Menu

2018 Game Reviews

xixstar

We got Secret Hitler for Christmas this year. It was a HUGE hit. I mean, to the point where the was no question what we would be playing between 7-9 every night. The only question was how many rounds would we play. 

This was our first deception based game, so that might explain our being so enamored with it.  It was a little hard to parse the directions at first, even though game play is really quite simple we had just never played anything like it. At the beginning of the game you get secret roles -- liberals, fascists, and hitler. Depending on the number of the players (and the amount of players MUST be at least 5, which puts it out of realm of a lot of families) by secret gestures the fascists reveal themselves to their own teammates while liberals are in the dark. Then the gameplay consists of elections, enacting policies from a policy deck (not actual policies, however -- just liberal or fascist tiles) and then moving on to more elections. Five liberal policies passed or hitler assassinated wins for liberals, 6 fascist or Hitler elected by the third round wins for the fascists.  With every fascist policy stronger power is unlocked for the government in charge.  

It was so much fun attempting to discover other peoples' roles as everyone attempted to appear trustworthy to each other and also turn people against others. The only downsides were when we started to figure out people's "tells", and when we trust someone implicitly and find out we've elected Hitler it can be a little devastating, lol. 

This game is best for 12 and up I think... at least my kids would have probably struggled a little with it last year. It's hard teaching them not to lie, except in deception games! So they aren't quite skilled at being believable when trying to get people to trust them. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I played many rounds of Quiddler recently with my sister (during my mother's last days).  It's a fun game for those who like word games.

Also recently played Exploding Kittens with half a dozen family members aged ten through adult.  It's an entertaining game.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Not sure I could buy a game where we pretend to be Hitler. I think I'd have to surrender my membership in the tribe.

Can't wait to see a review on Scythe.

My kids had a hard time - they never wanted to be a fascist... until they got tired of being a good guy all the time!

It's really less about the history than about psychological manipulation and bluffing- I was never good at it, while my husband was the best one and almost always was on the winning side. But he said it was pretty painful to have to lie like that - most of his classes he teaches at the Marine Corps university are on ethics, moral injury and moral leadership. It really went against the grain to try to win people to your side and throw doubt on other people's motivations!

Didn't stop us from playing it over and over though:-)

• Like 1

Not sure I could buy a game where we pretend to be Hitler. I think I'd have to surrender my membership in the tribe.

Can't wait to see a review on Scythe.

Get the Werewolf game instead, it sounds like the same concept.   People are villagers unless they are the werewolf.   Every turn (day), the group tries to kill the werewolf by 'hanging' their suspect(s).  Then (night) the werewolf picks a villager to die.  Then it starts again the next day.   When you get more people then you start adding other characters and a second werewolf.  You need someone to play moderator.   The villagers hung are by vote.  

• Like 1

More reviews! 

Viticulture Essential  Edition - https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/183394/viticulture-essential-edition

Basic concept is that you're trying to establish a vineyard over several years; you're planting vines, harvesting grapes, aging and making wine, and filling orders. You're also giving tours and other actions to help with cash flow. It is a worker placement game with two phases each year/round and you have plan to use your workers appropriate - you start with a couple and can train/pay for some more. Each year, all the workers get to select their turn order based on a chart that offers various bonuses, you have to decide if the bonus is worth more than going earlier. Each action on the board has a bonus for being the first one to take that action and there are limitations to how many people can take a specific action. The game ends when someone reaches 20 points, though everyone is able to finish out the year so just because someone gets to 20 points first, that doesn't mean they'll automatically win. You get points from different actions on the board, filling wine orders, and bonus cards. 

I love the theme of this game; I love worker placement games. Viticulture offers different ways to get points and win, which is also nice. I like that you're mostly working on your own plan though it's good to always have good backup ideas if you were hoping to take an action (or specifically one with a bonus action) and someone else takes it first.  There is enough going on that I wanted a note pad to keep track of my plans - I lost the second game because mistook one of my planned actions and notes would have helped.  The game moves along at a good pace, mostly people don't seem to get stuck trying to decide their next actions though sometimes it moves quick enough that you're not quite ready to take action when your turn rolls around. 

It sounds like there are a couple editions of Viticulture and this is a newer version that combines some elements of expansions that were added to the first printing. From other players, they all say to go with Essential Edition to get the best game and also best bang for the buck. The multiple versions may cause some challenging in finding clarity on rules because of the different versions.  All the components are great - little wood figures, plastic markers to track grapes and wine, and nice cards and player mats. From a crafty perspective, I want to make an acrylic overlay for the player boards to help hold pieces in proper place, it's easy to bump the board and accidentally shift all your grapes and wines.

I really enjoyed this game. I managed to win the first time we played and, if it weren't for one mistake, I would have come close to winning the second game too. This one will be going on my Christmas list this year. 

• Like 2

Scythe - https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169786/scythe

Scythe is quite the popular game lately, it seems to be getting all the chatter in game groups and it certainly had a very enthusiastic group at the game meetup that were excited to play it again - excited enough to play with one player (me) that didn't know how to play.  Before the meetup, I had watched a couple videos on how to play, so it was a fairly quick to learn, but I was grateful to have watched the videos.

This game has a lot going on, each player has unique power abilities and a unique combination of actions they can take - so that adds to having variability with each game. While I feel like I got the game play down, I was still missing a bit of the purpose or intentions of the game and ended up going without any type of strategy -- but that isn't unusual in a new game.

You're working to control area on the board, generate resources, and fullfill specific goals. Once one player achieves 6 of the goals, the game ends immediately and points are tallied - the player with the most points wins.

This isn't really a fighting game, which I appreciated, but there are some attack elements in the game - though I think there was only 2 attacks in the entire game I played. But, because there is so much going on for your own player, it's easy to lose track of what others are doing -- this too was probably due to learning the game and will probably be less of an issue later on.  I feel like I would have been a much stronger player if I had been aware of what the other player's special skills and movements were.

