Menu

Who's in planning mode yet for 2018-19? Want to share?

I can’t plan next month. Seriously I don’t know what country we will be 6 weeks from today. It will be a 12 hour difference though so that works for the current online classes.

I can’t plan next fall if I wanted to because college schedules don’t come out this early. There is one absolute must class and the rest will have to fall into place after that one. Here for the journey 😂

• Like 4

Will be down to my last one. She'll be 10/11th and is talking about going to college for Asian studies now. The plan:

Earth science w/lab 

American Literature (with concentration on Native American Literature)

Continuing East Asian Literature (mainly myths but will start to dabble in great books here)

American History (with concentration on Native American culture and history)

Continuing East Asian History 

Integrated Geometry/Algebra I and II 

Violin

Art and art history

Writing and publishing her first story

Korean or maybe back to Japanese (depends on if the co-op we joined decides to offer it)

• Like 1

I wasn't really, until talk of schedules and registration openings coming to light. :-) Now I'm thinking I should nail some things down. 

So who wants to share what they are thinking?

I'll give it a go - and tell you what we're thinking to start us off... and feedback on below providers/courses - always welcome!!

11th grade:

Eng - AP Eng Lang (PAH) - have recently changed from wanting Inspektor to Walker

Math - AP Calc AB (WHA) - we love Ms. Stublen (mom on the boards!)

Sci - Hon Physics (DO) - need something a bit lighter, and will take SAT II test

Hist - Big History Project - A-G approved (for us Cali folk, and could use a 'world history')

Lang - Span 3 (HSA)

elec - AP Stats (WHA or Edhesive - cannot decide! Edhesive is cheaper at $150, but my son loves Mr. Reini)

elect - ?? 

9th grade:

Eng - Hon American Lit - at home w/ Lightning Lit/SICC-C

Math - Geometry (Jann in TX)

Sci - WTMA Biology (her brother loved it! thinking SAT II post-class)

Hist - Big History Project - nice a-g world history credit

Lang - Span 1 (HSA)

elec - ??

elect - ?? love to try an AP class but not sure of a good first one. may just stick with a single SAT II for 9th and step it up in 10th

Love some help on elective ideas esp for my rising 9th grader. She loves art and is creative... so open to suggestions!

Never mind :)

Edited by London

For DD 11th grade:

English: AP Literature & Composition (Blue Tent - Brigid Thompson- we LOVE Blue Tent!)

Math: Pre-Calculus (Mr. D Math - also love)

History: AP US History (FLVS, I think)

Science: DE Biology w/Lab or Biology Honors (Blue Tent) or AP Environmental Science (FLVS??)--this depends on days/times/schedule

Lang: ASL 3 (ASL Academy - Marie Harvey)

Fine Arts: Music Theory (WTMA? DE?)

Elective: Health (FLVS)

Elective: Dialects?? (Home Grown) or Music Around the World (FLVS) or Acting (??)

Just a start, not completely certain about Science, Fine Arts, or Electives

Edited by counselinggirl
  • Like 1

Our co-op's high school planning meeting isn't until mid-March, so some of our planning is on hold. The co-op is bouncing around the idea of offering 3 core subjects next year instead of 2. We usually do 2 core/1 fun elective. 

Co-op will most likely offer:

Physics with Hewitt's high school book (I'll teach this.)

Speech/Debate for high school English elective

Might Offer:

Gov/Econ: no idea of curricula yet

If co-op doesn't offer Social Studies:

Oak Meadow World History 

What co-op will not offer:

Math: Holt Geometry (just started this month) & Holt Algebra 2 or A Fresh Approach Algebra 2

Bible: Finish program he's in now if doesn't this year; Life of Christ study (use Hewitt Homeschooling resources)

Literature: LOTR courses on Homeschool Connections 

Writing: Vocab & writing courses on Homeschool Connections 

Edited by mom31257

I'll have an 11th grader next year. She wants to do some DE classes, probably, maybe. She's also talking about trying to do the bulk of Geometry over the summer since I made her repeat Algebra1 and then she did Algebra 2 because she liked the teacher, but she wants to get to calculus her senior year, possibly. And she says she might not want anymore APs because they are too restrictive and don't give her time for rabbit trails. Also, maybe she doesn't want to do science at the private school next year, but she doesn't want a lab online. And perhaps she wants a computer science class, but maybe not.

So, I have no idea what to do. She's making me crazy.

She will carry on with the Japanese tutor and that's all I know at this point.

