Menu

Who's in planning mode yet for 2018-19? Want to share?

13 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Holly,

I'm not familiar with Jacob's courses, but Geometry usually relies on quite a bit of algebra. Sometimes people do Geometry and Algebra 2 concurrently. One thing that might help is if you start Algebra first and get quite a bit done and add Geometry later in the year.

I have a couple friends doing Jacobs Algebra & Geometry together based on recommendations from Richele Baburina (author of the SCM Mathematics book).  They haven't mentioned any issues, but I'll have to ask them.  I'm wondering if Jacob's was specifically chosen because they worked together okay.  I just noticed Shoremann Math covers a half credit of geometry alongside Algebra and the remaining half credit alongside Algebra II--I'm thinking I like this arrangement better anyway for her situation!  I feel like my DD would benefit from having two streams of math going.  I also like the idea of jumping into Algebra II right after Algebra I, so she doesn't have a year to forget things.

Either way, it will probably best to get a head start on Algebra first! 

• Like 2

Last year for us since DD16 will be a senior.

Some math class at the college.  Since she did AP Stats this year and has finished the Calc 1&2 courses, I would really rather she take something college level even if the credits don’t transfer.

English - she wants a technical writing course and then probably British Lit to finish out the year.

Science - AP Environmental Science

US Government and Economics

She will fill it out with a couple of music classes.

• Like 1

I need posts like these to get me motivated and focused. Last two years of homeschooling have been rough.

10th grade

English Honors English with the early college program

Math Honors Math 3 with the early college program

Science Biology 101/102 with Labs DE at the university 

Geography World Geography DE at the university 

History World History with ??

Spanish Spanish 2 with BtB + Rosetta Stone 

Fine Arts Humanities 101 DE at the university 

Electives LDS Seminary, and whichever elective she’s able to get from the high school (drama, dance, or carpentry)

• Like 1

On 17/1/2018 at 4:28 PM, loesje22000 said:

Exams, Exams, Exams :)

Dd would be 11th grade by age, and we would like to pass the majority of the 12th grade exit exams.

First exams are planned:

German Oral, English Written, (eventually retake of French Oral)

English Oral will be taken before summerbreak and we are still waiting for dates for Dutch Oral. This is just for september/oktober so far.

• Like 1

Our younger son will be a senior. If it weren't for our super-surprise daughter, next year would be my last year homeschooling. Yet another reason to treasure her each and every day! :-)

DS, Senior: 
Bible: Balancing the Sword (finish), Understanding the Times (finish)
Math: DE Introductory Statistics (fall)
English: DE Comp 1 (fall) and Comp 2 (spring)
Science: Clover Creek Physics (woohoo!!! so glad he chose to do this instead of another biology course!)
Government: Great Source American Government
Economics: DE (spring)

• Like 3

I'm in planning mode, but I honestly don't know what 9th grade will look like yet. Apparently my kids are going to do a good bit together for the first time in ages.

Math: Jacobs' Geometry

English: Mushroom will do a creative writing semester with Open Tent, then he's going to do a semester of Intro to World Drama with me. I'm planning for BalletBoy. When I asked him what he wanted - did he want his literature to have a theme, did he want to focus on anything in particular, he literally said, "Surprise me." So... Um... That leaves things open.

Science: Pretty sure we're doing Derek Owens Physics... pretty sure...

History: Um... something...

Foreign Language: Spanish... online

Both kids are going to take a local Stock Market and Finances class in the fall. BalletBoy is taking a photography elective. BalletBoy will be dancing every day. Mushroom is hoping to do the student directing internship at his theater, though if he doesn't he'll still do at least four shows there. Both kids will hopefully do Destination Imagination again. One of the girls from their team is committed to coming back for high school as well.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 5:38 PM, FarmingMomma said:

My DD will be in 10th next year.  Here are our plans so far:

Math: Jacob's Geometry

Science: Guest Hollow Kitchen Chemistry and Great Courses Chemistry

History/Lit: Notgrass Exploring America

Writing/Grammar: Power in Your Hands, Easy Grammar, Essay Writing Intensive from Open Tent Academy in July/Aug

Languages:  ASL 2.5 and 3 from Open Tent

Hopefully French 2 with Breaking the Barrier.  We are woefully behind schedule with French 1, so we'll see.  If the local community college offers french next year (I think they offer it every other year), I might sign her up there.   The local CC is not offering French this year either, so I guess we're on our own. 

Other Electives: Home Ec, and maybe half a credit of Physical Education.  She keeps adding more musical instruments to her repetoire, so I imagine she'll have another music credit next year too.  Fish and Wildlife Ecology

• Like 1

Yikes - my baby will be a junior next year. 