Like I said, this game has a lot going on - there are worker placements, build actions, actions that give you bonuses when the adjacent opponents take specific actions, and just a lot happening. I did not enjoy playing this, but I think it was because I was learning and playing with people that were well versed in the game and I felt like maybe I was in the way. I think I would really enjoy playing this and learning more with a few people at my level - I think it would take about 2-3 game plays to really cement a strategy approach to playing. 

I thought the theme of this game would interest my spouse, but having played it, I doubt he would care for it (Viticulture would probably interest him more). The theme did not come through clearly to me while I was learning - I think it would have if I had read the manual or if I was not feeling rushed to not slow the other players down. It moved quickly and it was interesting to play out all the actions - again, I think a note pad would be helpful for keep tracking of what I wanted to do next. But overall, I wouldn't jump at playing this game again unless I got to play with people that were also new to the game or with a very friendly group in general. After a few more plays, I might be more impressed, but right now, it's not high on any lists. 

• Like 2

More reviews! 

Viticulture Essential  Edition - https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/183394/viticulture-essential-edition

Basic concept is that you're trying to establish a vineyard over several years; you're planting vines, harvesting grapes, aging and making wine, and filling orders. You're also giving tours and other actions to help with cash flow. It is a worker placement game with two phases each year/round and you have plan to use your workers appropriate - you start with a couple and can train/pay for some more. Each year, all the workers get to select their turn order based on a chart that offers various bonuses, you have to decide if the bonus is worth more than going earlier. Each action on the board has a bonus for being the first one to take that action and there are limitations to how many people can take a specific action. The game ends when someone reaches 20 points, though everyone is able to finish out the year so just because someone gets to 20 points first, that doesn't mean they'll automatically win. You get points from different actions on the board, filling wine orders, and bonus cards. 

I love the theme of this game; I love worker placement games. Viticulture offers different ways to get points and win, which is also nice. I like that you're mostly working on your own plan though it's good to always have good backup ideas if you were hoping to take an action (or specifically one with a bonus action) and someone else takes it first.  There is enough going on that I wanted a note pad to keep track of my plans - I lost the second game because mistook one of my planned actions and notes would have helped.  The game moves along at a good pace, mostly people don't seem to get stuck trying to decide their next actions though sometimes it moves quick enough that you're not quite ready to take action when your turn rolls around. 

It sounds like there are a couple editions of Viticulture and this is a newer version that combines some elements of expansions that were added to the first printing. From other players, they all say to go with Essential Edition to get the best game and also best bang for the buck. The multiple versions may cause some challenging in finding clarity on rules because of the different versions.  All the components are great - little wood figures, plastic markers to track grapes and wine, and nice cards and player mats. From a crafty perspective, I want to make an acrylic overlay for the player boards to help hold pieces in proper place, it's easy to bump the board and accidentally shift all your grapes and wines.

I really enjoyed this game. I managed to win the first time we played and, if it weren't for one mistake, I would have come close to winning the second game too. This one will be going on my Christmas list this year. 

We got this one recently, but it's still in shrink-wrap. I think my husband and I will both enjoy it quite a bit. Thanks for the review -- your enthusiasm has motivated me to push to get this to the table. :) 

• Like 1

DH, DS11, and I played Charterstone (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197376/charterstone) for the first time last night.

In Charterstone, players are competing to earn points as they "colonize" lands, creating a unique, shared village. Charterstone is a "legacy" game, which basically means that as you play game after game, you are discovering new rules, new aspects, new goals, AND you are making permanent changes to the game. Because of that, I don't want to give any spoilers. Besides, every game is unique and depends on how each group makes decisions. I will say that as of our first game, we have already applied stickers to the board AND have written on various components in marker. It was a little stressful to me (not playing the game, but just making those permanent changes), but still a really fun idea.

Charterstone is essentially a worker placement game -- meaning, you place your little worker dude on a location, and then take the action indicated by that location.  Through building and using locations, collecting and spending resources, and pursuing other goals, you earn victory points. There is a winner for each game, but there will also be a winner for the all-over campaign, which I believe lasts 12 games. 

After playing 12 games, which is the game's "campaign," you are left with a board unique to your group's experience, which you can then continue to play with. You can also buy a "recharge" pack, flip the board to its other side, and do the campaign all over again.

After game 1 last night, we found ourselves having just gotten the hang of things, and eager to play more. Unfortunately, my husband is traveling for work this week, so the next game will have to wait for the weekend, but we are excited at the prospect of seeing how this game plays out. This is our first legacy game, and I really think we'll love it. My 11-year-old caught on easily as well. The game says age 14+, but that is more related to game/toy regulations in Europe (pretty sure Europe...could be wrong on this) than "ability to play." 10-12 is probably a good starting range, depending on how much they game.

Some considerations if you are interested in this game:

* It's best to stick with the same group of players throughout the campaign. Although the game gives instructions for adding/dropping players, I think the "story arc" of your game will flow better with a consistent group, and maintaining an even experience level with the game will help things go more smoothly.

* Definitely watch the "How to Play" video before playing. Although the game makes it sound like you can just take out the first card and GO, there is definitely a learning curve, and the teaching video helps tremendously.

* There is a Facebook group for the game where other players, as well as the designer himself, are quick to answer questions and help out. Just be careful; you might see spoilers if you are not judicious in which posts you read/click. Part of the game's fun is discovering things as you go along with your group. Charterstone Board Game

Edited by callapidder
  • Like 2

La Granja - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146886/la-granja

A cute little farm building game with a lot going on. You're building farms by adding fields and paddocks, producing food for market, going to market, managing resources and actions.  There are 4 phases to each round and 6 rounds in the game.

