Menu

Spinoff: Things you love that everyone should own

Alexigail

After you posted this, I ordered one for my son. It came on Saturday, and it's great. He uses it for his insulin pump, and now he can wear that one pair of sweats that doesn't have pockets, and hang out in his onesie and not have to hold the pump. And it's going to make theater so much easier -- especially when he has to change costumes. He use to just unplug for an entire production, and then his blood sugar would be really high by the end. 

I know it's not the "intended" use, but oh so helpful for us!

Butting in here, but this makes me so happy!

Who says we're just goofing off here? These threads may seem silly, but this is just great!

• Like 2

I know this was answered but what I love is just the easy to use format for planning and how easy it is to add things, print grocery lists, customize my list, etc. I can also add in freezer meals I've made so they're available to plan for. I can save custom menus, so for camping or special event weeks, I can plan that week and save it to be used again since I usually do the same things every time on those weeks.  I think it took me a year to fall in love with it because at first you don't have any recipes added and you're not in the habit of adding them, so it felt like a waste the first year. But now, I don't want to do without it even if I have a month or two I don't use it. It's worth it even if I used it just one week a month. Also - the Black Friday sale is essential. I skipped a sale one year thinking I didn't really use it that much and then ended up buying several one-off months just to get through to the next sale. 

Also - one important element - I cook new recipes constantly which is also why I like it. If you really only make the same things over and over, the other free apps out there would probably suit someone's needs just fine. 

I'm trying to figure out how it's different from Pepperplate. I've been using Pepperplate for a few years. I can import recipes from other websites or manually input my own. I can plan meals in the calendar and add meals and plans to my grocery list which I can then access on my phone. I create menus. I can use it to scale a recipe to a smaller or larger size. I can customize how the grocery list is arranged. I can also add things that aren't recipes - like, I can put "leftovers" in the planner so I know that Thursday is leftover night. I've never tried saving a week of plans and reusing it - maybe that's something it can't do? Is there something I'm missing? 

• Like 1

I forgot, you all need a recipe rock! It's for holding a printed sheet of paper (or a few sheets). It holds them upright so you can read them, they are off the counter so you don't spill on them, etc. Can also be used at your desk or whatever. And small so easy to store. Mine is a pretty teal. Love it! Use it all the time. https://www.amazon.com/Architec-Recipe-Black-Magnetic-Holder/dp/B007JZ42RQ

I had something similar and trashed it because I couldn't figure out how to use it! Now I need another.

I love my French press coffee maker.  It's cheap, non-electric, and doesn't destroy the oils in the coffee so the flavour is really good.

Also, my Filter Queen.  Mine was free, but not normally a cheap purchase, but t's changed my life.  The dyson has nothing on it other than style.

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out how it's different from Pepperplate. I've been using Pepperplate for a few years. I can import recipes from other websites or manually input my own. I can plan meals in the calendar and add meals and plans to my grocery list which I can then access on my phone. I create menus. I can use it to scale a recipe to a smaller or larger size. I can customize how the grocery list is arranged. I can also add things that aren't recipes - like, I can put "leftovers" in the planner so I know that Thursday is leftover night. I've never tried saving a week of plans and reusing it - maybe that's something it can't do? Is there something I'm missing? 

Can you sort recipes with various tags, by ingredient, cuisine type, cooking style, etc? Can you edit recipes you save? Curious. 

You can also "friend" people on plan to eat so you can see their recipes and vice versa. 

Can you sort recipes with various tags, by ingredient, cuisine type, cooking style, etc? Can you edit recipes you save? Curious.

You can also "friend" people on plan to eat so you can see their recipes and vice versa.

You can sort by tags. You can edit. Edited by JudoMom

My DH is all, "Are you reading that thread again?! We have four boxes arriving this week -- I think that's enough."

I bought driver's seat heating pad (for my not great back).

Also, want to share that I also love a French press for my coffee -- but I broke two glass ones.

So, DH bought me the unbreakable kind (and it holds about three cups of coffee b/c I love coffee): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FF00NF6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I think SWB should absolutely be doing affiliate links!

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 4

Yes, you can sort and edit. You can't "friend" people, but you can "share" your recipes via email, twitter, or facebook. 

