Menu

Spinoff: Things you love that everyone should own

Alexigail

Does anyone have that cork-pierce-pour thing that lets you have a glass of wine but leaves the cork sealed? I think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s called Coravin. I want one of these. I have wine I am not drinking entirely because this is the problem. I only want one glass. Nobody else wants wine; DH doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t drink it. So I end up only having my wine when I have guests who will drink it too.

My contribution to this thread: the No-Yank Tank and the Long-Tail Tee shirts from Duluth Trading co. My torso is long and shirts that are too short get on my last dang nerve! But these longer-than-average shirts are awesome. They come to the lower hip and stay down. They are the best!

ETA: name. And wow, I did not know Coravin was so expensive!

Edited by readinmom

Cuddle Duds fleece products.  I especially love their fleece sheets and their fleece tops.  Their fleece leggings are super comfortable and warm, too.  I also have their mittens, which are fine but nothing special, and their socks that I haven't worn yet.  

I love Cuddle Duds, too! Whenever the temp goes below zero, I wear the leggings under my jeans when I go outside.

• Like 2

Does anyone have that cork-pierce-pour thing that lets you have a glass of wine but leaves the cork sealed? I think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s called Coravin. I want one of these. I have wine I am not drinking entirely because this is the problem. I only want one glass. Nobody else wants wine; DH doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t drink it. So I end up only having my wine when I have guests who will drink it too.

My contribution to this thread: the No-Yank Tank and the Long-Tail Tee shirts from Duluth Trading co. My torso is long and shirts that are too short get on my last dang nerve! But these longer-than-average shirts are awesome. They come to the lower hip and stay down. They are the best!

We have a wine thing but I don't know what it's called.  I call it the wine sucker.  You put in a rubber cork, and use a hand pump to pull a vacuum on the bottle, so it reseals the wine.  

I love those Duluth shirts.  I wear the tanks under larger shirts all winter.  

Oh, this is what we have.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9BZQ8R/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B06X9BZQ8R&pd_rd_wg=zdg7A&pd_rd_r=MTCAQZ4PW88ZVPAHSV0F&pd_rd_w=bQr6k

We also have one of these: 

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Cordless-Electric-Bottle-Opener/dp/B003YFI0O6/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1515905911&sr=1-4&keywords=electric+wine+opener+with+charger

I am usually the only one here having any wine, and a half glass does me in.  I reseal it and keep it in the fridge (dry white or dry rosĂƒÂ©).

Edited by laundrycrisis
  • Like 1

We have a wine thing but I don't know what it's called. I call it the wine sucker. You put in a rubber cork, and use a hand pump to pull a vacuum on the bottle, so it reseals the wine.

I love those Duluth shirts. I wear the tanks under larger shirts all winter.

Oh, this is what we have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9BZQ8R/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B06X9BZQ8R&pd_rd_wg=zdg7A&pd_rd_r=MTCAQZ4PW88ZVPAHSV0F&pd_rd_w=bQr6k

We also have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Cordless-Electric-Bottle-Opener/dp/B003YFI0O6/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1515905911&sr=1-4&keywords=electric+wine+opener+with+charger

I am usually the only one here having any wine, and a half glass does me in. I reseal it and keep it in the fridge (dry white or dry rosĂƒÂ©).

That certainly is much more affordable.

Drink your one glass of wine then freeze the rest for stews and sauces.

I have lots of things but don't always think of them because they are part of our lives now.

1.  About 11 years ago I asked my DH to install one of these for Mother's Day for a gift for me.

https://www.amazon.com/InSinkErator-H-HOT150SN-SS-Instant-Dispenser-Stainless/dp/B01LR7AJOQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1515936332&sr=1-4&keywords=insinkerator+hot+water+dispenser

He griped and rolled his eyes.

Last year, after 10 years of DAILY use, it started acting up.  HE is the one who immediately ordered a replacement and installed it!  He uses it at least as much as I do, possibly more.  

2.  We also use our Zojirushi rice maker several times a week.   We just replaced our 18 year old model.

3.  Kavu bag/purse  https://www.amazon.com/KAVU-Rope-Spring-Hodgepodge-Size/dp/B01H5LEZMA/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1515936808&sr=1-1&keywords=kavu+bags+rope+sling+shoulder+sling

4.  Tivo with lifetime service

5.  And my latest?  Velops!  We got the 3 pack and our internet throughout the house has been FANTASTIC!  We have gone from spotty, dropped internet, not getting it in certain parts of the house, and slow speeds (even though we are paying for high!) to consistently getting well over 100mbps speeds on all floors (basement, main, 2nd floor).  I can't believe we lived without them!

