommon trigger for PANS flares. That doesn't mean it'll happen of course, but just FYI (Eta, pans is the wild west). Good luck with the antibiotics!

She seemed to do ok with the shot last fall. This flare-up appears to be related to a UTI she had a few weeks ago. Hoping that Zithromax will help.

Her brother is the one the pediatrician recommended getting vaccinated. Knock on wood, he's healthy.

• Like 1

Wash your hands.

Take vitamin D.

Eat healthfully (specifically, avoid sugar).

Exercise regularly.

Don't touch your face when out in public.

Avoid large group settings if possible (church, movie theaters, etc.).

Avoid eating in restaurants, particularly buffets/cafeterias.

Those are 7 helpful things you can do, according to my immunologist.

If you have any type of autoimmune dysfunction, elderberry is NOT recommended.

• Like 8

If you have any type of autoimmune dysfunction, elderberry is NOT recommended.

Can you say more about this? As in having any autoimmune disease or a more specific dysfunctions? And why? Assuming it will overstimulate the immune system?

I have Celiac but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s controlled by not eating gluten. Does avoiding Elderberry apply to me? What about Thyroid?

Edited by LarlaB
  • Like 1

I read some things recently about Tamiflu causing hallucinations and other awful side effects. Studies show that at best it shortens the symptoms 12-24 hours. It would not be worth the risk, IMO.

I am not really worried about it. We do vit c, vit D, elderberry syrup, etc and thankfully no one has been sick.

My understanding is celiac disease would be ok, but elderberry/echinacea/any stimulant is bad with Hashimoto's and other diseases driven by an overly active immune system.  Immunomodulators (like ashwagandha and astralgus) have a mixed report, based on what I've read, but that's not the specific point we're talking about here.  

Not everyone is well versed on the use of elderberry, and even the experts disagree.  There are few studies out there, but the point above about cytokine storms is a very valid one and a real issue that hasn't gotten as much medical press as it should.  This is an older study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11399518  but it can start you down the rabbit hole of research if it's something that interests you.

• Like 1

My understanding is celiac disease would be ok, but elderberry/echinacea/any stimulant is bad with Hashimoto's and other diseases driven by an overly active immune system. Immunomodulators (like ashwagandha and astralgus) have a mixed report, based on what I've read, but that's not the specific point we're talking about here.

Not everyone is well versed on the use of elderberry, and even the experts disagree. There are few studies out there, but the point above about cytokine storms is a very valid one and a real issue that hasn't gotten as much medical press as it should. This is an older study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11399518 but it can start you down the rabbit hole of research if it's something that interests you.

Thanks! I have a host of food and environmental allergies (some uncontrolled) and Celiac. A close friend has Thyroid (hypo) so I was curious for both our sales.

Honestly IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m never quite sure if strengthening my immune system is a good thing whereas antiviral treatments are more effective. It feels like strengthening a hyper active malfunctioning guard dog. Lots of spastic barking but little bite.

I'm sorry about your dd. I'd take her to the doctor. The recommendation around here is to go in early.

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/doctors-urge-residents-not-to-ignore-flu-symptoms-following-orlando-mans-death/685964517

I'm concerned for my niece. She and her family didn't get the vaccine. Now her 8 month old baby and her 83 yo grandmother who lives with them both have the flu. She also has 9yo twins who so far aren't sick. She just told me her grandmother is in the ER. I hope after this year they decide to get everyone vaccinated.

Same here. We rarely used to get the flu but the last time we did get it was the last time we wanted to. We've been getting the vaccine ever since. Even if we end up with the flu at least it will be milder than if we weren't vaccinated.

The vaccine this year is only estimated 10% effective, so everyone needs to be careful. Wash your hands frequently, and stay away from anyone coughing. Disinfect your work area and your sinks at home regularly. If you're sick, please stay home.

/PSA

• Like 1

Rabbit trail: For anyone interested making your own elderberry syrup and or tincture. I personally use the tincture and it knocks everything out. My kids prefer the syrup, of course.

http://deeprootsathome.com/its-elderberry-time-making-cough-syrup-and-tincture/

You can make a quart of it for roughly the same price as a bottle of Sambucol.

ETA: The syrup can be made in a few hours. The tincture takes a minimum of a few weeks so you can get some brewing now. I keep a bottle soaking year-round.

Where do you buy your elderberries? Are they organic? IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m getting mixed reviews from the places IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m checking online and would like to get them from a good source. Thanks for any details you have!

Where do you buy your elderberries? Are they organic? IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m getting mixed reviews from the places IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m checking online and would like to get them from a good source. Thanks for any details you have!

I get Frontier organic from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVUHXY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

This bag will make several batches.

Incidentally, I live in an area where they grow wild, but people are secretive about the spots and I haven't found them yet.  :glare:

Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 1

I need small, simple words. Is this at all a somewhat accurate, albeit very simplified, summary of what I'm reading above and trying to understand?

If not, could someone correct/expand for me, please?

So some people with the flu develop a cytokine storm, in which their immune system, in a misguided attempt to fight the virus, goes into a (potentially lethal) loop/spiral of overactivity.

Elderberry/sambucol is widely regarded as a beneficial immune-system builder.

But because of that very immune (building) response, there is concern that for

a) people with influenza, elderberry could actually incite that cytokine storm

and

b) people who already have auto-immune disorders, elderberry could activate unnecessary immune reaction and create more auto-immune issues.

• Like 3

I had to take my youngest to the ER a number of years ago because he had complication from the flu.  He had a 104 fever that wasn't going down with medication and breathing difficulty.  He was hospitalized overnight.  I was recovering from the flu at the time.  It was pretty obvious that he needed to be seen.

Now, at the advice of his doctor, if he shows signs of the flu we can call and get Tamniflu for him.  He is more at risk for complications due to asthma.

I called his doctor last winter because his older brother got the flu and both youngest and oldest started to show symptoms.  The doctor talked to me over the phone and prescribed the Tamniflu for oldest and youngest because they both have asthma. They recovered much faster than their brother who didn't take it.  I would do the same again this year.  They will not prescribe it for middle kid because he is not in a high risk category.

I am really trying to stay home more and am nervous about going out in group settings.  Youth group is especially nerve wracking because many kids will show up sick and my kids end up getting a lot of stuff that is going around.

I need small, simple words. Is this at all a somewhat accurate, albeit very simplified, summary of what I'm reading above and trying to understand?

If not, could someone correct/expand for me, please?

So some people with the flu develop a cytokine storm, in which their immune system, in a misguided attempt to fight the virus, goes into a (potentially lethal) loop/spiral of overactivity.

Elderberry/sambucol is widely regarded as a beneficial immune-system builder.

But because of that very immune (building) response, there is concern that for

a) people with influenza, elderberry could actually incite that cytokine storm

and

b) people who already have auto-immune disorders, elderberry could activate unnecessary immune reaction and create more auto-immune issues.

I think this is a very good, basic summary.

While I don't know anything about the website, it's authors, or anything like that, this blog post gave a very good summary of the flu and cytokine storm.

• Like 3

Flu A is primarily respiratory but can have intestinal symptoms such as nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting. Flu B is primarily intestinal with vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, and diarrhea.

Flu A is the dominant circulating virus this year, but the pediatric nurse told me she has also seen Flu B in the last few weeks.

If you can't get tamiflu, then stock up on Sambucol/elderberry syrup.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1

I have elderberry tincture I've made from elderberries from Mountain Rose Herbs. But I buy a lot of bulk herbs off Amazon now from Frontier and really like their quality.

• Like 1