I like games that have a definite ending point, I feel like I can work out my strategy to completion and won't have the game ending suddenly on another players turn. Of course, you're still working around other people's actions, so you plans can go awry if you were planning on taking something someone else selected, but that doesn't feel like a make-or-break factor in this game because you're also doing so much on your own farm. 

The game contains player boards, a central game board, dice for one of the phases each round and cards that players can activate. There are also little wooden markers that represent various items in the game based on where they are placed. 

I love how the cards can be used in 4 different ways for each card which adds to your options and gives you lots of choices for strategy - for example, one card can be used to add a growing field or be used as a cart to go to market or increase your income per round or give you a special power.

Those special powers are important! I noticed the experienced players performed much better in the game because they selected good special powers. I, unfortunately, chose awful special powers - one that was never useful (had I known more about game play, I would have realized it would never be used) and another that was misread and when it's power was clarified, it was useless and then blocking my ability to add another special power (note - if you're teaching someone a new game and realize you gave them wrong info about a card's power, let them replace it with something else when they realize it's useless for them).

There is a lot going on with this game and it's clearly a game that you'll need to play through at least once to really understand the game and be able to starting working on thinking through a strategy. In comparison to some other games, being a learner for this game feels like a major disadvantage -- I would not want to own this game if it was going to be played with new players frequently. If you have the same group playing again and again, then it could be a lot of fun. 

The day I played, I didn't like the game but I realize in hindsight that it was mostly just frustrations at not understanding so much about the game and realizing when it was way too late that all of my actions were wrong. So - maybe that can also be remedied if someone does a better job explaining the game, but teaching a new game is often hard when there is sooooo many elements to a game. Once you grasp the game, it's simple enough, but it takes a little bit to get there.  Now that I've had time to think about the game, I think I would like to own this game because I like all the mechanisms in the game - but only if I'm going to be playing it with repeat players.

• Like 1

Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205494/machi-koro-bright-lights-big-city

Target's sale got me, so we added this game because on many positive comments from friends. We've played it a couple times now and it's growing on me, but it was not happiness on first play. 

This is a card and dice game where you're building a city with buildings and landmarks. Each turn, you roll a dice (or two, or three), collect income and build.  Income is based on the buildings in your city; each building has an associated number (1-14) and an designated action/income.

If I roll a 2, I may have three #2 buildings that generate 1 coin each when 2 is rolled and I would earn 3 coins. You can also activate income for other players too because some buildings earn income on anyone's turn versus only on your turn and income can come from the bank or from the player that rolled the dice.  The cards are color coded to make it easier to keep track of when you earn income or not - blue cards earn income on anyone's turn, green and purple cards on your turn only, red cards earn income from other players.

To win the game, you must build all 6 landmarks that everyone starts with; each landmark has a cost to build and activates a special power.  

I like that this game has felt different between games, variability it always nice. The box said it would take 30 minutes and we played for over an hour and half the first time - so I think the timing may be off. The next game, with just two players, was closer to 45 minutes, I think. So it's not as quick as it's advertised to be.  This game also takes up a lot of table space --- in time, you may be able to lay all your same number building cards on top of each other, but when you're still learning, you need easy access to read the power on each building and that takes a good amount of space on the table.

Strategically, you need a basic understanding of probability to do well in this game. You can play where you're penalizing other players or not - so that can be a factor for some people too. If you have a child that will always "attack" someone else, this game gives them lots of chance to do that if they fill their city with red buildings. If you don't like penalizing others, you can opt to not take any cards that will, it's all up to you. One game had tensions running high because we were constantly taking each other's money and the next game there were no red buildings in play and it felt like a completely different game.

Overall, I think this will be a good family game but it's going to take a little warming time. It is quick to teach so that helps a lot and is fairly accessible to everyone - the table space needed and longer playing times may have it lingering on the shelf more than I want it to though.

• Like 2

Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205494/machi-koro-bright-lights-big-city

Target's sale got me, so we added this game because on many positive comments from friends. We've played it a couple times now and it's growing on me, but it was not happiness on first play.

This is a card and dice game where you're building a city with buildings and landmarks. Each turn, you roll a dice (or two, or three), collect income and build. Income is based on the buildings in your city; each building has an associated number (1-14) and an designated action/income.

If I roll a 2, I may have three #2 buildings that generate 1 coin each when 2 is rolled and I would earn 3 coins. You can also activate income for other players too because some buildings earn income on anyone's turn versus only on your turn and income can come from the bank or from the player that rolled the dice. The cards are color coded to make it easier to keep track of when you earn income or not - blue cards earn income on anyone's turn, green and purple cards on your turn only, red cards earn income from other players.

To win the game, you must build all 6 landmarks that everyone starts with; each landmark has a cost to build and activates a special power.

I like that this game has felt different between games, variability it always nice. The box said it would take 30 minutes and we played for over an hour and half the first time - so I think the timing may be off. The next game, with just two players, was closer to 45 minutes, I think. So it's not as quick as it's advertised to be. This game also takes up a lot of table space --- in time, you may be able to lay all your same number building cards on top of each other, but when you're still learning, you need easy access to read the power on each building and that takes a good amount of space on the table.

Strategically, you need a basic understanding of probability to do well in this game. You can play where you're penalizing other players or not - so that can be a factor for some people too. If you have a child that will always "attack" someone else, this game gives them lots of chance to do that if they fill their city with red buildings. If you don't like penalizing others, you can opt to not take any cards that will, it's all up to you. One game had tensions running high because we were constantly taking each other's money and the next game there were no red buildings in play and it felt like a completely different game.

Overall, I think this will be a good family game but it's going to take a little warming time. It is quick to teach so that helps a lot and is fairly accessible to everyone - the table space needed and longer playing times may have it lingering on the shelf more than I want it to though.

I really like this game. Though, my dd12 and I add house rules that require you to purchase 5 of the 7< cards before you can build your sixth landmark. This forces us to roll two or three die... Otherwise we are content to only use the 6> cards

• Like 2

note: this is a first reaction off a single game play.