Fortunately I only ordered one thing from this thread - the garlic rocker.

I have some twisty towels though I don't know the brand name. Mine came in a two pack from Aldi and I love them. They're the only hair towels I use.

My list of must haves -

-a Kindle or other e-ink ereader (not a tablet or backlit like the Kindle Fire)

-a robot vacuum - mine is a Neato but I'm not particularly brand loyal

-a Roku for streaming if you don't have a smart tv, and especially if you don't have cable or satellite

-a decent set of stainless steel pots and pans - clad on all sides though they don't have to be All Clad brand

-a good set of kitchen knives

-two decent cutting boards, one for meat/seafood and one for everything else

-a decent set of bluetooth headphones or earbuds. I have these and love them. They're not cheap.

A pet or two or more. Preferably furry mammals that like to spend time with their humans and like to cuddle. Cats and/or dogs are best for that purpose. :)

What do you think of the garlic rocker?

I wa curious on the garlic rocker - it's the one item I'm mot likely to buy. We use a lot of garlic and the mortar and pestle are my go-to tools for it, but sometimes it's just annoying to pull out, as is the garlic press. This looks like it could really help -- there are 3 price points on amazon right now, wondering if they all work as well. 

Thank you! I just signed up with Pepperplate. Is it really free or are there features you eventually have to pay for? I've not been really happy with Plan to Eat and one reason is I can't just write in the planner "leftovers" or "sandwiches" or ds' favorite "fend for yourself". Every planned dish has to be associated with a recipe or else it goes in the notes. I like the look of Pepperplate. I downloaded both the Windows version on my PC and the Android versions on my phone and tablet.

I suppose this gets added to my list of things I got because of The Hive. :)

• Like 1

I wa curious on the garlic rocker - it's the one item I'm mot likely to buy. We use a lot of garlic and the mortar and pestle are my go-to tools for it, but sometimes it's just annoying to pull out, as is the garlic press. This looks like it could really help -- there are 3 price points on amazon right now, wondering if they all work as well.

So far, I like it. I think it gives you more garlic than any press I own, and saves me from having to chop it up myself.

I ended up buying the name brand one based on some of the reviews on Amazon. I also bought the Oxo garlic silicone skin remover. I think there’s some sellers that include that with the rocker, but you may not necessarily get the name brand rocker.

What got me looking originally was a link to a garlic thingy that a poster gave as a stocking stuffer. That looked like a pain to get the garlic out and to clean to me, so I kept looking and decided on the rocker instead.

Thank you! I just signed up with Pepperplate. Is it really free or are there features you eventually have to pay for? I've not been really happy with Plan to Eat and one reason is I can't just write in the planner "leftovers" or "sandwiches" or ds' favorite "fend for yourself". Every planned dish has to be associated with a recipe or else it goes in the notes. I like the look of Pepperplate. I downloaded both the Windows version on my PC and the Android versions on my phone and tablet.

In pte I made "recipes" for leftovers and others things like that.

• Like 1

Here is my list:

Kitchen: I cook a ton and these are my hard working tools that I love and not everyone might have:

- Three high quality knives: I have Wustof and Henkels and they are amazing. These three knives are all I have and they work wonderfully. I have a chefs knife and paring knife (this set) plus a bread knife.

- A dough scraper with wood handle- I had the most wonderful dough scraper and I used it for so many things. When we were selling our last house, we had an open house and someone stole my dough scraper. I know because I used it that morning and washed it by hand and put it in the specific spot it goes in in my drawer. It was so special to me because my grandfather gave it to me. When I got home and saw it was gone I was so sad. Seriously, who comes to a open house and steals a dough scraper? Anyway, you all need one. Speaking of which I need to buy a replacement for the stolen one.

- Heavy mixing bowls- I have a vintage one and am now thinking about a big Mason Cash one. I have a Kitchenaid mixer and use it pretty much everyday but I use these bowls all the time too.

- Silpats

- Cookie scoop and muffin scoop- This makes whipping out a batch of something so much faster

Cleaning:

- German cleaning tools- soooo amazing!