• Like 2

I'm a newbie to this board, and to homeschooling high school, so please be aware that I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'm planning for dd14 who wants to be an actress, so that makes things tricky. She might go to acting school or she might just work on padding her resume by doing various theater productions in the Houston area. 

Math: Pre-Algebra or Algebra I (Math is not her strong suit, but I'm trying to get her through two levels of math this year so she can start Algebra I in ninth grade, possibly at semester.)

Science: Oak Meadow Environmental Science with extra reading and assignments

Language Arts: I teach this at our local co-op. We'll be using Lost Tools of Writing and I'm working on a book list for the class.

History: She requested to study the Victorian Age since she volunteers at a local living history park, and the Victorian house is her favorite to work in. She requested to specifically focus on the cultural history. I've been amazed at how many resources I've already found with just a cursory Google search, so I'm excited to see how this comes together. She'll also do some study on the same time period in the United States.

Speech: Informal Logic from Schole Academy

Electives: Theater for sure and whatever else is offered at our co-op next year (I believe music theory and appreciation will be one).

Does anyone see any glaring holes?

• Like 1

I understand what CalmingTea cautioned about regarding breaks and fitting in family trips/holidays when you outsource and have several asynchronous classes running. We are in the same boat as Mirabillis.  Live classes Monday through Thursday with two different providers plus an asynchronous bio class tossed in the mix.  We also do not have a week throughout the school year with nothing.  Even our dance spring break is different than our class breaks.  The girls are definitely used to this schedule and handle it well.  We are actually taking time off this March for an extended trip and I'm a mess trying to coordinate classes, get assignments early and obtain extensions. Teachers are fine. It's me with the increased stress level.   Know that it can be done, but if your kiddo (or you) needs a full blown spring break to re-energize, then it might not work so well for your family.  

• Like 4

For us, we don't start school until after Labor Day and are usually out of town until end of August. So for us, we have to deal with the classes that start mid-Aug to have access early or know what minimum books we'll need to bring out of town over the summer.

But yes, NONE of the online schools have similar breaks. So all should keep that in mind if mid-year breaks are important to you. For us, it's really a moot point.

• Like 1

My son will be in 9th grade. I’m constantly changing my mind! He really wants to work as independently as possible, so I’m trying to stay in a certain budget but accommodate that. Here’s our tentative plan:

Teaching Textbooks - Algebra 1

Apologia Science (either physical or biology) - this would be at co-op

World History - not sure, maybe ACE

English - Essential in Writing & Essentials in Literature or BJU English 9 online - not sure

Home Economics (with me)

Spanish 1 - not sure yet

Co-Op 1 day week - their schedule is not out yet, but hopefully he will take two academic classes and 2 electives - depending on what’s offered may change above choices

• Like 2

The oldest is graduating.  New territory!

DS 11th

Economic/Govt..local class

theology..local class

logic..local class

Pre-calc..DO

Physics..DO

German..me somewhat following kolbe plans and adding my own stuff

English  DE

guitar lessons

Cross Country in the fall

I'm quoting myself for easy reference.  DS is a strong student.  He likes science and is good at math and STEM in general.  He's also good at writing. He's the strongest math/science person in our family, including both parents so it's a bit different planning his 11th - 12th grade years.  

I'm wondering about taking SAT II for science and math.  What are the benefits?  Is this usually a plus?  If so should he take SAT II math 1  this spring after Algebra 2?   Or Physics SAT II after next year?

While he is very good at math, it is easy for him and he likes it he doesn't just downright love it.  He really likes science, tech and then also he likes writing and debate/conversation style classes such as history.  

If you have already graduated a student like this what would you plan?  I guess what I'm worried about is level of challenge and when to step up the DE for more courses and what progression.

DO has special extras if you are prepping for Physics. There are documents as part of the program. Just look for them when he's done & make sure he has some time to study a couple more things. I'd do Math 2 after Pre-Calc next year. Math 2 has a more forgiving curve. You can take three at the same time, but two is more do-able.

Some universities ask for two or three SAT IIs. (I just saw Tulane requires two from homeschoolers.) I don't know these things by personal experience - just by following along on here.

I'm wondering about taking SAT II for science and math.  What are the benefits?  Is this usually a plus?  If so should he take SAT II math 1  this spring after Algebra 2?   Or Physics SAT II after next year?

I can't help with your other questions as I don't have a kid like that.  :laugh: I'll let the Hive masters help!