[...]

I think my kids could also play this game - I would say it’s fairly similar to Settles of Catan in overall concept, though you don’t have the whole card collection or rolling for resources aspects, the resources are on the board. And it’s also set up so that you can get penalized if you start taking resources you don’t need. Lots of fun and beautiful to play.  

This game came to live with us and I've played with the kids a couple times now and it is a success. My 9yo is not as enthusiastic about games as her younger sister and myself and she actually asked to play this one again the morning after the first time she played.

I like that while it is not a cooperative game, there is an element of cooperation to it. You need other players to take the resources you exploit to avoid losing points at end game or to access other resources beyond a specific point.  I found that my 9yo and 7yo really enjoyed working together on this game and were far more generous with their moves than I was. 

I think this was a very good addition to our family. It plays up to 4 players so hopefully DH will join us soon in playing, I think he just might like it too. 

Oh and did I mention that it's a lovely game? This game makes me so happy just looking at the box and the board and the little wood figures. :) 

• Like 1

I didn’t play this, but watched a new friend learn to play it. It’s a two player game, no reading involved at all, and has a fun and simple concept of play of trading or selling items to get the most points. It seems simple enough to teach quickly and interesting enough that you can really play some fun games with it. I liked that is has cards and tokens and that you play it to the best out of 3 rounds. This was a cute and quick game, currently on my wish list, that I would be happy to own.  I think my kids would enjoy playing this one too.  I will probably buy this one within the year. 

This was on my wishlist and dh bought it for me for Christmas. We finally played it last night. It's only a 2 player game but that's perfect when only 2 of us want to play something. It's a simple card game where you're really only doing one of two things - buying goods or selling them. It's supposed to be a best of three rounds but you can just play one or two if that's all you want to do. Rounds go quickly and can last as little as 10 minutes. Most seem to be around 20 minutes. 

I'll also add my vote for Splendor. We haven't played in a while but it's one of those games you can play without a lot of serious concentration. We like to play it when we want to just talk and play. I like that it's 2-4 players. There are just 3 of us here so I try stay away from games that need 4 or more players. 

• Like 2

Tokaido  - https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/123540/tokaido

It's a set collecting game in which you take a journey while collecting different types of cards, which eventually give you points. You're making your way across Japan, stopping at various locations, eating fine meals, collecting art panoramas, buying souvenirs, and making friends. You need to collect these things in a set in order for them to give you points. 

While the game isn't difficult, it takes playing it a few times to really get the hang of it and to learn what collecting strategies work well.

My game night ladies and I like to play this often.

ETA: It's for 2-5 players but IME is best with 3 or 4.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

La Granja - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146886/la-granja

A cute little farm building game with a lot going on. You're building farms by adding fields and paddocks, producing food for market, going to market, managing resources and actions.  There are 4 phases to each round and 6 rounds in the game.

I like games that have a definite ending point, I feel like I can work out my strategy to completion and won't have the game ending suddenly on another players turn. Of course, you're still working around other people's actions, so you plans can go awry if you were planning on taking something someone else selected, but that doesn't feel like a make-or-break factor in this game because you're also doing so much on your own farm. 

The game contains player boards, a central game board, dice for one of the phases each round and cards that players can activate. There are also little wooden markers that represent various items in the game based on where they are placed. 

I love how the cards can be used in 4 different ways for each card which adds to your options and gives you lots of choices for strategy - for example, one card can be used to add a growing field or be used as a cart to go to market or increase your income per round or give you a special power.

Those special powers are important! I noticed the experienced players performed much better in the game because they selected good special powers. I, unfortunately, chose awful special powers - one that was never useful (had I known more about game play, I would have realized it would never be used) and another that was misread and when it's power was clarified, it was useless and then blocking my ability to add another special power (note - if you're teaching someone a new game and realize you gave them wrong info about a card's power, let them replace it with something else when they realize it's useless for them).

There is a lot going on with this game and it's clearly a game that you'll need to play through at least once to really understand the game and be able to starting working on thinking through a strategy. In comparison to some other games, being a learner for this game feels like a major disadvantage -- I would not want to own this game if it was going to be played with new players frequently. If you have the same group playing again and again, then it could be a lot of fun. 

The day I played, I didn't like the game but I realize in hindsight that it was mostly just frustrations at not understanding so much about the game and realizing when it was way too late that all of my actions were wrong. So - maybe that can also be remedied if someone does a better job explaining the game, but teaching a new game is often hard when there is sooooo many elements to a game. Once you grasp the game, it's simple enough, but it takes a little bit to get there.  Now that I've had time to think about the game, I think I would like to own this game because I like all the mechanisms in the game - but only if I'm going to be playing it with repeat players.

They honestly have special powers you can choose that are useless? That seems like bad design.

They honestly have special powers you can choose that are useless? That seems like bad design.

It could be that a more experienced player may have been able to use the power. Each card has 4 ways that it could be used, so it seems like that was a card that would have been better suited to use one of its other actions. And, it could be that with multiple plays and more experience, there may be a way to utilize it that I was unaware of -- I still feel like some of the rules and steps of the game needed better explanation (by the person teaching - if I owned it I would read the rules). 

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 1

Ratuki - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/46586/ratuki

I found this game at the thrift store and thought it would be a fun little game that I won't care if the kids play it with the neighbor kids too.

It is a simple speed-based card game.

Each player gets their own color deck, up to 5 people can play, and there are cards 1-5 in various forms: digit, name, roman numeral, dice sides, fingers.  You are all playing on the piles in the middle of the table.  You play cards in numerical order and you can go up or down - so if there is a "3" showing on a pile, I can play "two" or "IV" on top of it. Once you place 5 on a pile, you can take it and place it in your score pile. You can also use one of your two wild Ratuki cards to claim a pile. Everyone is playing simultaneously.