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Tri-band-coverage-Replacement-Network/dp/B01N2NLNEH/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1515936862&sr=1-1&keywords=velop

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

Do you have the long tail tanks? Or is it the regular long tail short sleeve tee? IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really interested in these, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve never tried their stuff and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure on the sizing! Any sizing tips? Edited by mmasc

What do you use it for?

We walk almost everywhere. In a typical week I walk to

- running club

- grocery store

- library

- swimming pool

- dance lessons

We also, when it comes up walk to

- othodontist

- dentist

- dinner

- lunch

- telescope at university

It seems it so easily gets packed full. I even carry bags in it for overflow. With the exception of taking my boys to running club I might only get in the car every 3 or 4 weeks when we go visit my parents.

These wireless charger pads for our phones.  https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Certified-Wireless-Anti-Slip-Qi-Enabled/dp/B00C40OG22  (They unavailable but probably just need to restock or are slightly changing the design.  There are other brands, of course.)  I LOVE just setting my phone down on it and not fiddling with a cord in the port.  

Do you have the long tail tanks? Or is it the regular long tail short sleeve tee? IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really interested in these, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve never tried their stuff and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure on the sizing! Any sizing tips?

I bought several shirts at the same time, so I am looking at my order form to see exactly what they are called.

1. WomenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s No Yank Scoop Neck Tank. Size Small (fits perfectly)

2. WomenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Longtail T 3/4 Sleeve Henley T-Shirt. Size Small (but it is too big; im exchanging.)

3. WomenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s No Yank Long Sleeve Scoop Neck T-Shirt. Size Small (fits perfectly)

4. WomenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Free Swingin Flannel Tunic. Size Small (but it is too big)

In summary, the No-Yank line of tops fit close to the body; they make great layering pieces. The size small fits close to the body but is long and will not ride up. The Longtail version does not fit close to the body and I feel the size small is too big. But I do like the length, as it is exactly how I want my tops to be. The flannel top is nice and long, too, but the sleeves are too long and it is also too boxy for me.

The fabric is nice and sturdy. My bra does not show through (much) the white.

• Like 3

I bought several shirts at the same time, so I am looking at my order form to see exactly what they are called.

1. WomenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s No Yank Scoop Neck Tank. Size Small (fits perfectly)

2. WomenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Longtail T 3/4 Sleeve Henley T-Shirt. Size Small (but it is too big; im exchanging.)

3. WomenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s No Yank Long Sleeve Scoop Neck T-Shirt. Size Small (fits perfectly)

4. WomenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Free Swingin Flannel Tunic. Size Small (but it is too big)

In summary, the No-Yank line of tops fit close to the body; they make great layering pieces. The size small fits close to the body but is long and will not ride up. The Longtail version does not fit close to the body and I feel the size small is too big. But I do like the length, as it is exactly how I want my tops to be. The flannel top is nice and long, too, but the sleeves are too long and it is also too boxy for me.

The fabric is nice and sturdy. My bra does not show through (much) the white.

Very helpful...thanks!

• Like 2

For the flip belt how is the sizing? I cannot find my flexible tape measure to save my life. I wear a size 12 or 14 pants. Or a size large or extra large yoga pants in petite. What I get the large? Or the extra large?

If you have a ruler, you can just take a long piece of string or fishing line or dental floss or something, measure yourself, and then measure the string.

• Like 1

The Pampered Chef Mix 'N Chop, which I use for browning ground meat.  I can't stand for there to be big chunks in my ground beef or sausage, and I used to even transfer it to a cutting board and run a chef's knife through it to get chunks.  So much mess!  But this little gadget makes that extra step and mess completely unnecessary.  I also use it for mashing bananas and for breaking up whole canned tomatoes (right in the can or otherwise).  I gave them to my extended family (including kiddos heading off to college in the fall) for Christmas.

• Like 5

I run with an ordinary waist pack that bounces and bounces and is super annoying.  I had no idea about this flip belt thing.  Off to investigate immediately!!!

Love my Thermapen.  I use it constantly.  

