Menu

Spinoff: Things you love that everyone should own

Alexigail

Which shoes?

They were neat looking ballroom dancing type shoes and quite inexpensive. What I didn't know was that they were cheap, cardboard shoes from China. Even if I had wanted to wear cardboard on my feet, the size 9 from China is a LOT smaller than US 9.  :lol:

Edited by wintermom

Dobie brand scrubby dish sponge. NOT any other band, not even when dh puts them in my stocking at Christmas. Ugh. ONLY Dobi brand. 

Nespresso espresso maker (better one would also be good, but that's entry level, lol)

My vacuum with TWO rechargeable batteries, so one is always charged. Honestly it's not the worlds best vacuum otherwise, but I have ADHD and if I stop to unplug and replug I get distracted and stop vacuuming. Being able to just keep going and do the whole house without stopping means the whole house gets vacuumed. 

Kindle, either paperwhite or voyager. 

Instant Pot

cast iron skillet

Kitchen aid stand mixer

Plan to Eat subscription

• Like 2

Scrub daddy sponges

Copper Chef deep pan

PooPourri spray :lol: it works!

Reusable cotton pads if you have urine leakage

Discover credit card... cash back!

We LOVE the Scrub Daddy sponges here. With kids often doing dishes here, the dishes are now as clean as I would get them now that the kids use the SD. It's a great fit for younger hands and really gets things clean with less effort and doesn't scratch. I love the way it fits my adult hand better too. Love.  :wub:

The other thing we love is Scotch-Brite stainless steel scouring pads for pots and pans.  I just grab for these first whenever doing a gunked up pan and it's clean in no time.  https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scouring/dp/B00HV0CEGK/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515789543&sr=8-4&keywords=stainless+steel+scrubbing+pad

ETA: I also like how the SD scrubbies don't have a sponge in them and can breathe and air out. Sponges wig me out as far as being germ riddled.

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 2

An electric kettle. Instant pot. Oh! I have one. I don’t can, but I did get a canning funnel. I use it for so many things and it keeps the sides of the jars and thermoses clean. I love it!

I use my canning funnel almost daily! My oldest child is in school this year and he likes hot lunches, so I use it every morning to neatly fill his thermos with leftover soup, stew, pasta, etc. 

• Like 3

Everyone should own this Bluetooth speaker my husband got me for Christmas. I paired it with my iPhone and play music using Pandora through my phone to the speaker. I LOVE this thing. It has great quality sound, no kidding. For the price, you can't beat it. It stays in the kitchen mostly, and I use while I'm cooking and cleaning. I have the blue one.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundCore-Portable-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B01MTB55WH/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1515694549&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+soundcore+speaker

I've been enjoying music during my morning self-care routine recently: get up, shower, get ready and dressed for the day, tidy room, and make bed, and this would be easier than plugging my phone into computer speakers, and less wires to hassle with too. Trying do decide between the red or turquoise.   :laugh:  Thanks for sharing!

Edited by IfIOnly

Papermate Liquid Flair extra-fine-point pens. I hate ballpoints.

Wide-mouth canning jars for all the things. And yes to the funnel.

Packing cubes for travel. Different color for each person, all your clothes for the day all zipped together. Got ours from ebags.

Flannel handkerchiefs. (I made ours, because I can totally cut and sew a rectangle as long as the plaid lines are drawn for me, but you can get them on Etsy, etc.)

Drawstring cloth produce bags. My store takes off the bag's weight and gives me 10 cents back because it counts as using my own bag, every time I use one, and no stupid crinkly plastic mess. I got some from Amazon.

Maggie's socks in black. They're comfortable and durable and don't stain. (We have red clay soil here.) I bought a dozen pairs, and DS and I share them because the same size fits us both at this point. Laundry is much easier.

These are the best underwear I've ever owned. They're expensive, so can't just replace everything like I basically did with the socks, but they're organic cotton and IIRC made in USA as well.