- Miele vacuum- you all recommended it and we saved up and I love it so much! It is so pricey but it has really helped.

Sleep:

- Down pillows, feather bed, and comforter from Pacific Coast Feather

Beauty:

- I was having trouble with my skin and tried "The Ordinary" products for the last couple of months and they have helped so much and the price is nice!

- Avalon Organics lotion cured my eczema

ETA: I thought of another one- dried herbs from San Francisco Herb Co. Much cheaper than the store and so incredibly fresh and nice.

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 2

Beauty:

- I was having trouble with my skin and tried "The Ordinary" products for the last couple of months and they have helped so much and the price is nice!

- Avalon Organics lotion cured my eczema

I hate that someone stole that from you.  :mad:

Spill on the skin care items, please. What scent of Avalon helped you? I am interested in the aloe. (I am giving out cyber chocolate for links. Hint, hint, hint.)

What The Ordinary products did you get? I know this varies according to needs, but when I read about it here, I quickly got confused as to what I should get. I think their site had some hand-holding, but I'd like to know what is working for you. It seems every year I think THIS is the year I'll take better care of my skin. Then I cheap out. I know TO items were very reasonably priced. 

A pair of kitchen shears.  They are useful in so many ways.... spatchcocking chicken, cutting up bacon or herbs, cutting up kids food, etc.

A pair of tongs.  Once again, super useful in cooking, plating food, etc.  Not just for BBQing. :)

A super large ice pack.  My PT had me get one, and I use it so often.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 5

I haven't read the thread, but I do think everyone should own at least two kittens at the same time. Of course, if you are allergic, you can watch them on youtube. Everyone else needs kittens, though. They are amazing fun.

Agreed! We have two puppies and that's pretty great, too! 

• Like 3

It really is free. I've been using it for years and haven't paid a thing. I was always intrigued by Plan to Eat - I guess because it's a paid service? - I figured I had to be missing something big by using Pepperplate. Glad to hear I'm not. 

• Like 3

It really is free. I've been using it for years and haven't paid a thing. I was always intrigued by Plan to Eat - I guess because it's a paid service? - I figured I had to be missing something big by using Pepperplate. Glad to hear I'm not.

I'm glad you asked. I'd been wondering the exact same things.

• Like 1

Oh, does Pepperplate combine ingredients from multiple meals, when making your shopping list? Like, if I have 1 cup of milk in one recipe, and 2 cups of milk in another, does it list it as 3 cups of milk? Not that that is a vital feature, lol, but something I thought of. 

Oh, does Pepperplate combine ingredients from multiple meals, when making your shopping list? Like, if I have 1 cup of milk in one recipe, and 2 cups of milk in another, does it list it as 3 cups of milk? Not that that is a vital feature, lol, but something I thought of. 

I just played around with it to see. It does combine. I chose three recipes with butter in them. It showed 6tbsp of butter in the list beside a place where I could check it off and then below, in bullets, it showed the breakdown of how much of that butter was in each of the three recipes.

• Like 2

My DH is all, "Are you reading that thread again?! We have four boxes arriving this week -- I think that's enough."

I bought driver's seat heating pad (for my not great back).

Lol! It's a good thread, honey. 

I missed that heating pad, can someone link again? 

• Like 3

Now I'm glad I only paid half price for plan to eat! I'm going to google to see what the difference is. 

Me too. I'm good until Spring 2019 with PTE so I'll use the next year moving stuff to Pepperplate. I just won't renew PTE this year when Black Friday rolls around.

ETA: I don't use the shopping list on Plan to Eat and I'm sure I won't use it with Pepperplate either. Alexa holds all my lists now (grocery, Sams, Penzeys, etc.)

Edited by Lady Florida.

I hate that someone stole that from you.  :mad:

Spill on the skin care items, please. What scent of Avalon helped you? I am interested in the aloe. (I am giving out cyber chocolate for links. Hint, hint, hint.)

What The Ordinary products did you get? I know this varies according to needs, but when I read about it here, I quickly got confused as to what I should get. I think their site had some hand-holding, but I'd like to know what is working for you. It seems every year I think THIS is the year I'll take better care of my skin. Then I cheap out. I know TO items were very reasonably priced. 