• Like 1

DD will be in 10th grade:  

AP Calc (FLVS)  First year without Mr D, so DD is totally bummed.  We thought of DE, but will wait till 11th grade as getting an AA degree isn't a priority for us.

AP Physics (Johns Hopkins)  She should take chemistry but really wants more physics.  I blame it all on Ms Jetta!  

English (Open Tent Academy) *

History (Open Tent Academy) We'll know which history once OTA releases its schedule mid-February. 

ASL (Currclick and possibly working with a local interpreter for more immersion)

Latin Roots (Lukeion Fall 2018)  Or possibly another OTA class. 

Greek Tragedy (Open Tent Academy Spring 2019)

This summer:

Finish second semester Anatomy and Physiology (FLVS)

4-week pre-med camp

Drivers education (FLVS)

* English 10th grade Honors (FLVS) It's either OTA English during the school year or FLVS in the summer.  She works at a very slow pace so we're both concerned time management may be a real challenge this coming year. 

She'll continue volunteering at two hospitals - 4 hours at each.  And coordinating projects at the one hospital (i.e., crocheting newborn hats for American Heart Month in February).  

Acting class and latin groove dance class. 

Continue working on the Congressional Award program. She really needs to start planning for her big trip. 

Can you share your experience with open tent academy?

10th grade:

The parts I'm pretty sure about:

Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra.  

Mystery of History vol 2

Writing - homegrown activities we use in conjunction with history.  

Winston Word Works and when we're done maybe Advanced Grammar.  Or maybe I just throw a party that she's made it this far and call it done.

The parts I'm not sure about:

Lit: Probably BJU Press Literature or something similar, because as much as the idea of an anthology KILLS me, the idea of reading a full novel kills her so... compromise.

Science:  ????  So far the only science she's liked has been watching Crash Course videos (she's watching Chemistry right now) so maybe I'll have her watch CC Biology or Ecology.

If she wants to take another art class at the community college we'll add that in, too.  

It's okay to not be college-bound.  It's okay to learn at a different pace.  There are many, many ways to have a happy life.  

• Like 9

We have had a very positive experience with Open Tent Academy, London.  The girls' teachers have all been prepared, passionate, eager to teach, and very willing to work with us.  We had a conflict with our schedule this semester and DD14's teachers were most accommodating.  

Feedback on assignments has been timely, comprehensive and full of value - - all teacher comments have been submitted from a positive angle.  The single goal being for the student to learn the material and enjoy the process.

The girls are taking a total of 6 OTA classes and we only had 2 very minor glitches in technology with the live online classes.   

We are a secular family, and while I believe we may be in the minority, this has not been a concern.  OTA advertises itself as "secular, all inclusive" and thus far, we've found this to be the case.  Of course, religion and religious discussions pop up at points during art history class, as religion is the subject of many famous paintings. (Sistine Chapel was studied in class recently.)  Also, during Deaf culture, one discussion board question asked students to list ways they identify themselves (i.e., gender, country, religion, hobbies, etc.)  Most students noted they were Christians, while our daughter stated she's an atheist....along with other defining characteristics.  So far no comments have been posted in response to her statement and I don't anticipate any issue as OTA was designed to be inclusive.

I also feel that OTA truly seeks to work with families and design classes around specific needs.  I've received several notices asking me for input on class topics and scheduling.  I value the opportunity to provide feedback and suggestions. 

If you have specific questions, I'd definitely reach out to OTA.  I've found that they respond promptly to all requests.  

• Like 3

This is my first year planning high school, so I'd appreciate any input:

9th:

Grammar & Composition: Rod and Staff Grammar 9 & Writing With Skill 3

World Literature: Great Books study

Algebra 1: Saxon

Arabic 1

Ancient History: SWB HoAW + Study Guide

Biology: Apologia

Art: 1/2 credit

PE: 1/2 credit

• Like 2

DD will be going into 10th. I'm taking it easy next year.  We've been doing homegrown homeschool since sixth grade.  I need a break from writing all that stuff.  Therefore, since I have the redesigned years 2, 3, & 4 of TOG, we're going back to them for History, Lit, Philosophy, with some of their Worldview materials mixed into our own Bible thing.

For science, I purchased Novare General Physics (We're doing the Conc. Int. Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology rotation).  This will be matched up with GCP Physics lectures. DD's choices for electives will be Falconry (since we're doing Y2), Psychology (using a text and GCP lectures), and continuing her Japanese studies.  We'll fit in TOG's Government as we can as an elective. 