• Like 2

Just posting to reach magic number 10,000!!!!!! So make that TWO kittens!!!

Oh, and those plain cotton dish towels that look thin and like they would not work well - oh my, they work so much better than all the terrycloth and other kitchen towels I have used over the years!!! These suckers actually absorb water!

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 14

My zojirushi water boiler:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0166OD6PO/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515730564&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=zojirushi+water+boiler&dpPl=1&dpID=418-daaWT3L&ref=plSrch

It’s been in continuous use at my home for over a decade.

I also love that we replaced our front door key lock with a code lock.

Just purchased!! Thanks for the tip!!

1) This sheet pan. Love it! Bought my first a couple of years ago, and just ordered a second one for myself. I’ve bought them for my mom and grandmother and they love them also!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001MS3P6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515849580&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=volrath+cookie+sheets&dpPl=1&dpID=31d5xIPpuqL&ref=plSrch

2) Injinji toe socks (yay! No more blisters!)

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2

Turbie Twist hair towels are incredible.  It stays in place and is so light weight.  My daughters have some now too.  They use them after swim.  I bought mine at Walmart in single packs. 

https://www.amazon.com/Turbie-Twist-Microfiber-pack-Purple/dp/B01D9O1GA6/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515691809&sr=8-3&keywords=turbie+twist 

My daughter loves it too! Wish I'd known about it years earlier, because it would have saved a lot of towel washing. 

Is there a big difference from just regular ear plugs? Now that I have teen boys who want to stay up much later than I do, I wear ear plugs every night.

I tried a bunch and these were the most comfortable and effective. They roll up tiny and then expand in your ear. I use each pair for about a month before discarding.

• Like 1

I thought of another product that was life-changing for me. Diva cup. :leaving: You do NOT want to be the person stuck next to me when I run out of chit-chat, because the conversation will inevitably work its way around to why diva cups are awesome. :lol:

Diva cup.

After something like 3 years I still can't believe what a game changer this has been. I swear I have PTSD from using the other stuff. Every month (well, 3 weeks) I remember that oh yeah, this isn't such a Big F Deal anymore.

MeLuna menstrual cup...diva cups were uncomfortable but these are much softer. So.much.better than any alternatives.

Yoga Tune Up self-massage balls and a silicon cone-shaped self-massage thing...I use these daily and they help so much with chronic neck/shoulder/back/hip pain.

I started off with the Diva cup and a year later moved to a Moon cup. I love the moon cup. The Diva cup never quite fit right and once that thing was in, it was in and there was no adjusting and sometimes it wouldn’t pop open and I’d have to start over.

The Moon cup fits better and always pops open and can be adjusted a bit after it’s in.

————

I love my new bagless vacuum. I never had a bagless one before and I thought it would be a pain, but I like being able to see how much dirt is in there and being able to change it right away. There’s never any “checking the closet for vacuum bags and adding them to the grocery list†anymore.

This isn’t a specific thing, but I love it that I have a tv on the kitchen counter. I hate cooking and being able to watch some tv while I cook is my incentive to get dinner going. I can’t watch complex shows while I’m cooking, so right now I’m watching Undercover Boss while I cook (it’s on Netflix.). All the shows follow the same format and so I can easily divide my attention between cooking and watching.

I love my french door fridge with the freezer on the bottom. When I have to clean out the freezer, I pull over a chair and sit there sorting through it and the cold air doesn’t pour out. I love how roomy the top is.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I started off with the Diva cup and a year later moved to a Moon cup. I love the moon cup. The Diva cup never quite fit right and once that thing was in, it was in and there was no adjusting and sometimes it wouldn’t pop open and I’d have to start over.

The Moon cup fits better and always pops open and can be adjusted a bit after it’s in.

