Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

texasmom33

Cook or toss?

I took frozen chicken breasts (bone in/skin on) out of the freezer last Tuesday to defrost in the fridge. (They are not vacuum sealed. It was from a massive package that I individually packed into Ziploc freezer bags and then froze last month.) By Thursday night they were still quite frozen so I couldn't cook them. This weekend was crazy and I forgot about them. They're obviously defrosted at this point and still in the fridge. 

They smell okay, but it's practically been a week. Cook or toss? My Mom says toss. What do y'all say? 

Well, with one vote  for toss and one vote iffy this early, I'm tossing it. It's not worth risking food poisoning for $5.00.  Y'all are usually "cook it!" so if it's already this bleak I'm fine with pitching it. :) 

• Like 4

If they smell fine I would cook it. Then I would spend all night awake worrying I had poisoned my family!

• Like 2

I bought chicken yesterday- not frozen- and it had a sell by date of January 19. So that's like six days.  But when you look at Dept. of Agriculture guidelines it says to cook no more than two days after thawing. I'm pretty sure my chicken was shipped frozen, then my store thawed it and slapped a date on it. (Tyson boneless breasts)    I'd REALLY like to know why those two things don't match- the DoA recommendation and the six day away sell by date. 

So really, if you bought it fresh and froze it right away, I'd probably eat it. But if you froze it after it sat in the fridge for a few days (which I am known to do if I'm not going to get around to cooking it when I thought I would) then I'd probably toss it. Reluctantly, though. 

• Like 1

I would toss. Since part of them was thawed for that time, i would toss the package without thought. 

• Like 2

I bought chicken yesterday- not frozen- and it had a sell by date of January 19. So that's like six days.  But when you look at Dept. of Agriculture guidelines it says to cook no more than two days after thawing. I'm pretty sure my chicken was shipped frozen, then my store thawed it and slapped a date on it. (Tyson boneless breasts)    I'd REALLY like to know why those two things don't match- the DoA recommendation and the six day away sell by date. 

So really, if you bought it fresh and froze it right away, I'd probably eat it. But if you froze it after it sat in the fridge for a few days (which I am known to do if I'm not going to get around to cooking it when I thought I would) then I'd probably toss it. Reluctantly, though. 

This is my issue. People gripe about Americans and food waste, but I've yet to find a consistent, logical guideline on much of this. We had a friend whose Dad was a food inspector and man, they would eat SO much that we wouldn't have touched in a million years, but this is one area where my "rule following" nature shines. But we throw away so. much. stuff. It's annoying. But stuff happens and plans don't work out and then what do you do? 

At any rate, I pitched them. We went out for pizza instead. A crappy ice storm is coming tonight anyway, so it was nice to get out of the house knowing we won't for a couple of days. 

• Like 2