I don't know how to describe it, but my DS9 rigged up some contraption that lets me recharge my cell phone while driving -- there's a piece that goes into the  cigarette lighter and then a separate cord that connects that piece to my phone.  Now I plug in my phone every time I get into the car and I never run out of battery.  

Do you have the long tail tanks? Or is it the regular long tail short sleeve tee? IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really interested in these, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve never tried their stuff and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure on the sizing! Any sizing tips?

I have their long tail short sleeve and long sleeve tees. The sizing I got was the same I buy in the stores and I have seen no problems. I want more!

• Like 2

I love, love, love....my rice socks. Yes, it is just a sock filled with rice and tied in a knot but when I have a headache (and I have a lot) a hot rice sock is heavenly. I have an old brown sock I have used for years. My ds14 bought a lovely new pair of soft extra-tall socks and filled them with different weights/lengths of rice for Christmas. My new rice socks are a priceless treasure.

• Like 4

I got tired of chopping garlic by hand because the garlic press only squeezes out half of the garlic clove, so I bought myself the Joe Joe garlic rocker. There is so much less garlic waste with thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Joseph-20037-Crusher-Dishwasher-Stainless/dp/B01ATV4O2O/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515871722&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Joe+Joe+garlic+rocker

( I got mine cheaper from Williams Sonoma with a coupon)

'

What is the like to clean?

'

What is the like to clean?

Mostly rinses off with water, sometimes have to poke a piece or two out, with a fork, but not a big deal. Other brands come with a cleaning tool, but I wanted the original brand based on some of the reviews on Amazon.

I also got the Oxo garlic roller sleeve to get the skin off before I use the rocker.

• Like 2

The cheap workaround to this is to buy a box of wine and keep it in your fridge :-)

• Like 5

Montalbano shampoo from Lush. Smells great, works well, not a liquid so you can pack it in your carry on easily.

https://www.lushusa.com/hair/shampoo-bars/montalbano/05595.html

A PEMF device (pulsed electromagnetic frequency). I own three and they are wonderful for health issues and can even increase telomere length (NASA results). For now, I use mine primarily for anything that causes pain. For someone new who wants to try it for pain, the SOTA works well. Two settings. Far better than a TENS device.

https://www.drpawluk.com/product/sota-magnetic-pulser/

This is on my wish list of gadgets to get this year. :D

https://vielight.com/

• Like 1

The Pampered Chef Mix 'N Chop, which I use for browning ground meat.  I can't stand for there to be big chunks in my ground beef or sausage, and I used to even transfer it to a cutting board and run a chef's knife through it to get chunks.  So much mess!  But this little gadget makes that extra step and mess completely unnecessary.  I also use it for mashing bananas and for breaking up whole canned tomatoes (right in the can or otherwise).  I gave them to my extended family (including kiddos heading off to college in the fall) for Christmas.

I have the OXO brand version of this tool.  My dh eats a lot of ground beef/chicken and I use this tool a lot.  It's so helpful!

The thing I'm enjoying most right now is probably something everyone would be d'uh about.....

I got a teapot for Christmas.  A 45 ounce tea pot and a nice tea cozy that says "You could never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me - CS Lewis".   I drink tea in the morning, and at this time of year, in the evening.  I usually like to have at least two cups in my large 20 ounce mug.  Used to just microwave each cup, but now I heat up a pot of water on the stove, pour it into my teapot, take one cup and put on the cozy.  It keeps it warm for a very long time so I can enjoy each cup.  I love it.

I've had a couple of electric kettles but they die very quickly.  Possibly because of our very hard water but I'm not sure.

• Like 2

Buffs! How does something so thin and that looks and feels like cheap polyester - that I would hate in any other garment - keep me warm when it's cold and windy? I use mine as a headband twice daily when I wash my face, as a makeshift shower cap so my hair doesn't get wet when I'm just showering, as a scarf (think neck warmer), as earmuffs (headband style), as a hat (beanie), etc., etc., etc. DD was in NYC last week in the frigid weather and she said her Buff really helped especially when the wind whipped by. I have a thin, plain one. I've seen them in sporting goods stores, but the selection was abysmal. I am pretty sure it was Corraleno who posted about them and thus taught me about them. Thank you, Corraleno!