Spanish 3 - Homeschool Spanish Academy

Chemistry at a hybrid school 

Precalc with me at home - Lial's

Dual Enrollment: 

English 1101 (fall)  English 1102 (spring) 

Poly Sci (fall)    US History (spring) 

and maybe one more at the community college in the spring if she can finish Spanish 3 by January. 

• Like 1

10th grade:

English:  R&S English, homegrown literature, CM-style writing across the curriculum, assigned essays, research paper in the spring

Math:  MUS Geometry

History: SCM Early American

Science: Friendly Biology with 101 dvds

Bible: SCM Life in the Word

Elective: HOD World Religions and Cultures

Foreign Language: Continue French at local homeschool class

Ballet and Piano

• Like 6

I'm in planning mode.

ds(11th):

Math: Precalculus with Limits (Larson)--generic chalkdust

Chemistry: BJUP Chem 4e

History of the Renaissance World

English 3: still working on this one

Latin 2

LDS seminary (church history--elective)

We're counting credits right now---we're considering adding Economics. He normally carries 7 credits a year but we're still trying to figure out what he needs between here and there. He has had too bit of a heavy course load at times this year and we're trying to find a bit more balance.  I'd hope he'd choose to dual enroll at the local cc, but he doesn't want to.  

• Like 1

I can't go back and edit my post because I couldn't get into my former username after the forum upgrade, so I'm just going to post my edited plans again:

9th grade son:

MUS Algebra 1 Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1

CM-style literature and composition (book list, lit. terms, daily narrations, essays, research papers, poetry and short stories)

Notgrass Exploring World History Part 1

Apologia Biology

Electives: French, Computer Science 101 from Stanford Online, A Rulebook for Arguments, phys ed (hopefully)

11th grade son:

Applied Math 30S from our province Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2

CM-style literature and composition (book list, daily narrations, essay per week, research papers, poetry and short stories)

Finish Exploring World History Part 2 and do Abeka World Geography

PAC Chemistry + Chemistry 101 DVD

Electives: Old Testament, Speech & Public Speaking (7sisters) and phys ed

Edited by hollyhock2
ETA more changes
  • Like 3

Ds decided to go forward with Economics as an elective.  We decided to go with the Krugmann text (since it's one approved for AP) + Economics for Dummies & we'll throw in some Crash Course videos + Khan Academy.  I'm not sure if he'll want to take AP macro or not, but I think the option will be open if he wants to.  I'm more concerned with him having some exposure to the material as I think he's headed into a mathematics based job in the future.  I think he'll probably pick up Statistics next year.  Hopefully he'll bump into something he really is drawn to.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 6:56 PM, Holly said:

10th grade

• Math: Jacob's Algebra & Geometry--I think we'll be doing these side-by-side.  Math is not her best subject, but I'm hoping we can get through Algebra II before graduation. 
  • English: WWS 2, GftWTM, assigned books for literature, Harp & Laurel Wreath for poetry, we also do 3 Shakespeare plays and 2 Plutarch Lives as a family each year.
  • History: Biblioplan Year 4
  • Science: Pacworks Biology with Biology 101 DVDs and various science experiments
  • The Art of Argument
  • Power Basics American Government
  • MP's Book of the Ancient Greeks/Iliad/Odyssey
  • Artistic Pursuits Book 1 and hopefully some local art classes, she does lots of digital art, painting, and sketching on her own.
  • First Form Latin or Henle--I keep going back and forth on this.  FFL would be easier for me to keep up with since my younger ones are doing it, but she's only got a few years left. 
  • Rosetta Stone Spanish

This is beautiful!

• Like 1

I like reading through these threads for ideas.  My DS will start high school this year.  He is 2E so we have to be careful about his workload (struggles with the executive functioning).

English: IEW plus 4 required classics (TBD), Worldly Wise 10 online 

Math: Derek Owens Algebra II

Science: Dual Enrollment the 2nd semester - Biology or Chemistry depending on which community college he is at.  Supplement with whichever is chosen the first semester to prepare him.

Russian: Dual Enrollment

Health: Acellus (over the summer) - still waffling on this, I just want a git-er-done class that requires very little from me.

Art: outsourced through a tutorial (TBD)

History/Social Studies: outsourced through a tutorial or private class (TBD)

Extracurriculars: Boy Scouts, handbells at church

The plan with DS will be to slowly transition him to mostly DE at the local community colleges.  We just have to take it slow.  Nothing has been easy with him.  I'm waiting for all of the tutorials and colleges to release schedules.  I have 2 other kids to fit this all around - I feel like I will be living out of my car.

On 1/16/2018 at 11:55 PM, rdj2027 said:

11th grade: English Honors2 (Blue Tent)

Algebra2

Japanese2/3

Biology

US History

???

I'm taking Honors English 2 right now with Mrs. Proctor.

