Menu

DS possibly going to public school for 8th; what test to give this year?

My son may possibly enter public school for 8th grade next year. We have a state requirement to give a standardized test every year; I've always done the CAT because it's the most convenient and frankly, the cheapest. :)

However, I'm thinking that a more thorough test might help properly place him in classes next year. 

Recommendations? Iowa/Stanford?

My oldest went to public school in 8th grade. We were able to specify regular or honors track but they wanted to observe him for the first couple of weeks before doing any more specific placement. The school didn't do any testing nor did they care about any testing we had done. Definitely meet with a guidance counselor at the school before paying for more expensive testing.

My oldest went to public school in 8th grade. We were able to specify regular or honors track but they wanted to observe him for the first couple of weeks before doing any more specific placement. The school didn't do any testing nor did they care about any testing we had done. Definitely meet with a guidance counselor at the school before paying for more expensive testing.

This was our experience too. Both of my children enrolled in public school in 5th & 6th grade. They had always been homeschooled up until that point... the school was very low key & nonchalant about it. I came prepared with current portfolios and standardized test grades - they weren’t interested. I would definitely talk with the guidance counselor ðŸ‘ðŸ»