Menu

What's with the ads?

texasmom33

Rethinking School- anyone else reading now?

I also cried with the down syndrome mother and the last guy. Being so accustomed to doing this, sometimes I forget that it's actually like a BIG! choice I've made for the kids and our family in general. Big in all kinds of ways.

So much this. Yes, yes, yes. But I admit, even several years in, every once in a while I still have that "crap, are we really doing this?!?" moments. I wonder if those will ever go away for me. I don't admit those thoughts to family (besides dh) or non-homeschool friends, but I admit them here! 

• Like 2

Oh my.

I don't know if I would have met that with a strike on tasty food from the kitchen or been tempted to bring in a couple of scabs to go on some wonderful field trip. I would have found my patience very stretched. I have one who would have made a great homeschool unionizer if he'd thought of it.

food as a negotiator was not an option. the oldest had the chest freezer in his bedroom and the second oldest had to walk through the pantry to get to his bedroom. I knew that a food war was something that I would not win - 

• Like 1

Oh my.

I don't know if I would have met that with a strike on tasty food from the kitchen or been tempted to bring in a couple of scabs to go on some wonderful field trip. I would have found my patience very stretched. I have one who would have made a great homeschool unionizer if he'd thought of it.

The field trip plan could quite possibly backfire. There may be no sudden change of heart. Instead there may a hearty farewell and pleas to not hurry back. Or, alternatively, there may be just an eye roll.   ;)  

food as a negotiator was not an option. the oldest had the chest freezer in his bedroom and the second oldest had to walk through the pantry to get to his bedroom. I knew that a food war was something that I would not win - 

Food was not a feasible negotiating point here either. I'm not sure it should be anyway. In fact, sometimes my approach is just the opposite -- extra attention to the basics of good food, enough rest, and lots and lots of love from a safe distance. 

(A side note: Anorexia and other eating disorders can involve an aspect of control. Every family and every child is different, but introducing food in any way as leverage might not go as planned...)

• Like 5

My oldest UNIONISED our homeschool. He would get his brothers to go ON STRIKE for up to a week. there was not a single thing that I could do to break up the strike. they would just sit with arms crossed for hours and hours and days..... until they were no longer on strike. it was extremely frustrating to me at the time.

Ha!!! I have one like that. He has to be self motivated. If you punish he gets mad and refuses to cooperate out of spite. If you reward he calmly says, 'I don't do bribes" and then also turns down the work, out of indignation. No carrots, no sticks. 

God love him he may end up may favorite if we don't kill each other. But we've made it 18 years so I'm starting to be hopeful about our mutual survival. 

• Like 5

Yes! SWB in her podcasts is SO different than TWTM. Or her MP3 Audio lectures. 

I think the things in TWTM were "could do" not "should do". And yet somehow it became a guide instead of one possibility. 

Caveat, I haven't read RTS yet....  But I don't know that you would gain a lot trying to reconcile the two.  TWTM was written to help someone who was homeschooling without anyone else they knew to help them, guide them, discuss with them.  And, if I remember correctly, Norton wanted (insisted on?) the time "schedules" in the book.  I think SWB has always had a "softer" sound in person than in the book.  Through the years, I've known of people who referred so strictly to the book that they seemed to be "more SWB than SWB herself."  TWTM certainly has it's place as a guide, but I don't think it was intended to be implemented 100% as written.  So, if you re-read TWTM take it with more salt this time.  Just my .02.  (Also, are you referring to the 4th edition or to a previous one?)

• Like 4

Just added it to my library reserve list. I am in the middle of a Lent Bible study and several other books right now, but I want to at least get a look at it! I may have to put it off fully until summer reading. 

I just finished reading the book. I have 3 kids, all of whom have various combinations of anxiety, ADHD, Dysgraphia, and some undiagnosed things.

I feel like SWB gave me permission to radically change the way we do things. I'm not sure yet what that's going to look like, though. I'm still digesting it all.

• Like 5