Best invention ever.  Every person in my family has a pile of these.  It kills me what they charge for them but worth every penny.  We have them in several different types: regular, loopy, and polar.  I have a set I use only for working out and a set for casual.  I have to wear scarves (and hats and wrist warmers) indoors for half of the year.  Gone are the days of dipping scarf ends into my soup or the dish water or the cat food!

• Like 4

My zojirushi water boiler:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0166OD6PO/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515730564&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=zojirushi+water+boiler&dpPl=1&dpID=418-daaWT3L&ref=plSrch

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been in continuous use at my home for over a decade.

I also love that we replaced our front door key lock with a code lock.

Oh my. You are an awesome enabler. We got it yesterday. I love it. Like, lovelove. Our old house had a dispenser, but since we took it out during a remodel 12 years ago I've lamented it's loss. Really. It's a mandatory on the next house. Until then, I have this. And I love it. So much better than an electric water kettle. THANK YOU

• Like 2

My loopy case for my phone. 

FYI, you can also just buy a finger loop and attach it to your case. That's what I did, and I agree that it's incredibly helpful.

The Pampered Chef Mix 'N Chop, which I use for browning ground meat.  

Absolutely. 

I am going to help out everyone who is moaning about their Amazon carts, or who can't find a good price on something. Register (free) at camelcamelcamel.com and you can enter the link for Amazon items you wish to buy, along with your desired price. The site sends you an email when it reaches the desired price, and I think sometimes when it's not quite at your price but is noted as a very good deal. You can also look at the price history for items when available. 

• Like 1

Oh my. You are an awesome enabler. We got it yesterday. I love it. Like, lovelove. Our old house had a dispenser, but since we took it out during a remodel 12 years ago I've lamented it's loss. Really. It's a mandatory on the next house. Until then, I have this. And I love it. So much better than an electric water kettle. THANK YOU

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m so tempted! How is it better?

Yay! Glad you love it. Be careful though, you might not want to go back to the dispenser once you get used to controlling the temperature yourself. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ¬

• Like 1

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t own this, but somebody should. Every now and then I just watch a video of it. I have a problem.

https://youtu.be/jwfq7y239gE

I do own this and love it! It is used several times a day.

I also own the z water heater mentioned in other posts. I got that before the Breville as a compromise. That was great, but having an automatic tea brewer is better!

• Like 1

Flipbelt for running.  Best product I've purchased in YEARS!  

After you posted this, I ordered one for my son. It came on Saturday, and it's great. He uses it for his insulin pump, and now he can wear that one pair of sweats that doesn't have pockets, and hang out in his onesie and not have to hold the pump. And it's going to make theater so much easier -- especially when he has to change costumes. He use to just unplug for an entire production, and then his blood sugar would be really high by the end. 

I know it's not the "intended" use, but oh so helpful for us!

• Like 13

After you posted this, I ordered one for my son. It came on Saturday, and it's great. He uses it for his insulin pump, and now he can wear that one pair of sweats that doesn't have pockets, and hang out in his onesie and not have to hold the pump. And it's going to make theater so much easier -- especially when he has to change costumes. He use to just unplug for an entire production, and then his blood sugar would be really high by the end. 

I know it's not the "intended" use, but oh so helpful for us!

I'm so glad to hear this!  It's amazing how, rarely, an innovative product can be a life-changer.  

• Like 1

We have the Coravin wine saver. DH got it for my birthday because I only drink wine once a week (max) but I can really taste the different difference in the wine after itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been open even one day.

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s listed on amazon for about $200/$300 depending on the model. It works great! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JD7AT4W/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1516102001&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=coravin&dpPl=1&dpID=31pwWZUgH8L&ref=plSrch

Edited by Sandragood1

We have the Coravin wine saver. DH got it for my birthday because I only drink wine once a week (max) but I can really taste the different difference in the wine after itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been open even one day.

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s listed on amazon for about $200/$300 depending on the model. It works great! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JD7AT4W/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1516102001&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=coravin&dpPl=1&dpID=31pwWZUgH8L&ref=plSrch

The description on Amazon says that it works on any bottle 'with natural cork'.  I think I would spend a lot of time trying to work out whether, under the seal, the cork was natural or plastic.

Ok, what exactly does Plan to Eat do??