Amazing class. She really takes the time to give proper feedback to her students, and she made me ENJOY her class. 

On 3/7/2018 at 12:08 AM, hopskipjump said:

DS1 (sophomore year)

Derek Owens AP Calc AB

PAH AP Chemistry

Blue Tent Honors English II

AP* Music Theory (private instruction - might take two years to cover the material... his teacher is planning that now)

Spanish III

US History (CLEP)

US Government (CLEP)

Honors English II is a wonderful class! Mrs. Proctor is an amazing English teacher.

• Like 1

10th grade:  TOOLS that we will be using

religion/devotions:  not sure on this yet because I have a few things I'm considering 

math:  Jacob's Algebra

history:  Harmony Fine Arts Geography plan

Literature:  Elements of Literature/ EFTRU vol.1/ Easy Grammar Plus/selected books

composition:  EIW 10

science:  PAC Integrated Physics and Chemistry with science lab kit from QSL

foreign language:  Russian :Reading Russian step by step (and the rest of the series/Rosetta Stone)

electives: Fencing, World Religions and Cultures, Logic (Fallacy Detective and Art of Argument)

Edited by mama25angels
Made a few more changes
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 6:19 PM, counselinggirl said:

For DD 11th grade:

English: AP Literature & Composition (Blue Tent - Brigid Thompson- we LOVE Blue Tent!)

Math: Pre-Calculus (Mr. D Math - also love)

AP US History (FLVS, I think)

DE Biology w/Lab or Biology Honors (Blue Tent) or AP Environmental (FLVS??)

Can I pm you?? I'm considering taking AP Lang or AP Lit with Blue Tent.

Also, AP Environmental Science with FLVS doesn't come reccomended!

AP Environmental Science From the Florida Virtual School

This is probably the most widely disliked online course I saw. Students were frustrated by the workload, assessments, and lack of teacher accessibility. They found that lessons focused on information that was not relevant to the AP exam. They pointed to a high workload of busywork with low exam preparation payoff. Assessments were brutally long. Teachers took a long time to get back to students. The general consensus was that no one should take this course. 

From https://blog.prepscholar.com/best-online-ap-courses-reviewed

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, satellite said:

Can I pm you?? I'm considering taking AP Lang or AP Lit with Blue Tent.

Also, AP Environmental Science with FLVS doesn't come reccomended!

AP Environmental Science From the Florida Virtual School

This is probably the most widely disliked online course I saw. Students were frustrated by the workload, assessments, and lack of teacher accessibility. They found that lessons focused on information that was not relevant to the AP exam. They pointed to a high workload of busywork with low exam preparation payoff. Assessments were brutally long. Teachers took a long time to get back to students. The general consensus was that no one should take this course. 

From https://blog.prepscholar.com/best-online-ap-courses-reviewed

Absolutely, Satellite!

I can't say enough good things about BLUE TENT--my daughter adores the teachers and loves the classes!! She is in AP Lang this year and taking AP Lit next year, both with Brigid Thompson! She took Honors English 2 with Christine Proctor the year before. These courses are a complete "English" course--they cover everything from grammar, vocabulary, literature, writing, etc. They are extremely organized and my daughter has made a bunch of friends in these classes despite them being asynchronous courses. The kids are focused and there to support each other and learn! Blue Tent classes are highly regarded but I know some feel they are too much work but my daughter can't wait to sign on every single Monday morning and see what is next. She enjoys the work and the learning, and never feels that it is too much--although she invests about 8-10 hours a week or so (so think of it as an hour in English class every day plus some homework--reasonable). Happy to provide more detail--pm me.

Satellite, I see you took Honors English 2 with Blue Tent (Christine Proctor) - courses are very similar in framework and work load (I might even say the AP course it a little less work but that might be because my DD is very used the way things work at BT now). DD feels VERY prepared for AP Language Exam and still weeks away!

As far as AP Environmental Science--we are still on the fence about this course because we have had several friends take this course and they say it is fine...I think you have to understand FLVS courses and what you are getting into. My daughter has taken several FLVS classes: some have been pretty good (Honors Human Anatomy & Physiology), one was horrible (but that was actually with the county virtual school-Honors English 1), one that was great (AP Psych), and others that just got the job done (Honors Econ, Honors Chemistry, Algebra 2, Psychology, etc). We are still waiting on some potential scheduling conflicts for next year so I can't pull the trigger on her science course yet--our first choice is to do the D/E Biology but may still do APES in 12th anyway...will see how things fall out. Again, feel free to PM anytime :) 

On 1/23/2018 at 8:19 PM, counselinggirl said:

For DD 11th grade:

English: AP Literature & Composition (Blue Tent - Brigid Thompson- we LOVE Blue Tent!)

