Menu

Anyone have a Hyundai Elantra

Teresa in MO

My dd needs a new car.  She is in her last semester of an OTA program at the local community college.  She is driving a 2003 Honda Accord with over 300K miles on it and it is having issues and is no longer dependable.  We were hoping it would last until she finishes in May, but she is going into some bad areas for her clinical and I am not comfortable that she does not have a dependable car.  She qualified for a loan on a 2015 Hyundai Elantra that is a really good price, and has six years left on the warranty.  I am just not used to my dc getting loans on cars at her age.  (She is 21)  My late dh was a Chrysler mechanic years ago and could do maintenance and repairs on our vehicles.  So, my kids bought older cars with low miles that were in good shape, but might have minor issues down the road.  We never had to take our cars to a mechanic to be fixed.  Saved lots of money.  But, that is no longer the case.  I have a ds who is able to do repairs, but he is newly married, a child on the way, and lives 40 minutes away.  He is more than willing to do whatever we need, but I am not going to burden him.  So, I am looking for information on Hyundai Elantras.  Likes, dislikes?

No experience with the Elantra but we will be in a similar situation with our young adult needing a reliable, practical, affordable car and we are also looking at the Elantra.

My dh has a long commute and purchased a 2014 Hyundai Sonata a couple years ago. He has racked up the miles on it and it has been very reliable and good on gas. So, the Hyundai experience has been good for us so far.

My husband has been driving an Elantra since 2014. He really likes it. Very dependable... no issues so far.

I actually ended up with an Elantra as a rental after I was in an accident. Dh drove it for a couple of days, decided it was exactly the commuter he wanted and went and bought one - while I was still driving the rental, so for a couple of weeks we had two identical Elantras in our garage!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not an Elantra, but we have a Hyundai Santa Fe that is 14 yrs old and still going strong. MymDD drives it now, so I am not sure of the mileage, but it is over 175,000. We did not use the warranty at all because there was no need. Most issues since have been maintenance stuff. The biggest repair we have ever had was about 4 yrs ago on the AC.

If I was ever going to buy a new car (or finance a slightly used car) I would not hesitate to get a Hyundai.

I bought mine new in 2010.  It has about 75,000 miles on it.  Originally it filled a very specific need (price, size, color, and sold by the one salesman who wasn't a DB when we were looking)

I love my car.  It has needed minor repairs over the years, nothing major.  Usually things that need to be done on most cars (like replacing belts).  I finally took it to a dealership this past year since we got recall notices when we were in places where there were no dealerships.  They have been outstanding.  I've taken it back for other repairs I wouldn't usually take it to a dealership for because the service is great and they have always been at least as affordable, if not more, than other repair shops.  Originally we were going to look at a Subaru when it came time to replace it, but I'm seriously considering another Hyundai. 

One of the draws for me was the larger back seat.  It's not huge, not by a long shot.  But I have issues with the constant shrinking going on and overlapping seatbelt mess car companies are doing now.  If I wanted unusable space I'd buy a Smart car.  I needed something where a 6ft tall person could sit comfortable in the back.  The Elantra fits that.  I needed something where I could put 3 car seats across, even if the middle one has to be narrow.  It works.  I've got 3 tether anchors, unlike in a minivan, and storage space in the back still.

My one dislike is minor.  I want my next car to have a 4 way adjustment for the driver's seat.  That's all.

• Like 1

We have 2 Elantras.  Dh's has 284,000 miles on it and has been the best car we've ever owned.  Ds bought one with 120,000 miles on it for a thousand bucks and has put about another 15k on it with only one major repair due to it just being old.  He loves it.  I have no experience with newer Elantras, but our 2001 and 2003 have been awesome.  We would buy another one in a heartbeat, and may later this year.

I drove my first Elantra for around 12 years. It was fantastic. I can’t temembwr how many miles it had on it, but plenty.

We bought my son a 2013 new and I am now driving a 2017 myself. I consider them to be fantastic commuter vehicles. Reliable, great on gas, with HUGE trunk space.

The only criticism I have is there is a weird blind spot in all of them that is not there when I drive other make/models. I am used to it because I have driven them for so long, but it did take getting used to.

I just drove a rented Elantra for two weeks while waiting for my trusty van to ship from CA.  I really liked it and if we were in the market for a sedan I would definitely look at the Elantra.  My three kids fit just fine in the backseat and the trunk was nice and roomy.