————

I love my new bagless vacuum. I never had a bagless one before and I thought it would be a pain, but I like being able to see how much dirt is in there and being able to change it right away. There’s never any “checking the closet for vacuum bags and adding them to the grocery list†anymore.

This isn’t a specific thing, but I love it that I have a tv on the kitchen counter. I hate cooking and being able to watch some tv while I cook is my incentive to get dinner going. I can’t watch complex shows while I’m cooking, so right now I’m watching Undercover Boss while I cook (it’s on Netflix.). All the shows follow the same format and so I can easily divide my attention between cooking and watching.

I love my french door fridge with the freezer on the bottom. When I have to clean out the freezer, I pull over a chair and sit there sorting through it and the cold air doesn’t pour out. I love how roomy the top is.

I've recently begun allowing myself to listen to sitcoms with headphones while cooking or cleaning up dinner.  I don't need to see the screen because they are so predictable, but I am distracted from my work and it makes the time pass.  :-D  The kids think I'm listening to an audiobook...   :leaving:

• Like 6

Collapsable baskets!  Someone gave us one as a gift meant for gardening.  I didn't know what to do with it for years so it sat in my garage.  Then one day, I tossed it in the camper to have something to carry meal fixings from camper to fire.  I realized how useful it was and now use it for everything.  I swear it gets put into some sort of use multiple times a day.  The main thing I use it for is bringing things to and from the car.  I am often juggling a bag of library books, a purse, a water bottle, stuff to mail, workout gear, etc.....  I usually put this stuff in bags, but I am still trying to carry them all while dressed in winter gear finding myself struggling to figure out how to hold my keys, coffee, and all of this stuff.  The struggle is real.  Putting it all in a basket that I can set in the front seat.  It makes carrying it easier and accessing stuff while out and about s much easier.  When it is empty, I can collapse it flat and toss it in the truck.  I often bring it to the store when I only need a few items.  No bags, no worrying about squishing soft stuff, etc....  Also great for transferring multiple things to and from the chest freezer.  The cats also enjoy the occasional ride in it.  I need a few more!

https://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Polyester-Collapsible-Market-Basket/dp/B0096CDTA6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1515861197&sr=8-6&keywords=collapsible+basket

• Like 6

Ok, what exactly does Plan to Eat do??

You can clip/import recipes on the web into it pretty much instantly, or edit them, etc. You can also type in your own recipes. You can sort/organize/search them by course, main ingredient, and lots of other tags that you can edit. So I have tags like instant pot, low carb, easy, etc. You can print them, or use the cooking view were it will show you one step at a time, so you don't get lost. You can also go to the planning tab and drag and drop your recipes onto a calendar to meal plan. It will create a shopping list (organized by store section) for you from your recipes. Plus you can have a custom list of pantry staples that you can check through when making your list. You can also make notes on the calendar like "leftovers" or add ingredients directly from that page. So, for instance, I don't have a recipe for "breakfast for dinner" but can note that on whatever day, then add in, on that day, that I need bacon and eggs. Those will then get added to my shopping list. You can then print the shopping list or access it from your phone as you shop. 

Oh, and you can friend people on there. That way you can share recipes with friends. 

• Like 3

Collapsable baskets!  Someone gave us one as a gift meant for gardening.  I didn't know what to do with it for years so it sat in my garage.  Then one day, I tossed it in the camper to have something to carry meal fixings from camper to fire.  I realized how useful it was and now use it for everything.  I swear it gets put into some sort of use multiple times a day.  The main thing I use it for is bringing things to and from the car.  I am often juggling a bag of library books, a purse, a water bottle, stuff to mail, workout gear, etc.....  I usually put this stuff in bags, but I am still trying to carry them all while dressed in winter gear finding myself struggling to figure out how to hold my keys, coffee, and all of this stuff.  The struggle is real.  Putting it all in a basket that I can set in the front seat.  It makes carrying it easier and accessing stuff while out and about s much easier.  When it is empty, I can collapse it flat and toss it in the truck.  I often bring it to the store when I only need a few items.  No bags, no worrying about squishing soft stuff, etc....  Also great for transferring multiple things to and from the chest freezer.  The cats also enjoy the occasional ride in it.  I need a few more!