I know this was answered but what I love is just the easy to use format for planning and how easy it is to add things, print grocery lists, customize my list, etc. I can also add in freezer meals I've made so they're available to plan for. I can save custom menus, so for camping or special event weeks, I can plan that week and save it to be used again since I usually do the same things every time on those weeks.  I think it took me a year to fall in love with it because at first you don't have any recipes added and you're not in the habit of adding them, so it felt like a waste the first year. But now, I don't want to do without it even if I have a month or two I don't use it. It's worth it even if I used it just one week a month. Also - the Black Friday sale is essential. I skipped a sale one year thinking I didn't really use it that much and then ended up buying several one-off months just to get through to the next sale. 

Also - one important element - I cook new recipes constantly which is also why I like it. If you really only make the same things over and over, the other free apps out there would probably suit someone's needs just fine. 

My undercabinet swivel knife block. My dad has one, and I've never noticed them anywhere else. We've had ours for years, and I love that it doesn't take up room on the counter. Everyone in the family knows which knives go where, so it's simple to pull out what you want.

Stock photo here.

Ooh, I think I like this. I have about 4 knives that I use allllll the time but my large knife block holds several more than that. I would love to get it off the counter and just make space for what I use. 

On that topic, I have a fold down cookbook shelf that I love. It folds complete up and out of the way and one book can still fit on it while stored -- or usually I just put my print out from Plan to Eat for the week with recipes. 

I couldn't survive dinner without my Thermopen. Expensive, but worth it.  No more overcooked meat or overbaked bread. https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwseKzvrV2AIVSYezCh2FWATcEAAYASAAEgKUSfD_BwE

I have been very happy with ours over the years - we were on their mailing list and were able to take advantage of one of the very few deals they offered. It is pricey but I use it practically every time I cook -- even if I just heated chicken nuggets in the oven, I'll pull it out to make sure they're hot enough to eat. 

I am not a wine snob, but I've found the rubber corks that you can suck the air out with to work fine -- I've had a bottle of wine last multiple days with one of those. I never asked DH if he noticed a flavor shift after a day or two, he's more the snob. Also, if the other only works with natural cork, I think a lot of companies have been switching to non-natural cork in recent years. Or at least, I thought I read an article on it and why they are doing so too.

I forgot, you all need a recipe rock! It's for holding a printed sheet of paper (or a few sheets). It holds them upright so you can read them, they are off the counter so you don't spill on them, etc. Can also be used at your desk or whatever. And small so easy to store. Mine is a pretty teal. Love it! Use it all the time. https://www.amazon.com/Architec-Recipe-Black-Magnetic-Holder/dp/B007JZ42RQ

• Like 6

I do own this and love it! It is used several times a day.

I also own the z water heater mentioned in other posts. I got that before the Breville as a compromise. That was great, but having an automatic tea brewer is better!

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d love to own this, but it wouldĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve something else on my counter. I couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get rid of the Zoj because weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re too dependent on it for other things. We use it for Swiss Miss, hot cider, powdered chai, tea bags, heating plates and even pasta water if IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m impatient. Still, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not a thing of beauty like the breville. One day IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll loose my mind and put one in my bedroom with a mini fridge.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d love to own this, but it wouldĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve something else on my counter. I couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get rid of the Zoj because weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re too dependent on it for other things. We use it for Swiss Miss, hot cider, powdered chai, tea bags, heating plates and even pasta water if IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m impatient. Still, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not a thing of beauty like the breville. One day IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll loose my mind and put one in my bedroom with a mini fridge.

We use the Breville for all that too!

• Like 1

Fortunately I only ordered one thing from this thread - the garlic rocker.

I have some twisty towels though I don't know the brand name. Mine came in a two pack from Aldi and I love them. They're the only hair towels I use.

My list of must haves -

-a Kindle or other e-ink ereader (not a tablet or backlit like the Kindle Fire)

-a robot vacuum - mine is a Neato but I'm not particularly brand loyal

-a Roku for streaming if you don't have a smart tv, and especially if you don't have cable or satellite

-a decent set of stainless steel pots and pans - clad on all sides though they don't have to be All Clad brand

-a good set of kitchen knives

-two decent cutting boards, one for meat/seafood and one for everything else

-a decent set of bluetooth headphones or earbuds. I have these and love them. They're not cheap.

A pet or two or more. Preferably furry mammals that like to spend time with their humans and like to cuddle. Cats and/or dogs are best for that purpose. :)

• Like 3