DD absolutely LOVES Robert Greene's books and requested his other three books for her birthday this year (she has the 33 Strategies of War which we used for her Strategy elective this year). We'll incorporate the Laws of Seduction with Psychology and The 48 Laws of Power with her TOG government studies. Again, plenty of GCP lectures will be paired with those two classes and history as well.

Currently for English, we do a mixture of The Greeks & Romans from Roman Roads Media for Lit integrated with weekly dictation to check for spelling and grammar, as well as Daily Grammar Warm-ups and learning about two additional literary devices each week (other than those taught in RR).  Next year we'll do TOG's lit and continue with dictation, daily grammar, and additional literary devices.  These additional components are only done once a week for each, but it keeps her in practice.

Math....Although DD HATES math, she's doing well with Mr. D Algebra.  In fact she says it's the most effective curricula she's had for math in a while.  She's @ 98% with it right now.  So, I'm not sure whether I'll go for Algebra II next or Geometry.  I think she would like a break from Algebra though.  In any case, we'll be sticking with Mr. D!

As always, she'll continue her To-Shin Do (Americanized Ninjitsu) for PE, as well as other outside activities and volunteer work.  

I plan to stick with TOG for the rest of her high school sequence, but will probably use some different books here and there.  I just can't resist tweaking!  :blush: Plus, I usually know which books DD would really dislike and am able to pick alternatives which will engage her more.  

Although it still sounds like a lot, it really will reduce my workload quite a bit for next year.  Suddenly I only have to write curriculum for two classes rather than ten!  Hallelujah!!!

• Like 2

I replied to a similar thread on the Gifted board but it might make more sense here since she's a high schooler.

Dd (11th grade) and I have not decided exactly what she'll be doing next school year.

She is going to take more dual enrollment courses and asked me to arrange her other courses (except foreign languages) to run on a fall/spring semester schedule. Since the DE courses she takes will depend on what is offered online at the time due to her very busy touring schedule, everything is kinda up in the air.

Here is a very general plan... 

Fall:
Physics (at home): I have a couple Teaching Company courses and two texts to chose from
Dual Enrollment: possibly a Films Course and possibly a math 

Spring:
Pre-Calculus (at home)
Dual Enrollment: possibly Western Civ and a Nutrition course

All Year:
Irish Gaelic: (continue with tutor) 
French: Breaking the Barrier 3 (and hopefully a tutor for practice using the language)
Language Arts: continue with current tutor

• Like 1

We'll have our first high schooler next year!  DH wants dd to have several classes online to free up my time for everyone else.  I used to have everything for the next year picked out way before February, but it's been getting harder each year.  This is tentative.

Math: Honors Geometry at Kolbe Academy (or maybe AOPS Geometry at home; dd wants to use it as a supplement if she does the online class at Kolbe)

Science: Biology with lab at Kolbe Academy or home or Conceptual Physics at home

English: Honors Greek Literature at Kolbe Academy

Something else for writing??

History: ??  DD would prefer not to study Greek or Roman history and does not want a textbook.

Spanish: Level 1 at Kolbe Academy

Religion: ??  

Maybe an elective??

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI
  • Like 1

I am also new to high school.  Very, very tentative plans for 9th grade:

Literature: Illuminating Literature: Characters in Crisis

Writing: IEW SICC-B followed by Elegant Essay

Math: Holt Geometry with Prof. Burger online lectures, also looking at Derek Owens ($$ kind of an issue)

History: ???(modern)

Science: Kolbe Academy Honors Biology (w/lab)

Language: Better Chinese: Discovering Chinese Pro; Chinese With Mike: Intermediate; online tutor

Health: homegrown (a full credit is required in my state)

I'd love to work in 1/4-1/2 credit of art as he has talent, but I'm afraid to overload him this year.

Piano, Boy Scouts

• Like 2

Ninth grade plans so far...

1 - Math ~ TabletClass Algebra

1 - English ~ The Power in Your Hands

1 - Science ~ Biology: Concepts & Connections

1 - For. Lang. ~ German: Deutsch im Blick w/lots of supplements (We're learning as a family. It should be interesting!)

That's everything that we're pretty set on. The rest is up in the air.

1 - History ~ History is this boy's thing. He has already covered so much in his free time. When I asked him what he wanted to do next year he suggested German history. I'm using 8's Homeschooling at the Helm to try to come up with a course, but we may end up doing a more general European history. I considered AP European History. Taking the test is what makes me pause. DS has pretty major anxiety about crowds of people. I'm afraid he will find it extremely difficult to be in a room full of people to take the test. That applies to PSAT, ACT, and SATs, too, though. Ugh, honestly this is my greatest worry.