You're trying to be the first to play out all of your cards - you keep 3 in your hand at one time. If you find you can't play a card, you can discard from your hand into a 'junk' pile which later becomes your draw pile when your draw pile runs out. When a player runs out of cards, they yell "OUT" and the game stops. Everyone counts the total cards in their win pile and subtracts any cards in their hand/draw/junk piles. You play multiple rounds until someone reaches 100 points. 

This is a fast little game and that will either appeal to some people or not. I enjoy speed games but I think I'm the only one in my family that does. This is like Blink, in a way, but with multiple players.  I don't know that it'll get much play because I have one child that really dislikes speed games. I think it would be more fun with only kids playing. I'm at too much of an advantage, so far, and even when I purposely went slowly and set up little personal rules to slow me down, I still won by a large margin. 

• Like 1

Ratuki - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/46586/ratuki

I found this game at the thrift store and thought it would be a fun little game that I won't care if the kids play it with the neighbor kids too.

It is a simple speed-based card game.

Each player gets their own color deck, up to 5 people can play, and there are cards 1-5 in various forms: digit, name, roman numeral, dice sides, fingers.  You are all playing on the piles in the middle of the table.  You play cards in numerical order and you can go up or down - so if there is a "3" showing on a pile, I can play "two" or "IV" on top of it. Once you place 5 on a pile, you can take it and place it in your score pile. You can also use one of your two wild Ratuki cards to claim a pile. Everyone is playing simultaneously.

You're trying to be the first to play out all of your cards - you keep 3 in your hand at one time. If you find you can't play a card, you can discard from your hand into a 'junk' pile which later becomes your draw pile when your draw pile runs out. When a player runs out of cards, they yell "OUT" and the game stops. Everyone counts the total cards in their win pile and subtracts any cards in their hand/draw/junk piles. You play multiple rounds until someone reaches 100 points. 

This is a fast little game and that will either appeal to some people or not. I enjoy speed games but I think I'm the only one in my family that does. This is like Blink, in a way, but with multiple players.  I don't know that it'll get much play because I have one child that really dislikes speed games. I think it would be more fun with only kids playing. I'm at too much of an advantage, so far, and even when I purposely went slowly and set up little personal rules to slow me down, I still won by a large margin. 

This was nice when DD was really young as practice that a hand showing five fingers, 5 dots on a die, "5" and "Five" were all the same thing.   

• 2 weeks later...

7 Wonders - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68448/7-wonders

Played this for the first time this weekend with some friends - I played with two other adults and 5 kids ages 5-10, the youngest playing paired with mom.  This game takes a bit of learning so this game was really nothing more than a exercise in learning. My 9yo was frustrated most of the game because she didn't know what to play and I was of no help. Me and my two girls, first time players, got the lowest scores - but again, learning game. I don't think my kids liked it but because they couldn't get past the confusion of learning a new game with many elements. 

Overall, I think it would be a nice family game option to add to our collection -- I love how many players it can accommodate, up to 7.

You're playing across 3 ages and there are different strategies you can pursue to earn points. This is a game where you have a hand of cards to pick from but then pass your hand to the person next to you after selecting a card, so strategically speaking, you're not only picking what helps you but also keeping an eye on what helps those next to you. There are some military/attack aspects, my kids got caught up in attacking each other which ended up being their downfall because it was profitable in terms of overall points. Each player has special attributes, I always like where there are variable strengths among players. 

I hope to play it a couple more times to get a better idea of how much I or my kids would enjoy it before putting it on my "to acquire" list, though it may just be one of those games that is fun to play with others but not worth owning. I'm also tempted to try 7 Wonders Duel, the two player version. My friends say it is a great version and it also simplified the scoring they say the main board makes too complicated. 

• Like 3

Xistar, I haven't played 7 Wonders in a while but I like that one. It took me a while to get the hang of it, and if I don't play it for a long time I have to get my bearings again every time. It's a fun game.

I keep meaning to post about this game for Harry Potter fans.

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199042/harry-potter-hogwarts-battle

It's a cooperative deck building game. You work together to defeat Voldemort and the Death Eaters or they defeat you. Everyone wins or everyone loses. You are one of 4 characters - Harry, Ron, Hermoine, or Neville, and you have certain abilities depending on who you are. Each player on their turn has to reveal a dark arts card and resolve what it says, resolve the villain abilities, buy a Hogwarts card, and finally take a hero action. The actions could be general or specific to your character. Each character has a health board and depending on the dark arts card or villian, all or one player could lose health (if you lose all your health you don't die - you're stunned and sit out a turn). 

The game ends either by defeating all the villians or by the villains defeating the players.

There are 7 levels to the game, just like there are 7 books. We haven't made it all the way through yet because we like to play each level until it gets too easy. There are expansions so you don't have to get tired of playing the same levels over and over once you've mastered it. The first level is pretty easy and it gets harder as you go up. I've seen suggestions to skip the first two levels if you're familiar with deck building games but as a Harry Potter fan I think it's more fun to start from the beginning.

The game is for 2-4 players. I've played it with 2, 3, and 4, and all are enjoyable. 

It's a good family game and though it says 11 and up, you could probably go as low as age 9 if there are parents or older siblings to help guide the younger one.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

7 Wonders - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68448/7-wonders

Played this for the first time this weekend with some friends - I played with two other adults and 5 kids ages 5-10, the youngest playing paired with mom.  This game takes a bit of learning so this game was really nothing more than a exercise in learning. My 9yo was frustrated most of the game because she didn't know what to play and I was of no help. Me and my two girls, first time players, got the lowest scores - but again, learning game. I don't think my kids liked it but because they couldn't get past the confusion of learning a new game with many elements. 

Overall, I think it would be a nice family game option to add to our collection -- I love how many players it can accommodate, up to 7.

