Menu

Cruzar o Morir, el drama humano de los inmigrantes

bibiche

Here's a video about the current humanitarian crisis in Central America and the struggle of people trying to escape it. It's in Spanish, but you can understand the suffering even if you don't speak the language.

And the first in a five (?) part series on "La Bestia" AKA "El tren de la muerte."  The first should take you to the following videos. I think it is the second one that introduces you to the many people who have lost legs falling under the wheels of the train.

And a book I very highly recommend, written by Jason De Leon, an anthropologist and a 2017 MacArthur Fellow (the "genius" award):

The Land of Open Graves: Living and Dying on the Migrant Trail

Here's a short interview with him: https://longreads.com/2017/10/18/an-interview-with-macarthur-genius-jason-de-leon/

And a little article from Archaeologyhttps://archive.archaeology.org/1101/features/border.html

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 6

And journalist Oscar Martinez' award wining book, The Beast: Riding the Rails and Dodging Narcos on the Migrant Trail, has been translated into English.  Seriously and literally, he walked the walk and rode (well, "clung to the top of" the train.

People who do this aren't coming in hopes of "a better life."  They're coming in hopes of "life."

• Like 7

Incidentally, a drowned river-crosser was discovered last week here in Big Bend National Park. Commercial river guides discovered his body floating in the Rio Grande. The saddest part is that no one on either side of the border has reported anyone missing. He's completely unidentified at this point.

Sadly, that is not at all unusual. :(

https://theintercept.com/2017/07/01/in-texas-the-bodies-of-migrants-who-perished-in-the-desert-provide-clues-to-the-living/

And journalist Oscar Martinez' award wining book, The Beast: Riding the Rails and Dodging Narcos on the Migrant Trail, has been translated into English.  Seriously and literally, he walked the walk and rode (well, "clung to the top of" the train.

People who do this aren't coming in hopes of "a better life."  They're coming in hopes of "life."

Thanks, Pam. I haven't yet read this so I ordered it.

• Like 1

I read this book about a year ago on Pam's recommendation. I highly, highly recommend it too. It should be required reading for everyone.

• Like 2