Menu

New Show, 9-1-1, anyone watching?

DawnM

The previews looked amazing.  I sat down with my 15 yr old to watch the first episode and the ratings said sexual scenes so we changed the channel.  Now days that can mean anything.  I taped it and was going to watch myself but haven't had a chance.

Is it appropriate for a 15 year old?  

I saw the first one.

It is a dramedy(NOT anything like the William Shatner series that i loved as a kid and undoubtably affected my career choices) that has very little basis in real life emergency services. I enjoyed it for entertainment’s sake, but it’s so far from reality that most of my firefighter/EMS/police officer friends thought it was ridiculous and refused to watch it after the pilot episode. That’s too bad, because the emergency services community in many Facebook groups I’m a part of thought it would be good, based on the previews.

Nobody in real life is driving a fire truck around town lights and sirens to find their Tinder date.

Edited by MedicMom
  • Like 1

I saw the first one.

It is a dramedy(NOT anything like the William Shatner series that i loved as a kid and undoubtably affected my career choices) that has very little basis in real life emergency services. I enjoyed it for entertainment’s sake, but it’s so far from reality that most of my firefighter/EMS/police officer friends thought it was ridiculous and refused to watch it after the pilot episode. That’s too bad, because the emergency services community in many Facebook groups I’m a part of thought it would be good, based on the previews.

Nobody in real life is driving a fire truck around town lights and sirens to find their Tinder date.

Ugh! Completely agree with everything you wrote. No one (EMS, FD, & LE) liked it in my neck of the woods.

• Like 1

Former dispatcher. I had almost a visceral cringe/embarrassment thing going on from the promos. I'm used to EMS/police shows, but it's weird watching a dramatization of dispatching, which I have told people is 80% boring, 15% entertaining, and 5% expletives and hair-on-fire. I can't bring myself to watch.

I did like Third Watch when it was on. We used to quote the line about if you start your (evening) shift off with a domestic, it's gonna be a rough night. Yeah, if people are already drunk and throwing things at 3:00pm, buckle up.

I get it, I have the same cringe reaction when they show teachers or school counselors on TV because it is usually so far from reality.

But since I am not in the Emergency services field....I can overlook that.

Ok, should have waited to get through the 2nd episode before posting.....it is getting worse.....I will not write it off yet, but yeah, the sex scenes.....no, not for a 15 year old.  

Sorry.

I do like most of the actors through.  Drat.

I get it, I have the same cringe reaction when they show teachers or school counselors on TV because it is usually so far from reality.

But since I am not in the Emergency services field....I can overlook that.

Ok, should have waited to get through the 2nd episode before posting.....it is getting worse.....I will not write it off yet, but yeah, the sex scenes.....no, not for a 15 year old.

Sorry.

I do like most of the actors through.  Drat.

Glad we didn't watch then.  I think I will just delete what we have recorded.  Thanks

I was looking forward to it and just watched the pilot episode.  It was ludicrous, and I was disappointed. Taking the fire truck for Tinder dates?

If you enjoy shows about first responders, which I very much do, I recommend Night Shift and Chicago Fire.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma

Ugh! Completely agree with everything you wrote. No one (EMS, FD, & LE) liked it in my neck of the woods.

I tend to like emergency service shows, but I don’t expect them to have any basis in reality. I majored in creative writing and I get it—to hook viewers it has to be sensational.

If someone actually made a realistic show about EMS, people would turn it off after thirty minutes of watching Grandma in the nursing home being taken to the hospital at 4 am for a fever she’s had for 72 hours and running lights and sirens for “chest pain†that turns out to be “back pain since a car accident 12 years ago and I’m out of pain meds.â€

Nobody would watch it.

• Like 2

I tend to like emergency service shows, but I don’t expect them to have any basis in reality. I majored in creative writing and I get it—to hook viewers it has to be sensational.

