Menu

What's with the ads?

leeannpal

newly vegan daughter

My 15 year old daughter has become a vegan for health and ethics reasons. I am a happy meat eater, but have worked hard to eat healthier and decrease carbs. My husband is a meat and potatoes guy who is not interested in changing his diet. For those who are vegan or have kids who are vegan, con you point me in the right direction of vegan recipes and food suggestions? My husband is concerned with my daughter getting enough protein, and I am a little worried myself. I am open to eating more vegan foods myself.

The protein thing is a myth - it really is. https://www.forksoverknives.com/slaying-protein-myth/#gs.CQxGM4I

(& watch the Forks Over Knives documentary while you're on that site!)

I'd suggest you get a copy of Vegan For Her by Virginia Messina as it covers all the health things to look out for specifically for women. 

B12 supplementation is not optional. Make sure she's eating either fortified foods & or taking the supplement. 

My whole family has been vegan for over 5 years (I was vegetarian for many many years before that). It' really is pretty simple. 

There are recipes on the Forks Over Knives site. 

also do check out the Veganuary site as it has a great starter kit including recipes https://veganuary.com/

Happy Healthy Life http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/

chocolate covered katie https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/

Minimalist Baker https://minimalistbaker.com/

• Like 4

The Minimalist Baker is great (we're not vegan but pretty close, and we eat zero dairy or eggs).  Her recipes are generally easy to use and they turn out pretty well, even for someone like me who sucks at baking.

I am not vegan but I do incorporate a fair amount of vegan dishes into our weekly meals.

My favorite sites for recipes:

www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com

www.ohsheglows.com

www.veganricha.com

Protein is very easy to get (e.g., in any bean); certain vitamins aren't, and a multivitamin is called for. Plant foods are generally lower in fat and overall calories than animal products, but she'll be fine if she eats some nuts, cooks a stir-fry in a little oil, puts a bit of Italian dressing on her salad, adds avocado to a veggie sandwich when she might previously have used turkey, etc.

I'm liking Vegan: the Cookbook by Jean-Christian Jury. As with all cookbooks when possible, I got it from my library to try before buying; especially if she's a supertaster and/or not into spicy stuff, I recommend that with vegan cookbooks in particular. I have The How Not to Die Cookbook on hold next.

But many foods you probably already eat are easily veganized:

• Put cooked (or well-rinsed canned) kidney beans instead of ground meat in your spaghetti sauce, for example, and sprinkle a little nutritional yeast on top in place of parmesan.
  • Cook oatmeal with water and finish with a splash of almond milk instead of cow's milk.
  • In almost any dish for which you'd saute some chicken, replace the chicken with cut-up cremini mushrooms.
  • Like 1

Yes, the protein thing is a total myth and drives me crazy.

As for food, you can turn any favorite food into a vegan version. I love pizza! I make the dough & add sauce, veggies, and in lieu of cheese I use nutritional yeast (although they sell processed vegan cheese). Mexican is another favorite, in place of meat, I love mushrooms tossed in taco seasoning. I also add spanish rice and beans to my burritos. Chili is also yummy. In place of meat I add brown rice. Today I just made 5 minute salsa & baked corn chips. Last week I made seitan and used it for fried chicken sandwiches. Really. Anything you normally eat, it’s really easy to make a vegan friendly version of it (cheese Queso from eggplant, Mac & cheese, etc). You can be as healthy as you want or a total junk food addict as a vegan. As for healthy sweets, I love banana ice creamâ¤ï¸

Edited by mytwomonkeys

We're not vegans but eat very little animal products so we often eat vegan-ish.  We like the vegan convenience foods. Boca burgers, Boca crumbles, Gardein Porkless bites, Quorn brand chi'ken (make sure it says Vegan in green on the front).  DD eats a lot of lentils in place of meat.  Daiya cheese is "ok", she really likes Daiya pizzas and their mac&cheese.  

I personally can not stomach nutritional yeast or "cashew cheese" but the daiya was awful.

There are soy and coconut yogurts, ice cream, sour cream, etc... 

*most of these items are frowned on by long term vegan's for various reasons but in our house they just make life easier, when I make stirfry  I can use the Porkless Bites for everyone, Boca crumbles in chili, spaghetti, cottage pie, etc... means everyone can eat the same meal and I don't have to cook for an extra hour or two.  If I didn't use the meat replacements then we'd likely eat more meat.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Thanks for the replies! We've tried the Boca crumbles and cheese substitute, and even my husband liked the crumbles. Thanks for the heads up about B12 and a good multivitamin. We already take a multivitamin, and I take B12, but I'll have my daughter start taking it too. Thanks for the recipe sites. I'm looking forward to having more vegan recipes to choose from. 

His opening paragraph had me  :lol: .

I wish he included some citations in there because I'm genuinely curious about some of his claims.

Rich Roll sometimes irritates me but he can also be pretty funny... 

Have you seen the Vegan RD's Protein Primer? She puts in references for her article. http://www.theveganrd.com/vegan-nutrition-101/vegan-nutrition-primers/plant-protein-a-vegan-nutrition-primer/

fwiw, I think Rich's claim about fruit is false. I think it would be very hard to eat nothing but fruit and get my protein needs. 

• Like 2

I am mostly vegan, but the people I live with and cook for are not.

Vegan Vegetarian Omnivore: Dinner for Everyone at the Table offers great inspiration for that situation.

https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Vegetarian-Omnivore-Dinner-Everyone/dp/0393083012/ref=nodl_

Edited by Penguin

I'm not vegan but often prepare vegan foods.  "Vegan Planet" is an older vegan cookbook that has very simple recipes for just about anything you can think of.  Most of the ingredients are readily available in regular grocery stores.  

Happy Herbivore (books, website, FB)

What Vegan Kids eat (website, FB)

Vegan in the Freezer (website, FB)

All helpful to me.