Menu

One day in San Diego in Feb. What should I do?

Amber in SJ

Dh is going to a conference for work in San Diego in February, and I am going with him.  We'll fly in around noon on a Monday; I'll be hanging out by myself on Tuesday; and we'll fly out on Wednesday evening.  

Where should we eat?  What should I go see?  I am a art & history museum person.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Amber in SJ

Balboa Park is probably your best option as there are loads of museums there. The USS Midway might be another option, especially if the weather is nice. It could be combined with some time at the waterfront/riding the ferry etc.

I'd probably decide on what sights to see first before looking at restaurants though I think either seafood or Mexican might be a good choice (depends a bit on where you are from though). San Diego isn't too spread out so you can easily combine a couple of things.

• Like 1

Yes, definitely Balboa Park. You might enjoy the Museum of Man, which normally has really cool exhibits, or the Air & Space museum. The Natural History and Science museums are also good. I love the movies on the big screen at the Science museum. You can also easily visit the SD Zoo, which is also in Balboa Park. If you want to eat there, the Prado is a nice restaurant. 

Outside of Balboa Park, my fav restaurants in San Diego are Born & Raised or Cowboy Star for steak, Juniper & Ivy or Trust for new American, Sushi Ota or Sushi Tadokoro for Japanese, Menya Ultra for ramen, Crack Shack for fried chicken, Jayne's Gastropub for casual British pub food, Oscar's Mexican Seafood, The Taco Stand, or City Tacos for tacos, and Las Quatro Milpas for OG Mexican like your abuela makes (cash only).

Enjoy our beautiful city!

• Like 2

I just left SD today! My favorite restaurants were Italian, one on Fifth Street, Gaslamp District, called Panevino, and another in Little Italy—can’t remember the name. Anyway, my point is that the Italian is crazy good there. We just wandered the streets until we found a menu we liked. SD is very small compared to Atlanta, which is what I am used to, and it was quite walkable. The airport is a $6 Uber ride from downtown, for instance, and we walked everywhere else. We are not museum people, so we went whale watching, took a trolley tour (2 hours if you do not get off at any of the stops) and rode bikes on Córonado Island. You could do the trolley tour, hop off at Balboa Park for museums and then hop back on later in the day. That would give you a good overview as well as museums.

Edited by plansrme