Math: Pre-Calculus (Mr. D Math - also love)

History: AP US History (FLVS, I think)

Science: DE Biology w/Lab or Biology Honors (Blue Tent) or AP Environmental (FLVS??) - STILL NOT CERTAIN which course (see below)

1. Took Honors High School Biology in 7th grade, not retaking and am recognizing it on transcript as Biology and hoping no one gives me any issues with it??
  2. Still hoping DD can take DE Biology (waiting on schedule conflicts) but if not might try APES--anyone have any other suggestions besides FLVS for solid APES course? We got burned on one PAHS course (APHG-and daughter is very hesitant to use PAHS and would rather FLVS if nothing else comes highly recommended).

Language: ASL 3: Open Tent Academy

Fine Arts: Dialects of the World & Impersonations (home) & Piano w/Music Theory & Sight Reading/Singing (home-private instructor) & Acting (possibly-locally)

Elective: Health (FLVS)

55 minutes ago, counselinggirl said:

Absolutely, Satellite!

I can't say enough good things about BLUE TENT--my daughter adores the teachers and loves the classes!! She is in AP Lang this year and taking AP Lit next year, both with Brigid Thompson! She took Honors English 2 with Christine Proctor the year before. These courses are a complete "English" course--they cover everything from grammar, vocabulary, literature, writing, etc. They are extremely organized and my daughter has made a bunch of friends in these classes despite them being asynchronous courses. The kids are focused and there to support each other and learn! Blue Tent classes are highly regarded but I know some feel they are too much work but my daughter can't wait to sign on every single Monday morning and see what is next. She enjoys the work and the learning, and never feels that it is too much--although she invests about 8-10 hours a week or so (so think of it as an hour in English class every day plus some homework--reasonable). Happy to provide more detail--pm me.

Satellite, I see you took Honors English 2 with Blue Tent (Christine Proctor) - courses are very similar in framework and work load (I might even say the AP course it a little less work but that might be because my DD is very used the way things work at BT now). DD feels VERY prepared for AP Language Exam and still weeks away!

As far as AP Environmental Science--we are still on the fence about this course because we have had several friends take this course and they say it is fine...I think you have to understand FLVS courses and what you are getting into. My daughter has taken several FLVS classes: some have been pretty good (Honors Human Anatomy & Physiology), one was horrible (but that was actually with the county virtual school-Honors English 1), one that was great (AP Psych), and others that just got the job done (Honors Econ, Honors Chemistry, Algebra 2, Psychology, etc). We are still waiting on some potential scheduling conflicts for next year so I can't pull the trigger on her science course yet--our first choice is to do the D/E Biology but may still do APES in 12th anyway...will see how things fall out. Again, feel free to PM anytime :) 

Thank you, this is so much information!

I love Blue Tent as well, but I just haven't seen as much feedback on how well students are prepared for the AP exam. And regarding making friends in Blue Tents courses - same here!! The students and teachers are so friendly, it's a really great environment. To anyone who comes across this post, take a Blue Tent class.

I just realized that you are from Florida, and I believe Florida residents get some classes for free. Lucky!! Apart from APES, I've hear amazing things about FLVS.

I'm going to pm you xx

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2018 at 4:17 PM, Aurelia said:

Super-tentative:

9th grade:

Algebra 1 (either MUS or with Jann in TX)

Preparation for Rhetoric (WTMA) or The One Year Adventure Novel

Biology of some kind, maybe. Maybe joining another homeschooler's science class (I think they're doing chemistry next year), or the local co-op

World Geography (FundaFunda) or something else if the schedule doesn't work, but I have no idea what

maybe local co-op for ASL and art

gymnastics and tumbling

Now that it's summer, plans are getting more firmed up here. 

Slightly less tentative:

9th grade. DD has dyslexia and ADHD, so school can be challenging. I was originally going to do a transition year, but suddenly DD is much more mature and may actually be ready for high school in the fall. 

Algebra 1 (Math Relief) - DD is almost 1/3 through the course, so she might be able to start Algebra 2 next spring (Math Relief does algebra 1 and 2 before geometry), but we'll see how things go once she gets past concepts that are review.

Introduction to Literature and Composition (CLRC) + ABeCeDarian C and D + spelling. Maybe Spelling You See E/F

PAC World History plus Groovy Kids chocolate study (fall), for spring: maybe add Human Odyssey vol 3 with some additional lit

PAC Physics with Physics 101 DVD

ASL 1 (ASL Rochelle)

Creative Writing (combo of So Verbose and at-home resources) Writing is a real weak point, and DD is MUCH happier doing creative writing vs academic.

Drawing (drawing books we have + YouTube videos because DD already does that. She asked for drawing to count for school, so we will be more deliberate in counting hours and developing skills.)

gymnastics and tumbling (we haven't even started the reduced summer schedule, 2 days a week instead of 4, and DD is already asking if she can go back to the old one in the fall, and she was the one who requested to have time off!)

