Menu

completely pointless wondering regarding dentists and toothbrushes

SparklyUnicorn

My dentist used to ask what type of toothbrush we used.  He'd give us new head for our electrics.  But, for some reason he stopped doing that and we get a manual now. I never bothered to ask why.  

I use manual toothbrushes when traveling.  Our electrics are so old they have to be recharged every couple of days now.  I may just use manuals when the electric dies completely and see if there is any change at the next exam.

• Like 1

I don't know.  It even has the dental office's name printed on the handle and it is a particularly expensive/nice toothbrush.

So if I'm not to use it for my teeth, what am I to use it for?  It's not even a good one for cleaning cracks and crevices around the house.  LOL

If you don't want to use it yourself, you can always pass it on to your local personal needs pantry.  

While dentists recommend electric toothbrushes as optimal, they are aware that many people find them cost prohibitive.  They also know that most people do not replace any toothbrush, manual or electric, as often as they should.  Buy giving you a free toothbrush the dentist is encouraging you to toss your old one.

• Like 6

If you don't want to use it yourself, you can always pass it on to your local personal needs pantry.  

While dentists recommend electric toothbrushes as optimal, they are aware that many people find them cost prohibitive.  They also know that most people do not replace any toothbrush, manual or electric, as often as they should.  Buy giving you a free toothbrush the dentist is encouraging you to toss your old one.

Oh that's a great idea!

I wish my dentist seemed sensitive to cost issues.  LOL

I do hang onto some for travel (which I rarely do), but I now have quite a collection.  I think I'll donate them!

Because giving out any toothbrush encourages brushing, and manual is cheaper than electric. I prefer my nice fleece gloves, but if someone gave me a cheap pair of knit ones, I’d keep those around in case I lost a fleece one or they got wet or something. So I keep a couple of manual toothbrushes around in case the electric one dies suddenly, or in case there’s an extended power outage, and I kept one in my hospital go bag too.

• Like 1

Well really hygienists rather than dentists I guess.  My hygienist always goes on and on about how I should use an electric vs manual toothbrush.  Ok.  Then on the way out she gives me a bag of stuff and in it is always a manual toothbrush.  That makes no sense to me. 

I have an electric so I don't take the free toothbrush. I do have a manual toothbrush for camping in the bush with no electricity, though. So maybe they are providing that service? ;)

• Like 1

I thought they pushed the electric toothbrushes because they sell them. I had one hygienist go on and on about how the one they sold was much better than the one in stores. I requested a different hygienist the next time.

Our former dentist said we could buy an electric toothbrush from them or anywhere else. I don't think our current dentist sells them (but they still HIGHLY recommend them).

• Like 2

I do know some offices pay commission to sell the brushes.  I'm happy that mine doesn't! And even if they did....I wouldn't do it.  I am NOT a salesperson! LOL

I will suggest buying an electric TB to someone I know would benefit (someone with limited dexterity, a hard brusher, etc)  I personally use a manual TB and so does my family.

I give a TB to every patient regardless if they use an Electric TB or not.  Sometimes someone says no thanks.  It makes up for the people who ask for 2.:) Most people who use Electric TBs say they donate them or use them for travel. 

• Like 1

I have never used an electric toothbrush, and my dentist and orthodontist both are always telling me what great dental hygiene I have. And I rarely floss either, but I always do before an appointment, lol.

Do you consider yourself low, average or high in sugar consumption?

While dentists recommend electric toothbrushes as optimal, they are aware that many people find them cost prohibitive. They also know that most people do not replace any toothbrush, manual or electric, as often as they should. Buy giving you a free toothbrush the dentist is encouraging you to toss your old one.

I just realized my children haven't had a replacement brush since.......I don't know when. Thanks for the reminder. :)

I switched to an electric toothbrush, and started developing some sensitive spots on my teeth.  The dentist told me to switch back to a manual because they were more gentle. I got tired of the conflicting information.

I switched from electric to manual for awhile because the electric hurt my teeth!

I recently switched back again, but we'll see how long that lasts. 

• Like 1

I switched to an electric toothbrush, and started developing some sensitive spots on my teeth. The dentist told me to switch back to a manual because they were more gentle. I got tired of the conflicting information.

It probably depends on the type of toothbrush and how hard you push. I get great enjoyment out of scrubbing the heck out of mine but that isn't great for my gums so I have to be careful.

I think genetics plays a bigger role than anything else in regards to tooth enamel. I didn't go to the dentist for over 12 years when I was poor and it is true I eat less sweets than average, maybe, but the dentist was flabbergasted that I had been away so long and my teeth were perfect.

I did grow up in a town with floride in the water which also may have helped.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2

My kids get new toothbrushes at the dentist, but I don't get one.  My dentist's office keeps those personalized ones in a cup by the bathroom sink.   :ack2:   They are individually sealed in plastic, with a sign encouraging you to take one if you want or use it if you just came from work/school/lunch, but yuck!  People probably pick through them with unwashed, post-potty hands.

I use an electric now.  It does help a lot, but I'm one of those with genetically bad teeth.  Yay me.

It probably depends on the type of toothbrush and how hard you push. I get great enjoyment out of scrubbing the heck out of mine but that isn't great for my gums so I have to be careful.

I think genetics plays a bigger role than anything else in regards to tooth enamel. I didn't go to the dentist for over 12 years when I was poor and it is true I eat less sweets than average, maybe, but the dentist was flabbergasted that I had been away so long and my teeth were perfect.

I did grow up in a town with floride in the water which also may have helped.

When my husband was a kid, cleanings weren't even a thing.  They didn't get cleanings.  His teeth are perfectly fine.

My teeth suck.

• Like 1

I switched to an electric toothbrush, and started developing some sensitive spots on my teeth.  The dentist told me to switch back to a manual because they were more gentle. I got tired of the conflicting information.

Did your El TB have a pressure sensor?  That is one of the biggest advantages to an electric TB.  I have some patients who say the EL TB causes sensitivity.  It is almost always the ones without the pressure sensor.

The vibration of the brush can aggravate teeth that are prone to sensitivity.

Honestly, I think if you set your phone timer to 2(or 3) minutes and concentrate on brushing each quadrant for 30-45 seconds while monitoring the pressure you are using, a manual TB is better than an electric.  It takes a lot of practice and mindfulness though.  And most people(me included) tend to zone out when the TB hits their mouth.

Did your El TB have a pressure sensor?  That is one of the biggest advantages to an electric TB.  I have some patients who say the EL TB causes sensitivity.  It is almost always the ones without the pressure sensor.

The vibration of the brush can aggravate teeth that are prone to sensitivity.

Honestly, I think if you set your phone timer to 2(or 3) minutes and concentrate on brushing each quadrant for 30-45 seconds while monitoring the pressure you are using, a manual TB is better than an electric.  It takes a lot of practice and mindfulness though.  And most people(me included) tend to zone out when the TB hits their mouth.

Never heard of a tooth brush with a pressure sensor.  This must be the expensive model.  LOL

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

I end up donating them to socks of love/Operation Christmas Child/etc. When I notice I have a handful of them on the sink.

Our former dentist said we could buy an electric toothbrush from them or anywhere else. I don't think our current dentist sells them (but they still HIGHLY recommend them).

Our dentist does not sell them. When I asked what I could do, they did recommend an electric and I noticed that my cleanings have gotten better since I started using it. 

• Like 1