You're playing across 3 ages and there are different strategies you can pursue to earn points. This is a game where you have a hand of cards to pick from but then pass your hand to the person next to you after selecting a card, so strategically speaking, you're not only picking what helps you but also keeping an eye on what helps those next to you. There are some military/attack aspects, my kids got caught up in attacking each other which ended up being their downfall because it was profitable in terms of overall points. Each player has special attributes, I always like where there are variable strengths among players. 

I hope to play it a couple more times to get a better idea of how much I or my kids would enjoy it before putting it on my "to acquire" list, though it may just be one of those games that is fun to play with others but not worth owning. I'm also tempted to try 7 Wonders Duel, the two player version. My friends say it is a great version and it also simplified the scoring they say the main board makes too complicated. 

My kids (age 10 and 6) LOVE this game. (Though I think my 6 year old played with someone the one game she played).  I've played three times now and I'm still not usually sure what is the "correct" card to play!  The cool thing is--it is very evenly balanced. You really don't know who is ahead until the "end" of the game because anyway you choose to go is going to be profitable. YES, it is better to specialize somewhere. But it all depends on how the cards come up so you rarely can specialize to a point of being able to pull clearly ahead.

ETA: We have not yet played Advanced rules since we do not feel like we have fully explored the game's current rules yet.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 4

note: again, first reaction based on single game play

You’re building your own Jurassic Park! The colors on this game are a little ridiculous, hello 90s theme! It’s intentional but it also feels a little over the top and silly… but, the bright colors is why I walked over to this game to start with. I got to play with a fancy kickstarter version with all the bells and whistles, so I’m kinda afraid to see what the base retail game looks like because it was the little dinosaurs and other game elements that I liked so much. 

This game has a lot of elements going on, lots to do and factors to consider, but was not too much or impossible to learn. The teaching time to get started was long - I’d guess almost 30 minutes was spent just explaining how to play but once you have all of that out of the way, the game play increases greatly. I think this one would be fun to play multiple, multiple times because there is so much you can do and the game comes with some many variations and plot changes, you’re never playing the same game twice. It also has a solo player feature.  You play rounds until you complete 3 of the 4 objectives, the end can come on abruptly if you’re not paying attention to what other players are doing. Oh - the other great thing with this game is that it has settings to play a shorter, medium or longer game — such a smart idea!

I played with 3 players (it can go up to 4) and it worked great. It was neat to see what the other players were doing and have my own little plan — though my plan failed and I didn’t come close to winning. But now that I know how to play, I have a better understanding of how to win (maybe). This game plays with DNA, builds attractions, build dinosaurs, balances security/excitement/threat levels — your patrons can get eaten by the dinosaurs, but it’s okay, more people will still show up the next day.  This was a lot of fun, I would be happy to own this game if I could fit it into the budget.  As for kids, I think my 9 year could possibly play this game. I think the almost-8yo would get bogged down in all the details. But they’re both a little borderline - it might really need 1-2 more years for them to be able to play it competitively.  

I wanted to mention that today the Kickstarter went live for the updated DI game.  Dinosaur Island: Back from Extinction has options that include the original version in your backing.

http://kck.st/2DkBtgZ

Of course, I went all in.  The original game plus the new 1-2 player game, the Totally Liquid expansion plus all the fancy upgrades.  Now I have 30+ days to figure out how to pay for it before the pledge closes.  

• Like 3

Century Spice Road - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/209685/century-spice-road

Oh, this one is fun! Basic card base engine building game - you need certain spices to buy cities to earn points to win. You get spices from cards you select and you need cards to upgrade cheaper spices for more expensive spices (or to turn expensive spices into several cheaper ones) in order to have the right combination to buy a point card. You get to taken an action on your turn, select a card, play a card, or buy a city. When someone has purchased the game winning number of point cards, the game ends and you total up the points and the highest value wins. 

It is a pretty game, the cards are tarot sized cards and I liked the overall look of the game. The game also has some metal coins, which I always enjoy. My only complaint is that I wish the cubes for spices were colored differently, the green just feels wrong, but it's nice that they include little cups for the spices and I really appreciate it having a place to put the cubes you're playing with. I think this could be a fun one to upgrade a little too and it would be easy to do. 

It plays 2-5 players and I think my kids would enjoy this one and it has a lot of playability. It also seems to play very quickly, maybe too quickly when you're the newbie.  I played with two other adults, but I know they said their kids enjoy the game too. 

Oh and reviewing some of the boardgamegeek posts, there looks to be concern for color blind players since this game uses both red and green resources  -- not sure if it was ever fixed or not, but something to keep in mind if that is a concern.

• Like 3

Love this thread!!

The only hard part is unavailable games (Dinosaur Island I want you!!!)

Patchwork - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163412/patchwork

My daughter & I play this quite a bit.  Basically there are a lot of scraps, and you have to put them together, but be stragetic about picking scraps that will help you.  It takes up a bit of space, but it's calming, and just really satisfying to make a quilt.  It doesn't feel competitve, but, you are keeping an eye on your opponents quilt and trying to outdo her too. Downside is, it's 2 player, and pretty quick.

• Like 3

I wanted to mention that today the Kickstarter went live for the updated DI game.  Dinosaur Island: Back from Extinction has options that include the original version in your backing.

Of course, I went all in.  The original game plus the new 1-2 player game, the Totally Liquid expansion plus all the fancy upgrades.  Now I have 30+ days to figure out how to pay for it before the pledge closes.  

Oh boy! Thank you for the update! Now to think about how to make it happen. 

• Like 2

Oh boy! Thank you for the update! Now to think about how to make it happen. 

Right?!

On the plus side, it's over a month until the project actually funds.

On the down side, that's a lot of $$$ for a board game to go all in. 