If someone actually made a realistic show about EMS, people would turn it off after thirty minutes of watching Grandma in the nursing home being taken to the hospital at 4 am for a fever she’s had for 72 hours and running lights and sirens for “chest pain†that turns out to be “back pain since a car accident 12 years ago and I’m out of pain meds.â€

Nobody would watch it.

I had to laugh at this as it is soooo true. I am not officially in the medical or first responder field but I see this all the time.

Nobody would watch it.

QFT!!!

No one outside emergency medicine wants to know what it’s really like. In my area, it’s not the bad/horrendous calls that lead to utter burn-out. Rather, it’s the seemingly never ceasing calls like you listed above that cause the burn-out.

In a bit of EMS humor, the crews of one of our units that run a *lot* of calls in nursing homes created a “Dial-An-Excuse†spinning wheel to track how often the staff at the nursing homes used the usual litany of excuses for why no one can give us a (somewhat) reasonable and coherent HPI. Say them with me:

Not my patient

Not my hall

Just came on shift

Just hired

Just came back from vacation

I was just in here and s/he was fine (for a patient who is DRT)

It’s *always* one of those excuses. [see above re: burn-out]

• Like 1

QFT!!!

No one outside emergency medicine wants to know what it’s really like. In my area, it’s not the bad/horrendous calls that lead to utter burn-out. Rather, it’s the seemingly never ceasing calls like you listed above that cause the burn-out.

In a bit of EMS humor, the crews of one of our units that run a *lot* of calls in nursing homes created a “Dial-An-Excuse†spinning wheel to track how often the staff at the nursing homes used the usual litany of excuses for why no one can give us a (somewhat) reasonable and coherent HPI. Say them with me:

Not my patient

Not my hall

Just came on shift

Just hired

Just came back from vacation

I was just in here and s/he was fine (for a patient who is DRT)

It’s *always* one of those excuses. [see above re: burn-out]

Always.

Last call I had before going on light duty was one of those. Altered mental status on the dementia unit of the local cr$ppy nursing home(not all of them here are bad. This one is.)

Me: How long as he been acting differently?

Staff: I don’t know.

Me: What’s his baseline behavior?

Me: Ok, so what is he doing that makes you think he’s acting more confused than normal?

Staff: I didn’t call you, so I don’t know.

Ten years of EMS; 6 of them in an urban, high call volume setting, and I can count the bad, horrendous calls that stand out on my two hands.

The every day, never ending exchanges like the one above? That’s why they’ll never make a realistic TV show about us. We’re just boring material.

(PS I am certainly not bashing skilled nursing facilities. My grandfather just entered rehab at one and they are fantastic with him. But trust me, there were three places I went toe to toe with the hospital social worker over NOT sending him there.)

Always.

Last call I had before going on light duty was one of those. Altered mental status on the dementia unit of the local cr$ppy nursing home(not all of them here are bad. This one is.)

Me: How long as he been acting differently?

Me: What’s his baseline behavior?

Me: Ok, so what is he doing that makes you think he’s acting more confused than normal?

Staff: I didn’t call you, so I don’t know.

Ten years of EMS; 6 of them in an urban, high call volume setting, and I can count the bad, horrendous calls that stand out on my two hands.

The every day, never ending exchanges like the one above? That’s why they’ll never make a realistic TV show about us. We’re just boring material.

(PS I am certainly not bashing skilled nursing facilities. My grandfather just entered rehab at one and they are fantastic with him. But trust me, there were three places I went toe to toe with the hospital social worker over NOT sending him there.)

Were we partners and I missed it? ðŸ˜

I once had a nursing home nurse yell at me for not rushing an unconscious elderly patient to the hospital because she thought he was having a stroke. Three guesses as to what was really wrong with him....

(It won't take you that long to figure it out.)

Yeah, elderly + altered = UTI until proven otherwise

Elderly + altered + (febrile X THAT smell) = urosepsis.

Always.

It was patently obvious the poor man had a high fever to anyone who bothered to do even the most basic exam. <sigh> Glad you found a good place for your grandfather. It can be so difficult to fine decent care and it really shouldn't be.