Menu

How to Get a Transcript that Colleges Will Accept

How do I go about getting a transcript that I can send to colleges?

Other than a science co-op, we have no grades created by an outside entity. It's all us. How do I put our work in a document that colleges will accept?

I apologize for posting this, because I'm sure it's covered somewhere, but I spent a good bit of time looking and couldn't find it. Also, I'm not sure if I should have posted here or the College Board.

Thank you.

Slightly different situation here because my kids took/are taking dual credit classes.

We are in TX too.

I just downloaded a blank template form that I liked from online. 

I filled it out with our class names (very generic - English I, Algebra I, Chemistry, etc). I put a notation if the class was taken somewhere else (that science co-op).

I also included a small section that had standardized test scores. 

Honestly? With the one in college already, I doubt anyone looked at it in admissions. I think it is something to check mark off and go on. They cared about the SAT/ACT scores. 

• Like 2

Slightly different situation here because my kids took/are taking dual credit classes.

We are in TX too.

I just downloaded a blank template form that I liked from online.

I filled it out with our class names (very generic - English I, Algebra I, Chemistry, etc). I put a notation if the class was taken somewhere else (that science co-op).

I also included a small section that had standardized test scores.

Honestly? With the one in college already, I doubt anyone looked at it in admissions. I think it is something to check mark off and go on. They cared about the SAT/ACT scores.

I strongly disagree with the bolded. They definitely look at transcripts. Also, fwiw, courses do not need to have generic names. (My kids have taken courses like the Apologetic Works of CS Lewis.) My kids' scholarship interview weekends have specifically referenced their courses.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 2

Of course the grades that you teach yourself are as valuable as grades from an outside class. :-) You're going to have to figure out some sort of grading rubric, and categorize what y'all have done into identifiable subjects and grades. Creating the actual document is not that big a deal. You can do it Word, or Excel, or anything similar.

You should read the pinned links on the high school forum.  I create a document in Excel.  I write course descriptions.  I write a counselor letter.  I create a school profile.  Done.  My kids have had zero problems being accepted with my Excel transcript printed off our home printer.

Thank you. I knew it was out there somewhere. I tried searching for "transcript", but sifting through the results gave me nothing I could go on. And thank you, everyone else, for your input.

This is what blows my mind: "My kids have had zero problems being accepted with my Excel transcript printed off our home printer."  It surprises me that they will accept grades that I have assigned to my own children. I have this nagging fear that we'll get to her senior year in high school and she has learned a lot, but colleges won't look at her because she didn't attend an institution.

Has no one had a problem with colleges accepting transcripts with grades that parents have assigned? 

Has no one had a problem with colleges accepting transcripts with grades that parents have assigned?

I have been homeschooling since 1994 and I have never had an issue. Homeschoolers can't apply test-optional at most (all??? hate to use an absolute bc I don't know) test-optional schools. ACT or SAT scores need to be submitted. I also submit course descriptions to most schools.

I think if your student's ACT/SAT scores reflect the grades you give and your documents are professional looking and sounding, you should be good to go.

My son got into four of the five schools he applied to (and was waitlisted at the fifth).  Nobody questioned my documents.  At the school he ended up going to they needed me to confirm that he had earned a high school diploma.  I told them he had earned one from our homeschool.  They were fine with that.

Thank you. I knew it was out there somewhere. I tried searching for "transcript", but sifting through the results gave me nothing I could go on. And thank you, everyone else, for your input.

This is what blows my mind: "My kids have had zero problems being accepted with my Excel transcript printed off our home printer."  It surprises me that they will accept grades that I have assigned to my own children. I have this nagging fear that we'll get to her senior year in high school and she has learned a lot, but colleges won't look at her because she didn't attend an institution.

It will pay to investigate whether the colleges they are interested in require extras from homeschoolers or not. Many do not, but some do. We've encountered ones that wanted a reading list from junior/senior year, extra recommendations, extra interviews, and even one that wanted a combo of 8 AP/SAT II test scores on top of ACT/SAT scores if not graduating from an accredited school. My daughter chose not to apply to those schools with lots of extra hoops. 

She has been accepted at all 7 of the schools she applied to, including (so far) honors college at 3, asked to interview for honors at another, and substantial merit money at 4 (including being asked to compete for higher scholarships at 3 so far). We are still waiting for announcements from the others re: honors and merit money. All of this was with my homemade transcript from our registered-with-the-state-but-not-accredited school. The only extra hoop we've had to jump through so far is that one school asked that the transcript be notarized. I did send a counselor letter and school profile along with the transcript, but did not send course descriptions or a reading list and haven't been asked for them. I phrased the counselor letter as specifically not being a recommendation but rather to provide a broader picture of her educational situation and choices.

