Menu

Shormann Algebra I/Geometry - Reservations?

It's been a while since I've posted anything here since my children are both in college now (ds-junior, dd-sophomore), but this has always been my go-to forum for great advice, experience, and opinions.

I will be tutoring a freshman who is supposed to be starting Algebra I with Shormann Math. His mom gave me access to the account and I have spent the last 3-4 days becoming familiar with the program. I have read the documentation of its success if the program is followed EXACTLY AS WRITTEN. I have reservations about using the program for a number of reasons and hope to get input from those here who have used it (successfully and unsuccessfully).

FYI: I read the one thread already in this forum about SM and agree with all of the one extensive review that posted. Some of my reservations repeat that, but I am looking for more current input since the program was very new at the time.

1) SO MUCH information SO QUICKLY - This is my biggest problem. It's not just that it's a lot of information quickly, but it's not presented in a traditional algebra sequence. WHY trigonometry and calculus concepts when you've barely learned how to express something algebraically? I'm not totally opposed to introducing either of these in Algebra I, but it seems like there needs to be a better foundation first. (Seriously...working with imaginary numbers already? Many students have trouble in the beginning with just the abstract nature of a variable and this is asking them to understand the abstract of an abstract?)

2) Not enough PRACTICE - I get that this is a spiral program and new concepts will be practiced daily, but I'm not convinced there's enough practice of new concepts. I prefer programs where the bulk of practice is the new concept and there are just a few review problems. Also, new concept problems build on old concepts and you are practicing them inherently.

3) New concepts and their examples often skip steps and/or the reasoning for steps. OR he will say, "You should remember how to do this from Example X" but not repeat what it is. I get that you can go back to that example in the video or the notes, but realistically only the most disciplined student is going to do that. I believe they need to see and hear the repetition from the teacher.

4) In a similar way, students are asked to string together multiple new concepts almost immediately without the benefit of issues raised in #2 and #3 above.

5) In the introductory geometry lessons the student is told that if figures look similar or congruent they are to assume that they are. WHAT? I have always seen that you are NEVER to ASSUME something like that from the way a figure looks. (e.g., If lines appear to intersect, that's not a trick. But just because two lines look parallel, that must be proven unless GIVEN.)

6) I do wonder about the learning styles and aptitudes of the test group...

I have been told that the student I am tutoring is good with concepts but that his fluency is lacking. I plan to go through some basic review with him today to assess that and then make some recommendations before we start. I am not looking forward to tutoring/teaching from this curriculum and if the mom is willing I might suggest some other options. Shormann accounts can be put on hold for a time and that might be a temporary solution. I just feel like for a struggling student with some learning challenges that SM might be overload.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Pamela Freeman

Edited by Pamela in VA
  • Like 1

We use the Shormann videos as a supplement to Saxon advanced math. I've not tried it independently. I think it might be hard to tutor unless you are following along yourself. I notice if I let my dd work independently too long and then try to jump in and help I get confused trying to pull all the information together from several scattered lessons. The answer key does tell you what lesson to look at though. I'm not sure how that would work with the video course.

• Like 1

I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me.

I think this is a fairly new program.   There are videos that go with Saxon math are done by Dr Shormann, but now he has a new program that is actually an online math program.

We are looking into it for next year, but not sure what we think right now.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...