Menu

What's with the ads?

Amoret

Book ideas for DS10 who is done with kids' section?

DS (almost 10) has been reading the chapter books on our library's kids section since he was about 3.5 and has read pretty much everything there that interests him. There are plenty of classics I could give him (and we are working through several), but I am looking for any ideas people might have for good fiction or interesting non-fiction from the young adult/adult sections that might be appropriate (i.e. no extremely graphic violence or "adult" content) and that he might like. His recent favorites include the LoTR books, Sobel's Longitude, Singh's The Code Book and LeGuin's Earth Sea trilogy. I used to have time to preview all the books I gave him, but I can't do that any more.  I have scanned lots of lists on Good Reads, Amazon, and other places, but I would appreciate any suggestions from others in a similar situation. We keep leaving the library empty handed and I know there are good books out there. I have plenty of college-level lists form my tenure-track days, but he isn't ready for some of those yet.

Edited by Amoret

If he likes LeGuin, he might like her Powers trilogy. (And the Earthsea cycle has more than three books, doesn't it?)

You could also try Hardinge or Hilari Bell. Let me think on this a bit.

• Like 1

If he likes LeGuin, he might like her Powers trilogy. (And the Earthsea cycle has more than three books, doesn't it?)

You could also try Hardinge or Hilari Bell. Let me think on this a bit.

We have the Powers trilogy -- he tried the first one a while ago, but found it a little slow (which it is, but it's also so good). I'll suggest it again. I don't think he is ready for some of the abuse themes in the later Earthsea books. I think they are some of the best ones in the series -- just not for him yet. I also have some Robin McKinley books (Robin Hood, the Hero and the Crown, the Blue Sword, etc.) that are on my list for him, though I am not sure he will love them.

I haven't heard of the others -- I'll check them out. Thank you!

Edited by Amoret

My DS just turned 11. He's liked The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, See you in the Cosmos (a YA novel, but he LOVED it) and The Hidden Life of Trees.

I have actually lost track of what he has read, I will try to come back with more!

• Like 1

McKinley's Robin Hood is not one of her better efforts, imo, but he might like the other two.  I think Rocannon's World is kid-appropriate, but I read it so long ago that I might have forgotten something.

McKinley: Dragonhaven (which is less lyrical than her others but about a boy and dragons so maybe of interest).  I'd say Pegasus but it's clearly the first of a series and I don't think she's ever going to finish the rest of them.

Has he tried Peter S Beagle?  Besides The Last Unicorn, which is difficult to understand in some parts, there is Tamsin.

Most of Dianna Wynne Jones would probably be good - Castle in the Air and Howl's Moving Castle and etc.

Are you looking for quality literature or just something to keep him in books?  Eragon is terrible but long, has 4 books, is kind of violent but not all that disturbingly so (and definitely not adult).

• Like 1

Fablehaven is another series that is not adult in content and there are enough books to last at least 3 or 4 days, but the writing quality isn't Shakespeare.

• Like 1

Other books/series by Brandon Mull might work.  Spirit Animals, Five Kingdoms.  

Many books by Orson Scott Card are kid friendly such as the Gate Mages series.

Has he read Taran series  yet? Ranger's Apprentice?

Mysteries?  Down the Rabbit Hole perhaps?

Do you consider sci fi or Rick Riordan type books inappropriate?

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman?

• Like 1

A lot of Mark Twain and Charles Dickens may be approachable without too much graphic violence or overt adult content...

• Like 1

So many great ideas!

I had a graduate seminar in Dickens and I love everything he wrote -- I'll see if he's up for it.

I love Diana Wynn Jones -- I know he's read some, but I'll have to check which ones.

He's read some Rick Riordan, but isn't a huge fan. I can see why they are so popular, though.

He recently read the Taran series and liked it pretty well.

He liked Fahrenheit 451, but I am not familiar with any others by Bradbury

We tend toward sci/fi and fantasy around here, but also like good historical fiction or narrative history.

I haven't read those other McKinley suggestions, though I just got a couple of them from the library. I was thinking of including Robin Hood in a unit on outlaws (pair it with Medieval outlaw tales and consider what she does - I agree it isn't her best, but perhaps useful in an academic sense)

I'll have to check out the others. I am just looking to keep him in books, but he is picky and has high standards. I have a PhD in British lit, so I have endless lists of high quality literature that we are/will tackle together.

• Like 1

Most of the narrative history we've read is likely too .... not for a 10yo.  Maybe, maybe The Boy on the Wooden Box, but you'd have to preview and decide if okay or not.  Uncle Tom's Cabin?  

Dickens: My ds liked Pickwick Papers and Our Mutual Friend particularly well.  

Twain: beside the obvious of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, try The Prince and the Pauper.

The Scarlet Pimpernell, Kim, and Gulliver's Travels were ones my ds liked that did not seem too adult.  Also Phantom of the Opera, which was more adult, but not graphically so.  Gulliver's Travels.   

I liked Isaac Azimov at around your ds's age.   At 11, my ds liked Star Wars books for adults (obviously not high quality lit)-- there were some parts I felt were overly adult content, but they went over ds's head mostly, or he skipped to the interesting action adventure parts anyway.

My ds liked Carl Hiaassen's books for kids which are not overly adult.  He also likes the ones for adults, but that isn't for age 10.

• Like 1

BBC dramatizations helped ds get into Dickens.  It made the world, and the settings and even plots more approachable.

• Like 1

What about Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series or Michael Scott"s Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel. Though he probably read those...

Brain Jacques's Redwall series?

My husband really liked David Eddings. There are several fantasy novel series written by him.

I am a huge Star Trek fan, so I really enjoyed a lot of the Star Trek fiction as well. 

If he liked LOTR...has he read Tolkien's other works?

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1