Menu

greek myths for 2nd grader?

ktgrok

I got a book from the library and it is terrible....very "this happened and then this happened and then this happen." You know that section of the Bible where it is just "so and so begat that other guy"? IT's like that. 

I want something that is a good STORY that will keep the attention of my 2nd grader, who is NOT advanced in her listening skills. So maybe even more 1st grade level...this is my dyslexic. I will be reading aloud, but she still isn't great at sticking with me. She can barely handle a chapter of Little House in one sitting, if that helps. If I can't find something good I'll just skip it. 

I think DuLuaire's would be too much for a kid like you describe.  I read it in middle school to mine like yours, and it was perfect. 

In elementary school she liked a book from the library called Myths to Read Aloud to Children. It has no illustrations. It is just short tellings. But she liked it so much, I bought a copy to read aloud in short bits to her. The lengths of each myth was perfect. I need to get it out again for keeping them straight actually. :) 

• Like 1

Another easy reader one is by Mary Pope Osborne. Favorite Greek Myths

Her Tales from the Odyssey breaks the story up into several volumes. Very accessible for a 2nd grader. My dd read these til they fell apart.

Yes on the Jim Weiss audio and on D'aulaires' audio. 

• Like 1

Her Tales from the Odyssey breaks the story up into several volumes. Very accessible for a 2nd grader. My dd read these til they fell apart.

We start these (Odyssey) this week! I'm so excited!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My 2nd grader and I are doing an ancient Greek study right now! I'd agree with an above poster that the D'Aulaire's collection might be a bit much. I wonder if your daughter might like "Greek Gods And Goddesses" by Geraldine McCaughrean (out of print, but cheap used on Amazon). It has a clear, engaging style, but the language is rich, and the stories are really done as stories, not (as you say) as a series of "begats". I think there's one large illustration per chapter/myth. 

• Like 2

I forgot about Tales from the Odyssey. I second these. My K and 1st graders last year were spellbound as I did these as a read aloud. This year my DD has reread them on her own. They are great! Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 2