Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
happysmileylady

Actually, Homeschool kids CAN have snow days! lol

Today is Friday and for us Friday is usually Library Day.  We usually do a light phonics and math in the morning, then figure out what types of books we want for the next week, then head out to the library.  We also do any other errands, school related or otherwise. 

Well we are in the midst of a snow and ice storm.  All the schools around here are closed, and the news is full of warnings to stay home and not go out unless you absolutely HAVE to. 

So, we are staying home.  I have nothing really planned for school this afternoon, so....Homeschool Snow Day!  If the snow is quiet enough in the afternoon, I will probably send the kids outside with their new sleds. 

We might do some fun sciency stuff with the snow if they feel like it with the ice and snow.  Or not :laugh:

• Like 5

Sounds like a fun day!

We do usually take one for the first real snow so the kids can play in it. Our snow usually melts within a day or two so we have to get out there right away.

We also usually have a first nice day in forever day in the spring. I love getting outside when the sun is out and it’s warm after being cold and gloomy for weeks on end.

• Like 1

And my kids got a "Random Spring Weather in January" day (which I'm pretty sure only homeschoolers get.)-- it was too nice not to spend the morning soaking in the sun/making mud pies, and the requisite hours of bathing after. They want the snow, though! Hope your kids are enjoying it (and not too desperate for a new set of library books to be snowed in with-- that can be a hard errand to miss).

• Like 2

Since snow is such a rarity where I live, you bet your tooties we took the day off when we got 5" of snow!

• Like 4

We don't take snow days when the schools just close for ice, but if we actually have snow, we are out playing in it.

If I had school planned, the rule is that you can play outside as much as you want, but if you come it, then you have to do schoolwork. It's fair game to just play outside all day which is what my kids usually do. The only exception is that my high schooler's online work still has to get done as it has a deadline that is out of my control and doesn't cancel for snow.

We live where snow (and ice) stick around WAY TOO LONG. So...we enjoy the warmer snows that are fun to play in during break times, but try to still get work done on those days, so we can save up and take SUN-days in when it's suddenly super-nice in later autumn after we thought all the nice days were done...or in early spring when we're Desperate to get out and it's finally warm, again. 

Some stuff does get cancelled for road conditions, though.

We're probably 50/50.  We've had quite a few missed co-op days already this winter, and may have more this week.  When we "do school" anyway, it's kind of half-hearted, but I like to be able to count it without guilt so we can take advantage of the nice weather when it comes back.  If it comes back.  Please come back!!!

DD13 has her first “real†snow day today since she was in PS K-it’s a day that the only scheduled classes are dual enrollment, and it’s the first day of the semester. Since they closed campus, she has a true “snow dayâ€. She’s sleeping :).

We are having a weather day off too. No snow, but ice and wind. Dh is home and I've yet to figure out how to get school done when he's home and on the phone with his offices in the background. So, homeschool skip day! 

• Like 1

The public schools here on on their 4th or 5th snow day, my kids are disappointed they haven’t gotten all those days off.

We did a light day today and then they played outside, we finally have enough snow to cover the grass but it was too dry to make a snowman or fort like they wanted.