https://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Polyester-Collapsible-Market-Basket/dp/B0096CDTA6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1515861197&sr=8-6&keywords=collapsible+basket

This looks so handy! I just ordered one and can already think of about a dozen different ways I'm going to use it. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 2

Cuddle Duds fleece products.  I especially love their fleece sheets and their fleece tops.  Their fleece leggings are super comfortable and warm, too.  I also have their mittens, which are fine but nothing special, and their socks that I haven't worn yet.  

• Like 6

North Face gloves with e-tip! I spend a lot of time at soccer game and tennis matches. My DH and I like to keep each other updated on scores. I don’t have to take off my gloves to text him. My Under Armor ones don’t work nearly as well and they aren’t nearly as warm, either. (Those were a quick run into Dicks Sporting good while out of town for a tournament that got cold once.)

My son drives a Dodge Charger with a hemi engine. Let’s just say it’s a fun break from my odysseys. (Yes, I own multiple Honda odysseys which I also love, but, oh, that hemi engine.)

Pampered Chef bamboo spoons—dishwasher safe, never get stained, love them!

Yeti water bottle—ice stays ice all day. I just keep refilling it from the water bottle station at school.

My Talbots navy blue sheath dress. It works for everything. I can wear heels, cowboy boots, flats, flip flops... From church to graduation, from work to a wedding, this dress is perfect. Actually, I just really like Talbots. I can walk in, tell them where I am going, and they will dress me perfectly.

• Like 3

I got tired of chopping garlic by hand because the garlic press only squeezes out half of the garlic clove, so I bought myself the Joe Joe garlic rocker. There is so much less garlic waste with thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Joseph-20037-Crusher-Dishwasher-Stainless/dp/B01ATV4O2O/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515871722&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Joe+Joe+garlic+rocker

( I got mine cheaper from Williams Sonoma with a coupon)

• Like 3

I got tired of chopping garlic by hand because the garlic press only squeezes out half of the garlic clove, so I bought myself the Joe Joe garlic rocker. There is so much less garlic waste with thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Joseph-20037-Crusher-Dishwasher-Stainless/dp/B01ATV4O2O/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515871722&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Joe+Joe+garlic+rocker

I have one and love

it!!!

• Like 2

Vickki Vi sleeveless heavy knit black dress.

OMGosh, it’s so useful.

It can be used as a beach dress with a pair of flip flops, or a business dress with a jacket and pumps, or a cocktail dress with a pair of flashy heels and bold jewelry.

It’s washable. It’s not the least bit see through. It skims rather than clinging. And it doesn’t hug at the waist but it also doesn’t look like a sack. It’s absolutely the most versatile piece of clothing I have ever had.

• Like 4

Retractable dog lead (runs for cover).

Spark Plug ear plugs

Flannel sheets - mine are from Aldi

We love flannel sheets here. This winter we found fleece sheets from Costco, and they are so warm and luxurious feeling and look gorgeous. This is the same brand we have, but at half the cost because Costco: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075X2LV2N/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515874182&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=life%2Bcomfort%2Bsheets&th=1&psc=1

I'm buying all the kids twin sheets ASAP.

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 2

Once again, I am handing out cyber chocolate to all who include links.

Agreeing w/ the endorsements for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Pandora, and

Anker bluetooth speaker. Lasts me forever before I have to recharge it. Love that thing!

canning funnel - got mine from Wally World for a couple of bucks and use it very often

an electric kettle (my first one died, so we now use one we got from Costco)

Adding:

Our Costco membership. I mock "Walmart people", that is, people who do most of their shopping at Walmart, but I am a Costco Person because buy so much from Costco. And Walmart.  :leaving:

My jump starter/air compressor has saved me more than once. Sure, it's bulky and there are much slimmer models available, but DH has used the tire thingy when we would have been stranded w/o it. Also, better than jumper cables b/c you don't have to get another car up to yours to use it. Bought it when it was $20 off at Costco. Not sexy, but, oh, so good to have.