I actually have tried all three of the Avalon Organics lotion as I have been using it for years. The peppermint was my least favorite just because I got tired of smelling like peppermint. But it is a really nice smell. The lavender one is also a really nice scent and I used that one quite a lot. I do like the Aloe best though because it is unscented and I can use it and still wear perfume or burn candles and not feel overwhelmed with all the scents.

I tried "The Ordinary" products this year because I also have been trying to take good care of my skin this past year but don't want to spend a ton. I have been having trouble with my face being super dry and scaly and insanely itchy with weird rashes flaring up every once in a while plus random breakouts. At the beginning of last year, I found a deal for Estee Lauder products and use those which helped a ton. Then three months ago I decided to try TO as they are much cheaper and people seemed to like them. Anyway, I used this blog post  and this one and TO regimen guide to decide what to purchase. Here is what I purchased:

Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 100% Organic Cold-Pressed

Rose Hip Seed Oil Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% “Buffetâ€

I really liked all of them except the Niacinamide 10% as it just seems to break out my skin and doesn't do anything. I have been using the hyaluronic, buffet, and oil at night and the Vit C and different brand moisturizer with SPF for the day. I didn't see this stuff on their website when I purchased otherwise I probably would have tried that first and not purchased the hyaluronic, oil, and buffet. I really love the Vitamin C as it is gentle enough for my skin but still works. I might step that up to a stronger formulation later. Finally, I would have purchased one of the retinols and maybe the glycolic acid too but I am nursing right now so I can't. I hope this helps some! I have been really impressed with TO as it has made my skin beautiful, it is a reasonable price, and it seems like it will last a long time. My skin is the happiest it has ever been and glows. I have used TO daily for 3 months now and I still have more than 3/4 left. A little goes a long way and I am really pleased.

P.S. Thanks for the chocolate!

My last note, I see that they are having their NMF plus sunscreen coming soon so I am really excited to try that. Plus my stuff came faster than they said it would. Additionally, they sent me an email saying Sephora now sells their stuff.

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 1

I actually have tried all three of the Avalon Organics lotion as I have been using it for years. The peppermint was my least favorite just because I got tired of smelling like peppermint. But it is a really nice smell. The lavender one is also a really nice scent and I used that one quite a lot. I do like the Aloe best though because it is unscented and I can use it and still wear perfume or burn candles and not feel overwhelmed with all the scents.

I tried "The Ordinary" products this year because I also have been trying to take good care of my skin this past year but don't want to spend a ton. I have been having trouble with my face being super dry and scaly and insanely itchy with weird rashes flaring up every once in a while plus random breakouts. At the beginning of last year, I found a deal for Estee Lauder products and use those which helped a ton. Then three months ago I decided to try TO as they are much cheaper and people seemed to like them. Anyway, I used this blog post  and this one and TO regimen guide to decide what to purchase. Here is what I purchased:

Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 100% Organic Cold-Pressed

Rose Hip Seed Oil Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% “Buffetâ€

I really liked all of them except the Niacinamide 10% as it just seems to break out my skin and doesn't do anything. I have been using the hyaluronic, buffet, and oil at night and the Vit C and different brand moisturizer with SPF for the day. I didn't see this stuff on their website when I purchased otherwise I probably would have tried that first and not purchased the hyaluronic, oil, and buffet. I really love the Vitamin C as it is gentle enough for my skin but still works. I might step that up to a stronger formulation later. Finally, I would have purchased one of the retinols and maybe the glycolic acid too but I am nursing right now so I can't. I hope this helps some! I have been really impressed with TO as it has made my skin beautiful, it is a reasonable price, and it seems like it will last a long time. My skin is the happiest it has ever been and glows. I have used TO daily for 3 months now and I still have more than 3/4 left. A little goes a long way and I am really pleased.

P.S. Thanks for the chocolate!

My last note, I see that they are having their NMF plus sunscreen coming soon so I am really excited to try that. Plus my stuff came faster than they said it would. Additionally, they sent me an email saying Sephora now sells their stuff.

Thank you for all that info! I appreciate your typing all of that out. 