He'll continue with guitar, so I'm sure that can easily become a music credit. I need to figure out PE. NY says he has to have 2 units of PE in 9th-12th, so I guess I do 1/2 unit per year? Perhaps I should do his 1/2 unit of health and 1/2 of PE as his 6th planned credit, then have him keep track of what he does with guitar and how many hours he spends (Ha! That will be waaaaaay more than he needs for a credit!) and write it up at the end of the year. That would give him 7 credits, but only 6 would feel like school to him.

• Like 1

Ds will be a 10th grader. To all of you planning 9th grade for the first time...it will be ok! I was stressed last year and feeling that it was so overwhelming. It’s definitely been a harder year as far as workload but also a really good year and in many ways a lot of fun. 

For 10th grade...

AOPS Intermediate Algebra- he does it himself, not the class.  

Latin III- Most likely with Lukieon. He really likes Lukieon and Latin but needs to decide if he wants to continue to devote as much time to Latin as it requires. 

Beyond that, I’m not sure. 

I’m hoping our co-op will offer Advanced Chemistry. If it does he’ll probably take that. He likes Chem a lot this year. If not, I’ll probably have him do Biology. I would probably just have him do it at home with me since I can teach that. 

We’ve done English and History at home this year with a mix of Great Courses, reading and a couple of Bravewriter classes. That has worked well and we’ll likely do the same thing. I need to talk to him about what he wants to study. We’re doing 20th century history with an American focus this year and it’s been good. 

He did Computer Science with Edhesive and has really liked it. I think he’ll likely do the AP class next year as an elective. Other elective options might be a different math (AOPS Number Theory or a Statistics class). He did Spanish I this year because he is going to Chile for spring break and our co-op happened to offer it. He might do Spanish II next year if it’s offered, but not sure. I think he would really like music theory (he also plays piano) but not sure if he wants to do it. 

We don’t have to report things like PE or Health. He’s a competitive swimmer so exercise is covered. And he should finish his Eagle Scout sometime in the next year. 

• Like 1

10th grade
Jacobs Geometry with Khan Academy
DIVE Chemistry
Notgrass American History-perhaps
IEW SWI C plus lit list

I don't know what else. Im finding he's reluctant to cooperate with courses that *I* put together, but if it's in a lesson plan that someone else wrote, he won't argue with me so much. ALSO I'm finding that he needs to spend less time doing planned work with the rest of us.  Scratch that. WE need him doing less work with the rest of us. Teenage testosterone is no joke. It's making him not so nice and definitely not particularly cooperative. This year has been hard. I have enrollment forms for public school sitting in my desk drawer. DS has expressed he doesn't want to go, but he knows if he doesn't want to submit to me as his teacher at home (and treat the rest of the family like actual human beings), he can go submit to someone else as teacher. So I'm planning next year with that in mind....he may not remain at home.

I'll have two high schoolers next year, and I'm already feeling overwhelmed....

DS 12th grade:

AP European History (at home)

AP English Lit (at home)

AP Biology (GA virtual school...this will be our first time trying out classes on here; I had hoped to knock out biology DE, but it won't work as his school)

Spanish DE 

Math--he'll probably take 2 maths through DE; he's doing BC Calc at home this year, so we're waiting to see the schedule for his college--maybe stats, linear algebra, something else that sounds intriguing....

Econ--probably waiting until second semester--either DE or online with Georgia Virtual school

DS 9th grade:

AP World History (at home--plan is to bring his 7th grade brother along for the ride but supplement so he'll be ready for the AP exam)

Algebra 2 (Foerster)

Biology (Georgia Virtual School)

Spanish (Georgia Virtual School)

English (at home....not sure what yet. He still has Writing With Skill 3 to do, so probably that plus lots of reading and grammar)

Electives: not sure....second semester he'll probably do some kind of programming/computer science class DE, so maybe that plus 1/2 credit for PE 

• Like 1

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings, and it's been a perfect fit. 🙂

I've never used that, but I don't think you need Windows- it covers literary lessons. The sample I looked at for LLfLotR reminds me a bit of the Glencoe or MP Lit guides. We've done LL American. The Late book is better than the Early, but it doesn't do the the vocabulary. Mostly read, comprehension questions and writing assignments.

