Menu

I'm a little late to the party, but I love aquafaba!!

dsmith

Why haven't I tried this sooner??? I use a can of chickpeas a week; all those wasted opportunities! :001_rolleyes: I tried it in a gluten free pumpkin bread mix, and it came out so much better than I ever imagined it would. I don't think anyone would know it was gluten free, dairy free and egg free. I'm hoping to find a good g/f, dairy free and egg free corn bread recipe for a birthday dinner next week. If you bake with this, I'd appreciate any recipes! I also saw a mayo recipe, but I really love Just Mayo! so I doubt I will try it any time soon. I may consider relaxing my self-imposed sugar restriction to try the meringue recipe I saw. 

• Like 2

I thought it was called “aquafava,†with a v, but I probably just linked it in my mind to fava beans and that was why. I have not used it before, but my vegan friend told me about it.

dd has made meringues with it. Just like regular meringues, they don't like humidity so in my climate you have to eat them fast (such a hardship lol) or seal super super well in a dry box. 

on one of my vegan boards people post their recipes and results with it quite frequently; sometimes it doesn't turn out and it can sometimes vary how goopy the liquid is and how well it froths. I think if you find a result you like, it helps to stick to that brand and that type of bean to optimize odds of future success. 

I have used it to make meringue cookies. I only tried it because I was using chick peas in another recipe. I liked them, but my AU DD could tell they were not the "regular" ones. I might try a stronger flavor like peppermint to see if it will cover the slight bean taste.

My DS liked them, but he did have the typical digestive issues that come from eating beans.

That being said, I was using the chick peas in a chocolate chip blondie recipe that we all liked better than the meringues.