How is everyone else's planning going?

On 2/18/2018 at 10:13 PM, historymatters said:

My son will be 11th. 

Ok, I've changed this year a few times; hopefully, third time is a charm. ? Those I haven't changed are in Bold

MATH: Alg. II ( w/myhomeschoolmathclass)

LIT.: Homegrown World Lit. (mostly Stobaugh's World Lit curriculum w/exceptions using EIL World Lit selections instead + Shakespeare); Hopefully,using Roman Roads Media, too.

FOR. LANGUAGE: Latin 2 w/Big River Academy

COMPOSITION: Foundations of Composition II w/Excelsior, fall semester

VOCAB: Pick words from each chapter of lit books to look up, and write into vocab notebook; Vocabulary from Classical Roots.

SPELLING(a weakness, though a very good reader): Spellbound (maybe Spell of Words, too?)

GRAMMAR (a weakness): Finish last level of Growing with Grammar; maybe begin OMT

HISTORY: World or American. Either way, using Stobaugh's History text combined w/Great Courses Plus History lectures and Roman Roads Media; misc. 

SCIENCE: Chemistry @co-op using Wile's Discovering Design

FINE ARTS: America's Artistic Legacy w/Professor Carol

LOGIC: Traditional Logic II w/Memoria Press Academy, fall or spring semester; hopefully, we can squeeze in Material Logic, too.

RELIGIOUS STUDIES: other than studying traditional parsha schedule, TBD

PHILOSOPHY: Homegrown TBD; include Romans Roads Media selections

GOVERNMENT/ECON: TBD (doing slowly over 2 years); want to include Cicero's The Republic and The Laws using Memoria Press materials

OTHER ELECTIVES: 

Chess @co-op

3D Blendar Class @co-op

PE @co-op, fall sem.

Homegrown Health (also want to stretch out over 2 years, but trying to figure out how): Looking at Apologia's new Exploring Creation With Health and Nutrition; Food Renegade's Real Food curriculum. Teaching him to cook.

PSAT/SAT Prep: fall sem., Bright Ideas Press Academy

SAT/ACT Prep: ReasonPrep, spring semester

POSSIBLY:
Lit. Analysis 8 wk workshop w/Write @ Home, spring semester or we work through Windows to the World together w/Renee Metcalf of Inspired Scholar checking papers.

*I didn't want him to be on the computer so much, so I changed things up. Plus, he struggles w/depression and migraines, so the fewer online classes, the better. I still have book lists to make, but I'm looking forward to being more involved after a few rough years.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2018 at 12:24 PM, mama25angels said:

science:  PAC Integrated Physics and Chemistry with science lab kit and the 101 DVD (if I can find them used)

2 options for Chemistry 101 and 1 option for Physics 101 are for sale at Homeschoolclassifieds.

Check vegsource and Amazon, too.

My son will be in 11th grade and will be doing AP Statistics, AP Physics C Mechanics, and AP Psychology at the local public high school

At home we will be doing a bunch of half credit courses:

• Intro to rhetoric
  • African American literature
  • Possibly creative writing
  • African American history using Freedom on My Mind and tons of supplements
  • A very homegrown course on the history of the Soviet Union
  • Astronomy with a focus on cosmology and what's beyond the solar system (this will be a full credit)
  • French III with Oak Meadow (another full credit)
  • Like 2

I know I am late to the party & I had to submit my course plan to the charter school already, but I can change it until the first day of school in the Fall, so I usually put down the most basic framework and then flesh it out over the Summer.

10th grade dd:

English 10 A & B:  This is usually a homegrown stew of whatever lit she wants (this year was all Shakespeare; next year all Sci-fi,) writing assignments & ACT prep work.  I also usually put Logic here.

Math: TT Geometry (shares this with her 8th grade brother)

Science:  Fascinating Chemistry with all the add-ons she'll stand :)

Driver's Ed/ Driver's Training:  eeek!  The Driver's Ed is an online course to get her permit and the Driver's Training is the time in the car with the instructor

World History:  She tolerates Crash Course, so I develop some kind of worksheet page for notes & then add in reading, quizzes, maps, primary source assignments & tests.

Dance:  She takes dance classes 4-5 hours/ week.  She fills out a log of time spent, reviews 2 performances a semester, writes a final research paper about something pertinent or develops a final project.

Community Service:  Yes, this is a real high school class for which she can get credit :)  Her regular community service gig is assisting at the outreach program our TKD studio 2X/ week.  She also participates in other service projects year round.   She usually volunteers with the Special Olympics 2X/ year, and most recently with the Grateful Garment project which provides clothing for victims of abuse, trafficking, assault, etc. who are found naked by law enforcement or whose clothing is taken as evidence at a hospital and would otherwise leave the hospital in a paper gown.  She keeps a log of time spent and does a short monthly write up about something pertinent.  