She does have supporting ACT scores and two years of dual enrollment grades, along with a few classes taken in a part-time program via the local public high school.

When you get down to it, most grades are somewhat subjective no matter what the source--so I don't think there's a big concern out there that the grades are unreliable. I think homeschooling has a good track record too. And schools can tell if the applicant's test scores, application essay, and other things tend to "match up" with what they'd expect. 

I used Lee Binz materials, and she has a free webinar that's helpful with getting started. Enjoy the high school years--it's fun to see our kids grow up!

This is what blows my mind: "My kids have had zero problems being accepted with my Excel transcript printed off our home printer." It surprises me that they will accept grades that I have assigned to my own children. I have this nagging fear that we'll get to her senior year in high school and she has learned a lot, but colleges won't look at her because she didn't attend an institution.

People on admissions have a lot of experience evaluating transcripts from around the world. You would be amazed at how bad some individual schools can be, and how good an eye people can have for discrepancies. They know their red flags.

Be honest, be clear, be direct. If you show those values they will be able to infer that you've taught them to your kids.

Try to push boundaries and they will notice.

I can tell from two emails whether a project will go long. People reveal themselves!

This is what blows my mind: "My kids have had zero problems being accepted with my Excel transcript printed off our home printer." It surprises me that they will accept grades that I have assigned to my own children. I have this nagging fear that we'll get to her senior year in high school and she has learned a lot, but colleges won't look at her because she didn't attend an institution.

My assigned grades aren’t any different from ones assigned by an institution. Institutions can grade inflate as much as parents. If your transcripts generally match the scores on SAT or ACT tests then no one should question them.

• Like 1

It was no problem for either of my kids.

Students have to take standardized tests which provide outside validation;  as long as the parent assigned grades are somewhat in line with the test results, it is fine. You may run into problem if your student has stellar grades and crummy test scores.

Many students take some DE courses for additional outside validation. Or have SAT 2 subject tests or AP scores. Still, the main transcript comes from the homeschooling parent.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

BTW - my son had no DE credits or AP or SAT sub tests and did fine.  He's not interested in the Ivy's though.  He did have a couple of tutors and online classes in his last two years of homeschool high school..  I asked for letters from his teachers and tutors but so far no one has asked for anything like that.  I'm sure that a lot probably depends on the individual schools and majors though. 

Other than a science co-op, we have no grades created by an outside entity. It's all us. How do I put our work in a document that colleges will accept?

One thing I would recommend is making sure your DC have at least a couple of people who can write letters of recommendation — ideally, people who know them well and can attest to their academic skills, work ethic, character, etc. I think this is especially important when there isn't a lot of other outside validation of the transcript, like AP/DE/SAT2.

DS had no APs, no subject tests, and only 2 DE courses (and those were online), but he did have teachers (from online homeschool classes, like Lukeion) who knew him well and were happy to write glowing recommendations. He also had very good ACT scores, and his scores + LORs + homeschool transcript got him into a great university with significant merit aid.

• Like 1

How do I go about getting a transcript that I can send to colleges?

I apologize for posting this, because I'm sure it's covered somewhere, but I spent a good bit of time looking and couldn't find it. Also, I'm not sure if I should have posted here or the College Board.

Thank you.

I used Excel.  It's very pretty. ;)

I had no issues with the college accepting my transcripts.  Obviously their ACT/SAT scores made their mommy grades look credible.  Any outside CC classes were marked with an asterisk.

Thank you all so much for all the invaluable information you've provided. I feel much better knowing what to do and hearing it from people who have been through it.

Several people mentioned that schools are also subjective in their grading. I agree. I was just surprised that colleges would also understand this point and consequently accept the grades that we assign our children.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for all the invaluable information you've provided. I feel much better knowing what to do and hearing it from people who have been through it.

Several people mentioned that schools are also subjective in their grading. I agree. I was just surprised that colleges would also understand this point and consequently accept the grades that we assign our children.

I have read horror stories about kids whose homeschool parents did not assign grades, only P (pass) for mastery.  The schools automatically converted all Ps to Cs. Not all schools do this, but it can be an issue.  It pays to know the schools your children are applying to and what their methodologies are.  (FWIW, it can impact scholarships, too, so it matters.)

• Like 2