With your good experience and the affordable pricing (and now it's at Sephora? What??!) I will definitely try TO. My son has had problems with his skin in the past, so I might get that aloe lotion for him. 

I love finding products that do what they're supposed to do and don't break the bank!

My undercabinet swivel knife block. My dad has one, and I've never noticed them anywhere else. We've had ours for years, and I love that it doesn't take up room on the counter. Everyone in the family knows which knives go where, so it's simple to pull out what you want.

Stock photo here.

As I was reading through this thread I decided to post about my knife block when I reached the end! It’s practical and a huge space saver. I love it!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000631ZH/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516376817&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=under+cabinet+knife+block&dpPl=1&dpID=410XNXNXWVL&ref=plSrch

• Like 1

And, every time I see this thread title, the first thing that comes to mind is Qtips. Really.

Explain, please! I just ran out of these for the first time in about five years. When I went to buy some more, I was astonished at the package sizes. I purchased the smallest one, which was more than one hundred. There was a package of 750. This all led me to wonder - what do people do with these things? We actually spent an entire dinner conversation trying to figure it out. The only things we came up with were the occasional ear cleaning, applying medicines and eye shadow. What are we missing??

• Like 1

- Heavy mixing bowls- I have a vintage one and am now thinking about a big Mason Cash one. I have a Kitchenaid mixer and use it pretty much everyday but I use these bowls all the time too.

I just bought a Mason Cash mixing bowl at Home Goods. They had a few colors and I got a maroon colored bowl for $12.99. I was thrilled! At my store they had black or gray as well for $19.99

Hope that's helpful to you!

• Like 1

Explain, please! I just ran out of these for the first time in about five years. When I went to buy some more, I was astonished at the package sizes. I purchased the smallest one, which was more than one hundred. There was a package of 750. This all led me to wonder - what do people do with these things? We actually spent an entire dinner conversation trying to figure it out. The only things we came up with were the occasional ear cleaning, applying medicines and eye shadow. What are we missing??

I use them to clean away the makeup smudges under my eyes. Nothing works better for getting close to the lash line. 

• Like 1

I just ordered the garlic rocker, the 5-in-1 tool and a collapsable basket. Flip belt doesn't come in my size, because, you know, people my size aren't supposed to have practical things to help them exercise. It's some kind of counterproductive, cultural punishment I have yet to figure out. 

ETA: I just downloaded pepperplate. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

I clean my ears daily, as does my dh and at least one of my sons.  That's our biggest use.  I use them occasionally to clean up a makeup smudge, or other random uses, like cleaning or crafting or repairing something.

• Like 1

We've used them for painting for younger children. Easy, no cleanup - just toss.

And we've used them for liquid glue application. Young kids have trouble getting too much Elmer's Glue on projects. Put a glob on a cheap paper plate, use the q-tip to apply.

I've also used them for cleaning a few items where I need to get into an edge - diffuser mostly. 

Flip belt doesn't come in my size, because, you know, people my size aren't supposed to have practical things to help them exercise. It's some kind of counterproductive, cultural punishment I have yet to figure out. 

They are actually really easy to make. Just do a google search for tutorials. 

• Like 1

I use them to clean the gunk out of the sink drain, apply medicine in ears, clean ears, apply vicks salve. At school, I can hand one dipped in vaseline to a kid with chapped lips.

See, ow, that’s cool, too. I don’t have wall space in my kitchen for something like that, though. It does free up counter space. I am thinking no that professional hens have something like this, it it might be I just think they should :).

We have just started using these as bedside cups

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00MRZIGVG/ref=mp_s_a_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1516435192&sr=8-5&keywords=munchkin+360+cup&dpPl=1&dpID=41eeoPClz8L&ref=plSrch

Yes, for adults. We have nice bedside tables that carry our phones, so we don't want to find out in the morning we have knocked our water over.

• Like 1

So my garlic rocker that I bought because of this thread came today. I had already planned to make a dish that uses 3-4 cloves of garlic so I was excited to use it. I have to say it works just okay. The only real difference between it and what I already had is fewer pieces to clean. Garlic still gets stuck in the openings and after each clove I had to dig them out with a knife. 

The garlic rocker

Similar to what I've been using when I don't just use a knife

• Like 1