• Like 1

Ninth grade plans so far...

1 - Math ~ TabletClass Algebra

1 - Science ~ Biology: Concepts & Connections

1 - For. Lang. ~ German: Deutsch im Blick w/lots of supplements (We're learning as a family. It should be interesting!)

That's everything that we're pretty set on. The rest is up in the air.

1 - History ~ History is this boy's thing. He has already covered so much in his free time. When I asked him what he wanted to do next year he suggested German history. I'm using 8's Homeschooling at the Helm to try to come up with a course, but we may end up doing a more general European history. I considered AP European History. Taking the test is what makes me pause. DS has pretty major anxiety about crowds of people. I'm afraid he will find it extremely difficult to be in a room full of people to take the test. That applies to PSAT, ACT, and SATs, too, though. Ugh, honestly this is my greatest worry.

He'll continue with guitar, so I'm sure that can easily become a music credit. I need to figure out PE. NY says he has to have 2 units of PE in 9th-12th, so I guess I do 1/2 unit per year? Perhaps I should do his 1/2 unit of health and 1/2 of PE as his 6th planned credit, then have him keep track of what he does with guitar and how many hours he spends (Ha! That will be waaaaaay more than he needs for a credit!) and write it up at the end of the year. That would give him 7 credits, but only 6 would feel like school to him.

German history is a bit tricky at the high school level. Even in Germany high school students learn European history rather than German history. (There are history textbooks in English written for bilingual schools in Germany. They cover European history.) You could definitely do European history with a German focus, if that would appeal.

German history is a bit tricky at the high school level. Even in Germany high school students learn European history rather than German history. (There are history textbooks in English written for bilingual schools in Germany. They cover European history.) You could definitely do European history with a German focus, if that would appeal.

Thanks. And yes, trying to find resources made it pretty obvious that we were going to have to do a general European history and not just German.

I'm going to use this opportunity to put down what I hope we will be using for next year, but my 14 yr old dd has talked with us about transitioning to public or private school next year so who knows what will happen.  We're talking about the options and weighing the pros and cons of both.  We'll see.

So, if she stays home - this is for 10th grade:

Precalculus @ WHA most likely

Honors Chemistry @ WHA most likely

Spanish 1 @ ???  Need to look into this.  

Medieval History @ home with me

English/literature either @ home with me or possible trying out Blue Tent??

Writing @ WTMA

ASL as an elective

Probably a culinary class as DE or @ an online school if I can find one

Edited by jjeepa

She will jump into the Great Books study at the same place. I have always kept them on the same schedule. She will just move up from logic work gradually to the higher level books.  History of the Renaissance World as history text. The Geography Coloring Book

2_girls_mommy, I'm thinking ahead for us and wondering: I think the History of the Renaissance World ends around 1450; do you plan to do everything through modern in the next year, or break it up into two years, or something else?  Thanks for your thoughts on this!

2_girls_mommy, I'm thinking ahead for us and wondering: I think the History of the Renaissance World ends around 1450; do you plan to do everything through modern in the next year, or break it up into two years, or something else?  Thanks for your thoughts on this!

I honestly don't know! I have had this same wondering since we started the seriesj about how I was going to handle it. I have asked the question on here and haven't gotten a super clear answer from anyone on what they did either. 

I actually have it on hold at the library to look through right now, but haven't gotten my hands on it yet. I don't know if it is as long as the others and if it will take a full year or not. My hope would be to continue through a bit more chronologically next year so that by senior year (and sophomore for my youngest) that we can cover American History and Goverment simultaneously. 

We're on our 2nd year of the series and we do the history papers with each literature book from the Great Books lists as from WTM using all of the suggested resources, plus films, projects, art history lined up, read alouds and audio books, and classical studies each year getting ready for National Latin Exams. So I am hoping we can cover enough continuing this way and by picking up whatever WTM suggests for the next history in the line up. WTM has worked for me so far for history/lit. 

If I have any more clarity after looking through the book in the next couple of weeks, I will message back, but honestly I may not have time to really think about it for a few more months with everything I have going on with planning right now. 

• Like 1

Still working on our 10th grade plan but here goes.

Algebra 2

Honor's Chemistry

AP Psychology

BraveWriter/DE English

Geography

Choir 

Theater

PE/Dance

Extras: piano & violin lessons, volunteering at local hospital(CA) & Red Cross

Summer: Shakespeare reads & theater, volunteer camp counselor, Driver's Ed

Here's what we're thinking so far.

