Menu

Abeka Spanish vs Breaking the Spanish Barrier

Can anyone share how these two compare? I keep reading the BtSB is rigorous which has me a little concerned. I'm tempted to use Abeka, but want my daughter to have at least 3 years of Spanish. I have access to Abeka books through a friend. If we go that route could we switch to BtSB level 3 after completing Abeka Spanish 1 and 2? Any other recommendations?

I can't comment of Abeks's. We are using BtB Spanish this year for Spanish 1, along with Rosetta Stone, ANKI study decks, and Practice Makes Perfect workbooks. BtB does cover a lot of vocabulary and gets you moving right along through grammar, however there isn't enough practice, IMO. That's why we have the Practice Makes Perfect and have her put her vocabulary into ANKI decks. Rosetta Stone we already owned but I don't think I it's needed. She does oral practice with dad, who is fluent.

BtB covers roughly 4 years of material in 3 books, so we are using 3/4 of book one for Spanish 1. We use the iBook version and it's lovely, nice audio and visual files embedded, and the few exercises in the book are auto corrected.

Good luck with your decision!

• Like 2

We used BtB French and it is a nice program but didn't have enough practice. We had to supplement with materials provided by a tutor. I think you could do what you described, start with the Abeka books and then switch to whatever level of BtB you think is appropriate, probably intermediate. I think the main thing is having plenty of resources and putting in the time for a full credit.

• Like 1

We used BtB French and it is a nice program but didn't have enough practice. We had to supplement with materials provided by a tutor. I think you could do what you described, start with the Abeka books and then switch to whatever level of BtB you think is appropriate, probably intermediate. I think the main thing is having plenty of resources and putting in the time for a full credit.

This is what we decided to do, start with Abeka and then move on to BtB.

• Like 2

(May I interrupt for a moment)..... for BTB if you use the iBook, do you need to purchase the physical books as well, or is everything you need included? Thank you.

No - all components are embedded and complete in the iBook. Except the test packet - we bought that and it's handy to not have to write up tests.
  • Like 2