But, I think we'd play it.  A lot.   And when I think about how much we've spent on Catan alone, with all the expansions plus the 5-6 player versions... It actually is a lot less than that, so that makes it more reasonable in my mind. 

But yes, actually making it happen? I hope I'm able to make it work so I don't have to back out at the last minute. 

• Like 2

On the down side, that's a lot of $$$ for a board game to go all in. 

I wish some of these games weren't so expensive. Some apparently go out of production for a while and during that time the price jumps. When they start making it again it goes back down.

I really, really want Stone Age but won't pay $60+ for it. It was around $45 or $50 a few years ago and I so wish I grabbed it then. Fortunately a friend has it, so I could borrow it if I wanted to (plus she's a part of my occasional game nights and we often ask her to bring it).

• Like 3

Kingdomino: This is a tile placement game. This game is deceptively simple. Four dominos are drawn and placed in numerical order. Higher numbered dominos have the potential for a higher score, but also result in you choosing your dominos for the next round last. Dominos are played in front of you in a 5 x 5 square. Points are given by the number of crowns in each section multiplied by the number of sections in that territory. This game is simple enough that ds6 can play (though, he sometimes needs reminded of the space restriction), but hard enough that dd12 and I would play with just the two of us.
I love the way you choose dominos. I love the tile placement. I love the art. I’d like to try the expansions to this, but not sure I would buy them. It’s fun, it’s simple, it’s likely one I’d chose to play with my younger kids, but not one I’m going to chose to play with the older members of the family.

Kerala: I was a little concerned about this one. But I really loved it. It’s one I’m going to want to play frequently. It’s not one my dd12 is going to want to play frequently. Her comment was its not one she’d pick, but certainly one she’ll play. In this game players take turns drawing tiles from a bag, one for each person playing. The person who draws gets first choice and then the next player choses which tile he wants from the remaining tiles drawn. The tile is added to your ever-growing board, and your elephants move along the tiles. Then the next person chooses tiles and the rounds continue. There are five colored tiles, some allow you to move tiles or move elephants, others give you points. The object is to only have one section for each color. You get points for certain tiles, and lose them if you have more than one section or if you are missing a color, or if you’ve passed. You get bonus points based on some tiles.

Century Spice Road-I heard good things about this one, and i'm glad to hear your review. People kept comparing it to a more complex version of Splendor. And we play A LOT of splendor. I’ve got this on order, but it is with a preorder of Azul, so eventually we’ll get to play.

• Like 3

I really, really want Stone Age but won't pay $60+ for it. It was around $45 or $50 a few years ago and I so wish I grabbed it then. Fortunately a friend has it, so I could borrow it if I wanted to (plus she's a part of my occasional game nights and we often ask her to bring it).

Great game. My favorite. 

We played The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire over the weekend. DH did a trade for it, or a trial, or we're holding it for a friend of his or something.  :thumbup1:

Previously I've played the original game. It's an interesting worker placement set during the creation of the atom bomb. It has a lot of choices, a lot of ways to make points. Point salad. You recruit and train your little scientists and engineers and send them off to make you things. The only thing we didn't really do is the 'Take That' of the airstrikes (you can sabotage each other). 

Energy Empire is a similar worker placement point salad. Instead of your workers being on cards, you adopt a country (I was Canada, dh was Japan) and have little cardboard guys you send out to mine iron, create science, get money, collect cards to do various actions, dirty the environment, clean the environment, influence the UN. 

If you like doing card combos and having a lot of paths to victory, you would enjoy it. It can be a bit AP because of all the choices. 

DH loves it because he beat me. I thought it was an interesting challenge. I didn't lovelovelove it but I would play it again, as long as I wasn't being interrupted every 5 minutes. 

Before that we played Indian Summer, the new Uwe Rosenberg (Agricola, Patchwork). It's puzzle-y like Patchwork but without Patchwork's succinctness. It took me 2 plays to wrap my head around it because the play isn't a straight Tetris play. The pieces have holes in them which you can fit over a picture on the grid (acorn, mushroom, feather, berries which give you certain abilities if you have them) but you don't always want to fit the hole over the picture. There's another level where the holes can be covered by additional puzzle pieces with animals or birds on them. Plus you're stuck with the pieces you get, unless someone steals one. You have 5 pieces and you have to use them all, in order. Then you get the next 5 in line, no picking and choosing. All of this forces you go use the free single space tiles to finish your grids. A lot. You can't move to the second level or get tokens which help you move forward without finishing that level of the grid. 

After all of this, you lose unless you are the first player to cover your board. And if both of you manage to do that, then the only way you can win is to complete the board and have the most nut tokens. 

It feels like the second layer is pointless. It's very cute and attracts the die-hard puzzler in me (I want the badger! I want the badger!) but in the end it's meaningless. 

Gorgeous game. More intricate puzzle play. Unfortunately, it falls flat for me. 

• Like 1

Darn you, Erika!!! My husband will kill me if I go all in, but I might do it anyway!

• Like 1

I wanted to mention that today the Kickstarter went live for the updated DI game. Dinosaur Island: Back from Extinction has options that include the original version in your backing.

Of course, I went all in. The original game plus the new 1-2 player game, the Totally Liquid expansion plus all the fancy upgrades. Now I have 30+ days to figure out how to pay for it before the pledge closes.

Ugh. I really want this. I keep looking at the page. It might happen. That's more than I normally spend on games. Is it worth it?

It will mostly just be dd12 and I playing. Is it worth it?

• Like 1

Imhotep - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/191862/imhotep

Another new game - review based on single game play (played with 2 other adults). I'd watched a couple reviews on this one so I was fairly familiar with the rules and game play, it was super quick to pick up. You're transporting stones, via boats, to different areas to earn points. On your turn you may place a stone on a boat, dock a boat, or get more stones. It takes a bit of thinking about what your goals are but also your opponents goals too -- and it's easy (pretty much expected) that someone else will end up docking the boat you are on somewhere you were not planning to go.  You have six rounds in the game and each round has a different combination of boats - some with just one or two slots for stone and some up to four -- the slots are avaiable to all players. Points are earned each round and there are some end game scoring options too. 