Great Books I with CLRC

Intro to Logic with CLRC

Latin III with Lukeion

Biology with WTMA

Pre-Calc with Derek Owens (she will probably have some Geometry to finish up first)

Chinese III - possibly with The Potter's School, or maybe just going through the same curriculum with a tutor.

She'd also like to try Edhesive's Intro to Computer Science but that will probably need to wait a year.

So, DD#1 & I sketched out ideas for classes - all depending on the local college schedule that won't come out until March or April. She'll be a senior:

Chem @ local state college

German 2 @ CLRC

Spanish 5 (unsure what this will be at this point)

Calc (outsourced, but unknown provider at this point)

English (state college fall semester or CLRC Brit Lit whole year)

Ancients World History (her preference, I'd like her to do Contemporary WH, this will be at home - probably only one semester, spring)

Programming - Java - probably fall semester through Excelsior if the time works

Norse Mythology - elective, fall semester through CLRC if the time works & they offer it

History of Country Music - fine arts elective designed by dd, spring semester

DD#2 (all on own or with me) - 10th grade (with option to reclassify it 9th grade if she needs an extra year):

Geometry 

Chem (Guest Hollow non-mathy option)

French 2

Art History (aligned with history, 1/2 credit)

World History (Light to the Nations 2)

English credit (?? unknown right now)

Linguistics (Ellen McHenry materials, books, Great Course, etc. 1/2 credit)

Art/Drawing elective

Intro to Music (Great Course, performances 1/2 credit)

Everything is very much dependent on being able to schedule everything in. In dd#2's case, it depends on how much time I'll have to teach her in addition to the other three kids.

• Like 1

I think I have mostly decided what to do with Ds13 next year.

Math:Jacobs Geometry

Science: Chemistry with his sister, using Jay Wile's new Chem book

Spanish I: Breaking the Barrier

Mandarin: CLRC

History: 1900's, I've decided to design my own.

Literature: 1900' S, also my own, based loosely on WTM

Computer programming: Khan Academy, plus some projects

Bible/Church History: Explorer's Bible Study + book list (1/2 credit)

Geograpghy (1/2 credit)

We decided to hold off on Greek to see how Chinese goes this semester and next year.

Edited by Meriwether
  • Like 1

My oldest went to public school in 9th grade (now 11th), but I'm homeschooling my second son for high school and I thought I knew what he'd do and that I was comfortable with it, but now I'm just not sure. Here's the plan as of now:

Bible: MFW Old Testament
History: MFW Ancient History
Language Arts: MFW Ancient Literature

Science: Discovering Design with Chemistry (labs with co-op)

Math: Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2

Foreign Language: Visual Latin?

Electives: Logic:Fallacy Detective & Thinking Toolbox (1/2 credit), Another Elective: ? (1/2 credit)

Extracurricular: Piano Lessons, PE Co-op, Student Council, Trail Life Boys

I'd like to have him take another 1/2 credit elective in addition to a 1/2 credit logic elective, but I'm not sure what. He's not sure what else he's interested in taking. He's tried a few things in his middle school years, but nothing that he wants to continue besides Latin. I'm also not sure about Latin. He's taking First Form Latin this year, but I've heard good things about Visual Latin, so I was thinking of switching him to that, even though he does great with FFL.

• Like 1

We have had a very positive experience with Open Tent Academy, London. The girls' teachers have all been prepared, passionate, eager to teach, and very willing to work with us. We had a conflict with our schedule this semester and DD14's teachers were most accommodating.

Feedback on assignments has been timely, comprehensive and full of value - - all teacher comments have been submitted from a positive angle. The single goal being for the student to learn the material and enjoy the process.

The girls are taking a total of 6 OTA classes and we only had 2 very minor glitches in technology with the live online classes.

We are a secular family, and while I believe we may be in the minority, this has not been a concern. OTA advertises itself as "secular, all inclusive" and thus far, we've found this to be the case. Of course, religion and religious discussions pop up at points during art history class, as religion is the subject of many famous paintings. (Sistine Chapel was studied in class recently.) Also, during Deaf culture, one discussion board question asked students to list ways they identify themselves (i.e., gender, country, religion, hobbies, etc.) Most students noted they were Christians, while our daughter stated she's an atheist....along with other defining characteristics. So far no comments have been posted in response to her statement and I don't anticipate any issue as OTA was designed to be inclusive.

