Menu

Live online coding class?

PhotoGal

I've been searching the forum, but many of the results were out of date, so I thought I'd start a new thread. My son (8th grade) is interested in taking a coding class this spring. He wants a live class (interact with instructors/other students).  He is a beginner other than playing around with Scratch here and there.  Because it is his first real coding class, I'd like to find one with a minimum of frustration so he has a good experience.  He won't like anything that is a lot of homework or too time-consuming.  Any ideas for him?

I don't think I have ever seen a live online coding class. Perhaps there are some, but I can tell you why there probably won't be many. I used to teach live coding classes at our homeschool co-op and the experience of doing that was what led me to start teaching online where students could move at their own pace. It was so difficult when some students understood a concept and wanted to move on - but another was struggling with their code and needed me to find the bug. I felt so pressured as I wanted to find it quickly so I could move to the next student - or keep teaching the whole class.

Teaching online has worked so much better as when students get stuck they can email for help and my teaching assistants can look at the code at their leisure and find the problem and email back. 

It does lose the fun of being part of a class, I know. I try to create a bit of the classroom feel by asking them to share their games and play each other's, but it isn't the same. I am very interested to see if there is a teacher out there that has figured out how to successfully teach coding live and online.