My loopy case for my phone. I wish the case had more protection (might put my extra loop through an Otterbox Commuter case). Dh is a die hard Otterbox Defender case user, but I am enjoying this thin case for now - unless I knock it off the table and my phone is shattered, that is.

Buffs! How does something so thin and that looks and feels like cheap polyester - that I would hate in any other garment - keep me warm when it's cold and windy? I use mine as a headband twice daily when I wash my face, as a makeshift shower cap so my hair doesn't get wet when I'm just showering, as a scarf (think neck warmer), as earmuffs (headband style), as a hat (beanie), etc., etc., etc. DD was in NYC last week in the frigid weather and she said her Buff really helped especially when the wind whipped by. I have a thin, plain one. I've seen them in sporting goods stores, but the selection was abysmal. I am pretty sure it was Corraleno who posted about them and thus taught me about them. Thank you, Corraleno!

Roombas. OK, I don't have one yet, and I'm open to other brands, but I'm loving the ability to live like the Jetsons

The Easy Fermenter. Am I a sucker for gadgets? Maybe, but when the price dropped $10, I got a set. So much easier than the DIY picklemeister I pieced together (and about the same price). And I can mark the date on top? Yes, please!

I reserve the right to add to this post and/or thread.

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 5

Oh, I need one of those belts! I feel like I could just wear it around the house too since I never have enough pockets.

Ok you might have put me over the edge with your brilliant idea to wear it around the house. I've had one in my amazon cart for months.

And, every time I see this thread title, the first thing that comes to mind is Qtips. Really.

A Rat Zapper. I love these things. I have 2 and keep them loaded in the dungeon under this cabin. Whenever I get a mouse, I make a tally mark with a permanent marker on the top of the Zapper. I'm up in the 20's now on one of them. :) When I go down there to wash a load of clothes, and I see that light flashing, it just makes my day. lol I guess that's the city version of huntin'. ;)

I think your zapper needs a name, like Fury or the Memphis Belle.

• Like 3

I love my Spi Belt. It's great for running/walking or if you are going somewhere and just want to take your keys and an ID and keep them close at hand.  http://spibelt.com/ This is similar to the OP's Flip belt.

I couldn't survive dinner without my Thermopen. Expensive, but worth it.  No more overcooked meat or overbaked bread. https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwseKzvrV2AIVSYezCh2FWATcEAAYASAAEgKUSfD_BwE

The Book Catalogue app (free!!) on my phone. It keeps me from buying a book I already own. I like to buy used books.  =)  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eleybourn.bookcatalogue&hl=en

My rice cooker gets a lot of use.  I got it for cheap and I use it almost every week. 

• Like 2

Ordering now!
  • Like 1

I forgot about my digital scale. I need the scale for postage, measuring gluten free flours, etc.  I use it almost every day.

We got this one because it was recommended by America's Test Kitchen and you can pull the display out so if you have a large bowl on the scale you can still see the numbers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJMTNA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA: They sell a non-stainless version of this that is only to 5 lb and has no light, but it is about $20 cheaper.

P.S. This cannot be used for science. I tested it and it is not precise in the 0.1 gram ranges. =(

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

Does anyone have that cork-pierce-pour thing that lets you have a glass of wine but leaves the cork sealed? I think it’s called Coravin. I want one of these. I have wine I am not drinking entirely because this is the problem. I only want one glass. Nobody else wants wine; DH doesn’t drink it. So I end up only having my wine when I have guests who will drink it too.