I also feel that OTA truly seeks to work with families and design classes around specific needs. I've received several notices asking me for input on class topics and scheduling. I value the opportunity to provide feedback and suggestions.

If you have specific questions, I'd definitely reach out to OTA. I've found that they respond promptly to all requests.

Hi LAR,

What’s the workload like in OTA’s writing classes? I read the syllabus and it said to expect students to do 30 minutes daily. Did you find that to be accurate?

Thanks!

Carol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Next year will be my last year of homeschooling!  My youngest will be in 12th grade.  It's the end of an era for me and I'm trying to prepare myself.  

She was pretty independent and she basically unschooled with a little bit of structure from a co-op she wanted to attend until about 7th grade.  8th grade was almost completely unschooled but she started formal high school studies with gusto because she wants to study musical theater in college, so she's very oriented to achieving that goal.  However, she was waylaid by Hashimoto's thyroiditis this year.  I realize she was starting to struggle a bit all of her 10th grade but it got really bad in May and continued all summer.  Finally she got a diagnosis in August and we are still trying to get her meds right.  It's been a hard year for her.  My usually busy, energetic, in love with life daughter turned into a depressed, lethargic, emotional wreck.  She is doing slightly better but still not up to normal. They just upped her synthroid.  Hopefully, she's on the road to feeling normal though.  We are banking on that!

So, plans for next year:

Math - finish up Saxon Algebra II and do the 1st 3rd of Advanced math (that will give her credit for Alg I, II and Geometry)  This year has been really super slow getting through math, which was always her weakest subject.  Her brain fog really hit hard in being able to process math.

Science - she wants to take Physics at the local high school co-op.  4 out of 5 of my kids have taken this class from a local homeschool mom who was an engineering professor at Lehigh University before she became a homeschooling mom.  

Elective - Psychology - Dd has become super interested in psychology because of her own depression.  She watches youtube videos on psych a lot.  We thought there was a local high school class offered but it doesn't look like that will work for us timing and location-wise.  So she might do Oak Meadow's AP Psychology.  Or we might use Sonlight's plans.  Still figuring this one out.

Humanities - history/religion/literature/writing - My very last time planning and implementing a course for my teen!

History - Didache History of the Church -  This is a Catholic textbook which is really well written.  I will probably supplement it with documentaries, etc. to sort of round it out into more of a world history.  

World Literature - I'm trying to compile a list of shorter works (novellas, essays, plays, poetry) to both trace the arc of history the history textbook follows as well as trying to incorporate works from many different countries and continents.  I'm going to have her write a senior paper on a country and work we didn't cover.

We are hoping this summer, she gets her driver's license.  She wants to take a dance class and I'd love for her to drive herself back and forth!  Also this summer she needs to take a SAT prep course.

She'll continue voice lessons and she has to do a senior recital at the end of the year which the teacher makes a huge deal.  This is good though because she needs to audition for musical theater departments.

She also is hoping to be in the local community theater's production of Little Shop of Horrors next year. 

• Like 2

My youngest will be a rising 8th grader, but taking a full high school load.  I am not sure if he will follow my older son to private high school or whether he will continue on at home/DE after that.  These decisions are so hard.

Math:  Mr. D Math Algebra II (at co-op)

Science:  Apologia Bio (at co-op) - not thrilled, as I prefer secular science.  We may do WTMA Bio but do the labs at home ourselves, or something else

History:  Ancient History (through WTMA)

Literature:  Ancient Lit (through WTMA)

Writing:  WWS III (through WTMA)

Spanish:  signed up for "Intro to Spanish I" (at co-op, not enough for HS credit) but thinking about Spanish I (or another lang) through WTMA

Elective:  Personal Finance (at co-op)

DS13 really wants to be an aeronautical engineer.  I feel like I need to do some research about classes out there that would be a good fit for him - maybe even some computer classes or something like that.

• Like 1

Rethinking this!  I had previewed it before and thought we could just edit out the Christian content like we did with Jump In.  However, just now as I was pre-reading and preparing for next year I ran across pro-gun and anti-abortion content that I hadn't seen before. I need to find something else, because while I'm fine with discussing how other people feel about these topics I am not ok with how they were presented in this instance.  I'm not even sure I want to read further to see if I can just delete that section.  

Nik liked the Jump In format, though, so I need to find something else that is similar.  I have BraveWriter Help for High School, but he did not like BW when we tried to use it in elementary.  He is also not a fan of Writing with Skill.  Off to research what else might be a good fit for him for non-fiction writing.

• Like 2