French II:  Monarch French 1 was meh this year, so I am trying to figure out the French syllabus for Hewett Homeschool.  I don't even speak French.  I tried to get her to take Spanish or ASL, the two languages with which I have a passing acquaintence, but no.  It had to be French.  Maybe because of the ballet.

In the Spring, instead of Driver's ed, I will put together a Film class.  Again, Crash Course :)  

Whew!  I'd better get to work.  I have an 8th grade ds to plan for as well.

Amber in SJ

• Like 2

Yes, definitely planning mode. I have to cram a lot into June -- as I start coaching full time again in July.

PonyGirl:  11th Grade

Summer:  Honors Physics (Acellus), Health (Acellus), SAT Prep, German (continued) and Logic & Argumentation

Fall:  6 credits (2 courses during the summer are junior year credit)

• AP English Language (Acellus, Textword Press Lit & Vocabulary, Sentence Composing (College), and lots of reading)
  • Multi-variable Calculus (MIT Scholars Online), SAT Math Review (SAT2- Math 2 exam; AP Calculus BC Review for that AP as well)
  • AP Physics C (Physics Prep) both courses
  • German 4
  • U.S. History (maybe AP exam here)

PokeMan: 9th Grade

• English (Textword Prep Literature & Vocabulary, Abeka Grammar, Sentence Composing Book; four extra books)
  • Precalculus (Larson Text w/ Chalkdust Videos)
  • US History (Critical Thinking Press, about 4 books, and several movies)
  • Physical Science (BJU Press w/videos)
  • Robotics
  • Animation
  • Mandarin 2 or 3.
  • Logic & Argumentation

Blondie is in 6th and Boo in 4th.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:47 AM, Amber in SJ said:

I know I am late to the party & I had to submit my course plan to the charter school already, but I can change it until the first day of school in the Fall, so I usually put down the most basic framework and then flesh it out over the Summer.

10th grade dd:

English 10 A & B:  This is usually a homegrown stew of whatever lit she wants (this year was all Shakespeare; next year all Sci-fi,) writing assignments & ACT prep work.  I also usually put Logic here.

Math: TT Geometry (shares this with her 8th grade brother)

Science:  Fascinating Chemistry with all the add-ons she'll stand ?

Driver's Ed/ Driver's Training:  eeek!  The Driver's Ed is an online course to get her permit and the Driver's Training is the time in the car with the instructor

World History:  She tolerates Crash Course, so I develop some kind of worksheet page for notes & then add in reading, quizzes, maps, primary source assignments & tests.

Dance:  She takes dance classes 4-5 hours/ week.  She fills out a log of time spent, reviews 2 performances a semester, writes a final research paper about something pertinent or develops a final project.

Crash Course has developed materials for a World History course around the videos.

ETA: https://thecrashcourse.com/courses/worldhistory1

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 11:24 AM, mama25angels said:

10th grade:  TOOLS that we will be using

religion/devotions:  not sure on this yet because I have a few things I'm considering 

math:  Jacob's Algebra

history:  Notgrass EWH part 1

Literature:  Elements of Literature/ EFTRU vol.1/ Easy Grammar Plus

composition:  IEW (across the curriculum)

science:  PAC Integrated Physics and Chemistry with science lab kit and the 101 DVD (if I can find them used)

foreign language:  Russian (udemy and Rosetta Stone)

electives:  music appreciation

co-op:  economics (notgrass and stossel in the classroom dvd)

Will have to repost, made some more changes but, still not sure.  

DD#1 (Senior year) [finalized?]
Chem @ local state college (they gave her permission, finally, and she's registered!)
Russian 1 @ CLRC (new teacher, still working through the new class times to make sure they work in her schedule)
German 2 @ CLRC (also a new teacher since the previous one had too much upheaval in her life to keep teaching this year!)
Spanish 5 (continue w/online tutor in extremely busy fall semester, perhaps work in spring w/local retired teacher)
AP Calc AB (WHA, attending live 1x/wk & watching recording for 2nd class meeting)
English (state college summer online class - Dystopian lit!)
Programming - Java - Excelsior, fall semester
Norse Mythology - elective, fall semester through CLRC 
History of Country Music - fine arts elective designed by dd, spring semester (hasn't been worked on yet, doubt it'll happen)
Bravewriter college essay class (see the red below!)

So, this summer she's doing some math camps, doing a dystopian lit online class @ local college, designing an elective course for spring semester, and hopefully writing some college application essays. If she doesn't get a couple of essays done, I'm going to sign her up for the Bravewriter college essay app class. She's going to be one busy gal this fall!!!!