I was very interested in this game when I first learned about it and almost bought it during the Target sale. However, after watching a couple review games, it started to lose a little of it's luster. I can say that it played out as I expected - I like the options available and the different ways to earn points, but it just didn't feel very exciting while playing it. This would be an easy one to play with my kids and I think they'd really enjoy the boats and docking action, but I think it would take a while for them to think out solid strategies and be competitive. 

One big plus with this game is that it sets up very quickly and it is very quick to explain to someone else. I could see owning it just for that aspect alone. And it is a visually attractive game too. Overall, it's an okay game with a shorter game time (30-40 minutes?) that would be good for new players. So if I was doing game nights with new players, it could be a good addition. But right now, I'd pass it over in favor of other games out there. 

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 2

Ugh. I really want this. I keep looking at the page. It might happen. That's more than I normally spend on games. Is it worth it?

I think it would be fun, my 9yo is probably a bit borderline on playing this game well, I think 12 would be fine. I love that you can play varied length games and there is a lot of variation in goals, I like when games don't feel the same every time. :)  

• Like 1

It really and truly is a great game.  

That being said, if you really think only the two of you will be playing, you can opt in for just Duelosaur at the $35.  It's a two player standalone, so you don't need the base game to add to it and play.    You can always pledge for that and then hope to score a regular DI at some point on the store shelves.

The game has been so hugely popular, I have a hard time imagining that they are not going to ramp up production to make it more accessible. 

• Like 1

I wish some of these games weren't so expensive. Some apparently go out of production for a while and during that time the price jumps. When they start making it again it goes back down.

If you have any small gaming conventions around you, try checking them out to see if they have sales or reverse auction sales. Often you have people selling at a really good price to make room for new games. I think this may be the main way that I am able to add games that I want because the high price tags are hard to get past.

I'm also looking at things in terms of family entertainment and comparing it other opportunities. For example, we might choose to go out to dinner and got to a local community event for entertainment -- that will often cost our family about $50-80 for a single afternoon/evening. I could get a game for that price which will give us many more hours of enjoyment. This works as long as I am mindful to pick games that everyone truly enjoys -- buying speculative games makes this much harder to justify. 

And well, I've already made the habit of buying games for Christmas, so that's a back up too -- but December feels very far away right now. :)

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 3

Some friends had a board game themed party which means... new games to play! And why didn't I think of convincing my child to have a boardgame party instead of a Totoro one? Oh well, next time.

Happy Salmon - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/194626/happy-salmon

What a fun game! It is a fast-paced game where each player has a small deck of cards with various actions on each card: high 5, happy salmon (funny handshake), switcheroo (switch places), first bump. You're needing to find someone else with the same card so you can perform the action and go to the next card - first person to get rid of all their cards wins. 

Super simple and super silly game - great for the right mix of people and the kids really enjoyed it. I think it was fun to play, probably be fun a few times in a group but not totally sure it has long term potential -- but it takes just a few minutes and gets the blood pumping.

King of Tokyo - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70323/king-tokyo

Another fairly simple game once it is explained to you by an adult versus a 5 year old. You're rolling six dice to either get victory points, more lives/hearts, special power cubes, or attack points. You can buy cards with power cubes that give you special powers.  Simple enough game for kids to play but there is a lot of attacking that can happen and I know my kids are still, even at 8 and 9, a little sensitive to being attacked.

I felt like the game went on forever, as we were supposed to get to 20 points to win the game and getting to 11 took forever. But I also had a headache and the dice are big, chunky and very loud when rolled. Once everyone knows how to play, I imagine the game will move a little faster. This would be a quick game to pull out that anyone would be able to pick up quickly, especially a wide range of ages. It has a monster theme that might appeal to other people, visually. I don't think we'd ever buy it (unless it shows up at Goodwill) but wouldn't turn down playing it. 

• Like 2

We learned Battle Sheep yesterday. LOVED it. This is a logic puzzle dressed up for kids. It says 7+ but my 4yo could play. I went through on easy a couple games with him so he could understand, but now he's got it. Or at least the basics. With my dd12, it's no holds barred!

In this game you have a stack of 16 sheep that want to take over the pasture. At the beginning of the game you, and every player take 4 "field pieces" (each piece hold 4 sheep) and build the playing field. The spaces are hexagons, and your sheep move in a straight line.

On your turn you split your stack of sheep into two, and move one stack as far as you can in a straight line, stopping when you run into another sheep or the edge of the field. Play continues until no one can continue. The person who gets most of their sheep into pasture wins.

This is my kind of game. I love logic games. The tiles are heavy and the art is hilariously adorable. It plays quickly. So even if you lose, you can try again quickly.

It's an easy game to scale. Id play with little kids and adults.

I

• Like 5

We learned Battle Sheep yesterday. LOVED it. This is a logic puzzle dressed up for kids. It says 7+ but my 4yo could play. I went through on easy a couple games with him so he could understand, but now he's got it. Or at least the basics. With my dd12, it's no holds barred!...

This does sound good!

Would you recommend this game if only adults were to play?  or do you think of it solely as an enjoyable game to play with children?

Regards,

Kareni

King of Tokyo is a lot better with the Power Up Expansion (adds a layer with individual character power ups). I'd recommend it. We played a lot of Tokyo when our kids were younger.

Thanks - I'll keep and eye out for that. I said I wouldn't buy the game unless it was at GW and today I fond a brand new copy still in plastic for $3.... so it had to come home with me. 

I'm also now seeing that we were missing a few rules when I played before, so now I'm wishing for a snow day tomorrow so we can check it out and see if my opinion improves. 

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 1