My contribution to this thread: the No-Yank Tank and the Long-Tail Tee shirts from Duluth Trading co. My torso is long and shirts that are too short get on my last dang nerve! But these longer-than-average shirts are awesome. They come to the lower hip and stay down. They are the best!

ETA: name. And wow, I did not know Coravin was so expensive!

Edited by Quill
  • Like 5

100% linen sheets, pillowcases, and duvet cover — more breathable than cotton, warmer in winter and cooler in summer, they get softer every time you wash them and they last forever. Duvet cover and pillow cases from H&M are an incredible bargain (currently on sale for $99 for a queen or king set in white, though they have other colors and sizes, too). My "split king" bed is two Twin XL Tempur mattresses together, so I use Rough Linen's oversize flat sheets as bottom sheets (much more expensive than H&M, but beautifully made).

100% linen towels (just plain heavy linen fabric, not terry texture) absorb water and dry quickly like a microfiber towel, without the "slimy" feeling of microfiber, and are naturally antibacterial. No musty smell, ever, even if DD "borrows" one and leaves it balled up on the floor. I got my set (bath sheet, bath towel, hand towel, 2-layer bath mat) from a seller on Etsy who lives in Latvia.

Supima cotton mattress pad from Lands End: super thick, comfy, and well-made, with 100% cotton fabric (on top AND bottom) and strong stretchy fabric all around the sides. I bought mine last fall during their 40% off sale, and will be buying some for the kids' beds as soon as they're on sale again. They are truly in a class by themselves when it comes to mattress pads — more like a comforter that goes under you instead of over! One problem with memory foam mattresses is that they can suck all the heat out of you when you first get in bed; this pad totally solved that problem. (ETA: also prevents the overheating that can happen with memory foam, too!)

Vita Mix — used daily for about 12 years now and still going strong

Instant Pot 

Electric kettle (we are big tea drinkers)

De Buyer steel frying pans. I got this set of three for $100 several years ago, at the recommendation of Moira. :crying:  

Whirly Pop popcorn pan

Nice fountain pens and ink. Love Goulet Pens.

Notebooks with nice paper like Rhodia or Clairefontaine, in a leather cover from Chic Sparrow

I pretty much live in Keen shoes/sandals, Smart Wool socks, and cotton tee shirts from Lands End. I've yet to wear out a pair of Keens or Smart Wool socks, and I have Lands End shirts that are 20 years old and still look perfect.

Buffs are probably the most versatile piece of clothing on the planet (13 ways to wear a Buff — I'd add a 14th way: as an eyemask on a long flight)

Packing cubes

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5

This is on my Christmas wish list for December. :).

I am loving my silk sari wrap skirts from darngoodyarn.com. I got the “recycled†ones because they’re cheaper. With those, you might end up getting one in some ugly colors and one of my recycled skirts was kinda ugly. But the other two are heavenly. I think I’ll get more for myself next Christmas, but splurge for the good ones (the ones not labeled “recycledâ€) so that I don’t have to chance getting the ugly colors.

I have worn these skirts almost every day since I opened them on Christmas and I can wear them all year—boots in the winter, sandals in the summer.

• Like 2

I pretty much live in Keen shoes/sandals, Smart Wool socks, and cotton tee shirts from Lands End. I've yet to wear out a pair of Keens or Smart Wool socks, and I have Lands End shirts that are 20 years old and still look perfect.

Buffs are probably the most versatile piece of clothing on the planet (13 ways to wear a Buff — I'd add a 14th way: as an eyemask on a long flight)

Packing cubes

Yes! Thanks for linking the 13 ways, oh, Buff mentor. You're brilliant to think of the 14th way. But I already knew that you are brilliant. ;)

You are my soul sister! When I met Keen, I broke up w/ Birkenstock. Love, love, love Keens. They were the first expensive shoes Dh and I got for our kids. We loved ours so much, we splurged on Keens for our kids. We'd have felt too guilty for not sharing the Keen love. 

• Like 2