Edited by RootAnn
updated in red on 8/22
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2018 at 7:08 PM, KeriJ said:

10th grade:

English:  R&S English, Windows to the World, book list, CM-style writing across the curriculum, assigned essays, research paper in the spring

Math:  MUS Geometry

History: SCM Early American, First half of Notgrass Exploring America, just the history reading and original source document book.

Science: Friendly Biology with 101 dvds, The Riot and the Dance: Foundational Biology + 101 DVDs.

Bible: SCM Life in the Word

Elective: HOD World Religions and Cultures

Foreign Language: Continue French at local homeschool class

Ballet and Piano

Updating to include what we are actually doing now. ?

• Like 2

On 1/17/2018 at 8:50 AM, freesia said:

Next year I won't have oldest ds--that's strange. We also don't know how much money we'll have due to college.

So, for dd-who will be in 10th:

French 2-Aim Academy

Algebra 2- Saxon

Biology Guest Hollow syllabus

English-Sharon Watson's Characters in Crises and writing classes from Lantern English

Modern History-tapestry year 4

Electives :PE;

Music Theory (Alfred's Music Theory and piano class)

Made updates above.

She will also do a Theater class, attend youth group, TaeKwonDo and continue organ lessons.  And she's working at a farm this fall.  It should be busy, but hopefully balanced and fun.  She needs down time,but also tends to ruminate so we are always working on a healthy balance for her.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2018 at 1:36 PM, GeoKitty said:

10th grader

Teaching Textbooks finish Geometry,  then Precalculus

US History - Bill Bennett’s America, Last best hope three books... Howard Zinn’s book,and a Hillsdale class, and a special focus on music throughout American history 

Music - private lessons, guitar, bass, electric ... continue singing at jams and assisted living facilities

PSAT prep

Foreign Language - Breaking the Barrier Spanish 1 and a local class

Chemistry - Co-op class using Apologia 2nd edition

English- ByLine, Ultimate Easy Grammar 10, Literature co-op class, and books

Geography - co-op class

Art- co-op class

Career Exploration law enforcement - done over last summer

PE- personal fitness , aiming for a half credit

On 2/16/2018 at 8:14 AM, RootAnn said:

DD#2 (all on own or with me) - 10th grade (with option to reclassify it 9th grade if she needs an extra year):
finish Algebra, start on Geometry 
Chem (Guest Hollow kitchen chem)
French 2
Art History (aligned with history, 1/2 credit)
World History (Light to the Nations 2)
English credit (?? unknown right now) A workbook for arguments then Lively Art of Writing (if time) + Scheduled Lit (some tied in w/history)
Linguistics (Ellen McHenry materials, books, Great Course, etc. 1/2 credit)
Art/Drawing elective
Intro to Music (Great Course, performances 1/2 credit)

Volunteering @ local thrift shop. Continue painting lessons w/local artist.

I updated dd#1's plan a few posts up, but hadn't posted on dd#2's schedule since the above post on page 2! Made updates in red, above.

On 4/13/2018 at 6:56 PM, Holly said:

10th grade

• Math: Jacob's Algebra & Geometry--I think we'll be doing these side-by-side.  Math is not her best subject, but I'm hoping we can get through Algebra II before graduation. 
  • English: WWS 2, GftWTM, assigned books for literature, Harp & Laurel Wreath for poetry, we also do 3 Shakespeare plays and 2 Plutarch Lives as a family each year.
  • History: Biblioplan Year 4
  • Science: Pacworks Biology with Biology 101 DVDs and various science experiments
  • The Art of Argument
  • Power Basics American Government
  • MP's Book of the Ancient Greeks/Iliad/Odyssey
  • Artistic Pursuits Book 1 and hopefully some local art classes, she does lots of digital art, painting, and sketching on her own.
  • First Form Latin or Henle--I keep going back and forth on this.  FFL would be easier for me to keep up with since my younger ones are doing it, but she's only got a few years left. 
  • Rosetta Stone Spanish

I have made lots of changes!  We are mostly going with Memoria Press and I'm combining her with my 8th grader.  It's working really well so far.  They have all morning to complete readings, math, and Latin, then we meet together after lunch and work on the student guides and discussion questions.  So new plans:

• Pearson Algebra I
  • First Form & Second Form Latin--I think she can complete both levels this year
  • GftWTM
  • MP Literature: Treasure Island, Wind in the Willows, As You Like It, Tom Sawyer, American Short Stories--This is a bit on the easy side, but it will give her more time to focus on math and composition, which are her weaker areas
  • Classical Composition: Fable & Narrative
  • Our Co-op will be reading King Lear, Much Ado About Nothing, and Julius Caesar.  We also have 2 Plutarch's Lives (Julius Caesar and ??)
  • History: MP's Ancient World, Ancient Greece, Iliad, Odyssey, plus a bit of American history
  • Artistic Pursuits and art on her own
  • Biology??  Still unsure...And we are 4 weeks into our year. 
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Holly said:

I have made lots of changes!  We are mostly going with Memoria Press and I'm combining her with my 8th grader.  It's working really well so far.  They have all morning to complete readings, math, and Latin, then we meet together after lunch and work on the student guides and discussion questions.  So new plans:

• Pearson Algebra I
  • First Form & Second Form Latin--I think she can complete both levels this year
  • GftWTM
  • MP Literature: Treasure Island, Wind in the Willows, As You Like It, Tom Sawyer, American Short Stories--This is a bit on the easy side, but it will give her more time to focus on math and composition, which are her weaker areas
  • Classical Composition: Fable & Narrative
  • Our Co-op will be reading King Lear, Much Ado About Nothing, and Julius Caesar.  We also have 2 Plutarch's Lives (Julius Caesar and ??)
  • History: MP's Ancient World, Ancient Greece, Iliad, Odyssey, plus a bit of American history
  • Artistic Pursuits and art on her own
  • Biology??  Still unsure...And we are 4 weeks into our year. 

Is she doing the lit guides for the MP Lit, the co-op books and the history classical studies books? That would be a lot if she does everything in all of them. MP's guide a very thorough.

Junior Year (11th)

• AP English Lang - AIM Academy, Lili Serbicki
  • AP Comp Science A - Edhesive
  • Regular Physics - NDCDE (They use Accelerate Ed's content)
  • AP Calc AB - Derek Owens
  • AP Euro Hist - PAH, Hannah Donohue
  • AP Spanish Lang - APEX
  • 1 DE class in the Fall and another in Spring
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Is she doing the lit guides for the MP Lit, the co-op books and the history classical studies books? That would be a lot if she does everything in all of them. MP's guide a very thorough.

For Shakespeare, we just read the plays together, and at home we listen to the Arkangel recordings.   Same with Plutarch.  We mostly read and follow Anne White's guides.   About half is covered at co-op and half at home.  We will be covering one play (As You Like It) at home with MP guides.  We read it at co-op last year, so it will be interesting what they think about approaching it from a classical perspective compared to a Charlotte Mason approach. 

For the MP books, we are using the guides, but they are not writing out every last answer.  We are coming from a Charlotte Mason background and I'd previously avoided discussion guides.  I'm really enjoying these discussions with my kids so much more than I did listening to their narrations!   

I do worry that the reading level itself is a bit light.  In the MP schools, they use these books for 7th grade, and I remember reading some of them in jr. high myself.  Also, I thought I'd heard that the Iliad/Odyssey translations (Butler) are a bit easier to read since they are in a prose format.  However, I feel like I'm enjoying these lessons (as a fairly well-read adult), so maybe I'm over thinking things.

On 4/15/2018 at 11:47 AM, FarmingMomma said:

My DD will be in 10th next year.  Here are our plans so far:

Math: Jacob's Geometry

Science: Guest Hollow Kitchen Chemistry and Great Courses Chemistry

History/Lit: Notgrass Exploring America

Writing/Grammar: Power in Your Hands, Easy Grammar, Essay Writing Intensive from Open Tent Academy in July/Aug

Languages:  ASL 2.5 and 3 from Open Tent

Hopefully French 2 with Breaking the Barrier.  We are woefully behind schedule with French 1, so we'll see.  If the local community college offers french next year (I think they offer it every other year), I might sign her up there.   The local CC is not offering French this year either, so I guess we're on our own. 

Other Electives: Home Ec, and maybe half a credit of Physical Education.  She keeps adding more musical instruments to her repetoire, so I imagine she'll have another music credit next year too.  Fish and Wildlife Ecology

We made a few changes, and so far it's going well.  We're about to start our 3rd week of school. Only one of her online classes has started so far, so we'll see how it goes once those all pick up.  

Math: Finish Saxon Algebra 1, Jacob's Geometry

Science: Guest Hollow Kitchen Chemistry and Great Courses Chemistry lectures

History: A Patriot's History of the United States.  We also have the reader to go along with it that covers important documents.  

Writing: Nature Writing Class on Outschool (10 weeks), High School Research and More writing class from Open Tent Academy (starts in October)

Literature: Bravewriter Boomerangs, plus a handful of American lit books to go along with history (The Scarlet Letter, The Pioneers, Tom Sawyer, Uncle Tom's Cabin, etc)

Languages: ASL 2.5 and then ASL 3, both through Open Tent Academy.  French 1 from Global Goose Languages

Home Ec: We're going to work our way through the Martha Stewart Cooking School cookbook, plus various other cooking projects.  Also sewing.  

We may or may not get to Fish and Wildlife Ecology this year.  We might save it for next summer.

• Like 1